Zero Punctuation: DayZ

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

I seriously doubt that, if zombies did overun the world, a full 98% of the people you meet would try to kill you. Humans are social animals and the roughly 1/20 of society that walks about with no soul behind their eyes, no morals, no respect for the law, is also a group prone to doing stupid self-destructive stuff. So most the sociopaths and Antisocial Personalities would die off pretty fast.

Yah raiders and survivalists will exist, but I doubt you would only find 1 out of every 50 people as the sort who dont shoot you first. A lot of people dont like the idea of murder and humans are social animals.

DAYZ falls victim to the GIFT hard and combines this with the fact that, while you may lose your gear, you dont stay dead. You respawn. And the griefer respawns too, so he can keep trying until he evantually gets his gun and ruins everyone elses attempt to survive.

While it is pretty neat, you might as well remove the zombies and just let people loose in the ruins of a city to kill each other. Once you get good the zombies arnt much of a challenge (and many players have quite as a result of being bored) so either you start player-killing or you sit around by yourself at the edge of the map forever with your gear. A good example of how this is more of a "griefing simulator" is the guns. Pinpointing a gunshot echoing about a city to a single building might be a bit hard, and to a single room in that building all but impossible to the naked ear, but zombies in DAYZ have perfect hearing, so your better off avoiding shooting at them if it is at all possible. So why the guns (and ammo, which after society collapses should get scarce quick) with all their many military variations? For griefers to shoot you with.

Its not bad, but it isnt exactly survival horror or even a very inspired zombie apocolypse scenario. Its a gritty very wide ranging free-for-all shooter deathmatch.

GenGenners:
Makes me wish I had a decent PC even more. Captain Sparklez play through was hilarious.

actually if you use the "free arma 2 version" it has much worse graphics, but the upside is it requires slower pc.

I never got into ARMA II. saw it a few times but though "meh". tried DayZ on my cousins PC and now im hooked.

While it is pretty neat, you might as well remove the zombies and just let people loose in the ruins of a city to kill each other. Once you get good the zombies arnt much of a challenge (and many players have quite as a result of being bored) so either you start player-killing or you sit around by yourself at the edge of the map forever with your gear. A good example of how this is more of a "griefing simulator" is the guns. Pinpointing a gunshot echoing about a city to a single building might be a bit hard, and to a single room in that building all but impossible to the naked ear, but zombies in DAYZ have perfect hearing, so your better off avoiding shooting at them if it is at all possible. So why the guns (and ammo, which after society collapses should get scarce quick) with all their many military variations? For griefers to shoot you with.

well if you play the "hardcore" servers, it is quite hard to find any weapon, let alone a shooting one in around 1/3 of the map from the beach. didnt venture further in as some ccrap or antoher happens. But if you play the "medium" servers you even get gun at start sometimes, which is dreadful.

I have never played it, I see now why people like it. this review was great!

Yahtzee Croshaw:
DayZ

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews DayZ.

Watch Video

I cant stop smiling and laughing! I love the commentary keep it up please!!

That was a well done, very funny video. Good job, Yahtzee!

have you tried MineZ? It's a minecraft version of DayZ. It's pretty fun actually (once you gear up ((recommend bring a friend though >.>)) you can explore the old abandoned ruins and it's pretty quiet in the northern areas.. save for the super zombie ... O.o )

Now that DayZ is going to be a standalone game and that some of the things you talked about in the mod will be different (like all the buildings in the map being usable), how about a separate review for the standalone game?

FUNNIEST-REVIEW-EVER!

I couldn't stop laughing at this. Great review. It reminded me of The Days Ahead videos on Youtube of someone playing DayZ. Hilarious stuff.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here