Ideas to help Make the Escapist Great Again

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Zontar:

gigastar:

You do know about Pro Crastinators, dont you?

Those are the people hes friends with, and wants to work with in his enclave project.

I was not aware of that, and given the number of subscribers it has coupled with how many views its videos have neither is the vast majority of the audiences of each of those creators.

His secondary channel does better then that.

I think thats the point. In the video i linked earlier he says he watches virtually all the anime youtubers content, and therefore by that process he must have come across smaller channels who do good work (in his opinion) and part of his enclave project is him hiring these creators to produce more content.

Youll certainly see alot more of the Pro Crastinators as Digi moves forward with his plan.

Bedinsis:

His name is Moviebob, and he makes weekly videos of pop culture analysis. I have a feeling his content would be right up the Escapist community's alley; I frequently see comments on his videos that has the same user name and avatar as members on these forums.

Nah, since economic concerns are an issue, you could probably find someone to rant about "scorching the Earth" in order to get rid of "subhuman evolutionary dead ends" at any number of street corners for a much better price. Possibly even in costume.

And speaking of economic concerns, this is probably not going to make me very popular, but how about dem free PubClub subs? Why not give the community a chance to monetarily support The Escapist by joining for a change? I mean, it's been well over a year. As "Fuck You" gestures by admittedly callously dismissed former employees go, this one has been tolerated for a remarkably long time already.

Honestly I'm mostly just here for Yahtzee. Wherever he goes, I go.
(I think the staff here might be aware of that).

The Escapist needs a tech team, and resources. Some day the whole thing is going to fall apart without any warning.

Though, we could build more Yahtzees and make Sarkeesian pay for it, or something.

gigastar:

Canadamus Prime:
We this site needs first and foremost is a tech team. Also since most YouTubers can now make a living off of YouTube (ContentID notwithstanding) there is no need for them to sign on with the Escapist.

Actually most youtubers make money through Patreon, GoFuindMe and superchat donations during streams.

Ad revenue was never reliable, and in recent months since the PewDiePie incident, its outright unsustainable.

Either way there's no need to sign on with the Escapist.

Zontar:

Canadamus Prime:
We this site needs first and foremost is a tech team. Also since most YouTubers can now make a living off of YouTube (ContentID notwithstanding) there is no need for them to sign on with the Escapist.

Cecil seemed to be more then happy to do it, and that was before the advent of the adpocalypse.

I'm not familiar with most of the names you mention, but I'm pretty sure they're quite happy not being under the Escapist's thumb.

StatusNil:

Bedinsis:

His name is Moviebob, and he makes weekly videos of pop culture analysis. I have a feeling his content would be right up the Escapist community's alley; I frequently see comments on his videos that has the same user name and avatar as members on these forums.

Nah, since economic concerns are an issue, you could probably find someone to rant about "scorching the Earth" in order to get rid of "subhuman evolutionary dead ends" at any number of street corners for a much better price. Possibly even in costume.

And speaking of economic concerns, this is probably not going to make me very popular, but how about dem free PubClub subs? Why not give the community a chance to monetarily support The Escapist by joining for a change? I mean, it's been well over a year. As "Fuck You" gestures by admittedly callously dismissed former employees go, this one has been tolerated for a remarkably long time already.

Maybe they need a tech team to sort that out given a tech team was the one who (weirdly) had the power to do it in the first place? The mods don't have that kind of access and the Admins are... doing whatever the fuck the Admins are doing.

Or there's some weird legalities involved that'd make the cost of charging people again too risky. The more I find out about the American legal system the more it seems a case of 'this thing I didn't actually pay for that was given to me out of spite by a third party was taken away and now I'm mad' would have an actual leg to stand on.

Or, it's just not that major an economic concern - I don't know how many people were given free PubClubs, but its probably not too significant a number given it was mostly veteran users who received it. Factoring in the number of them who've stopped visiting/posting and the influx of new users over the year(s?) since the PubClubs were given out, it might just be too insignificant an issue to bother dealing with. Just roll the numbers into the revenue loss from Ad-Blockers and call it a day, really.

I am with those who say a tech team. I think the forum can survive much on its own, I just think the spambots, the out of date cover page, and the various minor but numerous bugs are the real sinkers.

That and maybe a desire by the higher ups that this place does stay afloat.

I think with that and an inward focus, could do wonders. I think alot of our own users would be more than willing and capable of bringing more life to the site, if we had the power to let them.

Former Contributors like Marter were once just users posting their own content. I think we need to encourage more of that.

StatusNil:

Bedinsis:

My post assumed that no money would exchange hands. That was the whole purpose of the post; since it is quite obvious that the Escapist cannot continue to finance contributors/start financing additional ones then looking for existing shows that might be of interest for the Escapist and asking if they'd be willing to have the show displayed for exposure is the most realistic scenario. And as far as I remember, he has not said anything of that sort in his current shows.

Zontar:
I'm sorry, but the myth that GG is what killed this site despite what had already been years of a downward trend in both it and the industry needs to got away. Especially given how the people who drove away traffic are constantly ignored since they are "on the right side of history".

I agree.

Now, while I don't have all the answers to your question of "why exactly did the user base decline?" I can tell you why I became a lot less engaged with the site from 2009-2012, when I stopped posting in the forums all together(only recently came back) and the only thing I watched on the site was ZP.

Firstly, forum moderation went into overdrive. Previously, I was enjoying trolling, insulting people, and posting highly politically incorrect opinions in religion and politics section. At some point around 2010-2011 they implemented stifling moderation. Now, I can hear you say "well good riddance," but understand that myself and many users were driven out or scared off by the new rules and, at the time, I wasn't willing to change my behavior, so I went somewhere else to shitpost and have petty internet arguments. I've tempered myself slightly since then, however there are still a few users I've seen who could use a good browbeat.

Secondly, content. In 2010 I was watching ZP, old Unforgotten Realms stuff, Doraleous & Associates, Extra Credits, moviebob's movie review show, drinking games, and most importantly all of Loading Ready Run's content(and later the Jimquisition). With the exception of ZP, all of this content either dried up(doraleous & associates), became garbage(moviebob), or moved out. When it moved out, I followed. I wasn't coming back to see what the new content was, I was following what I already liked and I hear this was the right move as the Escapist didn't find quality content to replace what they lost.

Now, to address the main question of, "how do you fix things?" You can't; there's no way out of this. The departing content makers took their audience with them and the Escapist is incapable of financing the next Yahtzee while Patreon exists. It's astounding to me that Yahtzee's still here, they must pay him more than all the other content makers combined, or his need for "official" validation of his content is much stronger than he let on.

BUILD A WALL and deport all neckbeards

This site should just become the Zero punctuation website, with some extra content provided by other people. Its obvious the site is still alive because of Yahtzee.

I think Adam Jensen hit the heart of it: the issue is money. No ad/subscriber revenue, no content. I'm not going to play armchair quarterback and suggest that if the Escapist had done this or this it wouldn't now be in the position it's in today; some of the things it's done may have been beneficial, some detrimental, but I don't think it's as easily charted as some would like to believe.

But the cold reality is that we've seen a second wave of contributors come on and then abruptly be laid off. I don't think one could seriously argue that they were removed on a basis of quality; indeed, I don't think they entirely got a chance to see where the quality of their work might plateau.

As for what might be done, I will continue banging my usual drum: Bring back the Escapist Film Festival, already. Maybe the Escapist can't even offer a long-term contract at market rates at this point, but it could at least rally its current user base and perhaps even bring in some new and curious bypassers. And I refuse to believe that there isn't still a warehouse crate of E-hats that could be given out as prizes.

It's also one of the few sources for content where there's a legitimate chance that someone might be willing to work for exposure and increased visibility of their Patreon account.

Make Yahtzee the head administrator.

No Razorfist, pls. His prose is some of the most purple shit I have heard on the internet and he has unbearably terrible taste. Plus, he just exudes pure edgelord essence. No thanks.

OT: I say we build a wall around R&P and make them pay for it.

I miss the articles from off of 2010. Much cheaper, pay change by the submission and can be banged out much quicker.

And put the WW down like a sick pet.

The reason I came to this site in the first place is still the only reason why I'm even here:
Yahtzee.
Never really cared or watched the other stuff.
Some Critical Miss/Erin now and then.

What would make me leave (and watch ZP on youtube instead) is them removing my free pubclub.
I've enjoyed the Wild West too much so if they do remove that they'd better open WW to all forumites.

As for generating income..
Maybe offer up a starting place for new webcomics. Split ad-revenue and merchandise sales.
Escapists would offer critique and tell others of great comics here or tell budding artists.
It could also serve as a place for Stories/Novels like HFY or other text-based literature.

I'm sure there are ample ways to fix the current situation.
Once the traffic comes the first things they should do though is hire a tech-team.

bjj hero:

NOTE: The above statement refers to the Wild West forum, not the Wild Wasteland roleplay. Anyone taking suggestions in an official capacity, DO NOT confuse them!

FalloutJack:

bjj hero:

NOTE: The above statement refers to the Wild West forum, not the Wild Wasteland roleplay. Anyone taking suggestions in an official capacity, DO NOT confuse them!

Why? Wild West is a wonderful place. It's a subforum of peace.

Callate:

But the cold reality is that we've seen a second wave of contributors come on and then abruptly be laid off. I don't think one could seriously argue that they were removed on a basis of quality; indeed, I don't think they entirely got a chance to see where the quality of their work might plateau.

The jaded part of me wants to say that the second wave of contributors were hired solely on the cynical base that they were people that were sort of (if not outright) pro-GamerGate. It was a brazen attempt to draw more of the GG crowd towards the Escapist, one of the few "traditional" sites that hadn't put up rules against discussing or promoting GG. Arguably, GamerGate supports didn't show up in the numbers necessary to sustain the Escapist and so these contributors were laid off rather quickly because the quality of their content never mattered, what mattered was that they (supposedly) appealed to a demographic that was open to exploitation.

I think it was a bad call because GG doesn't want to be near any traditional gaming media, no matter if they might be pro-GG or not, and most GGers would likely be put off from coming here after seeing the huge ban waves that the GG discussions caused and the vocal minority on the forums that vehemently disagreed with GG. The Escapist gambled on manipulating and exploiting a group that maintained it didn't want to be manipulated and exploited by traditional media anymore as one of its' core principles and failed.

Zontar:

FalloutJack:

bjj hero:

Really? A forum where I could cuss you out for such a long stretch that if the FCC got a hold of it, the bleeping-out noise would sound like a test of the emergency broadcast system? You want that? I may have posted there for shits and giggles, but it's not necessary. Besides, any respectable haven of scum and villainy should have a Mos Eisley Cantina band in it, and the Escapist won't shell out!

(Also, you should be quoting Bjj, as I simply made a clarification.)

EDIT: Never mind.

FalloutJack:

Zontar:

FalloutJack:

Really? A forum where I could cuss you out for such a long stretch that if the FCC got a hold of it, the bleeping-out noise would sound like a test of the emergency broadcast system? You want that? I may have posted there for shits and giggles, but it's not necessary. Besides, any respectable haven of scum and villainy should have a Mos Eisley Cantina band in it, and the Escapist won't shell out!

the ww is like 80% avatar above you threads, 15% random life updates and shitposting and 5% Zontar trying to make his own version of /pol/ because he isn't getting the attention he wants in the real one.

its toothless

undeadsuitor:

FalloutJack:

Zontar:

the ww is like 80% avatar above you threads, 15% random life updates and shitposting and 5% Zontar trying to make his own version of /pol/ because he isn't getting the attention he wants in the real one.

its toothless

Sssh! I'm taking the piss on this! Don't worry about it!

Build a wall and make the spambots pay for it!

Nuke it from orbit.

Build a wall and make Gamergate pay for it.

I mean, they pretty much want this place to be their personal hugbox anyway, best make it official.

Choppaduel:
It's astounding to me that Yahtzee's still here, they must pay him more than all the other content makers combined, or his need for "official" validation of his content is much stronger than he let on.

Could be that he's under contract and as long as they're paying he can't leave. But there's no way in hell that they're paying him more than what he could make on his own.

Callate:
I'm not going to play armchair quarterback and suggest that if the Escapist had done this or this it wouldn't now be in the position it's in today; some of the things it's done may have been beneficial, some detrimental, but I don't think it's as easily charted as some would like to believe.

Yeah, it's difficult to point at exactly what went wrong. The Escapist is not the only gaming website with financial issues. It's a very hard business to sustain, so it may not be something that they did or didn't do. It could be that there's simply nothing to do. I remember one of my favorite gaming channels on YouTube in recent history only lasted for a few years - Rev3Games with Adam Sessler and Tara Long (among others). It was terrific, they even had amazing interviews with game creators and other gaming journalists and the content was really high quality. It didn't matter, they went under.

FalloutJack:

bjj hero:

im not allowed to poke them .. i asked haha

Official dark theme please

Those cosplay articles could use an actual gallery made out of lightbox or the like

Site sponsored community competitions - the community hub is fairly fleshed out so why not?
Practically a social media site minus profile commenting and journal/blogs

Example: MS paint batman via mouse
Badges as prizes or something

Up and coming types like Digibro wouldn't want to risk alienating their base by moving content focus onto a different site. I'm pretty sure Razor hates traditional media and would want nothing to do with it, also he has the MovieBob problem of being a controversy waiting to happen.

If they want new content providers they're going to need to find some very new and mentor them up. Maybe have some sort of community competition to find people with potential, but all of that would take resources I don't think the Escapist has.

Me and the staff are working on ways to improve the badge system, along with how often we can get quizzes rolling. While I have dished out some hit / miss quizzes as of lately, at least you guys will get content far more often than what we used to get in the past (6 - 9 month hiatus of no quizzes ...) so yeah lol.

How to make Escapist great again? Less moderation. It needs to be as much like 8/pol/ as possible.

For a starter, maybe some of us should stop using ad-block? (Yeah, like that will ever happen..)

Caramel Frappe:
Me and the staff are working on ways to improve the badge system, along with how often we can get quizzes rolling. While I have dished out some hit / miss quizzes as of lately, at least you guys will get content far more often than what we used to get in the past (6 - 9 month hiatus of no quizzes ...) so yeah lol.

No offence Caramel, but while that's nice for those of us already here and deep into the site's culture, that isn't really going to attract new people. It'll just make those of us here a bit less likely to leave.

RedRockRun:
How to make Escapist great again? Less moderation. It needs to be as much like 8/pol/ as possible.

This I can get behind, though save for pornography I've been doing my part to turn WW into just that.

Zontar:

Caramel Frappe:

No offence Caramel, but while that's nice for those of us already here and deep into the site's culture, that isn't really going to attract new people. It'll just make those of us here a bit less likely to leave.

Every step counts my friend :) besides, we're also looking into ways in drawing new people to the site. First thing's first however, is improving what we've already established to make you oldies long time members happier, no? You're our community, so we have to appreciate the devoted members while looking to hook new ones!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here