Who are you to your friends and fellow Escapees?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The idea of self-perception has been floating around in my head for a while now. How accurate are we in perceiving how others see us? I imagine accurately determining the assessments of others is something of a skill in and of itself.

So, as a byproduct of that little perplexity, the idea for this thread popped into my mind: how do you think your main group of friends see you? What do you think are your defining traits in their minds? Do they really like you? Do they know you well? You can either use general terms, e.g., the quiet one, the funny one, the angry one, etc., or more specific descriptors.

If you don't have a "main group of friends" or you think all your friends see you differently, then feel free to try and describe the feelings of those people closest to you (even if it's only acquaintances). We're speaking strictly of people outside your family here. Try and avoid using a significant other.

As a bonus, try and describe how your fellow Escapees might see you (if you think many of them would recognize you at all).

As something of a template answer: I'm guessing the few who recognize me probably view me as a fairly dumb to competently intelligent nuisance, and maybe one or two of you consider me to be tolerable. I suppose I might also sometimes be seen as needlessly inflammatory and cocky.

In my group of friends I'm the highly artistic one who is frequently funny as well as fairly amiable, though probably somewhat forgettable and a poor overall conversationalist. I'm also the least nerdy nerd of the group (nerdy being defined as highly versed in various esoteric and geeky subjects). I also get along better with girls than guys and I suppose can occasionally come off as gay despite not exhibiting any of "standard trappings" of a gay guy (I'm just as baffled by that one as you might be, so don't ask me to expound on why).

I realize the conditions of the OP are a bit vague, but feel free to interpret the question however you see fit and answer accordingly. This isn't for a paper or anything.

The one who writes a lot of movie reviews. That, or the mod. Maybe a mixture of both?

Oh, and the one who mentions Scorpion King 3 a lot. Like I just did here. Yeah...

In my group of friends I'm seen as the snarky sarcastic one.

Apparently, I'm also know for my love of alcohol even though they've never seen me drunk, but typically looking in the fridge to see if there's any beer, or good liquor on the shelf.

Here?

I haven't a clue, someone would have to tell me since I don't think I'm all that well known here. I'm just someone here that makes snarky and sometimes ranty comments.

Marter:
The one who writes a lot of movie reviews. That, or the mod. Maybe a mixture of both?

Oh, and the one who mentions Scorpion King 3 a lot. Like I just did here. Yeah...

I had noticed those SK3 references (along with your avatar). The way you talk about it, I can only assume it's on par with either Shawshank Redemption or The Room (that is, amazingly good or awesomely bad).

I don't usually think about myself in this manner, because I want my friends to see what kind of person I am rather then me tell them 'im this way!' but based on those responses, I'm the person who will always listen, never judge and always be there for you with a smile. :)

P.S. I'm also the one who watched SK3 and thought it was awe-sum!

Aylaine:
I don't usually think about myself in this manner, because I want my friends to see what kind of person I am rather then me tell them 'im this way!' but based on those responses, I'm the person who will always listen, never judge and always be there for you with a smile. :)

P.S. I'm also the one who watched SK3 and thought it was awe-sum!

I think that's a good general approach to take. I can't imagine spending all my time concerned about what my friends think I should be. I just think that's how they probably see me. It sounds like your friends hold you in pretty high regard. :)

I guess I have to watch SK3 now.

Who am I? I am Jean Valjean!

Amongst my friends who know each other and do stuff together... well even amongst them it varies from friend to friend I think. Though there may be a consensus that I'm generally an evil genius in games and am not to be trusted for too long >__>

On the Escapist? Hmm. Someone quite argumentative would probably be a general opinion. Know some people have a more positive opinion of me, and others a much more negative one. Not quite sure on specifics, though I have a bit of a general idea of who has a more positive view vs those with a more negative. Though I suppose I'm not quite sure what specifically people see about me as positive or negative.

Mortai Gravesend:

Amongst my friends who know each other and do stuff together... well even amongst them it varies from friend to friend I think. Though there may be a consensus that I'm generally an evil genius in games and am not to be trusted for too long >__>

On the Escapist? Hmm. Someone quite argumentative would probably be a general opinion. Know some people have a more positive opinion of me, and others a much more negative one. Not quite sure on specifics, though I have a bit of a general idea of who has a more positive view vs those with a more negative. Though I suppose I'm not quite sure what specifically people see about me as positive or negative.

What exactly is your new avatar is from? I've been curious since you changed it. Also, I think I've specifically noticed that you have a penchant for requesting that others cite sources on points you contest.

axlryder:

Mortai Gravesend:

What exactly is your new avatar is from? I'v been curious since you changed it. Also, I think I've specifically noticed that you have a penchant for requesting that others cite sources on points you contest.

It's from the webcomic Darken. Finished already and person who made it is already working on another one.

And I picked that habit up from my old forum haunt... XP

No idea how people would see me on here. I assume from the name they would think I am into drugs which is a safe assumption to make, probably also a drinker to some degree. Though in general I let people think what they want of me and don't really try to change that unless its something horrible, but haven't come across that yet. Likeable enough I guess.

Mortai Gravesend:

axlryder:

Mortai Gravesend:

What exactly is your new avatar is from? I'v been curious since you changed it. Also, I think I've specifically noticed that you have a penchant for requesting that others cite sources on points you contest.

It's from the webcomic Darken. Finished already and person who made it is already working on another one.

Haha, it's always a bit funny because the conversation usually goes fairly predictably from that point forward. You've got a pretty good "baseless argument" detect-o-meter.

axlryder:

Mortai Gravesend:

axlryder:

Haha, it's always a bit funny because the conversation usually goes fairly predictably from that point forward. You've got a pretty good "baseless argument" detect-o-meter.

It does kind of, but if I find what someone says questionable I'm not sure what else I would say. It isn't necessarily easy to disprove things people come up with that are baseless since it's not like people tend to set out to create evidence against things unless there was a reason to believe them in the first place... And I tend to think the burden is on them since if they think it's true and say it, they really should have a decent reason for it.

Mortai Gravesend:

axlryder:

Mortai Gravesend:

It does kind of, but if I find what someone says questionable I'm not sure what else I would say. It isn't necessarily easy to disprove things people come up with that are baseless since it's not like people tend to set out to create evidence against things unless there was a reason to believe them in the first place... And I tend to think the burden is on them since if they think it's true and say it, they really should have a decent reason for it.

Yeah, true. I just notice a lot of people tend to set out to try and disprove someone's assertion without even asking for proof of its validity. I just think it's kind of funny when people get all defensive or angry when asked for basic evidence and then go straight for the circular logic or ad hominems. Though, what that says about me I'm not sure.

hmmm....well I think most people who knew me in real life would think Ive disapeared off the planet...

....yeah

as for escapist I'd say "generally" positive I guess

though when it comes to Mass Effect my wolverine claws come out....

Everyone here is either confused or doesn't know two people use this account.

This is the original owner speaking here, and the only person I can really call a proper friend here is erttheking. I don't know how he views me, maybe just the person who is really good at organizing things, I might have to ask him though.

I don't have any friends, and how other Escapees (how recognize me) see me, I wouldn't know. Maybe just as "that guy who is occasionally there".

Well, in real life I guess I come off as a bit forward and I talk a bit too much (when I am in the mood for doing so).

My friends tell me I am multi-layered, intelligent and knowledgeable about a variety of subjects. I do take that with a pinch salt, though (better not let that go to my head).

On the Escapist I am pretty much a nobody. No one pays me much heed, and frankly, it suits me fine.

Aerosteam 1908:

Why have you never mentioned this?

OP: I don't know how people would see me here. I don't think that many people would recognize me.
Maybe just as the user who had the dancing Weeping Angel's avatar?

As for my real-life group of friends, I don't think any of us have a specific role or singular defining trait.

The cynical one who's no fun in real life but is hilariously funny when safely hiding behind the shield of the internet.

No idea how other people see me. Probably as argumentative and sarcastic.

In real life they definitely see me as argumentative and sarcastic. however, I don't really have a group of friends anymore. I had one back home, but then I moved to Belfast, everyone at home drifted apart and I haven't formed many friendships here yet.

Colour-Scientist:

Aerosteam 1908:

Why have you never mentioned this?

They have.

Aerosteam 1908:

See, I knew.

And I of course know both of you. One of you is the awesome leader of an awesome group filled with awesome people, the other is that person with the Rainbow Dash avatar who's pretty cool.

I'm not sure how other people see me really :D
I don't really like to make assumptions either.

I suppose around here, I'm known for liking Okami and derailing threads (even though I don't derail them any more than anyone else).

To my friends in real life, I'm the comic relief :D

My group of friends doesn't exist anymore.
I only really have two friends left who I talk to regularly after graduating collage.
One is my boyfriend and one is my best friend. They both see me as a cynical but down to earth person.

-----------
As for how people see me on this website?
I don't know, out of the few people who would even recognize me,
maybe I'm just somebody who draws.

To my friends? I guess I'm the geek. I'm the quiet one until you get me talking about a subject I can discuss, then I'm the loud one. I can be a burden sometimes, but I'm dependable. You know, now that I think about it I'm like the team dog, only, you know, human.

Here on the Escapist? I'm probably just some random idiot who matters to probably nobody.

To my friends, I'm the ridiculously sarcastic, dark humoured, funny one.

On here, I'm probably only recognised by the Troy avatar. Perhaps also for my love of Community, House and Arrested Development.

Mortai Gravesend:

You're the voice of reason in controversial threads.

As for me, I only have two friends in real life and they know me quite well, so I doubt they would shoehorn my entire personality into something so simplistic as the "x" one.

I don't think I'm well known enough on the Escapist for anyone to really notice me. Maybe the one who has a penchant for feeling sorry for themselves.

I really don't know

I have taco avatars... Does that count?

I'd hope most of the people I interact with come away with a positive image of me.
Unfortunately, I don't post that much anymore, so anything more than that vague idea is a stretch for anybody who doesn't remember me from when I was an overly active poster.
Back when I did post frequently, I was a derailer. And forum game addict.
Holy shit, that was two-three years ago.
*drifts off into memories*

Neonbob:
I'd hope most of the people I interact with come away with a positive image of me.
Unfortunately, I don't post that much anymore, so anything more than that vague idea is a stretch for anybody who doesn't remember me from when I was an overly active poster.

You should fix that old man. Or not, whatever.
Why'd I even post here.

ShockValue:

Neonbob:

You should fix that old man. Or not, whatever.
Why'd I even post here.

But that takes time! Time I don't really have anymore!
About the only time I have to myself these days is when the two year old is napping and my wife is at work!
And most of that has to be spent on schoolwork!
</whine>
Because you felt the magnetic attraction between us. You know it to be true.

Different groups of friends view me in different ways IRL I'd imagine. I act slightly different depending on who I'm around. I think just about everyone who knows me can consider me a handful of adjectives such as "goofy", however.

On here I am treated like a god. Just as it should be >:D

To my friends I'm a cool nerd.

On here I'm a cool nerd.

So I'll be Abed. :D

Cool. Cool cool cool.

Daystar Clarion:
I'm not sure how other people see me really :D
I don't really like to make assumptions either.

I suppose around here, I'm known for liking Okami and derailing threads (even though I don't derail them any more than anyone else).

To my friends in real life, I'm the comic relief :D

I'd have thought being an okami plushie would be your most notable trait.

manic_depressive13:

Mortai Gravesend:

You're the voice of reason in controversial threads.

As for me, I only have two friends in real life and they know me quite well, so I doubt they would shoehorn my entire personality into something so simplistic as the "x" one.

I don't think I'm well known enough on the Escapist for anyone to really notice me. Maybe the one who has a penchant for feeling sorry for themselves.

so how DO they view you? You don't have to just write the "x" one.

I've been told that i'm the smart one in my group of friends which is shocking to me. They also see me as the "Video Game" guy, since they always ask me for recommendations on what to buy. I'm also good at picking out which movies to watch I guess.

On the Escapist? I don't think I'm recognized at all. I don't like arguing, I have no real controversial opinions, and I do nothing very noteworthy with my posting.

IRL, i'm "the funny one" who's also quite intelligent.

On here...i'm...the funny one.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked