Sleep deprivation! How do you react to it?

Pages PREV 1 2

How do I react to it?

I go driving on the sidewalk. I find that it perks me right up, almost immediately. Not to mention the poor, unsuspecting fuckers that will eventually meet me in the process.

I then go home and sleep soundly and peacefully. Quite unlike the people I met that day. >.>

Me? Not really affected by it. The most I get is that my head feels stuffy later in the day. I DID stay up on a flight from DC to India though, so I'm not the best one to ask. =P

I can't normally get through a night without feeling like I'm hearing things.
I mean like bumps that definitely sound like a crazed murderer hiding in the dark ready to stab me.

I can deal with it considering that being in the Army forces you to deal with it. Stay occupied and it doesn't bother me too much but inactivity will find me dozing off here and there. On a side note: all of you who don't get sufficient sleep will age faster and die earlier. Have fun with that.

Being young, sleep deprivation really doesn't bother me all that much. I can easily work with just 3 hours of sleep. I get my sleep where I can, and I usually get about 10 hours of sleep on the weekends, but on days when I can only get 4 or 5 hours of sleep my lack of sleep doesn't really bother me.

Hell, a couple of weeks ago I stayed up until 4 in the morning drinking and playing games with some friends, got 3 hours of sleep, then spent the next day at an amusement park, all day, and had to drive 2 hours home. Felt completely fine when I got back.

you were just trlling with a mate, nothing too big about that. i do that when im awake too.

As fr sleep depravation. how d i react? i dont. sleep is a mandatory punishment for having meat for your body, being forced to be locked in bed doing nothing for 8 hours every day. If it is less or more i usually end up feeling like a zombie. (yes if i sleep more i end up feeling liek shit too). I awlays wake up at 5:30 AM. always, regardless of day of the week. If i have to g to sleep later due to some reason, i get less sleep. because fuck beign healthy. nobody gt time for that. If its a case of like being home at 4 AM its nto worth going to sleep to begin with for 1,5 hours. so i skip sleep that night completely. i ot the luxury of being 24 so my boy can endure a night without sleep without resulting in a coma, which is good enough.

Capcha: baby steps. yeah....

I become manically depressed and sluggish. The only cure is 2 hours at the gym and then a straight road to bed no matter the time. I will always wake up at 4A.M. and then proceed to stay awake till midnight before resuming a normal sleep schedule.

smithy_2045:
Sleep deprivation. It's one hell of a drug.

I find the best way to fix an abysmal sleep pattern is to pull an all nighter and go to bed at a reasonable time the next day.

I try to do that & it fails every time & just end up with an even worse sleep schedule. Anyway & luckily for me I fixed it twice it's not really hard to do anymore. It seems sleeping in makes me tired as early as not enough (should).

When sleep deprived, I get drunker and drunker until I pass out.

I don't have any dynamic stories, beyond the fact that I become TERRIBLE at customer service the next day. Just... abysmal.

Also, some sleep schedules can't be fixed without melatonin followed by a really miserable day followed by more melatonin.

Thanks to my chronic insomnia, I am more or less immune to it. On January, I had only 4 hours of sleep in 7 days. I didn't go insane, I didn't act any differently, I just had no energy whatsoever and was constantly tired and sleepy. And yet I could not sleep. I was too tired to do anything that wasn't a strict obligation, and I ended up having a rather terrifying workplace accident.

I have been on extra-strong sleeping pills ever since, and I could not possibly be better. Though I still have some adjustments to do, since I am still prone to forgetting to take the damn pills and I end up pulling all-nighters completely effortlessly.

lacktheknack:
When sleep deprived, I get drunker and drunker until I pass out.

I don't have any dynamic stories, beyond the fact that I become TERRIBLE at customer service the next day. Just... abysmal.

Also, some sleep schedules can't be fixed without melatonin followed by a really miserable day followed by more melatonin.

OT: Usually my eyelids just get droopier and droopier until I helplessly fall asleep. I've never really suffered from insomnia, thankfully.

Sleep deprivation..Ah it's ok, I just compensate for it by crashing and burning the following day, speaking of which I need to get to bed I've got Uni tomorrow.

The only time I have trouble sleeping is when I'm worried about something. Since I live a very simple life, that is not very often at all.

Keep your life simple and clean, be good to others and you should be able to sleep like a baby.

Daystar Clarion:
Can't deal with it.

I've never had problems sleeping, and I can sleep nearly anywhere. I don't sleep a lot, during the week I get about 6-7 hours a day, but I need that sleep.

Every time I pull an all nighter, I'm totally fucked the next day.

This.

I've never had problems with my sleep. If I happen to get a poor night of sleep, I'm just tired for the rest of the day and then sleep well the next night.

When there's no reason for me to get up I will sleep for 9-10 hours, but during term time at uni it's about 7 hours a night.

I used to remember being able to stay up all night and not be horribly messed up the next day when I was younger, but now at 18 I basically always find myself sleeping fairly early.

I imagine I might be horribly grumpy if I ever did reach a truly sleep-deprived state.

Darken12:
Thanks to my chronic insomnia, I am more or less immune to it. On January, I had only 4 hours of sleep in 7 days. I didn't go insane, I didn't act any differently, I just had no energy whatsoever and was constantly tired and sleepy. And yet I could not sleep. I was too tired to do anything that wasn't a strict obligation, and I ended up having a rather terrifying workplace accident.

I have been on extra-strong sleeping pills ever since, and I could not possibly be better. Though I still have some adjustments to do, since I am still prone to forgetting to take the damn pills and I end up pulling all-nighters completely effortlessly.

Thats sounds pretty horrible, good thing you got those pills now...

OT: I generally don't get sleep deprivation though I used to get bouts of insomnia. These days I actually get plenty of sleep, it's just very poor light sleep and I wake up feeling exhausted anyway. I only just about get through the day on caffeine most of the time.

I react to it by being fairly bad at most things and much more clumsy than if i'm fully rested.

'I think I might die'.

My sides are in orbit right now.

OT: Well, it's 3.30am here in Yorkshire, I went to sleep at 12.00 and awoke at 2.00. So this is a problem that I also must face.

A lot of exercises during my national service (1 year in the Finnish Defence Forces) and after signing up with the army full-time have specifically dealt with sleep deprivation and the effects thereof. As a result my ability to keep working through it has skyrocketed compared to what it's once been.

The key with sleep deprivation is to eat regularly and keep drinking. When your body can't fuel itself through sleep, you have to balance that out with enough food. Of course there's a limit on how long you can stay awake until you just start running the risk of just dozing off the moment you sit down, but with small naps (30min - 2h) and sufficient meals I find I'm capable of normal function for a good two to four days until I seriously need to get a proper pile of sleep in.

I chain smoke cigarettes and drink coffee. Gets me through the day.

In short: headaches. Lots of headaches.

For some reason I get a headache before I even start feeling tired, which sucks because that then makes it harder to get to sleep (my natural resistance to pain medication is an added bonus).

Other than that, my sense of humor degrades to the point that I once spent an entire night thinking up 'yo mamma' jokes to tell in Bioshock's Rapture. Damn shame I can't remember any of them now, I'm positive that some were quite good.

As a victim of insomnia, sleep dep is my best friend. On the flipside I can be a real dick sometimes due to the lack of sleep. So double-edged sword.
Also to the OP, wow.. interesting conversation. Sounds like something I've experienced in all my long years of being up at 3am talking to anyone who'll listen to my raving lunacy.

I have two three stages. (Apparently I'm approaching the first as of this writing..)
The first is where I just get kind of drowsy and unresponsive.
The second stage of that is where my music starts sounding WAY better than it ever does. Everything just hits harder, and it more impactful. So my adrenaline get's going and I start pretending I'm Dave Lombardo.

Past that if I make it, is the TRUE sleep deprivation stage for me. This is where I get really really loopy. I can giggle uncontrollably for no reason and forget how to do everyday menial tasks. (was making a PB&J sandwich and I put the PB in the fridge and the jelly in the cupboard. Totally unaware.)

I react to sleep deprivation by going to sleep.

I my body just cannot stay up past 1am and cannot sleep in past 8am. When I do stay up later (2-3am) I can't sleep in, but I can still easily function.

Never had it. Always sleep properly, even when I don't want to. My body just gives in.

Good luck with that.

"With insomnia, nothing's real. Everything is far away. Everything is a copy of a copy of a copy."

I don't lose it as much as some of you guys. Everything seems distant, and I talk to myself. I talk to myself a lot when I haven't slept. I get hungry. Really hungry. After twelve hours of extra up-time I can eat a whole pizza in one sitting, which is unusual for me. After around four days I'll start to feel tired, and possibly pass out. That's a dangerous one for, shouldn't do that any more. However, I've trained myself for that kind of up-time, no point in sleeping, it just feels like a waste of time. With enough pop-tarts I'll never sleep again.

krazykidd:
I'm 24 . When i was 16-22 i could sleep for like 3-4 hours a day and pull all nighters once or twice a week and be fine. As soon as i hit 23 it was all over. I needed 8-9 hours of sleep to feel fresh and in shape .

Man you could almost be me. Except I officially turned "old" when I was 21. Considering how often I leave my university assignments to the last goddamn second, it kind of sucks. I start questioning if the stairs I'm walking on are actually there.

I also try to do the "pull all nighter then sleep at a reasonable hour the next day" thing but it doesn't work for me anymore :( If my regular sleepy time was, say, 4am or 5am, I MIGHT be able to make it to 12 pm before crashing.

It depends on the situation, if I have important things I absolutely need to do I can pull an allnighter pretty easily and be awake and alert the next day, even stay up all night AGAIN if need be, however 2nd night is not easy or pleasant, it's hard as shit and hell on earth, and the following day is a little better during the morning hours but quickly becomes awful again.

I'll try to explain how it affects me.

The early discomfort symptoms starts setting in during the first night, this includes stuff like shivering and feeling a little depressed but other than that I don't notice a big difference until the day after. This became very obvious once a while ago where I decided to drive(never again) to school after an allnighter and I could immediately feel I lacked the awareness and alertness I usually have when driving.

I also find that in general I have a harder time focusing my vision on anything more than 20 meters away and everything becomes sort of hazy and a little blurry. I also imagine my cognitive capabilities worsen pretty substantially, but I've never tested myself like that.

Thing is though, without something important to do or friends around me I find it nearly impossible to stay up late, I can't pull an allnighter just for the sake of doing it, I'll crumble within a few hours.

Two words:
CAT. VIDEOS.

Funniest sh*t you will ever see in your life. I once passed out from laughing to much.

There are whole portions of my life that I can't recall because of sleep deprivation.

Memory loss, microsleeps, hallucinations and permanent dark circles under my eyes.

I've eaten the foulest things to stay awake and learned a dozen or so methods to ensure I stay awake or wake myself up should I pass out.

Sleep deprivation? What's that? I sleep at least 8 hours each night, drink lots of coffee and recently I also discovered wonders of napping. [/hollierthanthou]

My solution is that whenever you feel at least little bit tired to do something and sleeping is possible, sleep. You will spend at least 1/3 of your life sleeping but at least other 2/3s will be worth it.

I'm generally alright with it. If I've been lying in bed for an hour and there's nothin' doin', I just go back downstairs and deal with it. I'm lucky for sleep deprivation to only lead to a whole lot of yawning and typing even worse than usual. Oh, and also laughing at pretty much everything.

The tireder I get the worse my temper gets and my ability to tolerate little niggles and annoyances goes down proportionately with the increase in temper. I can have a pretty foul temper if I am really tired and someone tests my patience, some very angry words are the order of the day then.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked