E3: EA Wants to Be Indie

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Why don't they just buy another dev like all the other times but you know, not give them horrible deadlines and insist that they produce dlc. Sort of like own that studio but do nothing but throw money at it and publish the games. Demanding a financial return is where you stop being "indie".

Tell you the truth, id be happy If EA just burned.

knight4light:
need for speed most wanted? didnt i play that on game cube a while back O.o? *checks* yep have it right here. lol

Amusingly, they also tried retconning the original Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit, which had a sequel.

Captcha: oh brother. Indeed.

OT: I really wish EA didn't publish games that I like, but to be perfectly honest the only thing that caught my attention was Crysis 3 so I guess I won't have too hard of a time not giving EA all of my money like I did back when Mass Effect 3/Kingdoms of Amalur came out.

EA, any company that can spend hundreds of millions in order to get a monopoly, as a method of eliminating their competitor's better product is ... fucking retarded if it tries to claim to be indie.

Steve Butts:
Following in the footsteps of Call of Duty Elite and Ghost Recon Network, Battlefield 3 Premium aims to extend the popular shooter franchise for gamers who'd be willing to spend a bit more money for the sake of more gameplay options and unique vanity items. The digital membership, which is available now, offers new skins, tags, maps, camo kits, 20 new weapons, 10 new vehicles, strategy guides and four new game modes. Completionists can nab the new service for a mere $49.99 per year.

$49.99 per year, or you know just once, as it isn't a subscription service, just a discounted pre-purchase of DLC with some bonuses. I guess if you want to buy it every year EA won't mind.

What can I say, EA Publish some really good games, Battlefield 3 and FIFA 12 for example are two of my most played games of the last six months. FIFA in particular is fantastic and I will definitively pick up another FIFA game in a few years. I can't believe how long I waited to buy one, as I love football games. While BF3 has a few niggles (it really should have universal VOIP built it) there is no other game quite like it outside of Enemy Territory, which is showing its age now.

I am cautiously anticipating the new Sim-City. I'll wait to see what the reviews say though. I might even have a close look at MoH:BrownManShooter because I am sold on Frostbite 2 as an FPS engine, but I'd like to see what someone other than DICE can do with it. I don't think I'll pay retail for it though.

If EA keep selling games I like I'll keep buying them, but there is a reason I didn't buy ME3 on day one. That's the reason I rarely even look at Ubisoft or Gearbox titles for example...

FogHornG36:
Indie! the new industry buzz word!

There is it!

Thats all EA is really try to do. "Hey these Indie games are making a lot of money and the customers seem very receptive to the companies behind them, so lets just start using that word to get some cash out of those magpies."

Ehh whatever EA does their not going to shake their poor image amongst the more hardcore gaming community. Not that I don't think they have anything to worry about, they can pump out some good Triple A games and people will buy them.

If the people at EA feel bad about themselves for being pictured as faceless and soulless at the end of the day they could always remind themselves that at least they aren't Ubisoft.

EA wants to be Indie:

In all honesty though, if EA wants to use its enormous capital and influence to help get small, worthwhile projects financed and off the ground, more power to them, that's what a good publisher should do. They should see the potential in a game prototype and want to finance it.

Maybe that whole listing crowdfunded projects on Origin sounds positive and all, and if they want to be the publisher that helps spur innovation more power to them. But actions speak louder than words.

EA is so cute when they say things like this. If they stopped dancing on our money while laughing at us I would believe them.

I think it'd be a mistake for EA to try giving itself a face, if that were to happen there would be thousands of gamers lining up to punch it.

Oh dear EA....

This Argument is like hearing from a 230lbs. Gothchick, that she takes on modeling next month.

That company gets more and more embarassing by the years passing.
Remembering them as a Company that us once brought titles like "Need for Speed" (before it turned into Custom Car P0rn) and such, or maybe een the days when Command and Conquer got under their wing, but was still made by a few from good old Westwood.

Damn, I feel old just by remembering. <.<

The fact that EA isn't indie enough isn't the problem.

This is the problem:

EA, I don't think you know what that word means. Stop trying! You're gonna ruin everything for us.

Oh god, I just spit my coffee when I read the title. That's rich EA, really rich.

DVS BSTrD:
So that's why they suck the soul out of every independent studio they acquire!

Oh god...

Nobody tell EA about Snow White and the Huntsman...

^My initial reaction to the article title. Seems just about as likely to me.

Anyways, good try EA, but no dice. Your first mistake was to change your games into "services".

no they dont.

they want to be where the money is at.
and it is now almost at any polished indie game.

medium investment, big payout.

Mcupobob:
If the people at EA feel bad about themselves for being pictured as faceless and soulless at the end of the day they could always remind themselves that at least they aren't Ubisoft.

<looks at SimCity 5>

You sure?

Battlefield 3 Premium is not a subscription! You pay ONCE and receive all the announced DLC and extra content. It's actually cheaper than buying the DLC's individually. Please get your facts straight.

NinjaDeathSlap:
Um, EA, we don't want you to be 'indie', we just want you to stop being 'dick-heads'. Is that so hard?

Apparently so. In fact, they have become such dickheads that I have yet to buy ME3 out of fear of this "awful ending" I keep hearing about.

I loved that series, and I don't want to have my heart broken... :(

It says here that premium is a yearly subscription... It's not, it's a one time purchase unlike CoD Elite

"No longer are games something you just buy and play. Now they're full on services that allow EA to deliver more content and keep you connected to the experience long after you might have otherwise moved on."

Yeah. And that's why i don't buy their games anymore, and that's also why i will not buy the next generation consoles.
I'm sick of all these day one DLC, half-finished games, micro-transactions and other BS subscribtions ...

how disappointing not single new game, just the same franchises being either rehashed or updated...why even bother with an announcement when there is nothing to announce.

"EA wants to be Indie."

And I want to shit diamonds, but it ain't gonna happen.

Ever.

(Also, I would like to shit diamonds without causing permanent damage to my body in the process. Again, ain't gonna happen.)

Cat of Doom:
Unlike many cynics on this site, I think its great Riccitiello is trying to repair EA's broken reputation. Considring what a big player in the industry EA is, trying to make the big company more personable can only be better for the gaming industry.

I just hope he remembers that actions speak louder then words.

Agreed.
It would be nice if EA would just stop buttpumping the industry, rather than CLAIMING that they're going to stop buttpumping the industry.

porpoise hork:
No matter how hard Riccitiello tries, EA is the faceless greedy corporation he is trying to say it's not. Sad thing is that's exactly how he wanted it to be. No matter what they do they will always be scum in my book.

It's marketing. People eat up marketing. That's why we get millionaire politicians who insist they're in touch with the working man and stuff.

VonKlaw:
Saying he doesn't want EA to be a greedy, faceless corporation with one face whilst admitting that they'd charge Battlefield players for bullets if they could get away with at shareholder meetings with the other.

Think I know which is the honest one.

Is it...Is it the indie one?

DVS BSTrD:

They're gonna need to keep sucking.

Cat of Doom:
Unlike many cynics on this site, I think its great Riccitiello is trying to repair EA's broken reputation. Considring what a big player in the industry EA is, trying to make the big company more personable can only be better for the gaming industry.

That would make sense if their actions didn't belie their words.

But hey, it's more fun to call cynicism, I guess.

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:

They're gonna need to keep sucking.

That's one thing EA is VERY good at doing!

Steve Butts:
Bradshaw also offered up the chance for the community to name the game's ubiquitous burger joint by texting "simcity" to 44144. Maybe it's time for me to resurrect my family's failed business, Butts' Burgers.

That was one of the funniest things I've read in an Escapist article. Kudos.

pl0x:
It says here that premium is a yearly subscription... It's not, it's a one time purchase unlike CoD Elite

EA employee?

Cat of Doom:

I agree, I think EA's recent evils (3-4 years, if that can be called recent) are more a consequence of them having grown to a point where they simply cannot survive as a company doing what they had been doing. They had to do something, and what they decided on was clearly the wrong way to go, so they're trying to backtrack. I just don't know that anything CAN save EA at this point. As the biggest name, they are expected to spend the most in the publishing of their games, but they're finding it difficult to make that back, so they go to extremes like terrible DMR and forced DLC.

Arashi500:

Cat of Doom:

I agree, I think EA's recent evils (3-4 years, if that can be called recent) are more a consequence of them having grown to a point where they simply cannot survive as a company doing what they had been doing.

Problem is, gamer conscious of these evils are not as many as you seem to think.

DVS BSTrD:
That's one thing EA is VERY good at doing!

I think it unlikely we'll find anyone to dispute that!

James Joseph Emerald:

EA employee?

I find EA apologist to be far more likely.

Arashi500:

I agree, I think EA's recent evils (3-4 years, if that can be called recent) are more a consequence of them having grown to a point where they simply cannot survive as a company doing what they had been doing.

Well, of course. But that's because they were already focused on driving up monetary figures while streamlining out actual gaming elements and squeezing gamers. This is hardly an excuse.

They had to do something, and what they decided on was clearly the wrong way to go, so they're trying to backtrack.

I don't think they are. This is a public line from a guy who suggested they charge for bullets. They're trying to sell an image.

I just don't know that anything CAN save EA at this point. As the biggest name, they are expected to spend the most in the publishing of their games, but they're finding it difficult to make that back, so they go to extremes like terrible DMR and forced DLC.

Now that's objectively false. EA is making money hand over fist and seeing large returns. Either that, or they're lying to the SEC and their investors. The only thing "forcing" them to use DRM and DLC is a desire to pay their CEOs more and satisfy their stockholders. There is NO trouble on EA's behalf making back returns on their games.

EA still makes games? News to me.

Dear god how did I miss this article...

On a related note: Vladimir Putin wants to be viewed as a humanitarian, and George W. Bush wants to be a scholar.

It's been said already, but fuck it:

Heh. Cute.

Now come on, be serious here, EA, what did you want to talk to us about?

Zachary Amaranth:

James Joseph Emerald:

EA employee?

I find EA apologist to be far more likely.

not really. the dlc really is a one time purchase. It's like buying BF2 special forces or the 1942 expansions way back when, or the BC2 Vietnam expansion. Same strategy, same content. Just because it isn't a comment about how EA epic fails (which they do with high frequency) doesn't mean someone is automatically an EA fanboy.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here