The Ratings War V: Original Sin - Finals (Winner Announced)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Zemalac:
I have to ask...is the use of the word aurum a reference to the song?

Well, not a reference per se, though I probably wouldn't have thought to use the word if it weren't for your song, so I suppose in a sense it is to your credit...

Would it be possible for me to join? I've got a character thought up and everything... And a pretty open schedule (meaning that I usually stay awake late enough after work to post). I've worked on a few different RP boards with multiple characters... So.. yeah. If at all possible, add me into this shindig.

Soothsayer:
Would it be possible for me to join? I've got a character thought up and everything... And a pretty open schedule (meaning that I usually stay awake late enough after work to post). I've worked on a few different RP boards with multiple characters... So.. yeah. If at all possible, add me into this shindig.

You have until the 9th of September to get your entries in, so go ahead.

Soothsayer:

Welcome to the game, and welcome to the Escapist RP boards. You don't have to write up a resume to join, just a character sheet: the tournament itself will determine how well that character works with your writing style.

Sam G:

Zemalac:
I have to ask...is the use of the word aurum a reference to the song?

Well, not a reference per se, though I probably wouldn't have thought to use the word if it weren't for your song, so I suppose in a sense it is to your credit...

I claim credit.

On a vaguely related note, it really is good to see Kingsley again. I like the idea of him having become a gold-based cyborg. It suits him, and sort of incorperates the ending of the Logician's story from our round--you know, him turning into that metal that absorbed everything, like how he's literally turning into gold now...I dunno, maybe I'm reading too deep into things. It's cool, is what I'm saying.

This makes my day. I think I'll try out something a little different than my norm...

EDIT: Did some editing, made the writing a little smoother. Did a little bit of working around, made it prettier to look at. Also, I added a commentary. Yeah, sorry.

@Nukey: @sky14kemea: @wesdabigman:

I've decided to take back my idea of myself being the decider because you guys have expressed a large interest. If Nukey or the other judges are unable to judge, temporarily or permanently, or miss the deadline, then I will take their place as judge. That sound good by you?

Here's the cast now:

Judges:

1) Nukey
2) wesdabigman
3) sky14kemea

Contestants:

Fallen-Angel-Risen-Demon: Digaina (Pride)
RagnorakTres: That Which Bleeds (Wrath)
NewClassic: Harold (Sloth)
HSIAMetalKing: Eurania (Gluttony)
Jarsteen: Leviathan (Envy)
Sam G: The Gold King (Greed)
The_Logician19: Dragon (Wrath)
Zemelac: Pending
Labyrinth: Pending
Fraught: Pending
Lost In The Void: Pending
pigeon_of_doom: Pending
Shapsters: Pending
revolverwolf: Pending
Soothsayer: Pending

A friend demanded me to return and enter myself as contestant. I am willing and able, so long as I have Krunk's permission.

(This Space reserved for character sheet.)

Crowghast:
I am willing and able, so long as I have Krunk's permission.

Definitely.

So there's been a bit of mucking around with the cast recently: Ultrajoe's dropped out unless a certain condition is met, which I shall not reveal just to see if it is. Trust me on this one. Logician's changed his intro and vice somewhat, perfectly legal with 9 days to go, and @RagnorakTres: I'm getting right to reading over your entry as soon as I type this.

Here's the cast now:

Judges:

1) Nukey
2) wesdabigman
3) sky14kemea

Contestants:

The_Logician19: Dragon (???)
Zemelac: Pending
Fraught: Pending
Lost In The Void: Pending
Shapsters: Pending
Soothsayer: Pending
Crowghast: Pending

16 Contestants. The greatest number. So divisible by 2...

God darn it, I finally did it. I really wanted to join this thing (even though I feel inadequate compared to some of the other competitors, you know who you are) and even though I got off to a decent start, as soon as I reached "weapons", the first sign of creative drought started lurching up to me, poking its soft, wet, snotty nose against my toes, eagerly burrowing into them like a bad, fictional infection that just won't go away, sliding its way under my skin closer and closer to my face, and covering everything as it neared. The second I reached for further pastures, particularly "powers", I felt that no matter what, I just can't seem to even shuffle through this, no matter how hard I try.

Well, now I got my shit together, and I decided "eh, fuck it if it sucks, I'll just try to come up with something. I can't let someone down with an RP, especially as I've stopped participating in RPs because other people have done it to me, and to the creators of awesome RPs I've participated in that I've wanted to live on prosperously until the story reaches a satisfying ending, but I've been disappointed before. I can't be such a hypocritic, I've got to do it."

...And here I am. I hope it's satisfactory.

Also, Nuke, I noticed my character has one particular thing that is pretty similar to yours, but I ensure you, I didn't read any character sheets before writing this, and it is just a coincidence. Besides, I didn't have any other ideas for "powers" for a regular, every day, average Joe that my character was...supposed to...be. Even though he maybe turned into something a bit different.

Bah.. I hope this is good. I finally got around to writing this around 3 AM and finished around 5... So I apologize for any grammatical, spelling or just plain stupid errors throughout the text. Thanks for allowing me to join though.

Also, I realize I use a lot of ellipsi... ellipsies... ellipsises... Whatever the plural form of using the three dots at the end of sentences. Apologies if that gets annoying from time to time.

Now, I'm going to go pass out for multiple hours and hope that I get a "COOL STORY BRAH" from you people. Also, I fear several profiles already and agree with the raccoon person above me about feeling inadequate.

Also, Logician, effing love Soren. And your character. But more Soren. Cuz sages rule. Also, infuriatingly short sentences. Haven't taken the time to read or look at any one else's characters other than skimming, to be honest... so hopefully I do that before this starts and I get horribly maimed by someone I didn't realize had "Derp, killz yew" powers.

I'm hoping to rely not on an awesome character winning battles but rather a lame character getting lucky and not being killed. Hopefully I can be creative enough to get past the first round ^^

Sorry for not responding to your PM for so long, Krunk, but I haven't been able to think up a character until now.

I'll write up the character sheet and intro either later today or in the last few days of my Summer Holidays. I can't do it now since I'm off to visit my grandparents for the day in half an hour.

Soothsayer:
Now, I'm going to go pass out for multiple hours and hope that I get a "COOL STORY BRAH" from you people. Also, I fear several profiles already and agree with the raccoon person above me about feeling inadequate.

I don't know if I should be happy that you at least read my post, or if I should feel grudgeful towards you for referring to me as "the raccoon person". I think I'll go do something that fits both: I'll just kill you. That makes me very happy, but at the same time, might seem as me having a deadly grudge against you for..."you know what".

I suggest locking all your doors and windows and chimney(s) tight. Just to make things harder for me (but only harder!). I'll get in anyway, but y'know. Resistance is never futile.

Also, I don't feel inadequate! I am totally the most bestest person to ever enter this competishun, in every shense of da word. Word, yo. Gimme a low-five, yo. Have fun, yo. Fun with me kiking yo' arsshe, yo.

ALSO, man, your character is one cocky dude.

Fraught:

I don't know if I should be happy that you at least read my post, or if I should feel grudgeful towards you for referring to me as "the raccoon person". I think I'll go do something that fits both: I'll just kill you. That makes me very happy, but at the same time, might seem as me having a deadly grudge against you for..."you know what".

I suggest locking all your doors and windows and chimney(s) tight. Just to make things harder for me (but only harder!). I'll get in anyway, but y'know. Resistance is never futile.

Also, I don't feel inadequate! I am totally the most bestest person to ever enter this competishun, in every shense of da word. Word, yo. Gimme a low-five, yo. Have fun, yo. Fun with me kiking yo' arsshe, yo.

ALSO, man, your character is one cocky dude.

Killing is always the way to answer all of your problems. Just be sure to torture said person until they put you into his/her will beforehand so you can get lots of free stuff. Granted, weaseling your way into my will would simply involve you getting a small, dirty piece of paper and about thirty-five cents.

I have no doors and windows (and thus, no chimney), just a small, very damp and termite-infested box on the side of the street. In fact, it's not even a box and more a piece of paper I wrote "BOX" on a while back so I wouldn't feel so bad about my living conditions.

I have no idea why you'd hate me for referring to you as a raccoon, for that is your avatar. Perhaps if I changed it from "raccoon" to "badass raccoon with a lightsaber that kills a fly" it would make all of the hurt I caused go away? Either that or I could call you by your name... That may work as well.

I also see you've got an absolute poo-ton of posts under you belt and feel like I probably deserve to get shot by you and the other vets since I'm going to die horribly regardless. I'm going to go buy a bullet proof vest with three weeks of my income and hope to god you guys don't have teflon coated bullets. Or swords. Or rocket launchers. Or control over bees. Or anything that isn't a very small gun.

And thanks...? I was attempting to make him that way and actually thought that Pride would have been a good choice for his Vice, but then decided against it because he's more insane than cocky... though I don't think I do the whole insanity-bit very well.

Soothsayer:
I have no idea why you'd hate me for referring to you as a raccoon, for that is your avatar. Perhaps if I changed it from "raccoon" to "badass raccoon with a lightsaber that kills a fly" it would make all of the hurt I caused go away? Either that or I could call you by your name... That may work as well.

I also see you've got an absolute poo-ton of posts under you belt and feel like I probably deserve to get shot by you and the other vets since I'm going to die horribly regardless. I'm going to go buy a bullet proof vest with three weeks of my income and hope to god you guys don't have teflon coated bullets. Or swords. Or rocket launchers. Or control over bees. Or anything that isn't a very small gun.

And thanks...? I was attempting to make him that way and actually thought that Pride would have been a good choice for his Vice, but then decided against it because he's more insane than cocky... though I don't think I do the whole insanity-bit very well.

I demand more individuality than just being associated with a type of mammal. You could call me by my username, yes. Do.

Also, since you live in a box, where did you get that..."income", anyway? Also, is a lightsaber accepted as a sword? Because you're bullet-proof vest sure won't do much against it.

And yeah, thank me. THANK ME HARDER! Ahem...
...anyway, I actually liked it. And you should definitely try to make him more insane. I love insane characters. I actually act pretty insane in other...places...too, not just in RPs (but don't tell them, I pull it off so well they have no clue it's a show).

Sheet is finally done

Edit: Added my intro

Sorry for a lack of character yet, but whenever I make one I look at it for five seconds, shake my head at the failure and then have to scrap it because I hate the character or they just don't make sense to me. I just really don't want to have a 'oh wow, isn't this contestant hilariously insane?' character that will blur into the background. I think I've been through at least 3 ideas like this already... 5 days left...

Look, I will have it done. Even if I have to delve into the deepest recesses of my mind to unearth relics that must remain asleep to secure my sanity, I will make a character. I swear by it.

Judges:

1) Nukey
2) wesdabigman
3) sky14kemea

Contestants:

The_Logician19: Dragon (???)
Soothsayer: Beauxhart (Greed, Envy, Wrath)
Fraught: Chance Connie (Wrath)
Lost In The Void: Frederic (Wrath, Envy)
Shapsters: Ryan (Envy)
Zemalac: Pending
Zombie_Fish: Pending

So that's 17 entrants with 11 definites. That's pretty well rounded for a Ratings War.

Crowghast, Zombie and revolverwolf have replied thus far confirming their entry, so that's great as well. @Labyrinth: @pigeon_of_doom: @Zemalac: could I get some confirmation from you guys too?

Lord Krunk:

Crowghast, Zombie and revolverwolf have replied thus far confirming their entry, so that's great as well. @Labyrinth: @pigeon_of_doom: @Zemalac: could I get some confirmation from you guys too?

Ah, right. Yes, I am writing up a character. Not entirely sure how I'll get time to write my rounds, but I think I can manage.

Zemalac:

Lord Krunk:

Ah, right. Yes, I am writing up a character. Not entirely sure how I'll get time to write my rounds, but I think I can manage.

Just let me know if you need an extension in advance.

Lord Krunk:

Eeeeee, sorry, didn't know you wanted a reply to the PM reminder, Krunk. I've been having problems coming up with a character, so it's taken much longer than I expected. However, I'm confident it'll be finished today, and certainly before the deadline.

Edit: Godfuckingdammit, ok, character sheet is done, just needs tidying up and I WILL post it tomorrow, Bio will take a little longer but will be done before the deadline.

I really shouldn't publicly reveal my expected timeframe on here, it's just embarrassing if I fail to meet it :(

I probably seem quite unreliable now, so I'd just like to try and reassure the contestants/judges and say that while my time management skills are non-existent, I do get things done if other people are relying on it.

It's hardly a relic, but I'm posting this so that I can't change my mind, scrap it and end up with nothing to use once the deadline rolls around. At the very least it's going to be interesting to find out how the other competitors react to these characters.

I hope that is acceptable. Criticism via PM would be nice.

There's a couple of things I'd just like to check are alright too. I suppose this is directed at Krunk in particular, but as I'm an RP noobie worried I might make a character that's horrible for other people to play with, I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

My power: This is quite a mundane skill really, so I'd like to extend that in the VR battles to an immunity to any kind of extrasensory power that could directly locate my character. He already seems disadvantaged against anyone with magic abilities, so that seems a workable way to prevent my power being instantly negated against a certain character type.

Weaknesses: Mine appear to be mostly pyschological traits to be exploited rather than real weaknesses. Personally, I think his character build overall has a lot of obvious inherent weaknesses, but I'm happy to add a more prominent weakness if required.

Bio to follow.

Damn. I'm almost done writing the intro story, but I've started to hate the character I came up with. I did not think this guy through enough. May scrap the entire concept and go with a different one.

Zemalac:
Damn. I'm almost done writing the intro story, but I've started to hate the character I came up with. I did not think this guy through enough. May scrap the entire concept and go with a different one.

Well, just keep in mind that you only have two days.

Terribly sorry, but the sudden influx of things to do in preparation for the end of this year has rather weighed me down. I won't be entering. I do however, look forward to reading the antics.

Mergh... would it be possible to ask for two days off from this? The beginning date for this (September 9), I may not have a computer, for I will be traveling to see a relative of mine graduate from boot camp. I only ask that I don't get put into the first round of posting due to the fact that there's a high chance that I will not have a chance to get on until September 11.

RESERVE PLEASE! This doesn't look too bad...

Name: Dan freeman

Nickname: energy

Appearance:

Clothing: He wears an armoured shirt under the cloths seen above.

Weapons: An energy canon.

Powers: He can control gravity. He has an ultimate moved wich crushes his foes in mid-air, in between two beams of gravity.

Strengths: Very strong at ranged combat.

Weaknesses: He's bad at close range combat.

Personality: He is big headed, but sees the best in others as well. Although knid, he doesn't take pity on people.

Fear: Un clear water.

Vice: Wrath

Bio:Dan was born into a rich family that taught him martial arts. He was never good at it. He always got into fights with people, but was best at fighting from far away. After a while, he was outcast from everyone else and was forced to live alone. He changed his ways and became a kind person. He then discovered that he had the ability to control gravity. along with this, he built an energy canon to help fight people who did wrong.

Fraught:

Zemalac:

Well, just keep in mind that you only have two days.

TWO DAYS WILL NOT HINDER THE IRON WRATH OF THE SOULBENDER.

CHARACTER SHEET

A few things to say...

Thingy #1, to Lord Krunk: Dragon's vice is Gluttony. I toyed around with Wrath, but it made the character less complex. Gluttony implies that he...partakes. It adds a layer of complexity. Wrath doesn't imply anything, it's just a header that says, "KILL, KILL, KILL, KILL" 1. Dragon doesn't just kill things, he destroys them entirely, and not just because he likes it.

Thingy #2, to venom 3135:

venom 3135:
Snip (It's not that I don't respect you, it's just that I'm a little confused.)

Did you really expect none of us to recognize Kaneda? Really? I'm not saying you've got a bad character, just that he's from one of the most famous Anime of all time. More than a few of us not only own the movie, but the manga. Some of us even own Steamboy.

Of course, I could always be wrong, and Krunk, being the OP, could decide that it's cool. I'd allow it, it's original enough (more original that a chaotic good dual-scimitar-wielding Dark Elf, at least...), he has a neat power, and Kaneda was funny.

Thingy #3, to Soothsayer:

Soothsayer:
Also, Logician, effing love Soren. And your character. But more Soren. Cuz sages rule. Also, infuriatingly short sentences.

Cool. Your post is first person, too. Is it because of me?

Thingy #4, to everyone (but mostly the new people): I've read a couple times about people being intimidated, and it worries me. I've always thought of this as being a friendly competition. There's nothing to lose here; more than one person (myself included) have written about characters even after they'd lost. Worst case scenario, you learn something. How is that a losing situation at all?

Apologies if I seem a little more agressive than usual. Ironic humor might not convey well over the internet.

The_Logician19:
A few things to say...
Thingy #3, to Soothsayer:

Soothsayer:
Also, Logician, effing love Soren. And your character. But more Soren. Cuz sages rule. Also, infuriatingly short sentences.

Cool. Your post is first person, too. Is it because of me?

Thingy #4, to everyone (but mostly the new people): I've read a couple times about people being intimidated, and it worries me. I've always thought of this as being a friendly competition. There's nothing to lose here; more than one person (myself included) have written about characters even after they'd lost. Worst case scenario, you learn something. How is that a losing situation at all?

Apologies if I seem a little more aggressive than usual. Ironic humor might not convey well over the internet.

A bit, but to be honest, I was on the fence about writing his sheet in first person. Seeing the Dragon's post simply cemented the idea in my head, so... don't feel like you forced me into it...? Or something? I dunno- regardless, your post helped me decide on what to do with mine. I'm glad I did so though, I felt that it captured my character's personality a bit more than just going "This is his name. This is his weapon. This is his bunghole".

And it's not just you I fear... as a new guy, this whole thing is sort of overwhelming. It's a different form of RPing than I'm used to, and I hope I can perform admirably enough to at least compare to some of the Vets here (Rag showed me some posts from the old ones a long while back and I was astounded. Gold King was quite interesting, and I'm glad he's back for this one!). You guys are pretty phenomenal writers from what I have seen... So yeah, I think I have a right to be at least a bit worried?

venom 3135:
snip

The_Logician19:
snip

Thanks, Logician, for informing me of Kaneda. I thought I recognised him from somewhere.

Venom, I'm sorry, but I'm sticking to my guns and not allowing your character in. I'd prefer it if you came up with a completely original character. Sorry for the inconvenience, but them's the rules.

The Cast So Far:

The_Logician19: Dragon (Gluttony)
Soothsayer: Beauxhart (Greed, Envy, Wrath)
Fraught: Chance Connie (Wrath)
Lost In The Void: Frederic (Wrath, Envy)
Shapsters: Ryan (Envy)
Zemalac: Kliss (Wrath/Pride)
pigeon_of_doom: Carl (Envy)
revolverwolf: Amelia and Henry (Greed)
Zombie_Fish: Pending

16 Contestants. Only @Crowghast and @Zombie_Fish need to send their sheets in now, with a day to go before The War begins. Also, if venom wishes to create another character then he is free to.

Thanks for your promptness, guys, this has made it much easier for me to manage. 16 is an excellent number for me to work with as well.

Lord Krunk:

venom 3135:
snip

The_Logician19:
snip

Thanks, Logician, for informing me of Kaneda. I thought I recognised him from somewhere.

Venom, I'm sorry, but I'm sticking to my guns and not allowing your character in. I'd prefer it if you came up with a completely original character. Sorry for the inconvenience, but them's the rules.

well in that case, i can't join. i always strugle to find deacent character pics. thanks anyway.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked