DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

DC Says One Of Its"Iconic" Heroes Is Gay

The hero will be coming out of the closet in June.

When you get down to it, there's something about superhero comics that is just inherently homoerotic. You have these strapping, square-jawed men in skin-tight spandex with rippling muscles forging lasting bonds with equally spandex-clad muscle-men - it's like the locker room after a football game. In that light, it's a wonder that there aren't more openly gay superheroes. However, DC Comics says that one of its major heroes will be soon joining the ranks of Northstar and the Midnighter as an openly gay crimefighter.

Speaking at the Kapow comic convention in London, DC co-publisher Dan DiDio was asked about DC's policies regarding its universe "reboot" and the reimagining of its historic characters. DC had previously said that any LGBT characters would be newly introduced rather than existing characters reworked. But why, DiDio was asked, was it okay to change a character's age, race, size, or any other number of features that made them identifiable, yet sexual orientation was off the table?

DiDio answered that DC had in fact reevaluated that policy as well. In fact, he said, a storyline in June would reintroduce a character who had previously been portrayed as heterosexual as gay. This superhero would be "one of our most prominent gay characters," said DiDio.

Predictably, this answer caused quite a stir, with many across the internet trying to figure out which of DC's many, many characters would be coming out of the closet. A statement from DC's Senior VP of Publicity Courtney Simmons narrowed it down, when she confirmed to ABC Burbank that one of DC's "major iconic" characters will "reveal that he is gay in a storyline in June." So we know that the hero in question is male, and that he is considered an "iconic" level character.

That slims the field down considerably. The only male DC superheroes I can think of who would be considered "iconic" are Batman, Superman, Flash, Green Lantern, and maybe Aquaman. Any one of these coming out of the closet would be a huge deal, as he would easily be the most high-profile gay hero in the comics business - how many people who don't follow comics have heard of Wiccan or Apollo?

In all seriousness, while I applaud DC for making one of its major characters gay, I can't shake the feeling that this is little more than a stunt. Whether it's to keep pace with the mood of the country following President Obama's declaration of support of gay marriage, or to keep pace with rival publisher Marvel, who just announced that two of its gay heroes would be getting married - it feels a bit more exploitative than it does genuine.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and maybe DC will treat the subject matter with the seriousness it deserves. Maybe the high profile nature of the character will make it so that instead of being "that gay superhero," he'll be "that awesome superhero who fights crime, and oh yeah he happens to like dudes." I would love for that to be the case.

I just hope it isn't Aquaman. Making the "joke" superhero gay would feel like a pretty sleazy thing to do.

Source: BleedingCool

I always wondered why they called him Martian "Man Hunter".

Come one, we all know it's going to be Aquaman.

I just hope DC handles it a bit better than Marvel's recent attempts. Young Avenger's Hulkling and Wiccan can be hard to watch sometimes. Its one of the most cliched romances I have seen in a comic book. It seems writers forget how to utilize subtly when trying to send the message "HEY CHECK IT OUT! THESE TEENAGE SUPER HEROES ARE GAY!" Yeah, we get it. Don't understand why their relationship has to be 100% of their characters though (at least in Hulkling's case... Wiccan has some other stuff going for him).

/rant

This will go over about as well as Online DRM. They couldn't have come up with a new superhero? They had to change an existing one. Alienating part of those readers, so another group of readers can feel better about themselves. Great choice DC!

3-2-1 IT'S AQUAMAN!

Oh, wow. This just reeks of marketing. Poor show!

If they do it right it will matter about as much as Dumbledore turning out to be gay. Just something mentioned in passing, not making a huge, stupid "Coming Out" ceremony. Being gay shouldn't be a shocking revelation.

That said, I was totally about to say it's gonna be Green Arrow, but that would cause way too many Ollie "Queen" jokes, so then I'd say my money is on either one of the Flashes or one of the important Lanterns.

I bet Batman. Him and Robin, Come on guys!

One thing about DC, they aren't afraid to shake things up. At best this is only temporary though. In another 10 years they will reboot the whole universe again and they will shake things up again by making their most iconic gay superhero strait.

It's all the lack of continuity that makes me not read their comics that much. Pretty much everyone else does that better.

Edit: Also, it's gonna be Aquaman, if there was any hero in DC that was in the closet anyway, it was him.

Obviously it's Batman.

Has Robin made a return in the reboot? I don't really follow it.

I assure you those two lines are unrelated.

It's always interesting that Aquaman is still considered a joke hero. He was a worthless 'talks to fish' guy in Super Friends, and most people today probably haven't even seen it - they've just seen him mocked in Family Guy and so forth. Like the superimposed sound effects from the Adam West batman series, it's something that just became an indelible part of the public perception even though it was in an adaptation of the still-ongoing source material.

On topic: Hopefully DC is actually changing the character and intending this change to be permanent, as opposed to doing a temporary stunt for publicity. It's already insulting to have superman, batman, cap, and the human torch die and return in a desperate effort to make buzz and headlines. How atrocious would it be for characters to temporarily change orientation as an attention-grabber?

Okay betting time gentlemen.

Will it be Batman? Dude dresses like a bat and beats people up in his pants. Sure he seems to like the ladies, but he also has a real issue seeing one lady and liking just that lady. Might be looking at them all and being insecure about his feelings before the answer he was looking for was actually a penis. Odds are kinda low there.

Will it be Superman? He dresses so flamboyantly it's like he sprays himself with fabulous every morning. Does like the ladies though, that's confirmed. Odds are very low.

Will it be Wonder Woman? Every chance that Wonder Woman is since she's an Amazon and, in history, Amazonian women hated men, so she could very well be a lesbian. Plus it'd be great fanservice among male comic fans. Odds are kinda high.

Perhaps Aquaman? I mean he...

Wow... okay. Odds are stupid high. It's probably Aquaman.

Calumon: So is gay people liking the same people as them like boy and boy? Why's that a big deal?

John Funk:

I just hope it isn't Aquaman. Making the "joke" superhero gay would feel like a pretty sleazy thing to do.

agreed

i hope its Super Man my self, though that's the part of me that dislikes him, thus wants something to laugh at while his fan-base burns a few forums down in butthurt rage.

realistically?

I'm calling the Flash or Green Lantern though.

If it's Aquaman I will be very disappointed at its predictability.

PS: here's hoping for a bisexual character, rather than being pinned down to just attracted to one gender which would be hard as I think ALL the characters have expressed at least some interest in the opposite gender.

PPS: But that wouldn't be contradictory really as bisexual simply means homosexual AND heterosexual. Hetero/homosexual doesn't mean EXCLUSIVE interests, just that that interests is there. it's like :
"I like fish"
"But I saw you eating beef earlier!"
"I also like Beef..."

Waaghpowa:

Neh, if going by Arkham City, he has a thing for Catwomen and Talia Al Ghul.

OT: I'm guessing The Flash or Green Lanturn

However i would love it to be Beast Boy or Cyborg :')

For everyone saying "Aquaman" somehow i doubt it, remember he does like fish...

Comic books are gay..."not that there's anything wrong with that."
I was actually surprised to see the "come on it's Aquaman" comments pop up quicker than the "come on it's Batman" comments. However the Batman and Robin implication implies more than homosexuality. Wasn't Robin a kid?

I'm just wringing my hands in hopes that it's Wonder Woman.

martian manhunter obviously. He's an alien and he's just a little head in the background, not iconic at all. This way they can make a gay character and still make it look different from the norm. Win/win, sorta. Though in all honesty it should be Wonder Woman. She is into bondage after all.

Didn't Grant Morrison recently say he thinks Batman is probably gay? And if you look at him as a character it makes a lot of sense. Batman being gay really wouldn't bug me, sexuality is really not a big deal. People need to understand that pulling stuff like this doesn't help make sexuality less of a big deal, it makes it a bigger deal.

If it is Bats I just hope they don't make it into his sole character trait. Sexuality is incidental, leave it that way.
Although this would make for some very interesting Joker storylines in the future. Preying on Batman's sexual weakness always makes for Joker's most interesting moments.

Jack and Calumon:

Will it be Wonder Woman? Every chance that Wonder Woman is since she's an Amazon and, in history, Amazonian women hated men, so she could very well be a lesbian. Plus it'd be great fanservice among male comic fans. Odds are kinda high.

i thought about that, but seems like the low hanging fruit

Calumon: So is gay people liking the same people as them like boy and boy? Why's that a big deal?

I'm voting for Calumon for president. comments like this make me think he'd be a great leader, or least better then the ones we have

I thought DC said it would be a character new to the "NEW 52". So I'm voting for Wally West

Also: in Marvel comics Wiccan and Hulkling have been dating for 7 years.

Edit:
And don't forget about Northstar and Kyle Jinadu who are getting married.

I'm not a betting man, but my money is on Flash. Green Lantern is a close second.

Superman - part of his story is his relationship with Lois Lane, so no.

Batman - too obvious with all the suspicions through the years; besides, he's the "World's Most Eligible Bachelor", meaning in comic book lingo "He gets tons of girls", so again no.

Aquaman - unless the reboot changed things, he's kinda married and no I don't think it's denial or cover, so again no

Flash and GL are the only ones that make any sense to me. Still, if done correctly, well done DC. I totally support this, again if done correctly.

arc1991:

Waaghpowa:

There are plenty of cases in which someone had heterosexual sex, had children then came out. The fact that Batman had a relationship with Talia isn't indicative of his heterosexuality.

Some times it takes a persons entire life to come out after trying to do what society considers "normal".

Politically Correct stunt, nothing to see here. That said I imagine the whole "coming out" issue will sell a lot of books, and that's the big point. If it tanks the title they can always retcon it later.

I say this is a PC stunt because out of the iconic characters pretty much every one of them has a love interest, many have been married, and we've even had kids running around at various times, sometimes from alternate timelines, sometimes not.

Aquaman has had his queens and mer-babes, Superman has had Lois Lane, Batman had his big things with Catwoman and Talia and has a son, etc... even Martian Manhunter has had his past loves.

At this point pretty much all of the iconic characters would have to be retconned into being gay. Except maybe Wonder Woman (if they said Lesbian) but her being bi- kind of falls under the "duh" catagory, though I imagine they could spend some time on who she's been with to be shocking (ie other iconic or well known characters at times, behind the scenes). I suppose they COULD work with second stringer heroes using an iconic mantle, like say some of the "also ran" Green Lanterns that also have the name.

I'll also say this is lulzworthy because DC actually runs an entire imprint called "Wildstorm" that is full of LGBT characters. Noir, Apollo, The Midnighter, Sarah Rainmaker, Swift (Bi), etc...

Heralding this entire thing has been this whole supposition that DC needs to catch up with other comics companies in the arena of political correctness, but really it's probably been at this longer than say Marvel as it has LGBT characters who are still in print to the best of my knowlege. This having been handled better than say the whole reveal that Northstar was gay in Marvel from years ago.

There isn't really any stopping them, and I suppose in the short term it's a good move because of the sales it will generate of whatever title they pick. In the long term it's a ret conning nightmare that is probably going to play havoc with continuity, especially given how much the whole "I must save my girlfriend" thing has been used as a motivating force for any of those characters.

To me the funniest character for them to say would be gay is actually Hawkman (as opposed to Aquaman) I mean girly wings, leather straps... he fits the image. Of course it would be lulzworthy because Hawkman is the character who is probably most based around his heterosexuality as a big part of his storylines has revolved around his girlfriend and how if he and his soul mate ever get together death/doom follows. I suppose technically they could have his soul mate reincarnate as a guy, but that would kind of be pushing it in saying "he was always gay". This aspect of the character was brought out and used to beat you over the head in part of the whole "Darkest Night" / "Brightest Day" thing a few years ago where he had a whole scene about that with Hawkwoman.

That said in other things I read on the subject they didn't say "gay" flat out, but seemed to dance around it. That lead me to believe that they were finally just going to spell out the nature of Wonder Woman's romance life, which would be the one iconic character they could say was always that way, without much in the way of retconning.

Also, isn't Plastic Man gay already?

Frontastic:
Didn't Grant Morrison recently say he thinks Batman is probably gay? And if you look at him as a character it makes a lot of sense. Batman being gay really wouldn't bug me, sexuality is really not a big deal. People need to understand that pulling stuff like this doesn't help make sexuality less of a big deal, it makes it a bigger deal.

If it is Bats I just hope they don't make it into his sole character trait. Sexuality is incidental, leave it that way.
Although this would make for some very interesting Joker storylines in the future. Preying on Batman's sexual weakness always makes for Joker's most interesting moments.

I can just imagine Riddlers new line...

"Riddle me this, Riddle me that, who's afraid of the homosexual bat"?

And Joker... "Well look who it is, It's my dearest friend, I'm flattered you were thinking of me Bat's but i don't swing that way"...

Lets face it, if it was him the villains would have a field day considering 70% of them make wise ass jokes...

I'm betting its Wonder Woman, with some of the reimaging of characters and some of the women being a bit more... sexually in either costume, attitude, personality etc, I'm betting for the male fans they are making it Wonder Woman.

If not here are my other options.

Green Lantern, safe bet to not make it too iconic.

Superman, full out LGBT support to make the hero's hero gay.

Batman, too much of a low hanging fruit, the Robin/Batman fanservice would be WAYYY too justified here.

Joke options

Green Arrow

The Martian "Man Hunter"

Waaghpowa:

arc1991:

Waaghpowa:

There are plenty of cases in which someone had heterosexual sex, had children then came out. The fact that Batman had a relationship with Talia isn't indicative of his heterosexuality.

Some times it takes a persons entire life to come out after trying to do what society considers "normal".

True, but considering he put Talia safety before the rest of the City, and was only stopped by Alfred, kinda tells me he is straight, but i suppose your right.

If it is him, Joker will have a field day.

Aquaman is 1) slightly less of a joke now, and 2) actually married. Seems unlikely

Most of the other major characters are getting some on a regular basis in the reboot...

Cyborg's fairly high-ranking at the moment courtesy of justice league, so that's a possibility. As is Superboy, I guess. Kyle Rayner (Green Lantern), maybe, since Soranik Natu hasn't reappeared yet?

I read too many comics.

EDIT: Post-reboot:

Superman's still going after Lois Lane

Flash is in a relationship

Batman's still on-again, off-again with Catwoman

Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) is kind of in a relationship

Aquaman's married.

Well-known heroes left: The other 3 green lanterns, Cyborg, Wonder Woman, assorted previous Robins, Batgirl, most members of the Teen Titans. (I don't know about Green Arrow)
I really read too many comics.

As long as they don't got the Batwoman route and point out every two seconds that she's a lesbian, it's fine. Nothing against anyone at any point on the spectrum of sexuality, it's just that I object to DC dancing around going 'look how politically correct we are!'

Hah, it will be an Earth 2 character. Alan Scott or Jay Garrick. Maybe Kyle Rayner...

Congratz to you DC comics. Now can you please get over this "gay power".

nobody really cares. Why? Becuase people can accpet that homosexuality exists, ffs, this is indirecly homophobic.

arc1991:
True, but considering he put Talia safety before the rest of the City, and was only stopped by Alfred, kinda tells me he is straight, but i suppose your right.

We can't run under the assumption that him putting the welfare of a woman ahead of everything else equals heterosexual love either. He's also put the well being of Robin first.

Definitely the Flash or Green Lantern. Largely because any other characters would be a distraction and disruption of major established relationships. It could be Aquaman, but that just seems like it would be a little too easy.

Antari:
This will go over about as well as Online DRM. They couldn't have come up with a new superhero? They had to change an existing one. Alienating part of those readers, so another group of readers can feel better about themselves. Great choice DC!

Yes, because you're equally alienated when Catwoman likes men, why can't she like women too!? Shut up.

In all seriousness, this is insulting, it's most likely going to be green lantern, because god forbid Batman would like the penis.

Gorilla Gunk:
Come one, we all know it's going to be Aquaman.

But they specifically state it will be an "Iconic" Superhero.

Its either, Martian Manhunter, Green Arrow, the Flash or Hawkman, but my moneys on Martian Manhunter, mainly cos he's the most alien, and they may do things differently on Mars. And I know Superman is from another planet too, but he was raised on earth. However maybe his relationship with Lois Lane is a Front, but personally I think Superman is too obvious a choice, so I still think Martian Manhunter, but next choice would be the Flash, cos Manhunter maybe asexual.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here