Milo Entertainment Inc. reportedly lays off entire staff

Pages 1 2 NEXT

From Politico:
"Running out of money and down on his luck, right-wing provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos laid off the small staff of Milo Entertainment Inc. earlier this month, according to three people familiar with the situation. Yiannopoulos' company has fallen on hard times ever since his former patrons, Robert and Rebekah Mercer, severed their financial backing last year."
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/04/27/yiannopoulos-business-implodes-after-death-of-crypto-billionaire-557456

According to Politico, those layoffs include Alexander Macris. However...
"Despite their termination from Milo Entertainment, [Chadwick] Moore and Macris retain interests in Milo Worldwide. Yiannopoulos said Moore and Macris were terminated from Milo Entertainment because of the costs of their health care, but that he had increased their compensation through Milo Worldwide to compensate for the move."

So I guess Milo *Worldwide* is still operational even though Milo *Entertainment* is basically gone. So they got that going for them, which is nice...

On a related point, does anyone have an update on the current situation with the Escapist? Has there been any movement on selling the site/restaffing/etc? Is Macris still involved in some capacity or is he totally gone?

Now we just need "Milo Worldwide" to collapse and I will celebrate in earnest.

I didn't even know Milo had a company.

It just occurred to me that I'm pretty sure this is the first thread I've actually started on this forum despite being active here for the last five years.

I guess that goes to show how much I despise the people involved with this bomb-throwing alt-right shock jock and his ilk, and who I hold responsible for the cratering of The Escapist.

Silentpony:
I didn't even know Milo had a company.

He's had (and maybe still has) plenty of companies.

Like every member of the right-wing elite, he's deeply aware that companies are superb vehicles for money-making, even if just for tax avoidance etc. ... or for instance making money from a company by not paying its staff, then flogging it to another media organisation for personal profit (like his first attempt, The Kernel).

Because, you know, that's business in the wheeler-dealer world of entrepreneurs. The capitalist entrrepreneur who accepts the risk of investment in start-ups is a mug given all the ways it can be passed onto proles such as employees.

So is he a Catholic or Jew this week?

Wow, it's kind of sad it had to end like this. You have to feel bad for the guy.

I guess after the Mercers pulled funding he was looking for a saviour in these dirty streets, but his balloon couldn't stay up in a perfectly windy sky. It's sad that all these precious things bleed and wash away, but still, I guess it beats being silent all these years.

I bet it sucks though. I mean, things are going to change so fast. It doesn't take much to rip us into pieces.

evilthecat:
Wow, it's kind of sad it had to end like this. You have to feel bad for the guy.

You really don't. His life's work consisted entirely of cnynically spouting extremist propaganda that made the life of a whole lot of sexual, religious and ethnic minorities a lot worse. He and everyone who worked with him should be in prison. Losing money is overall a lot better than he deserves.

Smithnikov:
So is he a Catholic or Jew this week?

A catholic. A jew would have known how to run a business.

PsychedelicDiamond:
You really don't. His life's work consisted entirely of cnynically spouting extremist propaganda that made the life of a whole lot of sexual, religious and ethnic minorities a lot worse. He and everyone who worked with him should be in prison. Losing money is overall a lot better than he deserves.

So, a long time before he became famous or decided to pretend to be a journalist on daddy's money, before I even just encountered him losing an argument against Boy George while lying on national television about gay marriage, Milo published a book of poetry called Eskimo Papoose under the name Milo Andreas Wagner. It's a fascinating collection of "poetry" in the loosest possible sense of the word and one recurring theme is the use, without attribution, of lyrics from numerous songs, most notably 90s Tori Amos songs.

See, Milo was kind of obsessed with Tori Amos for a while (around the same time he was obsessed with Hitler) and I've always found that very funny and very revealing. Like, imagine this person who is basically a pathologically fake, superficial, narcissistic, self-loathing and emotionally vacuous misogynist listening to and identifying with a deeply feminist singer-songwriter most famous for writing deeply personal songs aimed at and almost universally enjoyed by women. It's just a funny mental image.

For me, it's a little chink in the armour of Milo's public persona. Milo's entire schtick is to go for other people's emotional weaknesses and vulnerability while exposing nothing genuine of himself, allowing other people to believe he's just a "jester". Eskimo Papoose, however, is genuine. Even in its terribleness, it wasn't a joke. Milo actually listened to all these songs and thought they were about him. He thought they were so much about him that he filled his own book of angsty poetry with references to them. That level of cringe is beautiful, and I will never, ever stop reminding his fans of it.

Who knew that being a Nazi-Lite and a pedophile apologist would be bad for your career?

Exley97:

On a related point, does anyone have an update on the current situation with the Escapist? Has there been any movement on selling the site/restaffing/etc? Is Macris still involved in some capacity or is he totally gone?

Macris moved on within Defy some 2 years ago. As for the sight itself, you might have noticed that the Latest Content sidebar (technically bottom bar, I suppose) has been filling up with these Press Releases, though we have no idea who writes them. A bunch of site functionality also came back recently, such as the thread view count and quote notifications (re-activate if it is still disabled for you). So something is happening behind the scenes, but no one here seems to be any wiser about what.

Gethsemani:

Exley97:

Macris moved on within Defy some 2 years ago. As for the sight itself, you might have noticed that the Latest Content sidebar (technically bottom bar, I suppose) has been filling up with these Press Releases, though we have no idea who writes them. A bunch of site functionality also came back recently, such as the thread view count and quote notifications (re-activate if it is still disabled for you). So something is happening behind the scenes, but no one here seems to be any wiser about what.

Good to know, wasn't sure if he was still involved with Defy in some capacity.

Also, no, I sure didn't see the press releases, or some of the restored site functionality. That's....odd.

evilthecat:

No you don't.

He's a pretty textbook example of Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword. That is, if "by the sword" means acting like an obnoxious, bigoted jerk.

evilthecat:

PsychedelicDiamond:

So, a long time before he became famous or decided to pretend to be a journalist on daddy's money, before I even just encountered him losing an argument against Boy George while lying on national television about gay marriage, Milo published a book of poetry called Eskimo Papoose under the name Milo Andreas Wagner. It's a fascinating collection of "poetry" in the loosest possible sense of the word and one recurring theme is the use, without attribution, of lyrics from numerous songs, most notably 90s Tori Amos songs.

See, Milo was kind of obsessed with Tori Amos for a while (around the same time he was obsessed with Hitler) and I've always found that very funny and very revealing. Like, imagine this person who is basically a pathologically fake, superficial, narcissistic, self-loathing and emotionally vacuous misogynist listening to and identifying with a deeply feminist singer-songwriter most famous for writing deeply personal songs aimed at and almost universally enjoyed by women. It's just a funny mental image.

For me, it's a little chink in the armour of Milo's public persona. Milo's entire schtick is to go for other people's emotional weaknesses and vulnerability while exposing nothing genuine of himself, allowing other people to believe he's just a "jester". Eskimo Papoose, however, is genuine. Even in its terribleness, it wasn't a joke. Milo actually listened to all these songs and thought they were about him. He thought they were so much about him that he filled his own book of angsty poetry with references to them. That level of cringe is beautiful, and I will never, ever stop reminding his fans of it.

Learning that has made my day, sir. Thank you.

evilthecat:

Nope! *does a jig on his empire's grave*

Smithnikov:

No you don't.

He's a pretty textbook example of Live by the Sword, Die by the Sword. That is, if "by the sword" means acting like an obnoxious, bigoted jerk.

Well, maybe.

I wonder with many terrible people, are they terrible in a sympathetic way, or in a despicable way?

Like that Martin Shkreli guy. Is he just a shitbag, or is he perhaps a guy with deep problems who built up a persona in order to cope, and then overcompensated on this persona when drunk on his own success? Is he now in his prison cell, genuinely humbled and reconsidering his life? Maybe we'll discover when he gets out. Likewise, perhaps Milo is deep down a deeply unhappy and conflicted person. Growing up feeling alienated from the world of the elites he was raised into, and pushed by this urge to create an outrageous outer skin of success, devil-may-care attitude and brio to cover the soft, gooey inside that felt so vulnerable and out-of-place?

Doesn't make all the shit he's got up to okay, of course. But we can consider him potentially in a more complex fashion than unmitigated scum.

What ever happened to that money that was supposed to go to a white privilege scholarship? Did that ever materialize or has it disappeared?

CM156:
What ever happened to that money that was supposed to go to a white privilege scholarship? Did that ever materialize or has it disappeared?

PR scam - nothing was likely to come of that. Certainly not through Milo, who's speciality is showy superficiality.

It would be very hard to make a scholarship with restricted entry. What right-wingers could more realistically do is donate endowments to universities to fund chairs in specific fields. More usually, however, when they want to advance certain ideas they appear to skip academia entirely and fund think-tanks that will say exactly what they want.

evilthecat:

It kind of creeped me out, personally. I imagine some creepy stalker writing that shit, and honestly I have to imagine all the people that know him and have to deal with him have that in their headspace. I will say I never picked up ton the Tori Amos connection. I kind ofgot lost with Jews and werewolves. Apparently you spent more time analyzing it than I did. I read about 8 of them and it felt like angsty teenager territory.

And frankly it speaks volumes about the times he tried and failed to pick a fight with various people at The Wired and The Guardian back before he piledrived The Kernel and his sole ownership of Sentinel Media into the ground and his 'friend' abandoned ship after unlisted 'differences' at the firm.

That being said it feels kind of like punching downwards to make fun of people when they are obviously at their seemingly most insecure due their latent narcissism.

I more so try to remind his fans of him being a twice university drop out and his string of failed, borderline criminal ventures (if not actually passing that very low bar entirely). Because those are actual moral failures rather than aspects of mental illness.

That being said I do find it funny that one of the top Google results for Eskimo Papoose is forNew Zealand natural death walrus ivory jewelry ...which feels wrong for 50 different reasons, but humourous enough.

Agema:

Doesn't make all the shit he's got up to okay, of course. But we can consider him potentially in a more complex fashion than unmitigated scum.

I don't think this is unfair. I don't have any sympathy for Yiannopoulos regarding his current situation -- he's had ample opportunity to reflect upon and make amends for his conduct over the last four-plus years, and he's hurt a lot of people in his quest to become a media brand. But he wasn't always like this, and it's worth examining *how* he arrived at this point.
I've posted about this Buzzfeed article before, and it bears mentioning again because it's a pretty fascinating look at how he went from someone who actually *did* have ethical lines he wouldn't cross to someone who became an attack dog for Breitbart and the alt-right, and who guided him in that conversion (i.e., Steve Bannon).
https://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/heres-how-breitbart-and-milo-smuggled-white-nationalism

Exley97:
It just occurred to me that I'm pretty sure this is the first thread I've actually started on this forum despite being active here for the last five years.

I guess that goes to show how much I despise the people involved with this bomb-throwing alt-right shock jock and his ilk, and who I hold responsible for the cratering of The Escapist.

Or your lack of pastimes.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

evilthecat:

It kind of creeped me out, personally. I imagine some creepy stalker writing that shit, and honestly I have to imagine all the people that know him and have to deal with him have that in their headspace. I will say I never picked up ton the Tori Amos connection. I kind ofgot lost with Jews and werewolves. Apparently you spent more time analyzing it than I did. I read about 8 of them and it felt like angsty teenager territory.

And frankly it speaks volumes about the times he tried and failed to pick a fight with various people at The Wired and The Guardian back before he piledrived The Kernel and his sole ownership of Sentinel Media into the ground and his 'friend' abandoned ship after unlisted 'differences' at the firm.

That being said it feels kind of like punching downwards to make fun of people when they are obviously at their seemingly most insecure due their latent narcissism.

I more so try to remind his fans of him being a twice university drop out and his string of failed, borderline criminal ventures (if not actually passing that very low bar entirely). Because those are actual moral failures rather than aspects of mental illness.

That being said I do find it funny that one of the top Google results for Eskimo Papoose is forNew Zealand natural death walrus ivory jewelry ...which feels wrong for 50 different reasons, but humourous enough.

When did we get this "Don't punch down" mentality? We don't punch the undeserving. It doesn't matter if a deserving target is up or down.
Also, when did we become against cultural integration and get into this separate the races "Cultural appropriation" thing?

Agema:

Like that Martin Shkreli guy. Is he just a shitbag, or is he perhaps a guy with deep problems who built up a persona in order to cope, and then overcompensated on this persona when drunk on his own success? Is he now in his prison cell, genuinely humbled and reconsidering his life? Maybe we'll discover when he gets out. Likewise, perhaps Milo is deep down a deeply unhappy and conflicted person. Growing up feeling alienated from the world of the elites he was raised into, and pushed by this urge to create an outrageous outer skin of success, devil-may-care attitude and brio to cover the soft, gooey inside that felt so vulnerable and out-of-place?

Does he afford the people he taunts, bullies and insults the same courtesies?

No. He does not.

So he deserves none in return.

Not a single post of this clip?

You guys needs to get on your A game.

Smithnikov:

Does he afford the people he taunts, bullies and insults the same courtesies?

No. He does not.

So he deserves none in return.

Not thus far, to the best of my knowledge.

But I'm a believer in the principle that remorse and reform merit being given due reappraisal, and a second chance.

Well, good riddance.

CM156:

The money vanished; the scholarship never appeared.

Yiannopolous has a history of making poor business decisions, living beyond his means, and also not paying his bills. I am not at all surprised that his latest venture has failed, because the man's greatest talent is simply getting people's attention and then convincing a creditor that he deserves a loan.

A lot like some other person whose name I simply cannot recall right now, perhaps due to the flashes of white-hot anger that ravage my tender amygdala whenever s/he is brought up.

Souplex:
When did we get this "Don't punch down" mentality? We don't punch the undeserving. It doesn't matter if a deserving target is up or down.
Also, when did we become against cultural integration and get into this separate the races "Cultural appropriation" thing?

Huh? I am so very much confused.

HAHAHAHAHA

https://gizmodo.com/area-man-obscure-sidekick-asked-to-leave-google-fibers-1826028038

[catches breath, reads again]

HAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, there aren't many outcomes most delicious than watching this hack degrade himself further by resorting to desperate stunts with ALEX FUCKING JONES.

Exley97:
HAHAHAHAHA

https://gizmodo.com/area-man-obscure-sidekick-asked-to-leave-google-fibers-1826028038

[catches breath, reads again]

HAHAHAHAHA

Seriously, there aren't many outcomes most delicious than watching this hack degrade himself further by resorting to desperate stunts with ALEX FUCKING JONES.

Milo is proof that the government put chemicals in the water that turn people gay.
Alex Jones was right.
We're breaking the conditioning.

CM156:

Milo is proof that the government put chemicals in the water that turn people gay.
Alex Jones was right.
We're breaking the conditioning.

I'm pretty sure Milo is proof gay people can hate themselves, and that Republicans will throw money at them as if justification other gay people can and should hate themselves for being gay.

I'm also pretty sure Milo is proof that some gay people can choose money over pride and self-esteem. Hence Alex Jones...

Agema:

Smithnikov:

No you don't.

Well, maybe.

I wonder with many terrible people, are they terrible in a sympathetic way, or in a despicable way?

Shkerli didn't get done for what everyone thought he did. He got jailed for something else, similar to Capone. He made other people pay for his decisions. And, unfortunately, there will never be justice for that. Even if he's remorseful, it won't be about how he screwed over people in dire straits.

But similarly, there are many Big Parma companies that do the same as Shkreli and I don't know why he was picked out of a gang of corrupt CEOs.

Milo has hurt a lot of people. And he made money of it. I don't know why people pay him to inflict pain on others.

trunkage:

Milo has hurt a lot of people. And he made money of it. I don't know why people pay him to inflict pain on others.

He lives off the Bob Chipman principle; there are no bad tactics, only bad targets.

This is the fate of all big trolls. Massive spike in popularity from all the offended people talking about them when the lightning strikes. Followed by fade to obscurity when the people he offended stop clicking and all that's left in the viewer base is the few troll's actual fans.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here