Here are the Marvel movies and TV shows to watch before Secret Invasion in the MCU, ranked by how important to the story they are.

Marvel Movies and TV Shows to Watch Before Secret Invasion

Secret Invasion is out on Disney Plus, with Nick Fury dealing with a potentially apocalyptic Skrull plot. Given that the Skrulls can shapeshift, it’s bound to be mildly confusing, but it’ll be more so if this is the only Marvel Cinematic Universe show you’ve seen. So if you’re about to dive in, here are the Marvel movies and TV shows to watch before Secret Invasion in the MCU.

Recommended Videos

What MCU Movies & TV Shows You Should Watch Before Checking Out Secret Invasion

Unlike, say Loki, you don’t have to watch more than a few shows or movies to get Secret Invasion. But at the very least, I’d recommend you check out Captain Marvel, which adds the Skrulls to the MCU and takes place in the 1990s, before most other Marvel films. It likewise serves as an introduction to Nick Fury, before he became the complete badass he is today. You’ll also learn who Talos is and just why he and Fury are friends.

I’d further suggest watching the first Avengers movie, which features Fury in a leadership role. Then check out Captain America: The Winter Soldier to find out what happened to S.H.I.E.L.D. and why Fury’s no longer its director. Both these movies also feature Maria Hill, Fury’s second in command who turns up in Secret Invasion as well.

It’s less necessary, but if you want a peek into the kind of things S.H.I.E.L.D. dealt with, you can also check out the first season of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (but the show itself is largely non-canon these days). And both Captain America: Civil War and Black Panther feature Everett Ross, who figures into Secret Invasion episode 1. All of these are available on Disney Plus.

Finally, Spider-Man: Far from Home features a surprise in its end credits that will offer an important glimpse of Nick Fury’s recent activities.

So, I’d recommend that, before checking out Secret Invasion in the MCU, you watch these Marvel movies:

• Captain Marvel
  • The Avengers
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier

And if you’ve got the time, also watch these movies and one show:

• Captain America: Civil War
  • Black Panther
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 1
  • Spider-Man: Far from Home

If you wanted to know which Marvel movies and TV shows to watch before Secret Invasion, that’s your answer.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Dead Boy Detectives Builds on the Sandman Universe in a Brilliant Way
Dead Boy Detectives
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Are Prime Sentinels?
Bolivar Trask's Prime Sentinel form in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Is the OZT?
Rogue looking at screens with the OZT logo in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Related Content
Read Article Dead Boy Detectives Builds on the Sandman Universe in a Brilliant Way
Dead Boy Detectives
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Are Prime Sentinels?
Bolivar Trask's Prime Sentinel form in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Is the OZT?
Rogue looking at screens with the OZT logo in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Author
Chris McMullen
Chris McMullen is a freelance contributor at The Escapist and has been with the site since 2020. He returned to writing about games following several career changes, with his most recent stint lasting five-plus years. He hopes that, through his writing work, he settles the karmic debt he incurred by persuading his parents to buy a Mega CD. Outside of The Escapist, Chris covers news and more for GameSpew. He's also been published at such sites as VG247, Space, and more. His tastes run to horror, the post-apocalyptic, and beyond, though he'll tackle most things that aren't exclusively sports-based. At Escapist, he's covered such games as Infinite Craft, Lies of P, Starfield, and numerous other major titles.