Monopoly: House Rules Edition will include house rules crowdsourced from around the globe and selected via Facebook.
Hasbro will release Monopoly: House Rules Edition this fall and the company is soliciting feedback about which player-created rules to include. Starting today through April 3, fans are encouraged to visit the Monopoly Facebook page and partake in a discussion about the pros and cons of 10 house rules that were selected as a result of global crowdsourcing. After the debate, Hasbro will identify the top house rules and incorporate them into Monopoly: House Rules Edition. Further, the chosen rules will be included in the classic Monopoly game guide in 2015.
Just how popular are house rules? According to a recent survey conducted by Hasbro, 49 percent of Americans said they’ve made up their own Monopoly rules, and 68 percent admitted to not having read the official rules in their entirety.
The ten house rules chosen for debate are:
- Free Parking, Fast Cash: All taxes and fees will be collected in the middle of the game board, if you land on Free Parking, it’s your lucky day: collect all the money from the middle of the board.
- Dash for the Cash: Landed on Go! Amazing, you get to double your salary – 400M dollars instead of 200M Dollars.
- Frozen Assets Rule: When in jail, a player cannot collect any rent money from other players. Sorry about your luck.
- Lucky Roller: Did you just Roll Snake Eyes (double one’s)… odds are in your favor, collect 500M Dollars.
- 3’s a Crowd: Are there 3 players in a row on 3 unique properties? Well done, each player gets an extra 500M Dollars.
- Cash Advance: Don’t have enough to buy Boardwalk? With this House Rule, players can make loans between each other to co-own properties. Who collects rent money? That’s determined amongst the new property owners!
- Break The Bank: At the start of the game, leave half the money in the bank. Then mix up the other half of the money in the center of a board. On the count of 3 every player grabs what they can! Free For All!
- Mum’s the Word: Mum always gets out of jail free. Always. No questions asked. She’s just that special.
- See the Sights: Players must travel around the board one complete time before they can begin buying properties. Hurry up and get to GO before everyone else!
- Property Boom: Anxious to begin building? We hear you- with this rule, players do not have to own a complete set of properties before they start to build houses.