Image Source: Amazon Prime

Is Prime Video’s Fallout TV Show Canon?

Prime Video has officially dropped its live-action Fallout show, and you may be wondering if it’s canon, so to find out the answer to your question, read on.

Recommended Videos

Is the Fallout TV Series Canon?

Yes, the Fallout TV series is canon. In November, Bethesda’s Todd Howard said that the company was treating the events of the show as canon. While it’s entirely possible they may choose to de-canonize or retcon some elements of it later, at the time of writing, it’s best to treat everything that happens in Prime Video’s Fallout as an official part of the series.

Without going into spoilers, there are some aspects of the existing Fallout canon that the franchise plays with, including fleshing out the causes of the nuclear war that ended the world, and several other elements. There are also a few things that tweak existing franchise canon in notable ways that I’ve already noticed proving controversial online. Overall, the series takes place quite late in the franchise timeline and in doing so answers questions about what happened to a lot of major players in the video game universe. That being said, if you haven’t played the games, the show is, in my opinion, pretty accessible.

Overall, reviews for Fallout Season 1 have been quite positive. At the time of writing, the show holds an 93 percent on Rotten Tomatoes with an audience score of 85 percent. I had the chance to watch the entire season before it officially released, and I can say that, as a long time fan of the series, I really enjoyed it overall.

Fallout Season 1 is available to stream now in its entirety on Prime Video. The show was created by Graham Wagner and Geneva Robertson-Dworet. It stars Ella Purnell, Aaron Moten, Kyle MacLachlan, and Walton Goggins, among others.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Furiosa: Is Tom Hardy in the Mad Max: Fury Road Prequel?
Tom Hardy as Max Rockatansky in Mad Max: Fury Road
Read Article Agatha: Who Does Joe Locke Play in the MCU Series?
Joe Locke and Marvel Comics character Billy Kaplan/Wiccan
Read Article X-Men ’97: Who Is Theo James’ Character, Bastion?
Bastion in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Related Content
Read Article Furiosa: Is Tom Hardy in the Mad Max: Fury Road Prequel?
Tom Hardy as Max Rockatansky in Mad Max: Fury Road
Read Article Agatha: Who Does Joe Locke Play in the MCU Series?
Joe Locke and Marvel Comics character Billy Kaplan/Wiccan
Read Article X-Men ’97: Who Is Theo James’ Character, Bastion?
Bastion in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Author
Liam Nolan
Liam Nolan has been the Managing Editor at The Escapist since August 2023, during which time he's covered Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, Starfield, and several other major releases. After getting his Master of Arts in English in 2016, he began writing about comics, television, movies, and video games, with his work appearing at such outlets as Marvel.com, CBR, and The Mary Sue. When he's not writing on pop culture, you can find Liam working on his creative projects or traveling. You can follow him on Twitter @LD_Nolan or on Bluesky @ldnolan.bsky.social.