College Student Kills Intruder With a Sword

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

College Student Kills Intruder With a Sword

The yard where the incident occurred.
The yard where the incident occurred.

A student at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, Maryland armed with a samurai katana killed an intruder in his home earlier today, according to Baltimore police.

Despite what video games and anime might teach impressionable young nerds, swords - albeit cool - aren't the most practical weapons in the world of guns. The phrase "don't bring a knife to a gunfight" exists for a reason, you know. A homeowner looking to make his house into a castle would probably be better off investing in a gun to defend his property and family rather than, say, a claymore.

Yet perhaps swords can be more of a self-defense tool than previously thought - earlier today (Tuesday, September 15th) a student at Johns Hopkins University armed with a sword killed a presumed burglar found in his garage. Two laptops and a PlayStation (I'm assuming it was a PS3, here) had been previously stolen from the house - home to four Johns Hopkins students - the day before, and when the 21-year-old junior chemistry major heard noises and saw the garage door open at approximately 1:20 AM this morning, he went to investigate, bringing with him a katana, reports the Associated Press.

The student confronted the intruder, asked what he was doing, and threatened to call the police. "When he said that, the suspect lunged at him, kind of forced the kid against the wall, and he struck him with the sword," said Baltimore PD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. The suspect's hand was nearly severed, left "hanging by a thread," and he received a wound to the chest that would later prove fatal - the 49-year-old intruder died at the scene.

Though the suspect's name has not yet been released, he reportedly had 29 prior arrests "mostly for burglary and breaking and entering," and had in fact just been released from a year-long prison sentence for stealing a car.

Charges have not yet been filed against the student, and in fact may not be. In Maryland - as in most states - self-defense incidents are judged on a case-by-case basis, even though there is no special invocation of the "Castle Doctrine": "A man's home is his castle." The burglar may not have been armed, but that's really not something that you can afford to think about if you're being attacked: "Hey, this guy doesn't look like he has a weapon. Maybe I should go easy on him."

"One can genuinely and reasonably be in fear of one's own safety even if the burglar is unarmed," said Andrew D. Levy, a Baltimore defense attorney and an adjunct professor at the University of Maryland School of Law. "But nonetheless, it would be something that a good prosecutor would consider."

(Thanks, hotacidbath!)

(Image: AP)

Yeah, when I heard about this I was wondering if he would get charged or not, but after more clarification on your part, perhaps he won't be. I also wanted to know about the laws on having a sharpened katana in your house as well.

Now, I've got twenty on 7 pages, what'cha got?

That is awsome.

The kid shouldn't be charged.
I would have done the same thing. Hell a lot of people would.

Bravo to the college kid, that scum got what he deserved.
I certainly hope the poor guy isn't charged with anything, it was self defense if the guy lunged at him.

That guy must have been pretty thick if he lunged at a guy that had a very long, sharp, and pointy sword. I think I would be more scared of that than a gun.

Two words, ninja training, that is all.

my first thought upon seeing someone armed with a sword would have been "fuck, I picked the wrong place to rob"

Irridium:
That is awsome.

Yep. I feel way more "That's awesome!" than "That was a bad thing to do.".

I remember a cop once explaining that the best weapon to defend yourself with in most homes is a longsword. Handguns over penetrate, and during an adrenaline rush it's very easy to miss with a handgun. Shotguns have the over penetration problem as well, and aren't very effective in closed quarters if you're not very proficient. Knife fighting is a very VERY dangerous thing to do. But a sword gives you plenty of reach, and the risk of the other guy carrying one to pull on you is very slim.

Much respect for the college kid.
I'm always in favour of giving people the right to defend themselves and their homes.
The fact that he used a sword earns more respect as I don't consider guns appropriate for any perpose outside of war.

You gotta ask yourself one question; Do I feel lucky?

Well, do ya? panku

annoyinglizardvoice:
Much respect for the college kid.
I'm always in favour of giving people the right to defend themselves and their homes.
The fact that he used a sword earns more respect as I don't consider guns appropriate for any perpose outside of war.

No place in hunting then? Though, to be fair, venison that doesn't go through hydrostatic shock is much tastier.

Good job, that's really all that can be said. I hope they don't press charges, wouldn't be fair (imo).

And they all laughed at me when I sharpened my life size Master Sword HA! this proves its a viable way to protect my home; burglars and miscreants beware, my house has a +12 defense bonus.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

Seriously though, thank Cthulhu for the Castle Clause, the one law out there that allows a person to defend themselves in a world where courts are more concerned with the rights and wellbeing of criminals than the victims. And Cthulhu damn Canada for not having this law.

"He's hackin, wackin, and slashin"

couldnt resist, but yea if he gets charged ill be surprised

I have only one thing to say.

Bring out the Gimp!

Wow. I've got a wakazashi that I got as a birthday present, and I've asked myself many times if I would use it if someone broke into my home. I mean you don't fuck with my family! The Swedish laws are kinda stupid though and I'm sure I'd be sent to jail if I used it on a burgler/robber/whatever. But damn, this guy did what I've been dreaming of doing. Good job mate. Hopefully he won't get a sentance. Cheerio!

all im gona say to that student is well done Sir

Shotguns have the over penetration problem as well, and aren't very effective in closed quarters if you're not very proficient.

Over penetration is a bad thing? I'm not normally all for guns in the home but if I'm pulling a lethal weapon on an intruder I wanna be sure that anyone I'm protecting is going to be safe.

I can always replace the carpet. I can't really replace a family member.

Also, 'not very proficient'? If you're 'not very proficient' with a longsword you're going to end up swinging it like a baseball bat. Slapping someone with the flat edge of the blade isn't nearly as effective as smacking someone with...say, a cricket bat.

29 prior arrests? Sounds like the student did everyone a service.

Hang on a sec...a CHEMISTRY MAJOR???

KILLING SOMEONE???

By chance, did he look anything like this?

Amnestic:

Shotguns have the over penetration problem as well, and aren't very effective in closed quarters if you're not very proficient.

Over penetration is a bad thing? I'm not normally all for guns in the home but if I'm pulling a lethal weapon on an intruder I wanna be sure that anyone I'm protecting is going to be safe.

I can always replace the carpet. I can't really replace a family member.

Also, 'not very proficient'? If you're 'not very proficient' with a longsword you're going to end up swinging it like a baseball bat. Slapping someone with the flat edge of the blade isn't nearly as effective as smacking someone with...say, a cricket bat.

Actually, yeah, over-penetration is a bad thing. It means that the round goes through the intended target and potentially damages / injures unintended targets nearby. In home defense, you don't wanna cap the intruder and end up putting a hole through your own TV or into the next apartment, possibly injuring a neighbor.

Good, one less scum on the street and the student defends his property. I'd fully agree with the statement "A mans home is his Castle", and those who pose a threat to you and potentially other residents (Or family/children), should be met with little compassion. You as a house owner or resident shouldn't have to wait for them to brandish a weapon or show hostile intent, they have shown they have a disregard for the law and are potenitially armed with intent to hurt/maim/kill you and all around you. Extreme force or defense of ones property shouldn't be a removed option, and they certainly deserve whatever comes their way.

Killing him, methinks, was unnecessary, but it's not like it was unprovoked. I just can't see how the confrontation escalate any further after he almost cut the guy's hand off.

Nevertheless, what the kid did with the Katanna is pretty impressive. Karma is a pretty bitch isn't she?

How great would it have been if the house turned out to belong to a ninja instead of that college student? But yeah, no charges should be brought against the student... Self defence and all. Although there was a hairy case to do with that over here in England a few years ago. But in that case the 'self defence' was shooting the burglar a couple of times without saying a word. Kind of like:

*BLAM*
*BLAM*
"WHO'S THERE?!"

UsefulPlayer 1:
Killing him, methinks, was unnecessary, but it's not like it was unprovoked. I just can't see how the confrontation escalate any further after he almost cut the guy's hand off.

I get the impression the confrontation didn't escalate so much as the sword just kept going :)

Also, good for the kid. If you attack someone with a sharpened blade, you really are asking to being killed.

If the courts do charge him for killing a burden on society, ESPECIALLY WHEN HE WAS BEING ASSAULTED, I will kill them personally with a claymore.

way to go college student for being able to defend himself

the fact that he used a Katana to do the job just makes it more badass

I only have one question in response to this:

Was it a Hattori Hanzo sword?

Make of that what you will. I can't believe I'm so geeky that all I thought of was Kill Bill when I first read this. It's [the katana incident] still a pretty badass feat, though.

HardRockSamurai:

KILLING SOMEONE???

It would've been even better if he had used a crowbar but still.

HardRockSamurai:

KILLING SOMEONE???

Isn't Gordon Freeman a theoretical physicist rather than a Chemistry guy?

Sightless Wisdom:

HardRockSamurai:

KILLING SOMEONE???

It would've been even better if he had used a crowbar but still.

The Free Man don't use no crowbar no' mo', Gravity Gun = Mo' Bettah'.

~The Cole Train

I will be so proud of our legal system/ society if that college student isn't charged with anything.

One kid joined the army.

One kid went to work.

One kid went to Uni and FUCKING KILLED SOMEONE!

Guy should get a bloody medal.In Saudi they would have cut off his hand. I guess this kid tried it to, but got bored and went for the chest.

I wont lose sleep over the scum of our race.

Starke:
I remember a cop once explaining that the best weapon to defend yourself with in most homes is a longsword. Handguns over penetrate, and during an adrenaline rush it's very easy to miss with a handgun. Shotguns have the over penetration problem as well, and aren't very effective in closed quarters if you're not very proficient. Knife fighting is a very VERY dangerous thing to do. But a sword gives you plenty of reach, and the risk of the other guy carrying one to pull on you is very slim.

Good thing I have a scimitar. XD

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or