Preview: Minecraft

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Pirate Yoda Online:
Damn good game.

But Im confused why this is a preview? Minecraft has been out for a good long while now.

The reason it's a Preview, rather than a Review, is because the game is still in development (alpha phase, no less). We may revisit Minecraft with more content when it becomes a full release title - when we would Review the finished work.

Andy of Comix Inc:

It's in Alpha, not Beta. Creator, Notch, plans to bring up his production company, Mahjong Specifications, to a good size, then start working on a single-player campaign for the damn thing, with quests 'n stuff; as well as competitive multiplayer modes.

This game is going to off the hook when it's finished.

Pardon the ignorance, but what is the difference between Alpha and Beta?

Minecraft is epic, and still only in Alpha stage!

It's been keeping me from playing Fallout: New Vegas, F1 2010, Black Ops (yet to buy even), Assassin's Creed Brotherhood (also yet to buy), Far Cry 2, and some others...

Lots of potential, hope Notch goes in the correct direction with it.

I don't know whether to thank you or CURSE YOU. This review (and the X's Adventures in Minecraft videos) made me decide to get it and now I'm utterly hooked and damn you I've got work to do...

Haha, yay, I found out about Minecraft through X as well!

Also, it's Lego, not Legoes.

PoisonUnagi:

OctalLord:

archvile93:
How does the combat work in Minecraft exactly?

The monsters come out(usually at night.) and you right click to attack. You can build swords out of various materials(The better the grade the better damage the sword outputs. So Rock>Wood) you can also build bows. That's about it.

You can also build armor of various kinds to reduce how much damage you take. Those also take the same form of Rock>Wood.)

There's also(Also!) some people who've made traps that usually explode either killing the monsters outright or dropping them into a hole they can't get out of. But those are a little more complicated.

There's no Light>Dark or Ice>Fire type additives to the combat. It's really just that simple.

You can right click to attack with a sword?
Didn't know that, I've been using left click.

>.< Obviously, I need more sleep. I'm getting my left/rights mixed up.

@Archvile93, Yea... it's left click.

Good example of game that has depth is Minecraft. usually people when they first play it say ''WTF!'' because there is no tutorial in the game(yet),but when you get the hang of it, it's great fun.recommend the game for everyone. =)http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page

Goddammit! I thought I was past giggling at "Butts" :(

Explorator Vimes:

Andy of Comix Inc:

It's in Alpha, not Beta. Creator, Notch, plans to bring up his production company, Mahjong Specifications, to a good size, then start working on a single-player campaign for the damn thing, with quests 'n stuff; as well as competitive multiplayer modes.

This game is going to off the hook when it's finished.

Pardon the ignorance, but what is the difference between Alpha and Beta?

Alpha is quite literally the first build out of the gate. A Beta, however, is the last build before it finishes. Usually an Alpha is kept in-house for testing purposes - the unfinished, unpolished version of the software. A Beta is usually always feature-complete, used for testing purposes.

So yeah. Alpha is unfinished, Beta is feature-complete yet unpolished, then.. final build is what you release as a product.

I feel kind of depressed after reading these comments and seeing a whole bunch of people describing Minecraft as a 'time sink'. I have never, repeat, never experienced a game that has so much creative potential in it before. You make your own fun in this game - I've built my cliffside mining base, now what? I think I'll build a castle on that hilltop so I can survey the countryside. Hmm, I think I'll need to expand the mines to get all the stone I'll need for the castle. And I'd better build a minecart rollercoaster to ferry the raw materials swiftly to the building site. And I'll divert this river so I have an underground water source beneath the castle. Maybe give it a lava moat too, like it's Bowser's castle or something. Five (real time) days later... now I feel like building a lighthouse off the coast so I can see it at night from my castle tower! And yet it seems that even this kind of unbridled creative freedom isn't enough for some people, because if it doesn't have clearly defined 'objectives' or 'achievements' to grind for, then apparently there is no sense of accomplishment?

When I was a kid, my parents wouldn't let me watch TV for the first eight years of my life; instead, I spent most of my time playing with Lego. Minecraft is pretty much the modern equivalent of that.

hem dazon 90:
I'll play mine craft when it has friendlies.

It does. Survival Multiplayer.

Hey, That's my Enterprise :)

Nice to see its' still popular!

Great preview! For the first time, someone has actually told me WHAT minecraft is. WHY has this been so hard to tell me? Heres a few examples of what people have told me before:

"its an outlet for creativity"

"its a sims building game"

"just download it idiot"

"its an intellectual game"

Seriously, is it so hard to just say "its a creative game where you break down materials, combine em to new ones, and then build stuff of it"?

Again, great preview!

Andy of Comix Inc:

Alpha is quite literally the first build out of the gate. A Beta, however, is the last build before it finishes. Usually an Alpha is kept in-house for testing purposes - the unfinished, unpolished version of the software. A Beta is usually always feature-complete, used for testing purposes.

So yeah. Alpha is unfinished, Beta is feature-complete yet unpolished, then.. final build is what you release as a product.

Thanks, makes sense, just hadn't heard of an Alpha build before, I guess because most games don't really get discussed until the Beta phase, at least I don't look too hard at games before that phase anyway.

Explorator Vimes:
hadn't heard of an Alpha build before, I guess because most games don't really get discussed until the Beta phase,

Like I said, Alpha is usually in-house. This is the build before the game is even remotely finished, and quite likely before even a publisher has signed on. Alpha is the bare-bones version of a game that is used, not just for testing, but for building on; the fact you haven't heard of an Alpha (or games before they reach Beta) is because games barely exist at that stage.

The fact Minecraft is so wildly popular, even at this unfinished, in-development stage, that will change radically over the course of 2011, is all but a testament to the staying power of its core gameplay. High-concept, well-executed games like Minecraft don't need bucketloads of polish to be successful. It's Alpha build goes to prove this.

It was definitely worth the 10 euro.

I'm really glad that the Escapist released this review. The fact that it was released this soon after Minecraft's inception really demonstrates how the magazine is always on the cutting edge of gaming phenomena.

To be honest, most people who play Minecraft today probably learned about it through this review (due to its publication before the massive influx of popularity), so it's great the The Escapist is supporting the indie community.

Maybe it was my time with Dwarf Fortress, but I never bothered trying to build above ground buildings. I picked a hill and just started to tunnel down.

Generic Gamer:
I love Minecraft. I was recently made single and two months ago I had my account locked by choice. For those two months I have been playing Minecraft.

Now it's still an alpha, no real NPCs, no quests or anything because an alpha is for testing the stability of the game world. That's why it's so slim at the moment, Notch is literally getting the world working.

I recently came up with the idea of wooden scaffolding, I'm building a sky castle and when I'm done I'm going to burn away the scaffolding and use a tree plantation on the roof to access the surface world. Literally burning my bridges should stop creepers!

Notch said that he wanted to implement incentive in single-player in the form of a story of some sort.

I hope that it gains an RPG-like mode with quests and all that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here