Strange habits you have

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Well just a few moments ago I was doing my daily ritual of cleaning the dirt and filth out of my Xbox controller and realised how wierd it was that I do it to every thing I can get my hands on. I usually get a toothpick and clean dirt out of the cracks and semes on my computer, controller etc. but I never actually clean anyhting else just the dirt that gets clogged up. I get excited out how joyous it is. Another wierd habit I have is when i'm in a group and knowone is talking to me and I cant be bothered listening I usually start scratching my head and doing random gestures (like the typical Bioware character, you know, the ones that scratch there heads walk around a bit then cross their arms). I also have many other habits that I find wierd but thats the only one I can think of right now.

So escapists, do you have any habits that you find wierd or anyone else finds wierd?

Captcha: panic button.... uhh.... ahh.... were is it, Im freaking out down here, omg were all gonna dieeee.

Yes. I am proud of my mental disorder.

I get an unatural amount of joy out of putting pictures on my walls

I'm a twitcher. It seems that I have to have some kind of facial habit at any given time. I want to replace it with shaking my head since that's less of a turn-off weird.

Nouw:
I'm a twitcher. It seems that I have to have some kind of facial habit at any given time. I want to replace it with shaking my head since that's less of a turn-off weird.

I kinda have that aswell but I do it with my feet when im stationary and sitting down.

GethBall:

Nouw:

I kinda have that aswell but I do it with my feet when im stationary and sitting down.

You could say you're a 'compulsive' dancer :P.

If I've something I need to deliver or anything of monetary value on hand, I'll grow rather paranoid. Occasionally it gets to the point where I'll start to believe that said object has somehow disappeared. I'll feverishly have to check my pockets/bag/what have you. Even if I quell my fear it only resurfaces after a few minutes. It's irrational, but I just can't get over it!

My weirdest habit is that I have to sing. I mean have to. I hate silence. In lectures, I sing under my breath :P I'm also a twitcher, or fidgeter, or whatever you call it :)

I sleep on the floor.
There is a perfectly good bed, which is quite comfy, in my room but still I sleep much better on the floor.

when concentrating i have to be chewing soothing, be it a pen, chewing gum or finger nails. don't know why, at least i stopped chewing my shirts collar like i did when i was a child

I always have to mute everyone in a COD lobby. Even if the person isn't talking, I just have to.

I keep clicking every five seconds or so if I'm watching a youtube video, just off the side of it, where it won't pause.
Don't know why I do it, but if I don't, I get really annoyed.

GethBall:
Well just a few moments ago I was doing my daily ritual of cleaning the dirt and filth out of my Xbox controller and realised how wierd it was that I do it to every thing I can get my hands on. I usually get a toothpick and clean dirt out of the cracks and semes on my computer, controller etc. but I never actually clean anyhting else just the dirt that gets clogged up. I get excited out how joyous it is.

So escapists, do you have any habits that you find wierd or anyone else finds wierd?

You are not alone friend. I do this a little too often and there is nothing more satisfying than it being clean. Cleaning the laptop isn't as often but my controller gets that treatment all the time.

OT: Washing my hands and feet all the time. First it was my hands, then it moved onto my feet.Very relaxing and soothing.
Er, I like volume to be on an even number, I have to have my game piles in a certain way or it irritates me.

Nouw:

GethBall:

Nouw:

You could say you're a 'compulsive' dancer :P.

Thats nailed me down to a tee.

If my hands arn't moving, you can bet my feet are!

I also have a thing for being really high up. So I frequently stand on furniture so my head is near the ceiling. My flatmates don't notice anymore and neither do I really. Its just something I sometimes do.

VaudevillianVeteran:
Er, I like volume to be on an even number, I have to have my game piles in a certain way or it irritates me.

Guilty on both counts... after a fashion...

Volume can only be on the following settings (/100): 10; 20; 25; 33; 50; 67; 75; & 100. Don't ask...

And my games are (if 'filed') separated by platform, genre (self-classification), series and title alphabetical. Basically typically serial-killer level of OCPD-ness.

Other than that... whenever I go down the stairs at home, since my head will hit the ledge/thing/whatever it is if I don't duck, I've taken to rapping it with my knuckles. Done that since I was 12/13...

And there's the really eccentric finger-twiddle I do whenever I'm about to type a shitload.

-_-

I have always had this tick where I will silently repeat to myself whatever I just said aloud to someone. Being from the southern US, I've always figured that its because we speak so darn slow, my brain works faster than my mouth does and I have to mentally check if what I said was right.

It is difficult to break my self of it. In professional settings I have to consciously make myself not do it.

VaudevillianVeteran:
Er, I like volume to be on an even number,

Haha...... same here. I always have it on the 5 system, like 10, 15, 20, 30 etc.

Mr_RogersCU13:
I have always had this tick where I will silently repeat to myself whatever I just said aloud to someone. Being from the southern US, I've always figured that its because we speak so darn slow, my brain works faster than my mouth does and I have to mentally check if what I said was right.

It is difficult to break my self of it. In professional settings I have to consciously make myself not do it.

I did that when I was a kid. Stopped when I was about eight.

My feet are always moving, or my knees are always bobbing. Compulsive dancer right here. When I'm alone and walking around, I do break into bouts of full on dancing.

Someone once tried to tell me that people with twitchy feet/legs are people who haven't gotten any in a while. I then debunked this, as I'd recently gotten slightly past second base... :P

VaudevillianVeteran:

GethBall:
Well just a few moments ago I was doing my daily ritual of cleaning the dirt and filth out of my Xbox controller and realised how wierd it was that I do it to every thing I can get my hands on. I usually get a toothpick and clean dirt out of the cracks and semes on my computer, controller etc. but I never actually clean anyhting else just the dirt that gets clogged up. I get excited out how joyous it is.

You are not alone friend. I do this a little too often and there is nothing more satisfying than it being clean. Cleaning the laptop isn't as often but my controller gets that treatment all the time.

OT: Washing my hands and feet all the time. First it was my hands, then it moved onto my feet.Very relaxing and soothing.

The even thing, me too. Especially ice trays. If I take any ice out, I always leave an even number in the tray.

When I go to the toilet, I always take my watch off and put it down as close as possible to where I was sitting.
When using a bolt-action weapon on a game, the number of rounds in reserve must be an exact multiple of the magazine size.

GethBall:

I know that feel :D I usually use a drawing pin though. Seeing the grime pile up as you run the sharp point down the seams of a controller or mouse is just so satisfying. However, I only do it after a while of having not done it - I couldn't imagine doing it every day because there would be no filth built up to remove haha. Oh, I also do it with my headphones too.

OT: I'm constantly changing my seating position, or cracking my knuckles, or tapping my feet, or looking around, or scratching, or rolling my head or... basically, I'm never able to sit still for too long. Watching people around me in a programming exam recently, I was amazed at how they can just *sit* there, in the one position for so long. Might be why I'm so skinny - fidgeting isn't exactly strenuous exercise, but when you do it for hours on end each day, it probably adds up ;)

I'm almost always bouncing my knee, if that makes sense.

My OCD in general.

I count in German, despite not speaking the language and having nothing to do with the country.

I also compulsively click my mouse while browsing websites.

I randomly highlight text on a website when I'm reading... over and over again.

If my fingers smell even a tiny bit "off" I HAVE to wash them till they smell good.

I love fiddling with metal things next to my computer. Keychains, pens, scissors, anything which has that nice metallic feel.

When I'm not using the mouse for anything I throw the cursor across the screen randomly.

When I eat I will eat everything on the plate separately and always in the same order and when I get a single piece of cutlery from the draw (doesn't happen with multiple pieces) I will purposefully pick it up the wrong way and then spin it round.

Another one: When I'm finished eating a packet of crisps I always fold it up lengthways and tie it into a knot.

My weirdest habit is eating the bits of bacon fat that are sometimes in the frying pan, nice and crispy.

Volume, hell any value I can change must be either a multiple of 5 or 2. But preferably 5. So, 5, 10, 12, 15, 18, 20...

I occasionally do idle animations. And I've caught myself walking like Ezio or John Marston after playing Assassin's Creed and RDR. >.>

Oh, and I talk in accents. Because I can. Mostly while counting or reading something aloud to other people. My German and Russian accents are the best, though I admit it's mostly just copying Richtofen and Nikolei from COD Zombies. >.>

I constantly highlight text when I'm on the internet, as well as think in Japanese, getting irritated when I can't remember how to say a word.

Obsessive organizing in my day to day life. I find that shit oddly therapeutic.

Nouw:
I'm a twitcher.

I assumed you meant birdwatcher at first.

smithy_2045:
I'm almost always bouncing my knee, if that makes sense.

I know a couple of guys who do that. People claim it's a sign of sexual tension. ;)

When I'm drinking a Arizona sweet tea or any soda can I always crush in the top part with my fingers while I drink it.

I didn't realize how frequently I stick my tongue out until a budding photographer started taking pictures of my softball games and every action shot of me fielding, jumping, throwing or swinging a bat has my tongue desperately trying to escape my mouth. Ever since I've been aware of it in an intense scene when, say, I'm trying to land three headshots as rapidly as I can with no margin for error.

I also squish my eyeballs by rubbing them with the palm of my hand on my closed eyelids. Like cracking my neck, now that I'm married I don't do it nearly as much as I've been made aware of how disturbing it is. I can't remember the last time I've cracked my neck unless it was because of someone babbling loudly on their cell phone while standing behind me in line at the grocery store, or squished my eye unless it was really itchy (I just finished installing fiberglass insulation, sorry honey).

I'm OCD over the number 4. My brother's OCD over the number 3. My wife's OCD over the number 5. When we were dating, we always kissed 4 or 5 times, but never 3.

I count. People, steps, things. I can't stand to see something go by without counting it. I also count to go to sleep.. not sheep, just counting. It's a little game I play with myself to trick me into going to sleep.

I pre-have conversations, at least my side of them. If I want to say something to someone/talk to someone about something, I have the conversation with myself several times, usually sort of aloud, before I actually say anything to them. It's a way of getting my words straight since I have horrible social skills and anxiety about interacting with people.

Also, I full-on talk to myself. Especially when I'm in public (like a store). I walk around, talking to myself about what I'm looking for or where I'm going or something/ANYTHING because it distracts me from the previously mentioned anxiety/panic. I often get so lost in talking to myself that I completely miss it if someone else talks to me.

Oh, there's lots more. I'm pretty much made of weird. :-/ But, that's enough. Haha.

I talk to myself when I'm playing games or alone watching cartoons in the morning. It helps me overcome my loneliness...*sniff* ;_;

I have this red screwdriver I mess around with when I'm using the computer.

Lastly, I walk back and forth when I'm waiting for something. I can never stand still. If I have to, it makes me feel uncomfortable. Which is why, during class, I'm always swinging my legs or fiddling with my pen or something like that.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked