Tom Ripley, a man leaning against a wall in front of a shop. The picture is black and white.

Why Is Netflix’s Ripley Series Black and White?

Netflix’s Ripley series is here, but if you’ve seen the trailers, you might have noticed something a little different, at least compared to the movies that featured Patricia Highsmith’s character. So, if you’re wondering why Netflix’s Ripley series is in black and white, I’ve got the answer.

Recommended Videos

Why Is Netflix’s Ripley Series Black and White?

Netflix’s Ripley series is black and white because it’s an artistic choice by the show’s creator. It’s not like The Mist or Godzilla Minus One, where there’s a color version and, later on, a black-and-white version is released. The default version of Ripley is black and white, and that’s the version you’ll get on Netflix.

Speaking to Variety, the show’s writer-director Steven Zaillian explained that his choice stemmed from a book cover. “The edition of the Ripley book I had on my desk had an evocative black-and-white photograph on the cover,” he explains. “As I was writing, I held that image in my mind. Black and white fits this story—and it’s gorgeous.”

Does that mean there’s a full color version of the series? Almost certainly. The show would have been shot in full color, and later, in post-production, the black and white filter would have been applied. However, that doesn’t mean Joe Public is going to get to see that version, ever.

Related: All Major Actors & Cast Members for Netflix’s Ripley

Sometimes, as in the case of The Mist and Mad Max: Fury Road, you’ll get a Blu-Ray release that features both versions. But unless Netflix follows Disney+’s lead and starts putting out its digital shows on Blu-Ray, that probably won’t happen. The streamer could, in theory, put out the color version on its platform, but I doubt that’s going to happen any time soon.

So, the answer to why Netflix’s Ripley series is black and white is that it’s a choice by the writer/director based on his own experience with one of Patricia Highsmith’s Ripley books.

Ripley streams on Netflix starting Apr. 4.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Dead Boy Detectives Builds on the Sandman Universe in a Brilliant Way
Dead Boy Detectives
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Are Prime Sentinels?
Bolivar Trask's Prime Sentinel form in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Is the OZT?
Rogue looking at screens with the OZT logo in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Related Content
Read Article Dead Boy Detectives Builds on the Sandman Universe in a Brilliant Way
Dead Boy Detectives
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Are Prime Sentinels?
Bolivar Trask's Prime Sentinel form in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Read Article X-Men ’97: What Is the OZT?
Rogue looking at screens with the OZT logo in X-Men '97 Season 1, Episode 7, "Bright Eyes"
Author
Chris McMullen
Chris McMullen is a freelance contributor at The Escapist and has been with the site since 2020. He returned to writing about games following several career changes, with his most recent stint lasting five-plus years. He hopes that, through his writing work, he settles the karmic debt he incurred by persuading his parents to buy a Mega CD. Outside of The Escapist, Chris covers news and more for GameSpew. He's also been published at such sites as VG247, Space, and more. His tastes run to horror, the post-apocalyptic, and beyond, though he'll tackle most things that aren't exclusively sports-based. At Escapist, he's covered such games as Infinite Craft, Lies of P, Starfield, and numerous other major titles.