Ideas for Fallout 4

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

While I love the whole ruined Americana feel of the Fallout games, I reckon it would be really cool if they set one in a sort of teddy-boy '50s London. Decrepit Union Flags hung in grimy windows, the shattered face of Big Ben dominating the horizon, fighting gangs of teddy-boys in streets marred with the burnt-out shells of nuclear-powered double-decker buses and black cabs, the authoritarian remains of the British royal family to deal with (possibly in-bred after so many years to the point of hilarity).

As for American settings, I think they should expand on what they shot for in Point Lookout and go with j-e-f-f-e-r-s' idea.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
What would I like to see? A Fallout game set in Louisiana. Fallout: New Orleans, or something like that. The setting has everything you would need to make a new Fallout game that has enough of the old games to be recognisable, but enough new stuff to actually feel original and fresh.

Oddly enough we know absolutely nothing about the New York of the fallout universe. Honestly I think it would be very cool to have a game set there in there. Imagine the fallout Manhattan each skyscraper would be home to a different tribe or group. A fallout new york game has a lot of potential.

spectrenihlus:
Oddly enough we know absolutely nothing about the New York of the fallout universe. Honestly I think it would be very cool to have a game set there in there. Imagine the fallout Manhattan each skyscraper would be home to a different tribe or group. A fallout new york game has a lot of potential.

We do know that New York had a power draw enough to force a problem with its nuclear reactor. Turns out it had an over population problem (17 million) that was enough to send its nuclear reactor to go super critical, but no actual meltdown occurred.

It was mentioned in the fallout bible 0.

Ultratwinkie:

spectrenihlus:

We do know that New York had a power draw enough to force a problem with its nuclear reactor. Turns out it had an over population problem (17 million) that was enough to send its nuclear reactor to go super critical, but no actual meltdown occurred.

It was mentioned in the fallout bible 0.

Yes and that is literally it. No mention on what it looks like after the bombs fell therefore they literally have a blank page on what to do with New York and therefore almost limitless possibilities.

spectrenihlus:

I can't wait to jump from loadscreen to loadscreen.

I still think that the Commonwealth is a much more likely place for the game to be set, it already has some background mentioned (Fallout 3, android quest), and has thus-far not been explored in any game.

Brainpaint:
I'd like to see/read what happened in Canada during and after the war.

When it became part of the USA, how many people objected? What did they do to try and stop it?
Are there irradiated moose running around ramming and stomping wastelanders to death? Inuit nomads that escaped the bombs running trade routes with tamed grolarbear guards?
Hell, to have a Native American RACE to pick would be good.

Just putting that out there...

Oh I know.

1. The Americans basically subjugated everyone. That video of a soldier killing a civilian in Fallout 1? That was supposedly from Canada.

2. America drained Canada of ALL RESOURCES. Entire forests were cut down, all minerals were mined. When America was done with Canada it was an empty, dead wasteland. All resources went to the war effort. Its this reason why America still has resources, they stole resources from everyone else to fund the war but use very little of their own.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Canada

America bent Canada over the barrel, like it did to so many other nations in the timeline. Fallout was never very pretty, but then again neither is our own reality.

Spartan1362:

spectrenihlus:

I still think that the Commonwealth is a much more likely place for the game to be set, it already has some background mentioned (Fallout 3, android quest), and has thus-far not been explored in any game.

I think the commonwealth would a be a cool dlc area for the New York game, I don't think you would be able to pull a full games worth out of the commonwealth however.

Ideas?
Make the brotherhood of steel in a tense situation, infighting, so to say.
Have 3 diffirent groups,
The outcasts, fighting to restore the brotherhood to it's formal self
The regulars, fighting to help others, but also remaining close to what the brotherhood was before. Not recruting civilians, still hoarding technology, ect.
and the second extream, fighting souly for others, relying on cruddier technology, but being heavier in number, recruiting wastelanders, sharing technology with the populous, ect.
Have the player either join one, over take them all into one group's views, or restore them all together temporarly to help the player's need.

Have some really cool all out assault parts, where the player's allies join up to spear head a the antigonist group, or let the player avoid it all together by joining the antigonist and fighting against some of the would be allies.

Make skyrim like civil war quest, but make it longer, have assaults on settlements, have defending settlements, and not just running from fort to fort and kill a few stormcloaks/imperials.

EDIT: already saw this on hear, but vehicles.

spectrenihlus:

Spartan1362:

spectrenihlus:

I think the commonwealth would a be a cool dlc area for the New York game, I don't think you would be able to pull a full games worth out of the commonwealth however.

It's quite a large place, the same could have probably be said about the Mojave.

It was mentioned quite a bit in Fallout 3 unlike New York, giving the player some background, so I think its far more likely.

Weather effects, better combat, and the assasination/finisher moves from Skyrim. All I want really

Spartan1362:

spectrenihlus:

Spartan1362:

It's quite a large place, the same could have probably be said about the Mojave.

It was mentioned quite a bit in Fallout 3 unlike New York, giving the player some background, so I think its far more likely.

Except the Mohave had the whole Legion v NCR v House thing going on. The commonwealth are simply to powerful they would only be properly matched by BoS(who only have a small force on the east coast) the enclave ( which is for all intents and purposes dead) or Mr, House ( who is either dead or all the way in the Mojave) how would you even challenge the commonwealth?

spectrenihlus:

Spartan1362:

spectrenihlus:

Except the Mohave had the whole Legion v NCR v House thing going on. The commonwealth are simply to powerful they would only be properly matched by BoS(who only have a small force on the east coast) the enclave ( which is for all intents and purposes dead) or Mr, House ( who is either dead or all the way in the Mojave) how would you even challenge the commonwealth?

There could be a divide within the Commonwealth itself, insert espionage and whatnot.
Army of androids who are sick of being slaves could work too.

Spartan1362:

spectrenihlus:

Spartan1362:

There could be a divide within the Commonwealth itself, insert espionage and whatnot.

Still sounds like an awesome dlc idea like the Pitt or Dead Money, just doesn't seem to have enough for a whole game to be based in it. I would accept it if it wasn't the only are of concern in the game.

Also what do we know of other American cities. I know San Francisco has already been done but what about Chicago or Seattle?

Stoneface:
Ok, so I got bored of Skyrim and decided to re-play Fallout New Vegas (I prefer the lore and combat of Fallout)and a thought struck me that if Bethesda has a consistent launch schedule then the next Fallout game might be out by next year.

I kinda doubt Fallout 4 will come out next year. It took like 6 years to make Skyrim and they might wait until the next consoles if they feel like rebuilding the engine instead of refitting Skyrim's. But I do think Tod Howard is making shit happen right now.

But that aside I would want a more photo realistic fallout. It feels kinda juvenile when games should be about how they play but the series is about immersion and blood and guts and mutants look better when you can count the veins on a mutated cow's utter. And weather would be cool. Watching out for radioactive rain would make for good strategy.

spectrenihlus:

Spartan1362:

spectrenihlus:

Still sounds like an awesome dlc idea like the Pitt or Dead Money, just doesn't seem to have enough for a whole game to be based in it. I would accept it if it wasn't the only are of concern in the game.

Also what do we know of other American cities. I know San Francisco has already been done but what about Chicago or Seattle?

With the commonwealth you have cities (Boston), areas that can play on well know myths (Salem), they have the ocean, the Maine settlements based around the lighthouses, Fort Kent, The Maine/Vermont wildernesses. Each state could have it's own faction vying for control or freedom. New Hampshire for example could have a faction based on their Live Free or Die motto, Vermont Survivalists, Maine anti-government compounds, Massachusetts Central government, Rhode Island and Connecticut can have some too, I just can't think of any right now

artanis_neravar:

spectrenihlus:

Spartan1362:

With the commonwealth you have cities (Boston), areas that can play on well know myths (Salem), they have the ocean, the Maine settlements based around the lighthouses, Fort Kent, The Maine/Vermont wildernesses. Each state could have it's own faction vying for control or freedom. New Hampshire for example could have a faction based on their Live Free or Die motto, Vermont Survivalists, Maine anti-government compounds, Massachusetts Central government, Rhode Island and Connecticut can have some too, I just can't think of any right now

I say they wait a decade and do the entirety of the United States+Canada.

Personally, I would like to see the next Fallout game In either New York, Chicago, or Florida.
New York because you can basically have about 80% of the game world in the city. Chicago because I remember in Fallout New Vegas one of ED-E's audio files said something about an enclave base in Chicago, so the story could be that the Brotherhood of Steel from fallout 3 expand to get rid of the Enclave, but have the protagonist decide weather to help the brotherhood or to help the Enclave. Florida because of the various landmarks, and we haven't had Fallout take place in someplace that was tropical.

Well, Im usually championing for New York, just for the idea of a completely urban environment that people are forced to live in (I think it would be interesting to see whole skyscrapers being turned into city-state like places with the tribal mentality).

But, I recently thought of something else; Miami.

Also, I would like to see a revamp of the weapon mod system. While NV's system worked, it still lacked the same touch as the FO3 weapon modding... err... mod. While I would keep the few weapon specific mods, I would also add universal mods like FO univers version of Reflex sights, silencers and such.

spectrenihlus:

artanis_neravar:

spectrenihlus:

I say they wait a decade and do the entirety of the United States+Canada.

That I would agree with, as long as there are vehicles, and I don't have to run (especially if it is new vegas' slightly faster walk kind of run).

LoneWanderer:
Personally, I would like to see the next Fallout game In either New York, Chicago, or Florida.
New York because you can basically have about 80% of the game world in the city. Chicago because I remember in Fallout New Vegas one of ED-E's audio files said something about an enclave base in Chicago, so the story could be that the Brotherhood of Steel from fallout 3 expand to get rid of the Enclave, but have the protagonist decide weather to help the brotherhood or to help the Enclave. Florida because of the various landmarks, and we haven't had Fallout take place in someplace that was tropical.

I believe Fallout Tactics involved the Brotherhood in Chicago (they mention something about the Chicago brotherhood in 3 if I am recalling correctly)

artanis_neravar:

LoneWanderer:

I believe Fallout Tactics involved the Brotherhood in Chicago (they mention something about the Chicago brotherhood in 3 if I am recalling correctly)

I think I do remember that from Fallout 3, never played tactics though I have heard of it. Here's an idea do a Fallout prequel during the war and experience how the world ended.

Ultratwinkie:

-snip-

I was actually referring to NV, but yeah basically.
perhaps they could make a stealth mechanic based on light levels and surface noise, you know... LIKE THE ONLY REAL STEALTH GAME "THIEF"!

Peter left the door wardrobe open, and Narnia got hit by a very precisly-aimed nuke. Your character is exploring the british countryside, and finds the wardrobe, which is somehow still there, because its magic. Fighting mutated dwarfs and evil tress would be awesome.

Make it possible to play as a Ghoul or Super Mutant as well as a human.

I'd like to see a BIG city. Even if that city takes up like 50% of the game world. And I'm talking a living city not the blasted to ruins kind, the kind of city that actually feels like itīs a "living" entity rather than just ten guys walking around. New vegas (the city not the game) was a huge dissapointment for me in this department. That place was no more an oasis of civilisation than that generic raider camp I just wiped out.

And as numerous people before me have noted, it's 200 years after the war show me some civilisation. I'd like to buy my food and my water from a merchant rather than rummaging through a supermarket that for some reason has not been looted yet like it's a year after the bombs fell. I want to see some vegatation, perhaps mutated vegetation to go with the mutated creatures. But still some green to break up all the brown desert.

Give me America: Third world edition. I want to see a region with a weak central government that struggles to keep the peace with warlords, bandits and general douchebaggery running rampant. And give me factions, factions that have real motives that you can agree with rather than Caesarīs "let's be the most evil bastards we can be" ideology. Give me a plot that revolves around plotting and infighting between these factions rather than finding some macguffin and beating some up and coming evil.

And show me some contrast, let me see the outlying countryside where people DO live like the bombs just fell, because they are piss poor and can afford nothing else. Show me the gang run and dangerous slums where the working class lives. And let me visit the walled community where the rich and influential sit and plot and live like the bombs hadn't even dropped.

I'd love to see Fallout take a step towards more satisfying endings, ie an ending that will actually effect the Fallout universe as a whole. Decisions should have serious implications on the storyline. We also need more grey situations, not Good, Evil decisions. As for gameplay, I love it. I understand that Fallout is always very glitchy on release but having never bought a Fallout game on release it doesn't bother me.

Anything that stops making America the centre of the universe will do. There's a whole world to play with out there-- Why not Australia somewhere on the border of a major city but with normal desert still in reach? I liked the Stalker games because they weren't in New York or some other US State---

ChupathingyX:
Wait, did you just say New Vegas lacked "greed and arrogance"?

...okay, ignoring that and moving on.

Personally, I would prefer the timeline to continue moving forward.

More post-post-apocalyptic re-building of civilisation, less beggars crawling around in the mud wondering what "agriculture" is.

More focus on society, politics, factions and highly influential people.

Basically...I want Obsidian to make it.
A guy can dream/

My sentiments exactly! Basically they sohuld let Obsidian make it! Also they should give them a decent engine aswell! After Bethsda has fixed the bugs out of it (they have to start doing that some time).

Personally I would like to see the ability to dual wield any combination of one handed weapons so that you could have say a knife in one hand and a revolver in another. Also I would like to see a feature where you can cretate your own faction and go to different towns and villages and convert them to your side.

Tadman:
Some kind of conquest mode or something similar. You could conquer a town and then rule it. Build new buildings, command the people to be your army and use them to conquer other settlements. It's kind of out of place for a Fallout game, but I'd love it either way.

This is a great Idea, it gives a better feeling of direct influence on a town/faction. Either fortify a settlement, or give your new raider buddies the weapons to... raid... it, and reap the rewards that way.

Personally, I wouldn't mind either a prequel to New Vegas, where we learn much more of the curriors past in a different setting, or a totally new environment, New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, hell even Leeds in England. Something a little more tightly packed in the middle with plenty or turf wars, surrounded by the more explorative (did I just make up a word) regions.

And yes, some kind of vehicle, even a push bike will do me nicely :)

Matthew94:
They should have vehicles (Tactics had them after all).

They should have more realistic settlements like in the originals with irrigated crops on farms and wells for water.

I would really like this, especially if they made fuel as hard to get as it was in Fallout 2.

As others have said I'd like to see a more robust faction system, and have the game deal more with the political intrigue between towns in a post-apocalyptic world. (Has anyone watched Jericho? Great example)

Start by really thinking through what a post-apocalyptic society would need to survive. Think about what life in such a society would be like, and then create the environment around that model. Think about the economics of subsistence/scavenger living, and think about the sustainability of survivor communities.

I think that's one thing that New Vegas did better than FO3 - presenting a society that actually made sense in terms of population, economics, technology, and so on. For example, places like Big Town are hard to believe in simply because their existence is so fragile. Also, the casualty rates of the Fallout games is way to high for a population that small.

So, all of these things have to be thought through before they start developing the setting.

As for the rest - I wouldn't mind more of the same, really. Maybe a little tighter gunplay in line with that one FO3 mod that added insta-kill headshots and the like. Obviously, engine tweaks to improve performance and graphics. But aside from that, more of the same is fine with me.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot -- more and better factions and factional rivalry. That goes for all Bethesda games.

Rain. It never seems to rain in the Fallout universe (in Vegas it made sense at least). How about acid rain that deals light radiation damage if you're caught in the elements. (Been asking for this for a while).

Remove fast travel, unless it makes sense (like say hitching a ride on a horse or something). Makes the game retardedly easy if I can just fast travel my way around.

Add meaning to the day night cycles beyond clarity.
Sorry I just played Dragon's Dogma and see a lot of missed potential in Bethesda's games...

Go ANYWHERE but in the U.S.

Let's see what happened in China!

s69-5:
Rain. It never seems to rain in the Fallout universe (in Vegas it made sense at least). How about acid rain that deals light radiation damage if you're caught in the elements. (Been asking for this for a while).

That actually sounds pretty cool

Remove fast travel, unless it makes sense (like say hitching a ride on a horse or something). Makes the game retardedly easy if I can just fast travel my way around.

Completely agree, fast travel takes a lot out of the game

Go ANYWHERE but in the U.S.

Let's see what happened in China!

There is no where else, everything is gone

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked