Port of Dark Souls Prepares PC Gamers for Death

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

To be honest I just hope that they bring all that bonus content over to the consoles. It would really suck if that was PC exclusive. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, but you never know.

Jorec:
To be honest I just hope that they bring all that bonus content over to the consoles. It would really suck if that was PC exclusive. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, but you never know.

There are (unconfirmed) rumors that the content was actually cut from the original game due to performance issues.

If that rumor proves false then I can't imagine them not simply patching the content in.

I would of bought it again ( I own it on ps3 already) but no frigging way if it has GFWL , it's a pile of dogshit

August is a long time to wait. I guess I've got plenty of time to build up my patience.

Looking forward to this game that's gonna constant spam me with "YOU DIED" into oblivion.

I am not quite into games that are too difficult myself,but I think this title will surprise me in a good way.

Uhhh, not GFWL!
Even if I can buy it through Steam, GFWL is so bloated and demanding, plus it always forgets my existence and all my saves. I've never finished my PC copy of Bioshock 2 because no matter how many different ways I tried to save, or how far I got through, GFWL would always forget me.
Might have to think twice about this one, not sure it needs any more frustration added to it than it provides.

I will definitely be buying the game. It sucks that it's for GFWL, but at this point it would be grossly immoral of me to not buy it after pushing so hard to push it onto PC.

That said, I'll be writing a letter personally to Namco and FROM to inform them of my dislike of GFWL and other forms of invasive DRM, especially invasive DRM that can corrupt your save files and stuff.

Signed the petition despite never going to play this game. No person deserves GFWL.

Im way more exited than I even thought I would be! I played it on ps3 and thought I wouldn't wanna play it all over again for 30, but with extra content I know I bloody will!

Now with that gushing aside FFS sake Namco don't put this on GFWL or indeed EVER on GFWL ever, nobody should. Put it on Steam, say what you like about Steam but so many more people will buy it! Maybe they couldn't for some reason? Whatever its that or about half their potential market is gone because GFWL is the worst thing since fused bread.

I can't see why there's so much hate for GFWL. It's annoying, but the only time it has actively screwed me over is Batman Arkham City. I think I might get this game when it comes out.

I know Dark Souls likes to punish it's players, but GFWL is taking it a bit far.

Marshall Honorof:
prepare arguments for why Dark Souls will never be as hardcore as the X series (with the exception of that mollycoddling X3).

Waaaaait wait wait wait wait. Not letting that pass by. You probably wont read this but I found X3 to be just X2 but better. In some sense it was even HARDER for new users as now theres almost no tutorial at all. Also I will be very disappointed if the escapist doesn't review X:Rebirth when it comes out.

OT: Not buying if its on GFWL. I hate that service. Its a maze of menus, bad design and unfriendliness. Steam or we arent talking.

Mr Companion:
-snip-

Its not because of bugs etc, its mostly cause its well....bad. Its hard to navigate, its a really bad memory hog, stupidly difficult to set up online/offline profiles, limited selection of games compared to Steam and basically just lacking in features that we have grown used to with Steam. Its the same reason (most) people dont like Origin. We have grown used to Steam and the huge number of features it has, then when a new platform tests the waters with only half the things we are used to, its like swapping out your sports car for a horse and cart.

Doom-Slayer:

Waaaaait wait wait wait wait. Not letting that pass by. You probably wont read this but I found X3 to be just X2 but better.

Hey, I read my comments! To be honest, I'm not super-familiar with the series, but based on what I've heard about it, thought that'd be a funny aside. No slight intended if you dig X3.

Marshall Honorof:

Doom-Slayer:

Waaaaait wait wait wait wait. Not letting that pass by. You probably wont read this but I found X3 to be just X2 but better.

Hey, I read my comments! To be honest, I'm not super-familiar with the series, but based on what I've heard about it, thought that'd be a funny aside. No slight intended if you dig X3.

Haha. Oooh it would be very much. Basically X3's tutorial consists of flying and shooting and absolutely nothing else. It has an incredibly high difficulty curve, and it took me almost 3 games just to learn how to automate some of my ships. Its certainly not a game you just pick up and play, its more of a "dedicate a week to this game" then play.

Well this is awesome news, great to hear it finally hitting the PC.
But about GFWL...well, I don`t really like it. I mean, it`s not horrible, but still...
Either way, the pros outweigh the cons, and Ill be looking forward to this game nonetheless.

Valagetti:
So its official.... holy shit!!! I'll just step outside and see if the three horsemen are knocking on my door.

What happened to the fourth?

Anyway: Gods I hate GFWL. I'd be giving this game a go if it wasn't for that.

GFWL = GTFO of my PC, that's all there is to it. Minimum is Steam, but to get the "shut up and take my money" approach, that would require GoG.

pff, coward.

only thing that would stop me from getting it (aside money) is REALLY shitty DRM ... oh wait ...

so unless they change it, i will sadly have to pass :<

Skizle:
Honestly i am disgusted by this news, this is coming from a PC gamer mind you. Unless they make it so that its mod proof, then the entire game is ruined because of the fact that people will mod it just to tone down the difficulty and that right there folks is why this will probably be a poor port because any sort of challenge that the player might feel is just some time and coding away from being easier.

This would only be an issue if you were playing online. It would suck if you invaded someone's world only to find that all the enemies in their game that you were hoping to take advantage of in defeating the host can be one-shotted with a broken-sword. It would make for some unbalanced invasions.

But to be honest, I don't think modding will be allowed if you're playing online (unless they have a separate dedicated modding server). It would unbalance the invasion/pvp. Dark Souls has always been about being limited to the armour and weapons in the game to create your ultimate build and nothing else. That's part of the challenge. You can't freely mod Dark Souls in the same way you can Skyrim, because the online features are so interwoven into the single player experience. Of course you could just play the game offline completely, but that's half the fun removed in my book.

I just ordered in the 360 version from overseas (special edition 'n all that). ...should I just... cancel the order and get this? ...actually I don't care. If it's that good I'm sure I can buy it twice.

Ninjat_126:
So wait, what happens to the people who bought it on 360 and PS3? Do we get a DLC pack or anything?

inb4 "console kiddies". Platform wars are not wanted here, I'm happy to share with the PC gamers.

This. I already bought it on Xbox 360, and while I would have bought the PC version if it had come out simultaneously with the 360 version, I don't know if I can justify buying a game I already have, for another platform. But I'm so totally starved for new Dark Souls content, that if they DON'T release this as DLC for the consoles, I may just break down and buy it again anyway! :(
Also, a stable framerate in Blighttown and New Londo WOULD be nice, so that's another motive.

valkeminator:
A true gamer should just embrace this growth -- its good for everyone and the industry as a whole. Unless we need to make a new word for racism, but its aimed at what console you play...

The word 'elitism' seems to have mutated to suit that purpose.

I have GFWL on other titles and it doesn't bother me that much. It works just fine on most of them. Only like two titles have had some issues with. But only a few times.

So I'm still getting it. As I really wanted to play it.

its sweet that the PC guys are getting this amazing game hopefully we consol players get the new stuff aswell but ARTORIAS! i cant wait to learn more about that guy.

Blurgh :/

I was quite looking forward to this. But Im not sure that I will be buying this game if it have GFWL :/

Could I ask, in all seriousness, what's wrong with GFWL? I've only ever played one game (Age of Empires Online) through it, and it seemed to work pretty well. Does it get screwy with single-player games?

Why do console players always demand to get the extra content after we have to wait sometimes YEARS for the games to even be considered for a terrible port? You already bought the game, this is like asking for a free Ipod because they came out with a new one and it's not fair other people get a newer one.

On topic though... I'm really glad I held off buying this for the PS3. I've been extremely tempted to go out and pick this up, but the possibility of a PC version always held me back. Lets hope they tweak the graphics a little higher too.

Braedan:
Why do console players always demand to get the extra content after we have to wait sometimes YEARS for the games to even be considered for a terrible port? You already bought the game, this is like asking for a free Ipod because they came out with a new one and it's not fair other people get a newer one.

It's a nice gesture. When we bought the PS3 and 360 versions of the game, we funded your ability to play a PC version. The Ipod comparison doesn't really work because it's not a new game, it's a port.

Several reactions:

1. How quick are the load times after death? This can be quite frustrating.

2. GFWL?!? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This game should be named

Dark Souls: Prepare to [server error number 6675636b20796f75] Games For Windows Live will now terminate. Do you want to send an error report? [ ]yes [x]no

(screw it, I'll just try some new mods for skyrim)

3. X3 is a pretty little toy but not particularly challenging...

Even the distribution service is difficult!

Loop Stricken:

Valagetti:
So its official.... holy shit!!! I'll just step outside and see if the three horsemen are knocking on my door.

What happened to the fourth?

Anyway: Gods I hate GFWL. I'd be giving this game a go if it wasn't for that.

Same here. GFWL has made it basically impossible for me to play Dawn of War 2 anymore despite havin it on Steam because there is somethin, and I have no clue what, that doesn't allow me to activate the damn game anymore. I refuse to support any developer that puts that pile of fail on their product no matter how much I want their game.

I may actually buy this ... just to beat it again.

When in doubt, choose Pyromancer and master key :D

leet_x1337:
Yeah, sure we're afraid. We're afraid of having to use Games for Windows Live again.

Rock Paper Shotgun
Another Escapist post
Destructoid

Is this Namco Bandai's idea of a joke? Because it really isn't funny.

GODDAMNIT, I WANTED THIS GAME TOO.

I refuse to purchase products that use GFWL, and I really was getting psyched up for this. What a disappointment.

Marshall Honorof:
Could I ask, in all seriousness, what's wrong with GFWL? I've only ever played one game (Age of Empires Online) through it, and it seemed to work pretty well. Does it get screwy with single-player games?

Well I've heard plenty of people say it has outright deleted saves in Fallout 3 and Arkham City and plenty of people have had massive connection issues in multiplayer games. Considering how Dark Souls works it looks like we will have the best of both worlds with deleting saves and connection issues. In case you can't tell I signed the petition to get it removed.

this sums up my reaction perfectly,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2H-ZNfhxbs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook