Metal thread

Pages PREV 1 . . . 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 NEXT

wordsmith:

Rusty Bucket:

wordsmith:
Hey, is this a thread where I can make unqualified assumptions that Metal is utter rubbish and it takes no talent to make it? No? In that case, may I ask you to refrain from doing it whenever a rap/hip-hop related topic comes up?

Many thanks,

Wordsmith.

(On Topic) Anyone got a Less Than Jake album they can recommend? I've got Welcome to Rockview, looking for more.

What? Was this entirely necassary? Also, how are Less Than Jake on topic in a thread about metal?

Yes actually, I think it was. Two threads in the past few weeks about rap/hip-hop:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.128191#2744751
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.127814?page=1

People come in, say something along the lines of "ZOMG why would anyone buy that rap is shit lolololololol", then leave. I'm merely making a point that the rap fans aren't in here burning metal to the ground, so why don't the rap threads get the same respect.

Well yeah, but why are you doing it in this thread? Why not in those threads? Do you know that all the people flaming hip hop are metal fans?

I was at sonisphere festival this weekend. So many fantastic bands! Mastodon were a personal hilight, they played a brilliant, if short, set (i was right at the front). Avenged sevenfold were also good. I saw them last year at Leeds but they all had colds then so they were only on stage for 15 minutes or so. Metallica once again proved how epic they truly are aswell. Killer set from them; so much fun.

There is a difference here. Fans of rap music are generally try hard 'gangsta' douchebags.

Anthing featuring amon amarth, arch enemy, and or Opeth.

Just listening to Sacred reich`s "ignorance" album and it`s epic

Not Good:

pantallica95:
Of course! As I'm about to start a new metal thread this one decides to come back to life.

I have found that this thread is populated by a lot of Lamb of God fans. Am i the only one that thinks that they are borderline metalcore? And that they're unoriginal as fuck. The vocals are somewhat original, but stolen from death metal bands mostly, the riffs are WAY too Pantera-ey, but the drums are the only thing that saves them from being utterly shitty.

Your not the only one. Also I don't like the people who just come in here and say "METALLICA RULEZ" and "OMG SLIPKNOT R SO METALLLLl!!!!1!" Which is, by the way, 80% of this thread.

In any case I've given up on the Escapist's taste in metal. All they listen to is pretentious, boring, overproduced garbage.

Nice avatar man.

But a lot of people on the Escapist listen to great metal. I've seen big power metal fans, big death metal fans, black metal fans, i've seen everything on here.

Can anybody recomend a good Opeth album? I have Ghost Reveries and My Arms, Your Hearse already, but I want to get all of their albums eventually. Should i start at the beginning and get Orchid or just collect haphazardly going by what's best? So i guess what I'm asking is what's best?

Yokai:
Thrash. I'm all for thrash. Anything with screaming about rivers of blood and piles of bones is just obnoxious. Metallica, Black Tide, and Disturbed's latest two albums. Seether is all right, but I don't know if they count as metal...

You'll come around in a while. Metallica is a huge gateway band. After you get into stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, and Testament, you'll get into Pantera, and that will get you past your apparent aversion to screaming. Thats what happend to me at least. Now I loves me some death metal : )

Alestorm and Manowar are 2 of my favorite bands.

Gotta love music that makes you want to pick up a battle axe and cleave the nearest person in half.

pantallica95:

Not Good:

pantallica95:
Of course! As I'm about to start a new metal thread this one decides to come back to life.

I have found that this thread is populated by a lot of Lamb of God fans. Am i the only one that thinks that they are borderline metalcore? And that they're unoriginal as fuck. The vocals are somewhat original, but stolen from death metal bands mostly, the riffs are WAY too Pantera-ey, but the drums are the only thing that saves them from being utterly shitty.

Your not the only one. Also I don't like the people who just come in here and say "METALLICA RULEZ" and "OMG SLIPKNOT R SO METALLLLl!!!!1!" Which is, by the way, 80% of this thread.

In any case I've given up on the Escapist's taste in metal. All they listen to is pretentious, boring, overproduced garbage.

Nice avatar man.

But a lot of people on the Escapist listen to great metal. I've seen big power metal fans, big death metal fans, black metal fans, i've seen everything on here.

Can anybody recomend a good Opeth album? I have Ghost Reveries and My Arms, Your Hearse already, but I want to get all of their albums eventually. Should i start at the beginning and get Orchid or just collect haphazardly going by what's best? So i guess what I'm asking is what's best?

Can't go wrong with Blackwater Park, that's definitely one of their best. Their newest one, Watershed, is pretty good as well. I'd those two first, and then just pick bits up randomly.

Nigh Invulnerable:

Not Good:

pantallica95:

And what exactly is your taste in metal? I'm asking seriously, not as some smartass comment. Generally the posters on the site are teenagers (not all of us, but probably a majority) and I recall my own teenage tastes running towards the more mainstream metal stuff at the time. Now I basically go for whatever catches my ear, regardless of production, but I tend to shy away from most things MTV/radio.

Old thrash DM (Possessed and my Avatar) and early and 90s BM are what I'm mainly into. Still, I'll listen to DM if it's something original and not crap, like Autopsy or CC even. and currently I'm getting into Avant garde

However I dislike many bands that have plagued the modern metal scene i.e. Disturbed, Lamb of God etc. I also have a severe hatred for Prog metal because it comes off as pretentious to have your time signature change 2,754 times in a song.

Not Good:

Nigh Invulnerable:

Not Good:

pantallica95:

And what exactly is your taste in metal? I'm asking seriously, not as some smartass comment. Generally the posters on the site are teenagers (not all of us, but probably a majority) and I recall my own teenage tastes running towards the more mainstream metal stuff at the time. Now I basically go for whatever catches my ear, regardless of production, but I tend to shy away from most things MTV/radio.

Old thrash DM (Possessed and my Avatar) and early and 90s BM are what I'm mainly into. Still, I'll listen to DM if it's something original and not crap, like Autopsy or CC even. and currently I'm getting into Avant garde

However I dislike many bands that have plagued the modern metal scene i.e. Disturbed, Lamb of God etc. I also have a severe hatred for Prog metal because it comes off as pretentious to have your time signature change 2,754 times in a song.

What do you mean 'plauged'? Lamb of God may not be the greatest band ever, but they're pretty fun to listen to, and at least they're bringing more people to the genre, which is always good.

Not Good:

Nigh Invulnerable:

Not Good:

pantallica95:

*sniff* I smell elitist.

Anybody here listen to At the Gates?

EDIT: If you like Death and Possessed, try Obituary. They're pretty old school, and they have that shitty classic death metal production value that we all know and love!

O.O *Gasp* a metal thread that I don't know about?!

Anyway, I'm listening to Stratovarious at the moment, just found out about them awhile ago. They're supposed to be something like symphonic power metal...really great band whatever the genre :D. As for what I usually listen to...well not nu-metal or anything of the like(metalcore and anything else that ends with core). I listen to a lot of death metal, black metal, power/folk metal, old thrash metal umm what am I missing here... well I suppose that's close enough.

Also somone mentioned AT the Gates, I think they're pretty good, sort of a mix between thrash and death.

Rusty Bucket:

What do you mean 'plauged'? Lamb of God may not be the greatest band ever, but they're pretty fun to listen to, and at least they're bringing more people to the genre, which is always good.

Not always good. Sometimes it makes hip-hop/rap fans think they can make metal, that's pretty much where metalcore came from. Although Lamb of God isn't metalcore and they're truthfully not bad.

Sightless Wisdom:

Rusty Bucket:

Not always good. Sometimes it makes hip-hop/rap fans think they can make metal, that's pretty much where metalcore came from. Although Lamb of God isn't metalcore and they're truthfully not bad.

That's not really where metalcore came from at all. And i don't see what's wrong with metalcore. I don't really like it, there's way better music out there, but if it wasn't for that genre i wouldn't be enjoying death metal today. Getting metal more recognition is definitely a good thing, the more people that listen to it, the better. Metalcore is a very effective gateway for that.

Willwillwritehiswill:
I was at sonisphere festival this weekend. So many fantastic bands! Mastodon were a personal hilight, they played a brilliant, if short, set (i was right at the front). Avenged sevenfold were also good. I saw them last year at Leeds but they all had colds then so they were only on stage for 15 minutes or so. Metallica once again proved how epic they truly are aswell. Killer set from them; so much fun.

Yes, yes and YES!! I was gutted I missed Mastodon, they changed stage cos they were scheduled to be on the main stage originally I think, and that messed it up for me :S

Either way, it was a killer weekend!

Sightless Wisdom:

Rusty Bucket:

Not always good. Sometimes it makes hip-hop/rap fans think they can make metal, that's pretty much where metalcore came from. Although Lamb of God isn't metalcore and they're truthfully fucking brilliant.

Corrected that statement for you :P The new album is probably my least favorite, although it has a couple of amazing tracks, the rest are fairly average...

Wadders:

Willwillwritehiswill:

Yes, yes and YES!! I was gutted I missed Mastodon, they changed stage cos they were scheduled to be on the main stage originally I think, and that messed it up for me :S

Either way, it was a killer weekend!

Sightless Wisdom:

Rusty Bucket:

Not always good. Sometimes it makes hip-hop/rap fans think they can make metal, that's pretty much where metalcore came from. Although Lamb of God isn't metalcore and they're truthfully fucking brilliant.

Corrected that statement for you :P The new album is probably my least favorite, although it has a couple of amazing tracks, the rest are fairly average...

I thought their new albu was great. Admittedly not much changed from Sacrament, it was more of just an upgrade than a whole new album, but it's still a great listen. Actually, i was surprised at how good LOG's lyrics are, it's not really somehthing you expect from that sort of band.

Rusty Bucket:

Sightless Wisdom:

Rusty Bucket:

That's not really where metalcore came from at all. And i don't see what's wrong with metalcore. I don't really like it, there's way better music out there, but if it wasn't for that genre i wouldn't be enjoying death metal today. Getting metal more recognition is definitely a good thing, the more people that listen to it, the better. Metalcore is a very effective gateway for that.

Well metalcore IS just a mix of hip-hop and metal. Deny it if you want but that's how it is. Agreeably it's not absoloutley terrible, not like say...country music. But still not good in my opinion. In any case I suppose it does get some people(like you evidently) into death metal and that's surely a good thing. Actually I think Death metal is the only new metal that's good. I havn't heard a decent threash band from any time after the 80's so it's pretty much up to death and power metal now.

Rusty Bucket:

I thought their new albu was great. Admittedly not much changed from Sacrament, it was more of just an upgrade than a whole new album, but it's still a great listen. Actually, i was surprised at how good LOG's lyrics are, it's not really somehthing you expect from that sort of band.

I don't dislike Wrath, its just not on the same level as the others, for me at least. Probably because as you so rightly said, not much has changed. I like all of the other albums a bit more because they all have their own sound ands style. And as far as their lyrics go I agree. They have some really well thought out lyrics, Randy is great at coming up with metaphors :D

Has anyone been to any of the Summer Slaugter tour this year? I went in Montreal, it was great fun despite the few bands I didn't like, seeing Ensiferum was well worth it.

Now for some shameless advertising: The Escapist Headbangers group needs more members, come join it's open to everyone.

pantallica95:

You'll come around in a while. Metallica is a huge gateway band. After you get into stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, and Testament, you'll get into Pantera, and that will get you past your apparent aversion to screaming. Thats what happend to me at least. Now I loves me some death metal : )

That is pretty much exactly what happened to me. First it was Metallica, then Pantera, then the floodgates opened :D

However, I have now come out the other side it seems, and I hardly listen to any death or black metal any more. Its not that I don't like it, I'll still enjoy a bit of 1349 or Satyricon now and then, but I just cant seem to take the more extreme vocal styles (especially those in death metal, the growls etc.) seriously any more...

But then I've really got into country music recently, so I guess my opinion on this is invalid :P

Wadders:

pantallica95:

That is pretty much exactly what happened to me. First it was Metallica, then Pantera, then the floodgates opened :D

However, I have now come out the other side it seems, and I hardly listen to any death or black metal any more. Its not that I don't like it, I'll still enjoy a bit of 1349 or Satyricon now and then, but I just cant seem to take the more extreme vocal styles (especially those in death metal, the growls etc.) seriously any more...

But then I've really got into country music recently, so I guess my opinion on this is invalid :P

Depends on what kind of country. Taylor Swift kind then yes, your opinion is not valid. Johnny Cash kind, then yes, you still have a place in this thread : )

pantallica95:

Wadders:

pantallica95:

Depends on what kind of country. Taylor Swift kind then yes, your opinion is not valid. Johnny Cash kind, then yes, you still have a place in this thread : )

Exactly. Johnny Cash passes because he's blues type country...and all his songs don't sound the same.Unlike todays crappy sound-alike country.

Sightless Wisdom:

Well metalcore IS just a mix of hip-hop and metal. Deny it if you want but that's how it is. Agreeably it's not absoloutley terrible, not like say...country music. But still not good in my opinion. In any case I suppose it does get some people(like you evidently) into death metal and that's surely a good thing. Actually I think Death metal is the only new metal that's good. I havn't heard a decent threash band from any time after the 80's so it's pretty much up to death and power metal now.

No its not. Its hardcore punk and metal. Your thinking of nu-metal. Korn, Limp Bizkit etc. They rap and have electronic elements. Metalcore bands do not.

pantallica95:

Sightless Wisdom:

No its not. Its hardcore punk and metal. Your thinking of nu-metal. Korn, Limp Bizkit etc. They rap and have electronic elements. Metalcore bands do not.

Agh damn your right...I got them confused because I like neither :P. Well in any case I revise my earlier statement : More popularity can be bad because it may have been what created nu-metal. There, all better.

pantallica95:

Sightless Wisdom:

Exactly. Johnny Cash passes because he's blues type country...and all his songs don't sound the same.Unlike todays crappy sound-alike country.

Not sure who Taylor Swift is...

But it was Cash who got me into country :D Hes the man, but I also like Waylon Jennings, Travis Tritt, all three of the Hank Williams's, Merle Haggard, and George Jones, amongst others.

Basically, if its real country, not pop country or the manufactured sounding stuff thats over produced.

EDIT: OK I checked out some Taylor Swift, and that shit isn't country, its pop. End of.

Wadders:

pantallica95:

Sightless Wisdom:

Not sure who Taylor Swift is...

But it was Cash who got me into country :D Hes the man, but I also like Waylon Jennings, Travis Tritt, all three of the Hank Williams's, Merle Haggard, and George Jones, amongst others.

Basically, if its real country, not pop country or the manufactured sounding stuff thats over produced.

EDIT: OK I checked out some Taylor Swift, and that shit isn't country, its pop. End of.

thats how all country sounds nowadays...you have to listen to Cash and the other greats.

I'm into alot of things, though what I actively listen to is mostly underground stuff. At the moment the only widely known bands I've been listening to lately is Gorgoroth and Burzum.

Listening to slavic folk metal band Tverd at the time of writing this.

pantallica95:

thats how all country sounds nowadays...you have to listen to Cash and the other greats.

Goddamn...

I guess because country is never on the radio over here in the UK I don't get exposed to it in its new, bastardized format, so I was unaware of how god-awful it's become.

Thank fuck.

I'll just keep on listening to the old greats, as you put it :D

Anyways, BACK TO THE METAL!

Anyone here like Clutch? Not sure what sub genre they come under, never was a member of the genre police, but at a guess I'd say blues metal?

Wadders:

pantallica95:

Goddamn...

I guess because country is never on the radio over here in the UK I don't get exposed to it in its new, bastardized format, so I was unaware of how god-awful it's become.

Thank fuck.

Right you are! Tally-ho and whatnot!

I have Down's NOLA album, so which one of the other two should i buy next? Do you guys think Down II or Down III?

pantallica95:

Wadders:

pantallica95:

Goddamn...

Thank fuck.

Right you are! Tally-ho and whatnot!

I have Down's NOLA album, so which one of the other two should i buy next? Do you guys think Down II or Down III?

BOTH!

But I'd get Down II, cos it feel like a sequel to the first album. I know that sounds weird, but its the only way I can describe it. then once your familiar with it, get Over the Under (Down III)

Edited for spelling. I said squeal instead of sequel _

0ne word, metallica!

o ya and deth clock from metalocolypse, not sure they ae a real band though

Not Good:
Metal I enjoy:

Thrash
Death
Black
Progressive
Grunge
Doom

Metalcore
Deathcore
Nu-Metal
Alt Metal
Newer American
Symphonic Black
Grindcore
Power
Hair
Classic

these here are pretty much my choices, with some exceptions in the Nu-Metal, and core categories...not a grindcore fan, electrogrind sucks ((it's for the emo's, no offense to anybody here)) and i also enjoy plain old symphonic metal, melodic styles, and folk metal ((KORPIKLAANI FTW!!!!!))

open trap:
0ne word, metallica!

o ya and deth clock from metalocolypse, not sure they ae a real band though

*Sigh*

This is why metalheads have a bad name. Please use proper grammar next time. Also you might want to consider you know...thinking before you post.

Not Good:
Metal I enjoy:

Thrash
Death
Black
Progressive
Grunge
Doom

Metalcore
Deathcore
Nu-Metal
Alt Metal
Newer American

Symphonic Black
Grindcore
Power
Hair
Classic

There's my slightly larger list of my metal preference.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked