Escape to the Movies: Splice

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I saw a trailer to this movie and thought "Okay, now what the hell is this movie?" Thank you for answering my questions, Mr. Chapman.
God, you're right, it does look like Mewtwo.

Elesar:
A few quick points:

I would rule it out, because things that aren't ENTIRELY human have to work hard to get me (not impossible though: Liara from Mass Effect). Also, yeah movies suck this month.

And now to my actual point. I understand why you referenced the Human Centipede as it is relevant to the discussion, but as I've pleaded before can we as a culture just...leave that movie where it is? I've gotten slammed with "YOU'RE A CENSOR!!!!!!111" complaints when I've said this in the past, so please don't interpret this as a suggestion that the director shouldn't be allowed to express himself. But the fact remains that there is almost nothing worthwhile about that film, and every time a group of people elect to view it because it's got it's own Encyclopedia Dramatica article or because some guy on Newgrounds did a video game out of it, we are essentially rewarding poor behavior.

Again, I understand why people are watching it, and I'm no stranger to the "OH GOD MY EYES" film viewing (I've seen both Cannibal Holocaust and Teeth and if you're a guy and you haven't heard of Teeth, count yourself lucky) but let's try and keep this from becoming a long lasting cultural thing or (god forbid) a meme. You want a gross out movie that's 100 times better than Centipede? Go track down Slither.

Oh come on, Teeth was an enjoyable family movie.

Hahah.

I've watched all of the movies you mentioned, and I might have even been one of the "Oh no ohmagawd you're a censor" people at one point, although I might have been talking to someone other then you.

The Human Centipede has already become a meme, and I think it's a good thing. If you don't look at it simply like a gross-out movie, but more of an accidental satire on a lot of movies employing science and scientists as major plot elements, it becomes hilarious. The whole "human centipede" thing was absolutely ridiculous from any scientific stand point, and pointless at that, too.

I spent most of the movie laughing at the sheer absurdity >_<

The premise sounds interesting, but from the trailer it looks to have a lot of boo scares. I HATE boo scares. Because they aren't scary they just startle. And I do not like being startled. That's what turns me off of most horror movies and games.

Judging from your comments in both this review and in your interview this week, it seems that "Splice" has been dealt a disservice by its advertising campaign. I enjoy more cerebral science fiction, but the promotional materials distributed for the film had lead me to the conclusion that this was yet another forgettable monster movie.

I'm reminded of the utterly abysmal "Bridge to Terabithia" marketing campaign that spun what was a rather faithful adaptation of a devastating coming of age story as the next "Family Fantasy action" movie. I subsequently avoided a film I likely would have enjoyed.

marscentral:
I had thought it a generic monster film, so was going to ignore it. I might watch it now though. For the record, blue alien>mutant human always.

Benj17:

sephiroth1991:
This film has completely gone under the radar here in england i have not seen even a poster on a phonebox of this film. Never heared of it, but i might check it out.

I can't actually find any cinema listings for it in Birmingham, bit of a shit really

According to imdb, it's already been released here back in Apri, albeit at a film festival. There aren't any other UK dates on there. France and Switzerland are 30th June, so maybe it'll be on general release here then.

ah right, i saw the 4th of june somewhere, i just wish it was sooner the rest of the films on show at the moment look dire/too generic.

I would... but I'd put a wig on her.

copycatalyst:
I hope it plays in my area. I have a feeling it won't. :-(

Why? Where do you live?

This film sounds really interesting and given the science fiction craziness factor I can't wait to see it.
Still, I live in Australia so it will be a while before it comes around here. For perspective's sake of how long it takes for movies to hit cinemas in my country after they've debuted in America... we have only just gotten Legion in our theatres and that's old news by now.

Now there's something that I desperatley want to see and while have to wait a long time to see it, great.

Wait-wait.

Michael Bay is doing a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie?
Okay, that does it. Mr. Bay, go f*** yourself.

I'm junga gonna go wiki the plot because I'm stupid and I'll likely never see it anyway.

Aran:
Do not put commercials I can't skip into my escapist clips or I will stop watching them. You have been warned.

There are ads before the video? I've never seen them, but then again, I can't imagine surfing the web without *REDACTED* and *REDACTED*.

Anyway, nice review. I got a couple of chuckles at DeviantArt's expense (though when is that a bad thing?), and if I was really into horror films, you'd have convinced me to check this out.

This looks pretty freakin' cool. Kinda like "The Fly meets......something sexy".

Well, thiscpassed under my radar and I can see why...if it had just decided bot to try and be the Jack of all trades

Sizzo:
Why do I always pick up on minor characters in trailers or movies?
When I watched Star Trek I noticed that they had the guy who played Dr. Beckett in Stargate Atlantis as a one-line role. Or Tony Shalhoub from the TV-series Monk who had a minor role in the movie "Welcome to Gattaca".
And now, I watch this review and see that RODNEY F*****G MCKAY from Stargate Atlantis in "Splice"...... am I weird or what?

No weirder than me. I did the same damn thing just now with Rodney McKay, and I knew ahead of time that Dr. Beckett would be in Star Trek.

Yeah for Dr Light cameo!

Maybe I'll be giving this movie a shot...

Benj17:

marscentral:
I had thought it a generic monster film, so was going to ignore it. I might watch it now though. For the record, blue alien>mutant human always.

Benj17:

sephiroth1991:
This film has completely gone under the radar here in england i have not seen even a poster on a phonebox of this film. Never heared of it, but i might check it out.

I can't actually find any cinema listings for it in Birmingham, bit of a shit really

According to imdb, it's already been released here back in Apri, albeit at a film festival. There aren't any other UK dates on there. France and Switzerland are 30th June, so maybe it'll be on general release here then.

ah right, i saw the 4th of june somewhere, i just wish it was sooner the rest of the films on show at the moment look dire/too generic.

According to IMDb, it releases in Britain on August 6th. I'll definately be watching this.

Hm, probably would have avoided this completely without that. Thanks Bob

MowDownJoe:
snip

Edit your post, or you'll get suspended or banned. It's happened before, and it should be obvious why. Just saying.

OT: looks interesting, I'll definitely check it out if it ever shows here. (Which I doubt.)

theflyingpeanut:

Benj17:

marscentral:

Benj17:

sephiroth1991:

According to IMDb, it releases in Britain on August 6th. I'll definately be watching this.

That's a bit of a tit, but i suppose it gives me a reason to get out the house during the holiday

Bob seems to disagree with most other reviews I've seen :S
I'll probably check it out anyway, when it comes out in bloody AUGUST in the UK. So unfair ._.

Good review and all, but why do you always use that strange sound setting with a slight echo or something?

And now the movie that I was about to pass off has skyrocketed into my "must watch" list.

This years District 9? You now have my attention.

From the trailer I wasn't really convinced. Now I want to go see it.

Not heard anything about the film prior to this! Strange as it looks rather special compared to what's about at the moment.

Looks interesting.

Also, Michael Bay needs to keep his filthy mits off of TMNT.

Oh great, yet another time that I hear about a good movie that won't be screened in Israel, so It's either not see or download and feeling guilty.
Bob, can you make sure that good movies you review come to Israel and if not, notify me not to see the review? Thanks.

Billion Backs:

I've watched all of the movies you mentioned, and I might have even been one of the "Oh no ohmagawd you're a censor" people at one point, although I might have been talking to someone other then you.

The Human Centipede has already become a meme, and I think it's a good thing. If you don't look at it simply like a gross-out movie, but more of an accidental satire on a lot of movies employing science and scientists as major plot elements, it becomes hilarious. The whole "human centipede" thing was absolutely ridiculous from any scientific stand point, and pointless at that, too.

I spent most of the movie laughing at the sheer absurdity >_<

No that was me. I wish my film reviews on this site got half as much traffic as my incidental commentaries on odd things (most of them related to moviebob...anywho).

My complaints about the movie have less to do with the movie itself and more to do with the whole...thing built up around it. I'd understand if it was a well made film or vaguely interesting but...well Bob put it best. There is absolutely nothing going on underneath the movie itself. There's no exceptionally compelling explanation for why it's happening, it just is. The best film to compare it to is Savage Vengence (look it up).

And that's fine, it is what it is and it can be what it is farrrrrrr away from me. Gross out movies have been part of our collective cultural background going back to the 70's. But the culture seems obsessed with it and keeps shoving it out of the background and into the foreground, which is giving it this lurching unlife. We're already staring down a sequel and if that does well, we'll probably have some imitators and then we get a subgenre, and that's really not an eventuality I want to materialize.

As to your specific comments, if a movie is an intentional satire, fine. Satire is generally awesome. If people are claiming that a movie is an accidental satire, it generally means you're poorly made. I'm sorry, but that's how it is.

Alright, I'm done.

Sounds awesome!

One question though: Is there a sex scene?

For whatever reason sex in movies immediately turns my girlfriend off of movies. Like we went to go see Watchman and she seemed to be enjoying it until the sex scene, and she checked out. Needless to say it was awkward.

Anyway, I'd really like to see this movie, and I wanted to ask to see if I can bring her along or if it's a movie I should see by my lonesome.

Xocrates:

Axolotl:
Since when was putting actual science in Sci-Fi a good thing?

It almost always dates the whole project.

Dated science will at no point be worse than the techno-babble gibberish movies usually use. At the least by trying to use actual science movies have a shot at relevance, even if temporary.

Not really techno-babble and vagueness people can accept whereas dated science is just laughable. Take Neuromancer, it struggles to be taken seriously when at the beginning a character boasts about having 3 megs of hot RAM. Or an older example, compare Jules Verne with HG Wells, both wrote similar science fiction at around the same time. Jules Verne tried to be scientifically acurate whereas HG Wells never bothered, in modern times Verne's work are far less plausible because of the science used. Look at any golden age Sci-Fi and how they viewed computers.

Scientific accuracy is a stupid idea in science fiction.

RODNEY MCKAY!

Anyway.

My first reaction to the trailer was "oh God, they're remaking Species...". Honestly, I still have minor interest in this film, but it takes a LOT for a horror flick to gain my interest. However, I'll be sure to Netflix it. That way if I disagree with you I can just pull out the disc and send it back rather than sit through an entire film to get my money's worth. Maybe I'll be surprised, maybe not. Usually I agree with you, buuuuut considering we disagreed on Book of Eli, there's a chance we may disagree on this as well.

Also: Michael Bay producing a Turtles film? I thought they were already working on a sequel to the 3-D animated one from a few years back? What the Hell?

This year's D9?! God, they better bring this to Mexico. I haven't seen a single poster or trailer at the movies in my town.
It's official. D9 has to be Bob's most quoted movie ever. He'll probably quote again next week when we hear his thoughts on Sharlto Copley on the A-Team.

I guess Neytiri is off the hook.

Thank you Bob I think I will see this. I honestly couldn't tell beforehand if this was going to be good or like Quarantine.

Was that Dr. McKay?

Good? huh, the trailers make it look like a generic monster movie.

"We shouldn't be doing this"
"Oh noes! it's it's got my arm"
"Oh noes! it's escaped from the lab"
"Oh noes! it's swooping out of the trees batmanning people"

plus it has master-god-rockstar of the multiverse Adrian Brody

sephiroth1991:

Ditto, looks alot better then current cinema offerings.

I never had a good feeling about this, maybe because of the timing I assumed it was a Hollywood-friendly retread of Human Centipede. I've been watching your reviews for a year and you've never steered me wrong. If you say it's this year's District 9, then here's hoping the damn thing delivers because I saw D9 on your recommendation and fucking LOVED IT.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here