Jimquisition: Sony, Nintendo, EA and SOPA

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Sony, Nintendo, EA and SOPA

The Stop Online Piracy Act may sound innocuous, but it's a nasty little proposition that gives corporations uncontested rights to control what you enjoy on the Internet. Naturally, being a horrible thing, EA can't wait to climb aboard, along with a number of other publishers. The Internet shouldn't be censored by cowardly companies who are afraid of it, and The Jimquisition urges you take note of what these organizations want to do.

Watch Video

Oh Jim, just do what I do for the Blog - use the written and recorded one for next week X3

Quick EDIT - Wow. Seems America's having it bad right now. First there's the Protect IP act, now this...unless the two are one and the same.

Sir Shockwave:
Oh Jim, just do what I do for the Blog - use the written and recorded one for next week X3

Quick EDIT - Wow. Seems America's having it bad right now. First there's the Protect IP act, now this...unless the two are one and the same.

USA is in the shit now. Gaming companies are not exempt from supporting the playing of our corrupt government.

Sir Shockwave:

Yeah, don't worry. They're the same bill. So this country's only trying to kill itself once, not twice.

The passion was amazing, I hope it wasn't acted and it's hard to imagine it was

BrotherRool:
The passion was amazing, I hope it wasn't acted and it's hard to imagine it was

My voice broke like a squeaky little girl in no less than two places.

Not acted at all, otherwise I'd control that shit. :-)

Lets all sign this!

http://stopcensorship.org/

How would this effect sites based elsewhere?
...couldnt you just move your business... somehow... if this only effects america?

im not really read up on it... ... ...lets do some research then :/

Gah Jim, you scared me there with the delay in the upload, thank God for you!

On topic, this bill is indeed frightening and I regret the fact that as a British citizen there's little I can do but hope that my American cousins will see sense.

.. Wait, wait... wait. Nintendo, Sony, and EA.. support this Bill?

Truly this is just filled with corruption. No company, no matter how much we've respected and admired them for years... will be fair in the long run if this bill passes. They'll take advantage of it till our eyes bleed, which in truth is literal because the censors shall sky rocket on ever little aspect that shows a trailer or some gameplay containing their game. Heck, they can even tamper with other company websites to limit competition. Not to mention it doesn't just affect gaming.. it affects shows, movies, books.. maybe even live events which can be censored online and more.

The bill itself shall ruin everything we know and love. We're not fools, this is serious (very serious). I can't believe those three game companies along with some others support this.. it's just disgraceful. They can take this website down since it's all about gaming with trailers and spoilers.. sites on Google will be stripped and worst part is- we can all become criminals for using one of their games even for a good cause. 5 years in prison... over something such as this. I'm disgusted, and I am honestly disappointed in ALL of you companies.

Good job Jim, I respect you for pointing this out. Let's make sure that bill stays down for good.

CustomMagnum:
Yeah, don't worry. They're the same bill. So this country's only trying to kill itself once, not twice.

Ah, I see. Still, I think this bill has a SLIM chance of passing. As Extra Credits put it, there's going to be some REAL Superheavy Lawyers tearing it a new one. Though writing to your Senator will help.

I know I would, if I was American -_-

garjian:

...couldnt you just move your business... somehow... if this only effects america?

Nope. The law also gives those corporations the ability to force an ISP to block sites with infringing content that come from outside the US.

Jim, you sounded like you were about to cry.... :'(. I for one would hate to see this bill pass. I like talking about gaming, and making gaming videos even more so then I like talking about video games. But this goes with everything. Watching clips of a Family Guy Episode like this listed below

this could be against the law.... ;'( so can this

I mean don't take this away. Ugg. wow this is such a touchy topic.

garjian:

Theres so many fucking different bills trying to do exactly the same thing so I have no idea if im right on this, but theres one that sells it as a trade embargo.

Which pretty much means Europe and everybody else would be forced to sign if the stupid fucking cunts over in the US decide this is a good idea.

I'm just wondering. If this passes and everyone who hosts themselves in the US, hop country and host their servers elsewhere, how long it will take the US to flop its dick around and extend its big floppy juridstriction to other countries? And how long it will take them to be told to fuck right off.

CustomMagnum:

garjian:

Nope. The law also gives those corporations the ability to force an ISP to block sites with infringing content that come from outside the US.

yeah i just read that...
i seems it specifically targets those outside the US...

...still reading...

Whoa, hold the fuck up. The ESA supports this shit? What the fuck? After our big win earlier this year I thought those guys were the shit. Now it turns out they're just shit! The fuck?!

OT: Preach it brother! Call out those assholes! I'd just assumed all the publishers and industry groups were lining up against this shit, but I guess I was wrong. Fuck those assholes, and fuck this shitty legislation!

Don't know why, but I feel this is appropriate in a completely non ironic way.

So, watching a gameplay video is now piracy? That what this is?

Sir Shockwave:

CustomMagnum:

Ah, I see. Still, I think this bill has a SLIM chance of passing. As Extra Credits put it, there's going to be some REAL Superheavy Lawyers tearing it a new one. Though writing to your Senator will help.

I know I would, if I was American -_-

I already did, but it actually has a scary high chance of passing. Thankfully Obama already said he would veto it if it does pass, but there's nothing to stop them from rewording the bill and trying it again and again until they get something that he thinks wouldn't be too bad.

Or supporters of this might have a chance at actually overturning the veto, if they convince (or bribe) enough senators.

Even if the law gets challenged, it can still do a lot of damage while it is on the books and the courts are going over it, not to mention that the Supreme Court has a heavy corporation bias. They did overturn the limits corporations can donate to political campaigns, after all.

Great episode, Jim. I think you also should have mentioned the Protect IP act, which from what I can tell seems to be very similar. But Protect IP right now seems to be in even more danger of being passed. If it was, any site that even LINKED to copyrighted material could be shut down or blocked; even if the site is from another country, it could be blocked. If it's passed, say goodbye to facebook, google, youtube, and deviantart, just to name a few. The level of censorship either of these bills would bring is disgusting, and completely against the freedom America is supposed to stand for. The internet is the greatest tool we have ever had in history, by far, for expression of free speech and exchange of ideas, and the entertainment companies want to take that away from us just so that they can make a bit more money from their movies and games. These bills must be stopped.

Thanks for making me aware of that Jim! Had no idea... that sucks arse! May well read up on it sometime.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

garjian:

Theres so many fucking different bills trying to do exactly the same thing so I have no idea if im right on this, but theres one that sells it as a trade embargo.

Which pretty much means Europe and everybody else would be forced to sign if the stupid fucking cunts over in the US decide this is a good idea.

hahaha...

im gonna sound so stupid in these quotes without my edit xD
oh well, fits my avatar i suppose...

as i say... im still reading about it now... ...since this is american law we dont know much about it, but it clearly effects us and not just because, obviously, the internet is a worldwide thing...

they don't have a leg to stand on. And don't forget the fact the Supreme Court will probably help kill this bill because it violates the First Amendment right of free speech.

p.s don't get too mad I signed the thing against already.

garjian:

CustomMagnum:

garjian:

yeah i just read that...
i seems it specifically targets those outside the US...

...still reading...

....Are you serious......... >: (

Ok, as someone OUTSIDE the USA (I'm Canadian), what can I do about this? I mean, I can't exactly write to my local legislators/political party, considering that they have no impact on the bill...

Sometimes I wonder why do this people not just honestly say that human and consumer rights are bad for their profits. Everyone with a working brain can see what they want, but still they persist in dressing it up as some noble crusade against "the pirates".

I wonder how this all will play out. I mean, nothing will stop the actual piracy, naturally, but all this corporations are going to be enjoying the backdraft from this act for years to come. And to think that they are passing it without actually understanding what the consequences will be. Fascinating. That's why we need pirate parties in our governments, people.

The worst is that this isn't just American censorship. This can fuck shit up for basically everyone on this planet. Because what could happen is that this bill locks the United States off from the rest of the world, in terms of online connectivity. And that could spell bad business for both the States and the rest of the world.

Why? Because Silicon Valley is still, basically, the hub of the virtual world. And they'll get royally fucked over by this. Just take a guess at the percentage of big companies that provide the online world we know that aren't American. What's going to happen to them?

My guess is that, if this bill really turns out to be this bad, that a lot of them either go under or move their asses to greener pastures; South-East Asia and Europe specifically. Now that would sure solve the euro-crisis and put us back in the game again. Bad news for the States though.

That is, of course, the ideal situation in the worst case scenario. The absolute worst case scenario is that the internet is screwed for us all.

Now, what I just can barely comprehend, is that it's like these lawmakers, and even those game companies, just can't comprehend how important the internet is for the American company. It just boggles the mind how incredibly short sighted the people who thought all this up must be. It just...I can't...

Disclaimer:
Brought to you by someone who is barely educated on this subject and is just pissed about the very idea of this, and hopes fiercely that he's completely and utterly wrong.

CustomMagnum:
Thankfully Obama already said he would veto it if it does pass

Really?

Now here's to hoping that, after the 2012 elections, there won't be some corporate fat-cat in the White House who'd gladly support a bill like this. Because I have the feeling that mister Obama won't be around for long to protect us against it.

What the hell? Sony Ninty and EA are behind this!??! Like Jim said, don't they realise that they get tons of free publicity from this kind of stuff? I'm actually surprised EA would do something that dickish!

I really want to hear all the major videogame companies stand up and explain themselves for this insanity of supporting this self destructive bill.

It's absolutely frightening how powerful corporations have become in just the last few years, we don't need to give them any more. It's not even about money anymore, it's all about the control because that's all that's left that they can grasp for. I'm really losing hope in the process of reversing this horrible trend of putting all of the political power in the hands of a select few CEO's. You can't win against people who have near-limitless funds to destroy opposition.

Firefox had a thing on their front page where they'll send a canned email in your name to your representatives to tell them to not let this thing pass. I've already sent it in myself.

CustomMagnum:
I already did, but it actually has a scary high chance of passing. Thankfully Obama already said he would veto it if it does pass, but there's nothing to stop them from rewording the bill and trying it again and again until they get something that he thinks wouldn't be too bad.

Or supporters of this might have a chance at actually overturning the veto, if they convince (or bribe) enough senators.

Even if the law gets challenged, it can still do a lot of damage while it is on the books and the courts are going over it, not to mention that the Supreme Court has a heavy corporation bias. They did overturn the limits corporations can donate to political campaigns, after all.

Now I want to see this happen in the US. For real, not just bombing EALA with Shogun Battleships in my least favourite RTS of all time next to Stormrise.

sir.rutthed:

Don't know why, but I feel this is appropriate in a completely non ironic way.

Buy your torches and pitchforks here -

I for one welcome this bill. Anything that brings us all closer to the way things are in North Korea means progress. I mean look at Homefront, it clearly shows that this is the way to become the next superpower.

Really though this saddens me. They want to screw up things for us and themselves by refusing us to see the games before we buy them. I have bought some games because I saw them on Unskippable, and according to this Bill Unskippable is doomed for sure. I never buy games I know nothing or little about without a recommendation or seeing gameplay footage. This is a great way to lose me as a customer. Congratulations Nintendo. I have been using your products for 17 years and now I might stop.

I'm so sorry about what effect this will have on you Jim, I have enjoyed each and every one of your videos, even if I don't always agree.

Stupid bill is stupid.

Cowabungaa:

CustomMagnum:
Thankfully Obama already said he would veto it if it does pass

Really?

Now here's to hoping that, after the 2012 elections, there won't be some corporate fat-cat in the White House who'd gladly support a bill like this. Because I have the feeling that mister Obama won't be around for long to protect us against it.

Yeah, that's the other problem. There'd be nothing stopping them from introducing the same bill again if he looses the next election, or after his second term ends if he wins.

"Sopa" in Swedish means "piece of trash". Coincidentally that's also how I feel about this bill. Let's hope Obama sticks by his word and vetoes this if it passes.

if the bill passes i think they can get your ISP to block outside websites. and if this goes through other countries are more likely to create similar laws.

Normally this is where I sarcasticly say to not hold back and tell us what you really think, but on this issue, I don't think we can afford to be polite.

It's nice to know someone else caught MGS2's cautionary tale instead of just bitching about Raiden, and while I felt government coverups were silly, ccorporate coverups would be all too common. Listening to podcasts from people who write for anime magizines, I've heard about how companies will withold images, screenshots, or even review copies in retaliation for bad reviews, and that's more or less how this will all work out: praise everything we do or we'll bring down the heavy hand of misinterputated copyright law down on you. Fair use? What's "fair use"?

I'm against piracy, but copyright law isn't about making sure Yahtxee gives you a nickel for using your boxart in a review.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here