Two-person developer Sleepy Castle Studio has announced it will be headed to Kickstarter this fall for Flynt Buckler Wakes the Sleepy Castle, a gorgeous RPG with Paper Mario vibes up the wazoo. The game is targeting Nintendo Switch and PC via Steam with a tentative Q4 2023 release window, and a Flynt Buckler teaser trailer released last month showcases a mix of enticing visuals and characters, fun platforming, and action-packed turn-based combat.
The premise of the game is that a curse has brought to life the storybooks in the Sleepy Castle, and adventurer Flynt has to dive into each story to sort out the mess that’s been created. The tone will vary between each story, as “sweeping sci-fi” is juxtaposed with “noir murder mystery,” “Lovecraftian terrors,” and a villainous take on the Three Little Pigs. Here are more features to expect in Flynt Buckler Wakes the Sleepy Castle:
- 6 vast storybook worlds brimming with quests, treasures, and secrets
- A fun, fast-paced turn-based battle system that rewards experimentation and strategy
- A colorful cast of memorable characters that will help (and sometimes hinder) Flynt on his adventure
- Stories within stories: experience a charming and lively narrative where the rules are constantly changing
- A jazzy, big-band soundtrack that keeps the energy pumping throughout
The actual Paper Mario franchise has gone off in more of an “adventure” direction in recent years, with the RPG combat being downplayed to confusing effect at times. So it’s strangely up to indie developers to deliver the more traditional-RPG sorts of experiences that Paper Mario used to provide, but it seems the likes of Bug Fables and now Flynt Buckler Wakes the Sleepy Castle are up to the task. Watch out for the latter’s Kickstarter this fall.