The Big Bang Theory?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

ElPatron:

Sean951:
snip

If you had played Call of Duty, Battlefield and some other FPS, and then went back to HL2, it would not do anything for you. I played HL2 when it came out so I consider it a very good game.

However, if a reviewer were to analyze the game today, there is a chance it wouldn't get perfect scores no matter how much said reviewer tried.

Basically what you saw on HIMYM and TBBT "spoiled" you, since all modern sitcoms are some kind of derivative from Seinfeld.

Except I tried Seinfeld loooong before that.

I also still consider Perfect Dark and BF1942 my favorite shooters, though it is hard to use an N64 controller now that I'm used to 2 joy sticks or a Wii-mote.

Sean951:
Except I tried Seinfeld loooong before that.

It's fine, I know that Seinfeld can't please everyone. I only started paying attention to it after watching Curb Your Enthusiasm. I became curious about Larry David's work and bought a book about philosophy that was centered around Seinfeld characters.

I think Curb Your Enthusiasm might be more "watchable" than Seinfeld nowadays.

Is the point of sitcoms to even relate to the characters? No sitcom ever I've watched I related to any of its characters.

TBBT characters are unidimensional and some jokes are predictable, the laugh track is way overused, but it still manages to be funny, it's way better than HIMYM which is getting worse with each season. Actually it's the best sitcom airing today. Though, I hate Amy, a lot, I wish she died.

btw I never watched Star Trek and I find Stan Lee and Star Wars really overrated.

Friends are ok, but the romance between Ross and Rachel was really boring. The show was about Chandler and Joey for me.
Seinfield is overrated, maybe it's for older generations than me, but the protagonist wasn't that funny, I didn't like Elaine either, Kramer and George were the best, but George could become annoying sometimes.

I'm not the biggest fan of the show. The laugh track came in every few fucking seconds after the characters said something, as if it was supposed to be funny. And I don't mean like a few people in the audience chuckling, I'm talking about the same constant full on laughter as if what the character said was the funniest thing on the planet. It was kinda annoying. Plus, i just don't really like the characters in anyway.

So yeah, not big fan.

I still think Malcom in the Middle was the best sitcom in America...that's not saying much, is it?

I used to enjoy watching it however in this country it's taken over from Friend's as being the go to programme when there a gap in the scheduale and it has now got to the point where I am sick of the sight of it simply because its always on. I starting to feel alot of sympathy for Friend's fans and I hated that show right from the start.

Big bang theory? Never watched it (mainly because I despise laugh tracks with every fibre of my being... I DON'T NEED TO BE TOLD WHEN TO LAUGH, OK?). The way I see it, a laugh track would completely ruin a show that makes frequent geeky pop culture jokes. How? A character makes an obscure geek joke. Laugh track plays. People realize its supposed to be a joke and proceed to laugh at it and quote it with having absolutely no clue what its from.

Anyway, I've heard a lot of people talk about it, and most of them didn't seem to be the type who would really appreciate geeky references. Also, from what I've seen of the show, it seems very stereotypical. I actually was thinking about giving the show a chance because I thought that tons of geeks loved it, but reading through this thread has changed my mind.

Dryk:
And they fact that when Sheldon paused Super Mario 64 on his N64 emulator it made the correct paused sound effect. Shit like that needs to happen on TV more often <.<

I also believe it played the main castle theme whenever he wasn't paused.

I think it's really funny. I like the references to nerd culture.

I only recently started watching it, but I like it. I'm not a sitcom person by any means (the last one I liked was Seinfeld) but I like the humour in this show. Don't ask me why, I just find it funny.

Fragmented_Faith:
I cannot stand it- at first it was funny but like scrubs it has not held up at all under thought or scrutiny. Case in point- Penny and Leonard.

Penny I think is supposed to make you laugh because she's a little "out there" or just because of the "lol its a pretty girls with NERDS!" but I honestly don't find anything amusing about a person in stark denial about there failed goal in life, with a severe temper, rampant idiocy (really nobody should be that stupid)who frequently mooches off another person because "lol! I spent all my money on pretty things so now I can't pay the mean power company who cut me off" the combination of stupid, angry and "girl logic" is what really gets me

Leonard on the other hand is simply put (forgive the 4chan term) a Beatafag: a hopeless, obsessive worthless little shit of a person. The early episodes where he slavishly agrees and volunteers for more or less anything penny so much as mentions in passing where almost insufferable. His entire little world revolves around her and it sickens me- its not even love. She is just "pretty" and didn't laugh him down when they met so he formed an instant and severe infatuation. In short he is everything you would expect from a person like him...and you cannot help but think "yep a lot of your problems are your own Fucking Fault!"

granted it can be funny- I've started to care about bit characters more while the L&P dance is just old

Don't you dare say anything bad about Scrubs, it's the best show ever created. It managed to breakthough to the US audience (who seems to not able to know/or is too dumb to know when to laugh) without a damn laugh track.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

TheBobmus:
As I said to @SmashLovesTitanQuest in another thread, there's a reason Jim Parsons (Sheldon) wins Emmys for his acting - it's a brilliant piece of characterisation that went above and beyond what the producers had intended.

And as I said before, fuck the Emmys and fuck Jim Parsons.

Didn't you say you were watching the German dubbed version? The dub removes pretty much any and all nuances from Sheldon's voice, which really is the comedic high point of the show.

TheNaut131:
I'm not the biggest fan of the show. The laugh track came in every few fucking seconds after the characters said something, as if it was supposed to be funny. And I don't mean like a few people in the audience chuckling, I'm talking about the same constant full on laughter as if what the character said was the funniest thing on the planet. It was kinda annoying. Plus, i just don't really like the characters in anyway.

So yeah, not big fan.

I still think Malcom in the Middle was the best sitcom in America...that's not saying much, is it?

Malcolm in the Middle was amazing when I was younger, but I found it got boring after baby Jamie came along.

I really like Big Bang Theory, easily one of my favourite shows. However, I wasn't a fan of the third season. We'd waited for 2 seasons for Leonard and Penny to get together, then it happened...and then the series turned into more of a comedy about a nerd and a hot girl relationship and didn't put as much emphasis on the rest of the group, which isn't what Big Bang Theory is. Leonard and Penny splitting up was a good thing to happen to the show, and Amy and Bernadette are pretty decent characters (Amy becomes a bit more human which I liked, but Bernadette just started to be a personification of Howard's mother), but series 5 has started to partner up everybody except for Raj. If they all have partners except for Raj, it will turn into 'Oh, look at those nerds with girlfriends and the little Asian dude sitting in the corner on his own without a girlfriend, let's poke fun at him!'. That's what the show will turn in to.

It will be like Two and a Half Men's constant abuse of Alan. It's been going on for 9 seasons now, and I still find it more harsh than funny. Ever since Charlie Sheen has left I have found it more entertaining, however.

Kavok:
I learned that this show had not been canceled, pretty far from it it would seem. Suddenly EVERY person I know is watching it. Most of them even thought it was even a new show! What happened? How did this ting drop off the face of the earth for years (at least in my experience) then suddenly resurface with such a huge fan base that (up until now) I have never heard from?

I've got two words for you: TV's Blossom.

Amy Farrah Fowler, Sheldon's "not my girlfriend" is played by Mayim Bialik, who also played TV's Blossom.

Everyone knows that Blossom is fucking awesome. Thus her casting has made the show far more awesome.

Kermi:
, the laugh track is overused,

yea bout the laughing track thing, I watched a making off special on TV and they have an actual audience, its just they edit the audience best laugh to the joke in for all the different angles making it seem like a laughing track.

OT: I watched the show since it began, I like it and I find that it for the most part it isn't mean about nerd culture but it just uses exaggerations of the common(Sheldon and Leonard) and stereotypical(howard and rash) personalities found in nerd culture, in the same way that any sitcom those for any kind of person. I like the jokes and characters aswell.

Catfood220:
I quite like the show, but then it is repeated over and over and over again on Channel 4 and E4...its on now in the background as I write this.

Now, I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is about 2 Broke Girls that is supposed to be so funny. That truely is a pathetic comedy and yet its supposed to America's biggest new comedy.

It's because they lost the rights to show friends endlessly to comedy central.

I however hate the show. It is awful and tremendously insulting to me.

TheNaut131:

So yeah, not big fan.

I LOVED Malcolm in the Middle. Didn't have a stupid laugh-track and didn't have the, perhaps even more annoying, musical beats from Scrubs. It was just funny with brilliant relate-able characters. It maybe lasted a bit too long but virtually every sitcom is guilty of that.

KingHodor:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

TheBobmus:
As I said to @SmashLovesTitanQuest in another thread, there's a reason Jim Parsons (Sheldon) wins Emmys for his acting - it's a brilliant piece of characterisation that went above and beyond what the producers had intended.

Didn't you say you were watching the German dubbed version? The dub removes pretty much any and all nuances from Sheldon's voice, which really is the comedic high point of the show.

I've watched both. Obviously the dub is on German TV, so thats what I heard first and heard for the majority of the time. A friend of mine owns a season box set with numerous different languages, so I lent it from him just because I wanted to know how their "real" voices are.

The English original is superior but I'm just so damn used to the German one, cant move on... :P

Probably my least favorite show on TV. Boring, predictable and cringe worthy.

Any show that has a laugh track is a automatic "no good" for me.

Kermi:
Big Bang Theory has always been going strong, it just seemed to be unpopular because it got a lot of hate. It has occasionaly inaccuracies, the laugh track is overused, and it's simply just not all that plausible - so the nerds the show was meant to appeal to have shunned it and it's bred a subculture of people who think being nerdy is cool now so they wear stupid glasses and dorky clothes, co-opting an aesthetic and lifestyle that real geeks and nerds suffered with for decades before it suddenly became mainstream.

We earned the right to be nerdy. We fought for that. Now hipsters are taking it away while at the same time failing to relate to us. Many people blame shows like Big Bang for this.

Although I do fully agree with you, one thing: They don't use a laugh track. It's a live audience.

Otherwise, I do on occasion enjoy it. The 'on occasion' being the key phrase.

Ilikemilkshake:
I find it funnier than Two and a Half Men at least but it still has the same problem as most comedies with laugh tracks, the really forced jokes and of course the laugh track.

You too: It's a live audience, not a laugh track.

Kavok:
So here is a show I had seen commercials for when it first premiered (what, like 6 years ago?) I didn't like the show from the episodes I had seen and thusly forgot about it. I never heard anyone ever talk about it and in fact I had just assumed it bombed and got canceled. Then, the past 2 or so months happened...

I learned that this show had not been canceled, pretty far from it it would seem. Suddenly EVERY person I know is watching it. Most of them even thought it was even a new show! What happened? How did this ting drop off the face of the earth for years (at least in my experience) then suddenly resurface with such a huge fan base that (up until now) I have never heard from?

Now I see posters for it in Walmart, more and more jokes/reference from/to it on the interwebz, (and as I mentioned before) everyone I know seems to be a fan of it. Anyone else get this feeling that it just came back outa nowhere!?!? Anyone know why? And what do you guys think of the show?

I personally don't see the magic that everyone else seems to be getting. All I saw in the few episodes I watched was an extreme exaggeration of nerd/geek culture centered around characters representing the most stereotypical nerd/geek roles I have ever seen. What about you guys?

I just happen to hate the kind of guys portrayed in that show, so seeing them humiliated every week is extremely cathartic for me. University were the worst years of my life.

It's awful. It is literally one of the worst shows I have seen. I cannot comprehend how people enjoy it.

I got into it during season three and I've been a religious viewer ever since. It never went anywhere.
It's actually the most popular TV show in Canada, has been for about two years.

I have no idea how it became so popular but now that I've been practically forced to watch it I actually really enjoy it.

I seriously used to hate it just because of the nerdy/science stuff being so 'in your face' but once I watched a few episodes I started to love everything else about it. All the characters I find funny (apart from Leonard) and the jokes are delivered perfectly.

I have to admit though, the later series have fell a bit flat as the writing has begun to fall in to 'here's a silly character, LAUGH AT IT' as opposed to cleverly written jokes that don't seem too contrived. But it's still funny enough to get a lot of laughs out of, which is kind of why I watch sitcoms in the first place.

It was probably one of those marketing gags "make it popular or we can it", so then they went out of their way to plaster it everywhere and reheat the hype.

But it was time to stop it after season 2, season one had the most charm but then like most shows it get that strange transition where the creators get a huge contract but noone has any idea how to continue so they just start extending old gags.
Or maybe it's a "we will give you a huge contract, but you will commit to some changes..." sort of deal, and the product pushing in this bitch is one of the worst I've seen in years.

I don't get why you guys around here hate it so much. "It's not intelligent in the slightest" "Stupid and dumb" I don't think I've seen a sitcom that isn't stupid. It's hardly Family Guy that solely relies on fart jokes(I like family guy). I can see why it's popular to the general TV viewer, 'hipsters' like it so they can call themselves nerds because they like the show. They'll get bored eventually because it will get too popular. I don't think I've seen an episode where I didn't laugh at all, I think it's great you can call me moron if you like I don't care. Maybe you hate it because it's popular?

A thing I've noticed is people say that Sheldon has Aspergers, I don't think he does. Reminds me of all those threads that people say half the people on the internet self diagnose it. Another reason I don't think he has it is because he says quite a bit "I'm not crazy, my mother had me tested"

Awesome show. Sheldon's awesome. The characters are quite likable with the exception of Leonard, he's too whiny. Maybe I'm one of these morons that like shows such as Two and A Half Men, I am not exactly a nerd so maybe that's why I find it funny.

Some of the jokes are funny because they're really shit jokes.

Da Orky Man:

Kermi:
Big Bang Theory has always been going strong, it just seemed to be unpopular because it got a lot of hate. It has occasionaly inaccuracies, the laugh track is overused, and it's simply just not all that plausible - so the nerds the show was meant to appeal to have shunned it and it's bred a subculture of people who think being nerdy is cool now so they wear stupid glasses and dorky clothes, co-opting an aesthetic and lifestyle that real geeks and nerds suffered with for decades before it suddenly became mainstream.

We earned the right to be nerdy. We fought for that. Now hipsters are taking it away while at the same time failing to relate to us. Many people blame shows like Big Bang for this.

Although I do fully agree with you, one thing: They don't use a laugh track. It's a live audience.

Otherwise, I do on occasion enjoy it. The 'on occasion' being the key phrase.

Ilikemilkshake:
I find it funnier than Two and a Half Men at least but it still has the same problem as most comedies with laugh tracks, the really forced jokes and of course the laugh track.

You too: It's a live audience, not a laugh track.

Well then that audience is VERY easily entertained because at least a third of the jokes shouldn't evoke laughter and most others aren't THAT funny.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

KingHodor:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I've watched both. Obviously the dub is on German TV, so thats what I heard first and heard for the majority of the time. A friend of mine owns a season box set with numerous different languages, so I lent it from him just because I wanted to know how their "real" voices are.

The English original is superior but I'm just so damn used to the German one, cant move on... :P

It took me more than a season to warm up to TBBT. That was because I felt insulted that they felt the need to ruin the joke of having Sheldon order a "Virgin Cuba Libre" when he couldn't get a diet coke by explaining it slowly and in detail for even the dumbest of viewers.

So getting over Sheldon's completely uninspired dubbed voice will probably require some furious rewatching of Jim Parson's brilliant original performances.

Then again, TBBT's German dub is still a godsend compared to that of "Community".

Didn't find it funny, but with most shows I would just forget about it. Unfortunately friends will not shup the fuck up about it being awesome and that I'm not nerdy enough to get it. *Sigh* If only they knew how much time I spent on the internet/games.

KingHodor:
snip

By the way - and this is COMPLETELY off topic - did you get your user name from Hodor from GOT/ASOIAF?

BBT is an ironic homage to silly 80's nerd stereotypes that half the audience doesn't realize is ironic. That's why I enjoy it, but kind of hate myself for it.

I hate contrived sitcoms, like this one. Since Seinfeld went off the air, good sitcoms do not exist anymore because IMO Seinfeld nuked the playing field. Sorry, but its true. Everything else feels like the same formulaic shit thats been put out since the 70's/80's. BBT is just more of the same no matter how much "nerd culture" they put in it. Its still processed, canned pop trash trying to emulate a culture that it doesn't "get".

I like it. I don't think it's particularly shit TV, especially as most of the science they sometimes refer to is (To the best of my AS-Level knowledge) correct.

Sure, sometimes the plots can be a bit guessable or "Nerds wouldn't do that" kind of thing, but still.

To all of you that say it's shit because... it is - that's not a valid argument. Can I have some proper critiscism please? I enjoy it!

I think Chuck Lorres Shows, be it Two and a half man or Big Bang Theory are about as generic as sitcoms can be. The characters are generic, the plotlines are generic, the jokes are generic. It's probably some kind of feat to come up with something that bland. I don't find it offensive like some people do. While i'm probably what you'd call a nerd i don't have a lot of love for nerd culture. I mean, it's just not like i'm proud enough of being bad with women, liking obscure media and having a bad fashion sense to feel offended when someone makes fun of those things. Even when he's not very good at it.

I must be in the minority here by saying that I really like the Big Bang Theory! Granted some of the newer episodes anren't as good as the old ones but its still enjoyable and alot more funny than alot of the crap out there! Especially on American TV! I think the character of Sheldon is brilliantly portrayed and in my & my housemates opinion is a new incarnation of Niles from Frasier! Leonard & Penny are definately the weekest charaters! The Raj & Howard combo is always funny!

No idea what happened to you. I heard of it when it first started, and it never left my radar. People kept talking about it all the way through high school (partly because my Chemistry teach is a Dutch version of Sheldon), and then it exploded in popularity around here shortly after leaving high school.

I guess it's OK. I refuse to watch it on principal because people kept telling me that I would be able to "sympathize" with it.

I don't know how you managed to avoid it for so long, it's been fairly persistent throughout it's run.

As for all the hate it seems to get online, I don't understand that either. Personally, I think it's hilarious (at least the first three seasons were, recently the show seems to be going downhill into a self-aware parody of itself). Someone's going to have to explain to me just what they hate about it so much.

As someone who thinks the early series were brilliant, and also hates most attempts at sitcoms and comedy shows in general, I'd be interested to know what good television I've missed out on.

Black Adder
Bottom
Young Ones
Black Books
Father Ted

Just to name a few,

as for this topic, wow if there were any other way to pull the 'we hate it because it is popular' crowd out of the woodwork then this topic is it. For the record I like TBBT, the shows I listed above blow it out of the water in just about every way but it's still a decent enough show on it's own merits, considering it's American.

Edit

how the hell could I forget Red Dwarf and better yet the new season is just round the corner.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked