Ever Watched A TV Episode That Pissed You Off So Much You Quit Watching The Series?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Vandread did it to me recently. I was on the fence and at least slightly invested in it after catching residual bits of story on account of my SO revelling in her new Netflix account, but then that next to last episode in the first season hit, and saw almost every female lose their minds simultaneously on account of the most bigoted and immature of the crew's behalf.

Waytago, anime; way to simultaneously make me mad for characters being sexist at someone I didn't already like...

As for more classic examples, Peanuts.

Yea. I said it. Charlie Brown.....well, not the holiday specials, those are mostly exempt, but after "A Boy Named Charlie Brown", even at the tender age of 7 I could see that Chuck Shultz, when left to his own devices, mentally tortured his character in a way that the writer's of Evangelion likely took lessons from. I couldn't watch Peanuts related stuff for a long time after that shot of non-violent, family friendly grimdark.Why would I want to watch a character just get repeatedly flogged with no sense of redemption or closure? Shultz said himself Charlie Brown must never be allowed to succeed. AT ANYTHING. Or the character would be diminished. That sir, is as sure a way to render a character uninteresting as making him succeed at everything.

Andromeda season 3 finale.

Warehouse 13, Season 3 Finale.

Honourable mention: SeaQuest DSV.

Sadly the thing that seems to be a fairly common factor with stuff like this, is that the producers/writers create a sci-fi series but realise that it's not drawing the attention of the mainstream audience. They then adjust dumb it down to make it accessible to these audiences. Sci-Fi fans get fed up and stop watching; mainstream audiences are still not interested. Series cancelled.

Community season 3 episode 2.

That episode was so disasterously unfunny it completely scared me off from the rest of the show. I think I fell into the videogame episode sometime after, and that one was very good, but I haven't followed the show since.

The first episode of Lost that I watched. I don't know which episode it is or how far into the series it was, but I was incredibly bored with it and I have never looked back.

irani_che:
Big Bang Theory, there was alot I was willing to let slide.
About season 3 or 4, priya was becoming a fixture,her and leonard got on well, she even tolerated alot of geeky stuff, she was alot better than penny, in many ways. But the writers loyalties lay not with geeks, but idiots and hipsters

suddenly, within 2 episodes, they wrote priya out and shoe-horned women into every place they could, (granted bridgette is pretty hot). the show went from being about geeks to a bland show about several late 20-somethings in relationships whose intended audience are IM SUCH A NERRRRD LOL hipsters.

My friend pointed out that this was probably the case since alot sooner, but this was what made me sick out it

I still like BBT, but I have an issue with how they portray Leonard's love interests. Howard and Sheldon end up hooking up with women who are not conventionally perfect in appearance in some way (Bernadette is quite attractive, but is comically short, for example.)

Meanwhile Leonard is constantly bedding women who are extremely conventionally attractive for no discernible reason other than that he is the character the audience is supposed to sympathize with. I could understand the on again, off again relationship with Penny because they interact daily. But then they throw a high-powered professional attorney played by an Indian model at him who we are to believe at first wants a no-strings attached sexual relationship with him just because he's white. It sounds a lot like wish fulfillment to me.

I was watching The Sopranos with my parents for awhile, but felt like it was going downhill. Then there was this one episode (I think the start of Season 5) with this random, hilariously stupid plot about how there was a bear in their back yard and I just quit.

Bones.

The team are examining the remains of an iraqi war veteran, suddenly fox editorial crowbars its way in and the characters have a discussion about the rights and wrongs of the war which pretty much ends up espousing the view that if you disagreed with the war you should just shut up, then continued as if nothing had happened. Poor writing and blatent propaganda.

It would take a lot more then one episode to get me to stop watching. It would need to be an incredibly bad, status-quo changing season or a few really offensive episodes in a row before I would throw in the towel. As such...no, I really can't think of any time this has happened to me.

Family Guy, the show was already dragging itself by the balls with tons of unfunny jokes (Quagmire hating Brian was okay until they upped it up to eleven and the Conway Twitty cutaways) But the episode with Quagmire and his sister in an abusive relationship, the show had stopped trying to be funny.

Although I still like the series, one episode of Adventure Time pissed me off and I stopped watching episodes for a while.

The last episode of Season 3 of "Sons of Anarchy".

Really enjoyed the show up until that point, but at that time it just got utterly ridiculous. I get that the Gang is supposed to be the "Heroes", but they start coming up with these absurdly ludicrous plans that always work to perfection and somehow always manage to fool every other rival gang around plus the entire Federal Law Enforcement community, it felt like I was watching "A-Team, the Biker Years", and I expected Jax or Clay to say "I love it when a plan comes together!".

Also, the first few episodes of season 2 of "Warehouse 13". Really enjoyed the first season, but season 2 just seemed like it was using every excuse possible to dress up Myka in more and more revealing clothing. I actually liked the fact that in season 1 the show basically said "yeah she's hot, but we're not going to use that as a plot device".

King Billi:
Heroes

I can't pinpoint a specific episode but the transiton from me thinking it was actually a quite interesting cool show to absolutely loathing the very core of it's being was so abrupt that I'm actually quite amazed by it.

For me it was when they brought back Sylar. Honestly, the whole "Heel Face Revolving Door" thing and the fact he stole the spotlight from other potential villains is... Very annoying.

Anyways, for shows all about technology solving crimes, most shows like CSI and NCIS don't seem to know much about tech.

Perhaps the episode that killed CSI: Miami for me was the notorious "video game" episode... Just because it was so downright stupid that I felt like punching the writers in the face. Essentially, there was a brutal bank robbery, lots of people were killed... And one of the gunmen dropped some sort of "counter".

The gunmen's motivation? They were playing some "grand theft auto" rip off and got bored so they decided to shoot up a bank. Why did they have counters on them? Because they were using that to track the amount of "points" they were getting from killing cops. The worst part is they were treating it like the video game is the "real" culprit. The person who made the game was portrayed as some asshole who refused to give them any info because of what amounts to "I don't want to spoil the game", and they had this incredibly ham fisted speech from one of the detectives saying "I know this game, used to play it too... But then I had to stop all these violent video games, they were gettin' to real".

It was incredibly INCREDIBLY offensive, in my opinion. Someone shoots up a bank? Oh it's not because of mental health issues, greed, or anything like that, it's because they played a video game and thought it would be fun!

Not to my recollection, if I did I probably wasn't that into the series to begin with.

Like the OP, Star Wars the Clone Wars has many an episode that makes me pissed off enough to stop watching. I normally return after a few months, but now I've stopped altogether.

There are a number of shows (and even one entire genre) I've stopped watching over the years, mostly after of a sharp decline in quality or a maturation of my tastes.

That said, there was an episode of Burn Notice that pissed me off so much I couldn't take it anymore. Without spoiling anything, in one of the later seasons the main character gets manipulated and black mailed (again); I was mad that it seemed like a contrived way to enforce the status quo, but more than that, I was so mad at the villain and the unfairness of the situation that I simply didn't want to watch it anymore. I just couldn't find any joy in the show after that; it really sucks, too, because I love that show.

In the first season of Spooks, I thought it was alright, but then at the end of the series they had an episode where a woman had her face pushed into a deep fat fryer.

It was so horrific that I have never wanted to watch it again.

The final episode of Clannad: After story pissed me off so much, I can't stand reset button endings dammit! Luckily the show was over then.

That show called Scandal.

It starts off with an episode about a gay war hero, where the moral of the story is basically that all Republicans and/or military are homophobic assholes.

Being a generally open-minded republican who has parents in the military, I was extremely pissed.

But then they continue with an episode about this old lady who was pimping out girls (that's the phrase, right?) and the team gets her off the hook.

Now, I don't think prostitution is that terrible a crime. In fact, I'm probably the most open-minded guy you'd ever meet. I think it would be better if we found a way to regulate it so the people involved didn't have to deal with such a crappy life. Find some way to protect them and all that.

But as it is right now, this IS a crime. This old lady managed to make a TON of money for herself and got away with it for years! And we're supposed to sympathize with her because she's playing the "but I'm just a nice old lady" card?! Yeah, sure, she had her children to worry about, but she should've thought about that before she broke the law. Anyone who is intelligent enough to make a lot of money running an illegal business is definitely intelligent enough to do the same (or at least close to the same) with a legal job.

Oh, and while I'm on my rant; The Good Wife.

There is an episode where a witness is a woman who cheats on her husband. If she takes the stand, her affair will come out.

Now, for those of you who don't know, the main character of this show is a strong woman (Alicia Florrick) whose husband had cheated on her. She then had to suffer through a trial as a witness, which was practically torture to her. Keep this in mind.

So the witness is begging Alicia not to let her up on the stand. She asks how Alicia could do the same thing to this woman as someone had done to Alicia. And Alicia actually pities her!?

Alicia did not cheat on her husband, this woman did. The witness got people in trouble because of what she did. The show kept casting the man she cheated with as the bad guy, but what did he do? He didn't have a wife or girlfriend! It's still a little scummy to sleep with someone you know has a relationship with someone, but he isn't responsible for her actions! And yet HE'S the bad guy? Because the woman obviously had no friggin control over herself?! How come people don't realize that this is just as sexist as "women belong in a kitchen"?

Ugh! I hate it when shows and stuff do that!

Sorry about the rant, but I just needed to get that off my chest.

The Pilot for Breaking Bad.

Holy shit, I've seen a lot of bad pilots in my time, but that one takes the cake. I could not make myself watch any more of that bile.

Every 3 episodes on Grey's anatomy.

Now for a serious answer: Glee. I can't recall the exact point, but for some time every episode has been written poorlier than the one before. I have stopped watching it for good.

Mister Shades:

There's a reason for that. The star, Kevin Sorbo, campaigned to get Robert Wolfe (the executive producer, head writer, and co-creator of the show, and an actual science fiction writer) fired because Sorbo thought the show was too complicated and needed more humor. Basically, he wanted Hercules in Space. By the time it was clear that the whole thing had been a huge mistake, the show was canceled.

Second season of the Walking Dead. After they spent the entire first half looking for the same girl, I realized that the writers were pretty much making stuff up as they went.
Also, second season of Sword Art Online. I could have handled it if they had just used different characters, but nope! The strong female protagonist is reduced to a princess in a cage, the main character who went through hell to escape his virtual prison happily dives into another one, and the villain is some pervert who wants to marry a comatose girl and also calls himself the "King of the Fairies" in his spare time. What went wrong?!
Finally, not a TV show, but I stopped reading Critical Miss after the writers thought that they could do a continual narrative with character drama. They can't. (Protip: Character growth is important if there is a continuity, and making your protagonist evolve past being a self-centered insufferable bitch would be a good first step. On a similar note, don't make the moral of your story arc be "Continue being a self-centered insufferable bitch who uncaringly hurts other people because that's who you are .")

Hunter85792:
Lost. I decided I might as well give it a chance a couple of months ago (despite knowing about the shit finale that was plastered everywhere on the internet half a decade ago)and got up to the start of season 3. Nope. Nope. NOPE. God damn it Abrams, you could have had it all... but you fucked it up. You fucked it up real good.

Season 3 is the low point, and it was their excuse to the network to give the show a finite number of series so they could sketch it out properly. (Assuming your complaint is how the pacing really starts to drag, if not, then I would recommend injecting three milligrams of taste into your blood stream per day.)

x-Tomfoolery-x:
Heroes went downhill near the end of season two in my opinion.
The writer's strike at the time didn't help much either.
Walking Dead has gotten kinda of terrible.
But I think it may be just the dialogue that annoys me. Too much cheesy melodrama.

Are you up to date on TWD? Season 2 was terrible, season 3 has been great so far.

Revolution, episode 4 or 5.

The writing was just so piss poor. Every show they'd have the characters run into a different situation, and the girl/heroine is baffled by what's going on. That's not the bad part. The bad part is that when she asks what's going on, the scooby gang with her, despite having just walked into the situation themselves, always know exactly what it is and explain it to her/the audience. I kept waiting for one of them to smack her in the back of the head and say, "How the hell should we know? We got here after you!"

tippy2k2:
The (very short lived) Dresden Files

In one of the episodes, Bianca was a vampire character and begged for help from Dresden.

Meanwhile, your favorite poster Tippy2k2 had just finished reading "Grave Peril" (terrible timing for the show...).

Now I'm not going to spoil anything but if you were a fan of the book series, you know what happens. In the TV Show...Bianca was a good guy. Nope. I'm out TV Show. I can accept a lot of changes to the series but that is one change that I will NOT accept and am appalled that they made such a drastic change.

In hindsight, I hate the show but I will always be greatfull to it. I saw the show first and throught it was ok so I got the first 3 books, which made me see how bad the show was but gave me my all time favorite book series.

Tuesday Night Fever:
The final episode of Chuck kinda ruined the series as a whole for me, and I loved the series as a whole. I just don't think I'm ever going to be able to watch it again, knowing what happens at the end.

I loved Chuck but the last few episodes killed it for me. I was gutted. But Jeffster doing Take on Me was epic!

OT: I stoped watching Supernatural after seeing the first few episodes of season 6. It was only ment to go on for 5 seasons. The 5th delt with The Devil himself and them trying to prevent the apocalypse. After that the show seems small and dull to me.

It's been a while, so I can't remember the exact episode, but in Family Guy, there was an episode revolving around Brian's Girlfriend. It was then that I realized that the plot of the episode was covered in about 5 minutes, stretched throughout the episode, and the rest was all gags. A lot of them weren't even funny gags, just ones that would waste more time to fill their time slot.

Conversely, I was enjoying American Dad for making the gags become setups later in the episode. After 4 seasons or so, they started dropping the setups for gags, just like Family Guy, so I called it quits. Not right away though, there was the Rapture episode that was amazing. It was an episode so good that I stopped watching, because it was a good ending to the show, and I knew it wasn't going to get better than that.

Katatori-kun:
I watched a couple episodes after, but the first season finale of Battlestar Galactica pretty much killed my interest in the series.

Fuck that show. The nudity didn't even bother me that much, it was Boomer's actions throughout that ending.
First she was like "I'm not a cylon!", and then her sisters tell her that they love her and so she blows them all up. And then she completes her mission as a cylon. I get that she was a double agent, but she couldn't make up her mind about who she wanted to be. Fastforward a season or two, and she hates the humans again, even though one of her models is living with the humans just fine.

And that's another rant: The episode where she and the cylon that was with Gaius are starting a rebellion of sorts. I think anyone would agree that a person's life experiences is what shapes their personality and choices (and the show acknowledged that at some point too). Yet when Boomer died her consciousness was uploaded to all similar cylons, but only the one that resurrected as boomer gave a damn about her experiences.

The only reason why I stuck it out through the whole show is I put it on my PSP to watch during my lunch breaks. I wouldn't have had anything better to do without it.

Criminal minds, CSI (all of them), the big bang theory, most shows on fox (seriously these people go out of their way to cancel the good ones, but let the bad ones go on painfully long), lost, star wars the clone wars, deadliest warrior, manswers, a thousand ways to die, battlestar galactica, caprica, heroes, chuck, extra credits, zero punctuation, the big picture, jimquisition, eureka, warehouse 13, continuum, stargate atlantis, any anime i've ever watched, my little pony, chuck, escape to the movies, xplay, andromeda, bones, NCIS, greys anatomy, cleveland show, etc...

I could go on forever. And to be clear most of these were either the pilot or some random point where I had enough. Most of them should be self explanatory.

Edit: more stuff I thought of: drawn together, any kids show, supernatural... there will be more soon, I promise

kortin:
The Pilot for Breaking Bad.

Holy shit, I've seen a lot of bad pilots in my time, but that one takes the cake. I could not make myself watch any more of that bile.

Ironic considering your avatar is from Gurren Lagann, good anime but started out terribly.

Twin Peaks. It didn't so much piss me off as I guess I just expected more from it.

Warning: If you don't yet know how Laura Palmer died and don't want it spoiled then don't click the spoiler tag. Seems like an obvious thing but you never know.

Mister Shades:

Warehouse 13, Season 3 Finale.

Honourable mention: SeaQuest DSV.

Sadly the thing that seems to be a fairly common factor with stuff like this, is that the producers/writers create a sci-fi series but realise that it's not drawing the attention of the mainstream audience. They then adjust dumb it down to make it accessible to these audiences. Sci-Fi fans get fed up and stop watching; mainstream audiences are still not interested. Series cancelled.

well in Andromeda's case its because the good writer left and some moron took over

I've never had that happen other then the first episode of death note

Gorden Springel:
Ironic considering your avatar is from Gurren Lagann, good anime but started out terribly.

I don't think it's ironic. I think it proves my point. I've seen a lot of bad pilots. I still enjoyed the first episodes of TTGL far more than the first episode of Breaking Bad.

Hunter85792:
Lost. I decided I might as well give it a chance a couple of months ago (despite knowing about the shit finale that was plastered everywhere on the internet half a decade ago)and got up to the start of season 3. Nope. Nope. NOPE. God damn it Abrams, you could have had it all... but you fucked it up. You fucked it up real good.

Just be happy you got out before the end.

OT: Does picking the last episode of a show count? Because after I watched the last episode of Lost I pretty much said "fuck this show" and vowed never to rewatch a single episode and to regard the series with utter contempt.

Being a huge fan of the Sword of Truth books, then watching the first 10 mins of the pilot episode...

Almost every episode of the fourth season of Battlestar Galactica, when it was obvious the writers didn't have a clue what they were doing (actually it kind of started in season 3). Plot threads being rapidly picked up and dropped, characters changing on a whim.

But the first season was so damned good, I felt obligated to finish it.

The Walking Dead show. Stopped sometime around the middle of the first season. It was just a bunch of assholes being assholes for the purpose of creating drama. I didn't care about anyone, and was constantly rooting for the zombies to kill them all. I was never a fan of the series though, so I wasn't heart-broken over it or anything.

TizzytheTormentor:

Although I still like the series, one episode of Adventure Time pissed me off and I stopped watching episodes for a while.

Yeah, about the same reaction I had. I still watched it, but I was dissapointed. Especially since this show is usually pretty good at doing changes like that and going with them.

Man, I read a lot of these responses and feel like a manchild, because most of the shows I've quit for this reason have been cartoons. XD

Anyway, for me, there have never been specific points or single episodes that pissed me off to the point of not watching anymore, because I'm a man of great patience and can usually bite the bullet in the hopes that the show in question gets better (I'm usually right). However, there have been a lot of slow burns: shows that gradually started earning my ire until I eventually came to a realization that I wasn't enjoying myself anymore and just gave up.

The big three in my head are:
The Proud Family ("Jeez, some of the characters in this show are assholes")
Ed, Edd n' Eddy ("Jeez, EVERYONE in this show is a HUGE asshole.")
and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends ("GAWD, Bloo is SUCH an asshole!")
There are probably more, but these are the 3 hugest offenders. I take no shame in saying "screw those shows", I don't care how well received they were.

I also gave up on TTGL, not because of the pilot though - if bad pilots were all that kept me from shows, i never would've bothered with Azumanga Daioh. ZING! Anyway my gripe was mostly during its 2nd season. I get that the show was supposed to be incredibly over-the-top, and I genuinely enjoyed that about it, but at some point after the time skip, it became a game of "who can die in the most explodiest way possible?" That paired with the ending turned me off it for good. Yoko still has a place in my heart though.
-----------------------------------

There are a ton of other shows I quit (Spongebob, Scrubs, Family Guy, Naruto, etc), but those were due to boredom rather than anger.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked