The artist in thee

Pages PREV 1 . . . 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 . . . 71 NEXT

(Part 20.)

(Part 22.)

So I'm swiftly coming up on my 18th birthday, which will enable me to legally get a tattoo. I've wanted this kind of design for the last three years so I feel it's done its trial time. It's been re-designed a dozen times. This is the most recent rendition.

I still need to pick where it goes.

Since my artistic skill is near zero, the only creating thing I have going at the moment is my Windows 7 theme.

I feel this thread should be saved from disappearing over the cliff that is Page 20...

NeutralMunchHotel:
I feel this thread should be saved from disappearing over the cliff that is Page 20...

Indeed.
It's been a long time since I've had anything to contribute, I'm afraid. Work has been taking it all out of me, and I've so rusty that it's not even funny. The only thing I recently got finished was another picture of Jamie, mainly because I wanted to incorporate his magic deck:

Here's a couple of little studies a did this past week. Both are about 1-2 1/2 hour endeavors.

For the first time in ages, I actually coloured something (well, coloured something and almost put an effort into it). I almost did a little dance as celebration when I realized that.

It makes perfect sense to despise my own style because for being too cute, but do absolutely nothing to change it, right?

So at last I have finished my Extension 2 Major Work. Lo, it is before thee to read. Feedback would be great too.

Fair warning, it's 7000 words all up.

[1] This was far from the truth, but Mercutio had never admitted to himself that fault was anywhere other than in his stars.
[2] Standard Hop. Avian unit of measurement. Approximately 21cm.

Hey Escapists! Sleekgiant have told me to put my two drawings in this thread, so, here they are right here:

http://www.deviantart.com/download/172731821/The_Princess_of_Shangara_by_timbox129.jpg

http://www.deviantart.com/download/172732574/The_Warrior_Girl_of_Shangara_by_timbox129.jpg

Just follow the links.

So, if you've seen my two drawings following these two links, do you like my two drawings or not? Is the Lee Lee (DeeDee's Asian friend from Dexter's Lab) depicted in the other drawing other than her in a kimono that I did look like a female version of Samurai Jack? Well, are my two drawings great or good or what?

I kinda want to get an opinion on my writing, but I haven't written anything in a while (besides a fanfic I'm working on), so I only have old stuff to show.

This is something I wrote for the Serial Killer game over in Forum Games ages ago:

And a few paragraphs of something I started writing a while back, but sorta dropped since then:

I'm not much with a Pencil and Paper (Unless I'm writing). But I'm satisfied with my work with a mouse.

All of this was made on Gimp (on a Mac) xP

She walked to school with the lunch she packed
Nobody knows what she's holding back
Wearing the same dress she wore yesterday
She hides her bruises with her linens and lace

The teacher wonders but she doesn't ask
It's hard to see the pain behind her mask
Bearing the burden of her secret storm
Sometimes she wishes she was never born

(chorus)
Through the wind and the rain
She stands hard as a stone
In a world that she can't rise above
But her dreams give her wings
And she flies to a place where she's loved
Concrete angel

Somebody cries in the middle of the night
The neighbors hear but they turn out the light
A fragile soul caught in the hands of fate
When morning comes it will be too late

(chorus)

A statue stands in a shaded place
An angel girl with an upturned face
Her name is written on a polished rock
A broken heart that the world forgot

(chorus)

Ripped straight from my DeviantArt account, here's more of my dabbling's with Markers!

That's all for now! Enjoy!

It's been a few weeks. I haven't done a crit in a while, so...

Archemetis:
snip

Good to see a whole whack of work, you're keeping up a solid level of quality throughout. My favorite is definitely the birdman. One thing I'm noticing about these is that your lines are pretty rigid, which is quite the difference from your digital work's smoother curves. It's most noticeable with the pin-up, where the presence of curves (in both a linear and figure-based sense) is really important.

Here are my last two entries for Character of the Week and Creature of the Week. The character I'm decently happy with. I was pretty amazed, with Character of the Week, how traditionally everyone takes the briefs. There's much less diversity than there is with Creature of the week. On the other hand, this creature of the week is one of my favorites in terms of design but easily takes the cake for my least favorite execution of any of my creature pieces in the last while.

Here they are...

Fightgarr:
It's been a few weeks. I haven't done a crit in a while, so...

Archemetis:
snip

Good to see a whole whack of work, you're keeping up a solid level of quality throughout. My favorite is definitely the birdman. One thing I'm noticing about these is that your lines are pretty rigid, which is quite the difference from your digital work's smoother curves. It's most noticeable with the pin-up, where the presence of curves (in both a linear and figure-based sense) is really important.

Yeah, the rigid, more angular look was a style choice I'd made for Lady Cadaver characters. As you've no doubt noticed I'm still working out the kinks to make it look as decent as it possibly can, it's been a little hit-and-miss but I think progression is taking place.

A reason for this could be that I've been influenced into reading a lot of HellBoy Lately, my girlfriend owns a fairly nice amount of the first series and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't trying to adopt elements of Mignola's style into my own.
So that might explain some of the rigidity, if you're at all familiar with his style.

But yeah I completely see what you mean about it being different from my digital style; I've barely touched my tablet for the larger part of the last month or so and I feel like I've gotten so used to my A6 sketchbook that I'm now having to re-teach myself how to draw digitally. It's incredibly odd because, as we know it's my primary medium.

But yeah, thank you for the Crit, much appreciated.
I'll be working on my ink lining style a bit more.

Hmm figured i could post a little something i doodled that i don't despise enough to just trash it 5 minutes after i make it...

Here's my first attempt at a realistic drawing. She's the 12 year old protagonist in a story I'm writing. Many thanks to Empireth, LaCoil and Fightgarr for the help making it look nice. :)

Starnerf:
Here's my first attempt at a realistic drawing. She's the 12 year old protagonist in a story I'm writing. Many thanks to Empireth, LaCoil and Fightgarr for the help making it look nice. :)

Very good drawing. You even got all the highlights right, which I can never do.

My only comment would be that she doesn't look twelve. I'd peg her at about fourteen, actually. If she's twelve, it's a really tall twelve.

Zemalac:

Starnerf:

Very good drawing. You even got all the highlights right, which I can never do.

My only comment would be that she doesn't look twelve. I'd peg her at about fourteen, actually. If she's twelve, it's a really tall twelve.

Thanks. Again, it's really thanks to Empireth's continued help and LaCoil's and Fightgarr's suggestions that it actually looked like a person and not an alien. She's supposed to be short, actually, around 4'8". She's ~6.7 heads tall in this drawing, if I'm measuring correctly.

Well, I've been trying some painting lately. I still don't enjoy it that much, but I guess I'm happy with the results. I'd like some general critiquing if anyone would like to do that.

Sporky111:
Well, I've been trying some painting lately. I still don't enjoy it that much, but I guess I'm happy with the results. I'd like some general critiquing if anyone would like to do that.

You have a few things to look at in terms of painting. I see you're working on paper. Switch to canvas or (at least) canvas board as soon as possible. Paint and paper are not meant for each other, and you will enjoy painting vastly more with the correct surface to paint on.

For the first painting: Composition and space are both really important to establish, especially with an abstract. Start with a greater variation in the size of the shapes you're painting. That will begin to develop objects in space and will take the eye around the piece easier. The change in size will begin to give the illusion of depth. The second thing to start doing is to add a greater colour palette. At the moment you're sitting with an entirely warm palette. The problem there is that it's boring for the eye, an the monochrome flattens the space. Adding subtle hints of cooler shades will bring greater depth to palette and will help to further establish that space. Abstract with a spacial sense is not good abstract. Finally, take a look at tone. Convert your image into a greyscale and look at the variance in light and dark. You'll begin to notice that midtones, highlights and darks should all be present in some significant sense. If you have them all present, then the piece will read better.

For the second piece: Graphic pieces like this are really fun to do, and you'll find that masonite, canvas or wood will do you a lot better for this kind of work than paper. There is only one problem that is apparent here, the visibility of your brushstrokes. It's easy to fix, though. You are most likely using acrylic paint, so buy yourself a tub of cheap Gel Medium. Mix a bit of the medium into your paint instead of adding water and you'll find that it flows off the brush easier, without getting the brushgrain texture.

I hope that helps out a bit. I'm a pretty experienced painter, so feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

Fightgarr:
-snip-

Well, thanks a lot. The reason they're on paper is because they're assignments for a distance-education art course (I will NEVER EVER take art by distance again) and they need to be rolled up and mailed to be marked. Bed of Coals had to be monochromatic as part of colour theory lesson, and I actually did use a mixture of blue and brown in the orange to get the darker shades.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. I prefer pencils to paints, but if I have no choice then I'll definitely remember this stuff.

I have been inspired by some local cartoonist and by Jhonen Vasquez to start drawing more. I have always doodled my whole life but now im gonna try and make something out of it and hopefully start some kind of a career of it. I am young and i have limited experience of drawing. So il show you some of my favorite work.

I dont know what the hell this is, but i am proud of it. Its called " Subtle Suicidal Revenge" because of what i can make out of the drawing.

This next one i had alot of fun drawing. I was practicing my shading skills and just drawing some new figures.

This is one of my earlies drawings i did when i decided to draw it. But i think no one should take my drawings too seriously.

If you like them you can see some more at my deviant art account. http://johangasmask.deviantart.com

So I figure I might as well do at least one self-portrait a year. Here's last night's 2am contribution to artistic credibility.

Here's a link to the re-edited and final version of my Extension 2 Major Work. It's 7750 words of satire and punnery reflecting on intellectual property laws.
The Beak

Love the new Self-Portrait Laby, especiall the slight angle on the face. :D

So here are the three final drawings for my Art Major Work. Each one is on a 1x1.5m sheet of paper, done in charcoal and coloured pencil. I can't say I like trying to put them in photos as I feel it doesn't do them justice. Then again, I'm horribly biased. Enjoy.

Labyrinth:
So here are the three final drawings for my Art Major Work. Each one is on a 1x1.5m sheet of paper, done in charcoal and coloured pencil. I can't say I like trying to put them in photos as I feel it doesn't do them justice. Then again, I'm horribly biased. Enjoy.

Oh Joy, Imageshack, even when it's artistic nudity you'll still remove it.
The one that still shows up though (no.2) is fantastic Laby.
Brilliant use of colour.

Hey guys, what you think, where should i improve?

Sorry slightly dodgy quality, took it on my camera, some edge of pictures arent visible. :p

Probs the best i done:

I might change the flowers a bit:

Also gonna post this badly proportioned building i came up with here:

Anyway, im struggling to come up with something better than trees, black deserts and red yellow skies, i cant seem to go far from painting and object up close and real far, but in creative space/fantasy landscapes i cant seem to push myself further. :p

Archemetis:
Brilliant use of colour.

Argh. Stupid people who can't tell art when they see it. Thanks.

Labyrinth:

Archemetis:
Brilliant use of colour.

Argh. Stupid people who can't tell art when they see it. Thanks.

DeviantART's the way to go.

I might post a few shots after I develop the Film. I'm that pro, I still use a Film SLR Camera.

Let's try this again.

Just take a look at the photo in my profile. A self portrait done in oil paint.

This is a short story I wrote about a year ago, and still think it good in it's unedited form, but any feedback would be much appreciated.

Waiting.

And a poem. It doesn't quite work, but again, any feedback would be appreciated.

The Last Stand:

One of the first of the actually good poems I've written, and probably one of my better ones.

One Man Army:
Not quite as good an The Last Stand, but interesting in a strange, abstract kind of way.

Also, it would be much appreciated if someone could direct me to (or tell me how to) insert images into posts, I would be much obliged.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 . . . 71 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked