Square Enix and developer Tri-Ace announced Star Ocean: The Divine Force for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5 with a debut trailer during today’s State of Play presentation. (Update: It is also coming to Xbox One, Xbox Series X | S, and PC via Steam.) The game’s reveal trailer sets the stage for Xenoblade-like visuals and exploration for the latest entry in the fantasy sci-fi RPG series. Square Enix and Tri-Ace say that Star Ocean: The Divine Force helps celebrate the series’s 25th anniversary, bringing “a plethora of different playable characters and side stories, and a unique battle system that allows for thrilling fights using simple and instinctive controls.”
With the game set to arrive on PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5, it’s not surprising to see quite the visual showcase this time around. The trailer does show lots of large-scale battles and fast-paced combat, and in a post at the PlayStation.Blog, several more details are revealed, including the following:
- A story that changes based on the choices made, where heroes intersect between the two worlds of sci-fi and fantasy
- A rich lineup of playable characters
- Freedom to fly around the environment
- Three-dimensional traversal and exploration where everything in-sight is a field for adventure
- The Star Ocean game with the fastest and mightiest action in the series
Furthermore, the “Double Hero” system will return, in which the story plays out from the perspective of both advanced and underdeveloped civilizations. Specific details about playable characters can be found at the PlayStation.Blog. Otherwise, check out the Star Ocean The Divine Force reveal trailer below.