Neon Genesis Evangelion

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Silly Hats:
snip

Evil Smurf:
snip

You and you are both wrong
Let me introduce you to Elle Alexandra

Edit: Also I think Elle could cosplay Asuka far better. Well grown-up version of Asuka, that is :D

Is there some kind of symbolism and extra to the message here that I'm not getting or are we legit criticizing Shinji Ikari for not having sex?

Well, at least watching Shinji and Kaworu yaoi would be pretty hot.

And then everybody turned to organge tang... again...

blackrave:

Silly Hats:
snip

Evil Smurf:
snip

You and you are both wrong
Let me introduce you to Elle Alexandra

Edit: Also I think Elle could cosplay Asuka far better. Well grown-up version of Asuka, that is :D

have they all worked together at one point?

Evil Smurf:

O_O
You sir might just said one of the best ideas ever
THAT would be epic

blackrave:

Evil Smurf:

O_O
You sir might just said one of the best ideas ever
THAT would be epic

redheads deserve all my best thoughts.

Xpwn3ntial:
Hey, Grey. You gonna make a tang joke next?

xD, they still sell Tang over here... I haven;t bought it in years though...<.<

Also, where's your avatar from, she's like super cute!

Sacman:

Xpwn3ntial:
Hey, Grey. You gonna make a tang joke next?

xD, they still sell Tang over here... I haven;t bought it in years though...<.<

Also, where's your avatar from, she's like super cute!

It doesn't taste very good from what I remember...

And this is Saori of the series My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute. She's a ton of fun even when you don't get to see her face.
And yes she is super cute!

Casual Shinji:
Isn't this like the oldest damn joke since the birth of the harem genre?

And I hate to be that "You're missing the point" guy, but... yeah.

As old as that joke is, it's still no less true. Also i'm pretty sure they've done this bit twice now.

Izanagi009:

fieryshadowcard:

Eddras:
as much as this is true Tenchi Muyo was far worst

Shinji, on the other hand, never made a move for no reason. Not on mom-clone 2000 (which he had no way of knowing at the time the window was wide open), not on Asuka (who he jerked off ON in the first movie, and who before the first series ended was wondering why he HADN'T made a move on her... before she completely suffered that mental breakdown), not on MILFsato who flat out said she'd have done him in the first movie (before dying horribly if I recall, but still) and will definitely not make a move on YOLOswag Mari.

You'd be surprised at how mental damage can affect people. He has been damaged and unable to trust people, or himself and the world doesn't help, anytime he gets close to someone, his heart and expectations are broken. The fact that they reference the hedgehog dilemma is evident of the Shinji's damage. As for Asuka and why he didn't make a move on her, she herself has closed herself off and berates Shinji at all time; she made it so that Shinji would not get the message that she's interested in him and in turn, Shinji slips into his depression even more causing a self repeating cycle of hate and inability to express feelings

To which I must ask: Why would anyone want season after season of that? It's very hard for me to like Evangelian because it just drags on and on and on, and it spends way too much damn time on introspective musing. I'd almost say it's overindulgent in that regard.

Devoneaux:

To which I must ask: Why would anyone want season after season of that? It's very hard for me to like Evangelian because it just drags on and on and on, and it spends way too much damn time on introspective musing. I'd almost say it's overindulgent in that regard.

Because, to a large degree, it represents the experiences of the fans at a certain stage in their lives. Not so much the "fighting giant aliens" thing. But the feelings of loneliness and sexual frustration.

Devoneaux:

Izanagi009:

fieryshadowcard:

Shinji, on the other hand, never made a move for no reason. Not on mom-clone 2000 (which he had no way of knowing at the time the window was wide open), not on Asuka (who he jerked off ON in the first movie, and who before the first series ended was wondering why he HADN'T made a move on her... before she completely suffered that mental breakdown), not on MILFsato who flat out said she'd have done him in the first movie (before dying horribly if I recall, but still) and will definitely not make a move on YOLOswag Mari.

You'd be surprised at how mental damage can affect people. He has been damaged and unable to trust people, or himself and the world doesn't help, anytime he gets close to someone, his heart and expectations are broken. The fact that they reference the hedgehog dilemma is evident of the Shinji's damage. As for Asuka and why he didn't make a move on her, she herself has closed herself off and berates Shinji at all time; she made it so that Shinji would not get the message that she's interested in him and in turn, Shinji slips into his depression even more causing a self repeating cycle of hate and inability to express feelings

Here is the odd part, people who came in looking for a high intensity action mecha anime only get that for the first half before Anno had to change due to budget issues; so we got the interceptive look at otaku who Anno at the time hated for their "forced autism" (speaking as an actual autistic, otaku do seem to exhibit some of the traits such as lack of social skills and obsession. It would be interesting to see how much of the original otaku were actual autistics). It became the deconstruction that defined a fair bit of anime to come. You say it's overindulgent, I say it's an author making the work he wants with no concern about the criticism of fans which is something we need in this commercialized medium.

Now that Hideki Anno is on depression medication and is more stable mentally, I would like to see what he make in Evangelion the final; It may be a turning point in the fandom of Evangelion

This is actually one of the few times that I recognize the 'Cory Rydell and Grey carter' song lyrics. I feel good about myself now.

My only real problem with this is that the first panel never happened. In fact, nothing even close to that happens.

Shingi has the best dad ever, as pointed out by a precious CM comic and yet the dumb kid can't get his rocks off!? He pilots a mech in Japan, that fact alone should get him laid // You said here what we've all be screaming at our TV screen for years

-M

Can't they just FINISH THE SHOW and not keep trying to "end" it with new movies?

Reminds me of the mocked-up arcade game someone did for the show where every button was "whine".

How exactly do you pronounce "fuckkkkkk"

Could it be that videogame players, being that, cannot accept the main character on screen not doing what they want? I mean, it could explain a lot of things.

xdiesp:
Could it be that videogame players, being that, cannot accept the main character on screen not doing what they want? I mean, it could explain a lot of things.

Referring to the comments or the comic? In either case, some people just can't seem to take a joke.

xdiesp:

Yeah the comic is fine. A character is a character. But now that it made me think of it. It seems like the gay kid in the end is just there to make sure everyone understands that Shinji isn't gay.

With all of the religious iconography being thrown around, Shinji could fit the mold of a celibate Christ figure. Whether or not he's a kid and the ladies are his colleagues. He clearly isn't into it. And in a way Shinji is just a boy that girls can project lust onto.

Never mind that a sex drive is a schizoid limbic system thing. There's any number of reasonable reasons to not succumb to that whether conscious or subconscious. In adults that's totally normal. In kids its more likely to mark insecurity or disgust. Shinji is a character. A highly titillated one. But the anime gives no reason to conclude he is frustrated.

Disclaimer: it's been more than a decade since I've sat down with this one. But I don't understand why these (actually good) older anime don't get played in the states at all anymore. This was one of the last good ones, along with Ghost in the Shell I guess. Anime died in the 90s (edited: since then the only good one I know of is FLCL which I will mention because of NGE)

Simon > Shinji is all I got to say.

To be honest, I still think the new movies are a MASSIVE improvement over the old show. Now we have characters acting like real people, and the world around them at least somewhat reacting to their actions. It all just seems a bit more "plausible" now (not the mecha action stuff, that works by the rule of cool, but the character development as a whole). Admittedly, though, 2.0 was the best in that regard. The entire water purification plant scene including Rei actually behaving like a human being made me smile all the way through.

Monsterfurby:
To be honest, I still think the new movies are a MASSIVE improvement over the old show. Now we have characters acting like real people, and the world around them at least somewhat reacting to their actions. It all just seems a bit more "plausible" now (not the mecha action stuff, that works by the rule of cool, but the character development as a whole). Admittedly, though, 2.0 was the best in that regard. The entire water purification plant scene including Rei actually behaving like a human being made me smile all the way through.

3.0 is going to break your fucking heart.

Grey Carter:

I remember when End of eva came out and everyone acted like it was the single worst thing to happen to Evangelion ever, claiming it ruined all the characters, made no sense to the rest of the plot, etc. etc. yet years later, its not seen as one of the single best anime movies ever.

Eva 3.0 is no different, and the claims made against it are no less false and baseless then the oens made against eoE at the time.

bartholen:

xdiesp:

Referring to the comments or the comic? In either case, some people just can't seem to take a joke.

I was thinking aloud browsing the comments... people use to bash tv because it makes you passive, "the boobtube" alright, so I was wondering the same about our fav media.

SajuukKhar:

Grey Carter:

I remember when End of eva came out and everyone acted like it was the single worst thing to happen to Evangelion ever, claiming it ruined all the characters, made no sense to the rest of the plot, etc. etc. yet years later, its not seen as one of the single best anime movies ever.

Eva 3.0 is no different, and the claims made against it are no less false and baseless then the oens made against eoE at the time.

Wait, are you saying EoE is seen as "one of the best anime movies ever" (I'm assuming the not is a typo otherwise the paragraph doesn't really make sense) because it actually isn't. The critical response has been, quite famously, very mixed.

3.0 is very different, coming after 2.0. 3.0 is basically Anno going, "remember how we gave Shinji some agency in the last film and you all loved it? THAT WAS A TRAP, MOTHERFUCKERS." It's actually pretty clever in the general scheme of things (each rebuild film has prompted a reevaluation of the one before it) but people who LIKED seeing Shinji get his shit together will be disappointed.

Grey Carter:

Wait, are you saying EoE is seen as "one of the best anime movies ever" (I'm assuming the not is a typo otherwise the paragraph doesn't really make sense) because it actually isn't. The critical response has been, quite famously, very mixed.

3.0 is very different, coming after 2.0. 3.0 is basically Anno going, "remember how we gave Shinji some agency in the last film and you all loved it? THAT WAS A TRAP, MOTHERFUCKERS." It's actually pretty clever in the general scheme of things (each rebuild film has prompted a reevaluation of the one before it) but people who LIKED seeing Shinji get his shit together will be disappointed.

Yes, it was a typo, I meant now instead of not.

The mixed reception comes from the entire time it has been out, at the beginning it was DESPISED, but over time, pretty much everyone agrees EoE is great.

Shinji had agency in EVA 3 as well, to fix world, also, Shinji getting his act together is always saved for the END, as it was with EoE. And that is why in Eva1-3 Shinji isn't together, hell, at the end of 2.0 he said "forget the world im gonna save Rei" and "forgetting the world" is one of the things the series has always said is bad. Each film has been slowly building up to Shinji getting his shit togeather, which is why he is "slightly" more together in each film, EVA 3 continues this trend.

This strip is awfully similar to this...

blackrave:
good to know I wasn't only one screaming this inside my head while watching this anime
"Bang the redhead, dammit" was the line that constantly went through my head

P.S.Although to be fair, "Bang the redhead" is my usual solution to every single problem.

Ditto, on the Ryoko bit not the redhead bit, she was incredibly unpleasant and has very little excuse for it.

Zachary Amaranth:

DVS BSTrD:
I'm pretty sure not sticking it in the crazy applies to everyone on that show. Plus Shinji's ass never did recover from how massively his dad screwed him over before the show started.

Sticking it in crazy is AWESOME. Those warnings are just for the amateurs.

it might be cliché but it's true, the best sex you'll ever have is with the crazy girl you'll probably end up loathing. and then still fucking. and hate-crazy sex is... wow.

still, if you plan on sexing a crazy, i recommend always keeping a handful of valium around.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here