Three books to base a society on.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

thaluikhain:
Seriously, the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics, though that was written for people with really big hands.

it was made for all those giants who look upon normal handbooks and exclaim "What is this, a handbook for ANTS!?"

My last 3 journals

I don't write normal journal stuff in journals, as I have no interest of recording my boring ass life, I write everything from my theories on the overthrowing of various government types in different social structures, to different ways to organize, and further lead everything from a rebel cell, to a full blown resistance movement incorporating many unconnected yet completely organized cells.
Also The constructs of my mind when it comes to economics, general social policy, and all sorts of different ideas for forming a strong governmental system for the benefit of everyone, rich would get richer, poverty would become a tiny margin at the ass end of the huge middle class, all sorts of awesome stuff to do with modifying the economy, usually using different taxation strategy, and the everpresent reduction of the government's own footprint on spending, after all, most current governments spend so much money on paper pushers who are either redundant in their jobs or obsolete in function, with no change or true upgrading of the system, it all just gets more and more expensive as those numbers of obsolete/redundant staff grow, and people get raises, and corruption takes root, and you end up with managers of sections of government who oversee a big paperpushing circlejerk making $500,000/year with an additional $300-500,000 in "performance bonuses(assigned by them, to themselves)...

Anyway, I have a lot of good ideas which if combined would produce a society of generally respectful, properly educated, and properly managed people, who could not only earn enough to survive, but would have real opportunities to advance their financial future, especially considering that the tax system reform would include heavy educational subsidization for advanced learning, changing it from an industry, to a public service, after all, in a society where people are kept from learning things that could lead them to advance fields to benefit human kind as a whole, simply because it costs too much for said people, is in a sad state.

I hate our current governments, and how they support stagnation, and repression, and I dislike our society so rife with fear for our personal financial situation that everyone sees life as "every man for himself" and the sense of communal strength in communities dies out, to be replaced with secret loathing of all other people, as they are both your competitors in everything, and your critics.

/end rant

1) Grey Knight Codex
2) MLP Colouring Book
3) Deadpool Collections

Now THAT is something to see.

But in seriousness,
1)Tao Te Ching
2) The Light Fantastic - Terry Pratchett
3) Buddhist scriptures

1. Leviathan
2. The Will to Power
3. Critic of Pure Reason

1. Altas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.
2. Animal Farm by George Orwell.
3. An Inquiry into the Nature and Causes of the Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.

1. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
2. The Redemption of Althalus
3. Skulduggery Pleasant

!) Smoke and Mirrors. A collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman.
2) Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson
3) Jam by Yahtzee Croshaw.

The authors would be our Gods and saviors...

1: Any Bleach manga
2: Dune
3: Any Shakespeare play.

I would hope that everyone would speak as though it were in a Shakespeare play, act like they were in an episode of Bleach, and search for the Spice.
The perfect world.

CorvusFerreum:

2. The Imperial Infantryman's Handbook (Which is the Imperial Monitorum Manual by Graham McNeill and tha Imperial
Infantryman's Uplifting Primer by Matt Ralphs)

Now thats just mean.

My three books would be:

1: The Green Book Muammar Gaddafi

2: Quotations from Chairman Mao (aka The Little Red Book) Mao Zedong

3: Barney and Friends.

Two books that were used to promote Cults of Personality, and Barney.

klaynexas3:
1. Atlas Shrugged
2. The Communist Manifesto
3. Mein Kempf

I want to see how that world would turn out.

I think we're already living in it, actually. It would explain how politicians got to be such a pack of hypocrites.

Anyway, my choices:

1) Redwall by Brian Jacques

2) Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan

3) Neuromancer by William Gibson

A society of gritty cyber-punk furries. Hell yeah.

1. Foundation
2. The Prince
3. The Art of War

Knowing how assholes work, knowing how to dispense with them, and the ways to fuck with each other without them knowing.

On a person to person level, I have no idea how that would turn out differently than real life.
On a macro level, no nation would fuck with me.

knight steel:
Hmm you know I'm gonna stray from the norm and use manga-their books in comic form :D
1:Evangelion
2:Battle royal
3:Naruto
Now you might be thinking about what a #%#$& horrible society that would make but you're just looking at the outer layer seeing the events and the world when really it the themes and messages you should look at which are actually much more positive than you might think.

I might replace Naruto with Madoka Magica, but pretty much agree with you!

Or, just choose three Harry Potter books and see what becomes of the world. lol

Angie7F:

knight steel:
Hmm you know I'm gonna stray from the norm and use manga-their books in comic form :D
1:Evangelion
2:Battle royal
3:Naruto
Now you might be thinking about what a #%#$& horrible society that would make but you're just looking at the outer layer seeing the events and the world when really it the themes and messages you should look at which are actually much more positive than you might think.

I might replace Naruto with Madoka Magica, but pretty much agree with you!

Or, just choose three Harry Potter books and see what becomes of the world. lol

Madoka Magica omg why didn't I think of that,thats much better than naruto in terms of what I was looking for in regards to themes and messages thank you ^_^

DoPo:

3. D&D: Book of Erotic Fantasy

Oh no... No... I could not live in a world with Asterals doom, or Azure balls. Theres simply no way anyone would risk sex for that.

1. The Bible.
2. How to use firearms for dummies.
3. Mcdonalds cook book.

Result : USA. :D

A Weakgeek:

DoPo:

Oh no... No... I could not live in a world with Asterals doom, or Azure balls. Theres simply no way anyone would risk sex for that.

Also, Evil people like bondage, remember that. :)

It could be worse, though F.A.T.A.L. has...worse spells and things. Erm...there is a 3rd level spell called Have Her Cadaver. It is exactly what you think, and if you are still not sure - you know how D&D has a 3rd level spell Gentle Repose? It's sort of like that. Sort of.

1) Sun Tzu's The Art of War

As it would show how to conduct warfare properly. Diplomacy first, then manipulation of enemy forces so they realize why they should join you, and dominance through any means to end the war.

2) Ender's Game

Just because you can start a war, you must make sure you understand the enemy as well as you understand yourself.

3) How to kill a Mockingbird

Make sure your feelings toward someone are based on actions you have seen, and not what you assume.

Well my three books would be:
1. The Many-Worlds Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics by Bryce DeWitt
2. The Ingenious Gentleman Don Quixote de la Mancha by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
3. The Foundation by Isaac Asimov

So basically my society would be full of people attempting impossible things and a bunch of dudes would be trying to find some order in the chaos that would ensue (they would have something to do till the end of their lives (unless some moron called DeWitt wouldn't come a-calling and destroy all the fun that would be happening (disclaimer for my view of fun please refer to the Dwarf fortress wiki)))

Um... gimme a second to look at my bookshelf...

Okay, got it!

-The Phantom Tollbooth
-To Kill a Mockingbird
-Roar of Thunder, Hear my Cry

...Should be interesting.

DoPo:

A Weakgeek:

DoPo:

Also, Evil people like bondage, remember that. :)

It could be worse, though F.A.T.A.L. has...worse spells and things. Erm...there is a 3rd level spell called Have Her Cadaver. It is exactly what you think, and if you are still not sure - you know how D&D has a 3rd level spell Gentle Repose? It's sort of like that. Sort of.

Sigh, I wonder who actually uses that material for their campagins.

I want into one.

VoidWanderer:
1) Sun Tzu's The Art of War

As it would show how to conduct warfare properly. Diplomacy first, then manipulation of enemy forces so they realize why they should join you, and dominance through any means to end the war.

This, for the same reason.

2) "The Wealth of Nations"-Adam Smith

He knew what he was talking about with economics and he should be much more respected.

3) "Decision Points"-George W. Bush

Joke: Because F*** You, thats why!! Bush was Great!!!

Serious: I believe that no matter how you view Bush (and I wasnt too far from kidding. I dont think he was as bad as people say he was), it still shows how to do something many politios and presidents have forgotten how to do: LEAD!

Let's just toss these in a blender.
1. The Sun also Rises
2. Dragonlance Preludes: Kendermore
3. IT

Edited for more.
This is fun OP, need like button for you.
1. The Little House on the Prairie
2. The ZOMBIE survival guide
3. American Hair Metal

Brave New World

no need for anything else

Gonna get trolled to death, but whatever. Martyrdom.

1. The Bible (Before you start calling me a gay-basher, learn yourself what it means when we say that Jesus fulfilled the law, you intolerant jerk)
2. Atlas Shrugged
3. God Emperor of Dune

Also, dubstep and shitty, not-metal music like that would be outlawed.

I am almost completely sure that no one has ever actually read Atlas Shrugged. (It can be charitably described as dry.)

Oh, and three books ... eh?

- The Republic by Plato and/or Socrates, depending on who you ask.
- A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn
- Philosophy and The Simpsons by William Irwin, Mark T. Conard, Aeon J. Skoble

DoPo:
1. The Bible
2. The Koran
3. The Torah

But that's pretty much the same book 3 times! How boring!

OT:
Hmm. Tricky question
1. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
2. Fight Club
3. Heart of Darkness

Hippies tripping on acid, fighting each other and attempting to destroy society, before going mad and becoming savages/monsters.

That'd make a great film! Maybe even a great game, but I don't have the skill to make it the way I imagine it.

1. Dont Let the Pidgeon on the Bus
2. Onion News World Atlas
3. Websters Dictionary

1: The hungry catapillar
2: the Pilot's manual for a bf 109
3: the lusty argonian maid.

Scrap 3. try... jack in the box

1. The Call of Cthulhu
2. The Pit and the Pendulum
3. The Birds

My society won't last a day.

1. Catch 22
2. The Mater and Margarita
3. Welcome to the desert of the real

1. Brave New World. If you've read it you'll know why ;)
2. Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson, because he is a god to be worshipped.
3. The Beach. That would be a nice little utopia, until it stops being so.

Ghonesis:

oh wait, that's a play. Uhm..
3. 1984

You do realise that's a play too?

Bible
Brave New World
Fountainhead

If you temper Ayn Rand (probably spelled her name wrong) with morality, her ideas are great. On their own, they're psychopathic.

True Love by Robert Fulghum
Time Enough For Love by Robert A. Heinlein
Large pile of love letters

:3

The Color of Magic
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Pokemon Adventures

Do I win?

"Guns, germs, and steel" by Jared Diamond.
"Origin of species" By Charles Darwin.
"The Wealth of Nations" by Adam Smith.

Two are influential books that have shaped the modern world, and Diamond's book provides an objective history of the world.

All of them have their merits and criticisms, but I think they are necessary for a modern society.

1, Spot the Dog: Fun with Spot
2, Mr Men: Mr Tickle
3, The very hungry Caterpillar

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked