How do you feel about interracial marriages?
I'm all for them.
90.2% (406)
90.2% (406)
They can work, but it's difficult.
4.2% (19)
4.2% (19)
I'm against them.
3.8% (17)
3.8% (17)
Our marriage is interracial.
1.1% (5)
1.1% (5)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: How do you feel about interracial marriages?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Tanner The Monotone:

Mortai Gravesend:

Tanner The Monotone:
Socially and in the short term (my life time), I'm for them
Genetically, in the long run, I would be against them. If we don't want one type of human race, then we need to have some kind of selective breeding in the far future.

Why exactly should we care if races go away due to interracial marriages?

There would be trouble with genetic diseases like sickle cell. Plus there might be problems with birth defects.

Though, theses might be moot points, because by the time this happens we will probably be able to mess with our genetic code like it's plastic surgery.

This is actually the opposite of what would happen.

Population separation creates diversity between populations, but reduces diversity within populations. The vast majority of genetic diseases are recessive, requiring either heterozygous or affected-homozygous parens that both carry the defective allele and pass it on. In small populations the rate at which an allele goes to fixation through either Genetic Drift, the Island Effect, or Genetic Draft is multiple orders of magnitudes faster than with larger populations.

Two forces work to counter-act the homogeneity of genotypes in populations; mutations and immigration/emigration. Immigration counteracts fixation of deleterious alleles by simply injecting more alleles into the population, creating more heterozygosity. It doesn't actually take that much to maintain heterozygosity in a small-to-moderate population; just a few people immigrating per year.

Mutations are the random component of evolution and also counter-act fixation by changing alleles according to mechanisms which operate on pure chance. Natural Selection then acts on the new mutations and either deems them neutral, better, or worse. In the case of the latter, it's usually swept from the population quickly if it's significantly worse since the individuals the mutation occurred in do not reproduce.

The benefit of reducing heterozygosity between populations (done via immigration and emigration) - bringing the two populations closer, genetically speaking - is that it takes longer for the mechanisms which reduce genetic diversity (Draft/Drift/Selection) to act. The larger the number of interbreeding individuals (the population), the longer they will retain heterozygosity, and the less susceptible the population as a whole will be to deleterious mutations and they will be better able to adapt to unknown challenges placed on them by Selection since there's a wider variety of alleles (any of which could prove beneficial).

Sickle Cell Anemia - the specific condition you mention - is actually positively selected for in areas with high concentrations of mosquitoes and parasites. Heterozygotes for Sickle Cell have a significantly reduced chance of contracting Plasmodium vivax (Malaria) due to the way which the pathogen operates. Sickle Cell homozygotes are usually fatal very early on, so they do not reproduce. Therefor a person who has Sickle Cell Anemia and is capable of reproducing is almost always a Heterozygote, and unless they have sex with another Heterozygote (which is exceedingly rare in any population besides those in Africa - since we're talking about Interracial marriages here), the children would be - at worst - heterozygotes as well, with a pretty good chance of not carrying the allele at all.

Interracial marriages make very, very good evolutionary 'sense.' The more alleles there are in a species, the more obstacles that species can overcome. Humans, right now, aren't very diverse. A major bottlenecking event 30k-40k years ago reduced the Human population down to a few thousand, significantly reducing our diversity. Thanks to massive population explosion in the last hundred or so years, diversity is returning again.

This is, of course, assuming you prescribe to view the Human race as various "races" instead. The taxonomical definition of "race" is a species which contains phenotypically different individuals that can still interbreed and produce viable offspring. However, the usefulness of the term has been debated among taxonomists for decades. Modern genetic techniques and biochemical understanding all but eliminates the necessity - particularly since "race" can be incredibly misleading.

Vitiligo is a dermological condition where the melanocytes (which everybody has the same # of regardless of 'race') simply reduce their melanin production. The result is a very slow, but inevitable change from "black" to "caucasian":

If you were to categorize her based on "race" alone, you'd say she changed "race" somewhere in 4th or 5th grade. Because it's not a change in genotype - merely a change in phenotype - the term "race" here is completely useless.

In addition; because skin color isn't Mendelian and has several levels of Dominance, the children of interracial couples can literally be any color. The entire spectrum of humanity can be produced. More so, as long as there's ANY interracial history in your family within the last 4 to 6 generations, your kids could have an entirely different race from you if you meet up with another person with similar genetic history.

Because of these really glaring and obvious faults, "race" is pretty much out of use in taxonomy. It has its defenders, but genotyping has far exceeded any phenotyping in terms of usefulness and power.

So, yes, technically Humans do have varying "races" - but you're also using a word that's been eclipsed by better understanding and mountains of knowledge to back up that understanding.

If you want even more proof that interracial marriage is a good thing, consider these (scientifically approved) ponderings:

-Women near their menstruation will prefer the smell (and phenotypic features) of men who do NOT share Major Histocompatibility Complex (also called MHC or HLA) alleles (the alleles which define the adaptability of your immune system) in order to produce offspring with more novel MHC alleles who will probably be better capable of dealing with current pathogens. It's hard to get more opposing MHC alleles than going interracial.

-Women who are perceived to be more attractive than their male counterparts often describe themselves as "happier" in their marriage than those who consider themselves 'as' attractive or 'less' attractive. This is NOT to say that interracial women are more always attractive, but rather that the different ideologies governing attraction between ethnic groups may have a positive affect on happiness inside a relationship since attraction can significantly impact happiness while inside a marriage (though there's no study to confirm this).

I think I've said my piece. Full disclosure: I actually dig black/mixed/Latina chicks a lot more than I dig white chicks (and I'm Scottish/Russian). No, it's not a fetish. I don't idealize stereotypes concerning black women or mixed women. I simply find them more attractive for reasons I can't fully explain.

Kudos.

SciMal:
-s-

Congratulations, you've got me interested in genetics now.

SciMal:
-s-

Oh, and I also like the Latinos too. The tan skin, black flowing hair and nice waist with the whole festive culture is what does it for me.

Shotgun Guy:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
Look, heres the thing about interracial marriages and relationships in general - lets say a white man sees a white woman with a black man. 90% of the time its going to make him feel uncomfortable and jealous. (This is scientifically proven, by the way, so argue with the people that do these studies before you come call me a nazi again for being realistic.)

I suspect thats the reason you have anyone against them. I cant think of one good, proper, rational reason. Must be some deep seated instinct.

If you want to hear the thoughts of someone who is against them, you are probably better off on other websites. If anyone here actually admits to be against them, he will be banned, his post will be deleted and a mob will burn his house down.

This is a good point, I'm definitely for them in theory but I could see myself being jealous of any man with a beautiful woman, would I be more jealous if it was a black man? Maybe, deep down, some kind of strange pettiness might come to the surface, if it did happen I'd be ashamed of myself for it but I won't ignore the fact that it is possible.

That isn't the only reason someone would be against them though, it's just the only logical reason. Lets not forget good old fashion racism.

EDIT: and before I even looked I knew your forum health meter would be in bad shape, haha. Good luck buddy.

I dunno, it was actually in worse shape before, but I havent broken the rules in about 8 months so its dropped and my account should be completely healthy in 4 months or so. So yeah. Suck it bitches. Im here to stay.

Joking aside, of course theres good old fashioned racism too. Its all woven together like one big spiders nest.

Tanner The Monotone:
Oh, and I also like the Latinos too. The tan skin, black flowing hair and nice waist with the whole festive culture is what does it for me.

I mean you no offense, but remember that 'not fetishizing stereotypes' thing I talked about?

You may want to look into that. I'm not saying you do, but this put up a small red flag. Latino culture is a lot more than festivals - it's filled with a lot of misogyny, religion, and different convictions to go along with the good bits.

Be careful. The most disservice you'll ever do to another person you're attracted to is appreciating/depreciating them for who you want them to be instead of who they are.

CODE-D:
Marriage, nothing.
A woman having sex with a guy from another race because hes better at sex because of his race, that kinda grinds my gears.

There's been several occasions when I've approached a girl at a nightclub to dance and been met with "Sorry, I don't like white boys". Once my friend/roommate (who is black) overheard this and got pissed off at the girl haha. Of course that's why I tend to stay the heck out of clubs to begin with; not really my scene.

SciMal:

Tanner The Monotone:

I mean you no offense, but remember that 'not fetishizing stereotypes' thing I talked about?

You may want to look into that. I'm not saying you do, but this put up a small red flag. Latino culture is a lot more than festivals - it's filled with a lot of misogyny, religion, and different convictions to go along with the good bits.

Be careful. The most disservice you'll ever do to another person you're attracted to is appreciating/depreciating them for who you want them to be instead of who they are.

Using no stereotypes, I don't prefer one race to the other. It's differences in the races that would make me prefer one to the other. If I can't group characteristics, whether sexual or cultural, to one group, how am I supposed to prefer one to the other?

I was also mostly just saying that I like festivals that happen in Latin America.

brandon237:
-snip-

Forget it, it's appears you don't seem to understand what I'm getting at. I don't have the energy to explain further.

I sorry, if this come across as rude, but I had a long but ultimately fruitless "conversion" (it's not really a "discussion" when the other party has already made up their mind and is more interested in pushing his/her agenda than discussing the points of the topic) in this very thread - not saying you are like that "brick wall", but you currently have not gotten it yet so ... I'm just tired. LOL

I'm an interracial child so any relationship I'm in is interracial my wife is white so that makes things funny to me trying to explain my halfculture lifstyle. One thing I've learned is that everyone is racist. The fact we try to hide that fact makes things worst. It dosent matter let it go and everthing else will follow. I'm not saying embrace those racist thoughts and I'm not saying its natural cause its not. Its thousands of years of history were people segregated themselves and it will take hundreds of years to change that mind set. People just need to stop worrying about wether or not they are being racist and just being just better period.
It does work any race can mix and be happy we just need to open about different cultures and somehow make are own. I will never be full mexican nor will i ever be full white. I am what I am and if you dont like how it is the relationship wont work its not racist its just prefence.

Tanner The Monotone:

Using no stereotypes, I don't prefer one race to the other.

Then be very, very careful. Stereotypes are simplifications our brains instigate in order to produce basal expectations. They are superficial in every sense, and very rarely apply on a personal level. I have watched men get dumped (deservedly so) for basing their attraction on stereotypes. It happens constantly with the Asian women here; men care more that the women are Asian (because they are attracted to Asian women - not even Korean/Japanese/Vietnamese etc. specifically, which all have very different cultures and phenotypes) than their personalities.

It's differences in the races that would make me prefer one to the other. If I can't group characteristics, whether sexual or cultural, to one group, how am I supposed to prefer one to the other?

Preferences due to physical characteristics is fine. Some guys like Redheads more than Brunettes, or BBWs over normal weight. That's fine; women can't control their phenotype (weight being an exception) and you're attracted to them for what they are - not what you expect them to be. Being attracted to somebody because you expect them to act like "X" is very harmful to any future relationship. Not all Latinas/Black women are into anal or are "fiesty." Not all Asian women are submissive or into anime. Not all Europeans (almost as bad as "Asian") are "sexually Liberal."

Get rid of or modify your stereotypes, and enjoy people for who they are.

I was also mostly just saying that I like festivals that happen in Latin America.

Cool. Liking a girl because she celebrates Cinquo de Mayo? Not cool.

Yes, preconceptions are hard to change, but it is a huge service to yourself and any potential mate.

I'm totally against them. Anyone who was stupid enough to be born to parents who aren't white deserve all the discrimination they get.

Without sarcasm?

Well, what do you think?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked