Marvel meets Hip-Hop in these new upcoming variant covers.
Update: New images added 7-21-15
Original Story:Marvel has announced an upcoming line of Hip-Hop variant covers “inspired by some of the most iconic and well received hip-hop and rap albums of all time.” The covers have an October release, with even more coming later in the fall.
“For years, Marvel Comics and Hip-Hop culture have been engaged in an ongoing dialog,” says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso. “Beginning this October, we will shine a spotlight on the seamless relationship between those two unique forces in when we unveil the first of more than fifty variant covers, each of which pays tribute to an iconic album cover from the past 30 years that shaped pop-culture over the past three decades.”
The variants include:
- The Astonishing Ant-Man #1- HIP-HOP Variant by Mark Brooks (based on The Notorious B.I.G.’s Ready to Die)
- Doctor Strange #1- HIP-HOP Variant by Juan Doe (based on Dr Dre’s The Chronic)
- Howard the Duck #1- HIP-HOP Variant Juan Doe (Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version)
- Squadron Supreme #1- HIP-HOP Variant by Mike Del Mundo (based on Wu-Tang Clan’s Enter the 36 Chambers)
- The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #1- HIP-HOP Variant by Phil Noto (based on Tyler the Creator’s Wolf)
- Amazing Spider-Man #1- HIP-HOP Variant by Mike Del Mundo (based on A Tribe Called Quest’s Midnight Marauders)
- Sam Wilson, Captain America #1- HIP-HOP Variant by Mahmud Asrar (based on A$AP Rocky’s Long Live ASAP)
- Invincible Iron Man #1- HIP-HOP Variant by Brian Stelfreeze (based on 50 Cent’s Get Rich or Die Tryin’)
- Extraordinary X-Men #1- HIP-HOP Variant by Sanford Greene (based on De La Soul’s 3 Feet High and Rising)
- Ms. Marvel #1- HIP-HOP Variant by Jenny Frisson (based on Lauryn Hill’s The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill)
- …and more!