Do you think this is a terrible thing?
Yes of course.
56.7% (55)
56.7% (55)
No, people are allowed to raise their children however they please.
10.3% (10)
10.3% (10)
No, of course not.
2.1% (2)
2.1% (2)
Yes, this is just wrong.
26.8% (26)
26.8% (26)
I'm not sure.
4.1% (4)
4.1% (4)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Alright this is it human race.

Pages PREV 1 2

BathorysGraveland:
They're okay by my book. I value freedom for all people, and that freedom extends to views, opinions and beliefs, be they positive or negative. If a family or parent hates homosexuals and wishes to bring their children up that way, that's fine, I believe they have every right to. Now, if they went out and committed violence against homosexuals or harassed them, then that definitely is not fine.

As for the picketing of funerals, that's a bit of a grey line for me. On the one hand, sure, they should be allowed to voice their opinion but on the other hard, that is more or less harassing the people who are there, so I can't give a completely concrete opinion on that issue. It's one that needs some more thought from me.

Couldn't disagree more, and frankly I think you and many others have it back-asswards. There shouldn't really be any question whether or not they can do their shitty pickets; as long as they don't break a specific law, and as long as people are also allowed to counterprotest them, what they're doing has to be permitted.

But raising children is NOT a matter of free speech. The point most people fail to understand is that, while allowing parents to raise their children however they wish evidently respects the freedom of the parent, it is extremely damaging to the freedom of the child. Children are not capable of determining whether their parents' views are sane, or if they're something the child wishes to associate themselves with, they just accept them, because they are hard-wired to do so. Children, especially young children, have a genetic imperative to be susceptible to being brainwashed by their parents, because the little baby Ancient Hominids who didn't listen when mummy told them not to go down there or in there or across there got fucking eaten. The vast, vast majority of children won't even consider beginning to question their parents' values and beliefs until well into their teens, if at all, and by then those values and beliefs can have consequences.

I'm sure quite a lot of the homophobic little shits in American schools who helped bully a gay kid to suicide later recognise how disgusting their actions were, but by then the kid is already dead, and they now have to live with their role in that death.

So the question to my mind is not one of freedom, but responsibility. To whom does society have a greater responsibility; a bigoted(and thus incompetent) parent, or the child of that parent?

Well, vile and heinous as it is, such statements are and should be protected speech.

Certainly there was no practical gain from legal interference to be had either; The complete lack of ethos in how it's made already destroys any and all potential that actual harm could come to gays due to this statement.

As for the children wearing it? Meh, as long as they don't turn out to be gay, there's nothing to indicate that they'll be mistreated. Indoctrinated, sure, but unless the methods used for that are proven more harmful to the child than becoming a ward of the state, the state have no business interfering. Children can't really get much emotional care from anyone who's employed and paid to look after them (...often along with plenty other children), so there is good reason in leaving them with the parents as long as it's at all feasible.

One cannot steal away people's children simply because one disagrees to no end with the values they are taught, or because one think it would be "better for society" if they were not raised to be zealous bigots. The state does not function as a child snatcher to its dissidents, and thank god the liberal civil rights democracy for that.

Imperator_DK:
Well, vile and heinous as it is, such statements are and should be protected speech.

Certainly there was no practical gain from legal interference to be had either; The complete lack of ethos in how it's made already destroys any and all potential that actual harm could come to gays due to this statement.

As for the children wearing it? Meh, as long as they don't turn out to be gay, there's nothing to indicate that they'll be mistreated. Indoctrinated, sure, but unless the methods used for that are proven more harmful to the child than becoming a ward of the state, the state have no business interfering. Children can't really get much emotional care from anyone who's employed and paid to look after them (...often along with plenty other children), so there is good reason in leaving them with the parents as long as it's at all feasible.

One cannot steal away people's children simply because one disagrees to no end with the values they are taught, or because one think it would be "better for society" if they were not raised to be zealous bigots. The state does not function as a child snatcher to its dissidents, and thank god the liberal civil rights democracy for that.

I disagree. Completely. I think all indoctrination is bad, but this isn't just indoctrination. This is indoctrination into a hateful cult, which in my eyes is tantamount to child abuse. These people are literally ruining their children's lives with this.

Stagnant:
I disagree. Completely. I think all indoctrination is bad, but this isn't just indoctrination. This is indoctrination into a hateful cult, which in my eyes is tantamount to child abuse. These people are literally ruining their children's lives with this.

Are you a child psychologist with copious empirical evidence to back up the claim that such political/religious indoctrination is - either inherently or in the case at hand - completely analogous to child abuse?

Or are you going to support snatching away people's children based on your own uneducated beliefs, mired in your dislike for the parents and the ideology the children are raised in as those are?

Get a professional evaluation saying that these specific children are being harmed by this to the extent that becoming wards of the state is a preferable alternative to remaining with their parents. We'll then - and only then - have no disagreement over their removal from the custody of them.

*TWITCH* ...I want to stab something now. I mean, it might be a parent's right to raise them one way, but in this case they should know better!

I agree. Cult is good....

Turning your kids into a political statement just to stir up controversy is just sickening. (And, no, I dont believe anyone should use their children for politics), kids are not old enough to make those decisions. You have no idea what your kids are going to grow up and think, and while you may try and influence them, it often just makes them go the other way to rebel.
I feel sorry for those kids, and hope that one day they can escape their cultish upbringings, but sadly I think it unlikely.

So, here is some mind-bleach to get you thinking of happier things:

Looook at the puppy!

As A side note, I recently figured out that the Southern Poverty Law Center, the group that tracks and defines various groups, actually has Westboro classified as a hate group...which would put them on par with the Neo-Nazis and the KKK...

BOOM headshot65:
As A side note, I recently figured out that the Southern Poverty Law Center, the group that tracks and defines various groups, actually has Westboro classified as a hate group...which would put them on par with the Neo-Nazis and the KKK...

Oh good, can we run them out of town with pickforks, torches and lots of rock throwing? I mean it's only fair....

Angelblaze:
Oh good, can we run them out of town with pickforks, torches and lots of rock throwing? I mean it's only fair....

Well, that has already been happening to some extent. No, not chasing them mob style, but there have been people who have banned together in order to block them out (especially after the supreme court said Westboro were protected by free speech).

For instance, there was one time when they were in Oklahoma, they had to spend the night, but all hotels in town refused to house them. Then, when they come back from picketing, they find all the tires on thier vans slashed. They try calling some wrecker companies and repair shops, they all they were "busy". And in another town, they passed a "law" that said you couldnt protest within X yards of a funeral for the day...after Westboro had started picketing, so they all got arrested. And there is the Patriot Guard, a group of motorcycle riders who go everywhere Westboro goes, and block them from the funeral itself by flying American Flags and playing Pariotic Music, as well as some gay rights groups who follow them everywhere they go, which results in some pretty funny pictures:

I love how the westboro guy is just looking at him like "WTF??"

The sad thing is, the more people ban together to stop them, and the more hate gets sent back at them, the more they spew hate. Most people around here think that it is because they think they are right and that people are just too scared to follow them.

WBC did something blatantly intolerant?

OMGOMGOMGOMG THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE!!

EVERYONE GOOGLE SEARCH THEM AND GIVE THEM LOADS OF TRAFFIC!

Hazy992:
This reminds me of that neo nazi scumbag that got her twin daughters to sing anti-Semitic songs as a duo. It's disgusting.

Your thinking of Prussina Blue, the girls now reject those beliefs, the mother was a white Sepratist not a nazi.

Olie Warr:

Hazy992:
This reminds me of that neo nazi scumbag that got her twin daughters to sing anti-Semitic songs as a duo. It's disgusting.

Your thinking of Prussina Blue, the girls now reject those beliefs, the mother was a white Sepratist not a nazi.

Oh ok. Well I saw them on a documentary about neo nazis so I just assumed

Which one do I choose if I want to say: "Yes of course, this is just wrong"?

I'm not sure.

Yes, I do think it's wrong, but this judgement is based on the same arbitrary grounds that would make them frown upon my own set of beliefs.

I really never understood why god hates cigarettes, I mean they weren't even around during the writing of the bible..

Anyway, yeah I'm cool with this as long as I can wear a top saying "your god is wrong" to counter them.. I doubt I'll be allowed to do that.
Also hasn't the WBC had its day yet, I don't know about you Americans, but if anyone picketed the funeral of a soldier in England for any reason you can probably expect the right-wing media to have metaphorically crucified you by the end of the week, as well as incurring the wrath of some off-duty soldiers

What lessons can be learned from the WBC : the losers are always the loudest

It's ironic that these people are probably pro-life because "the foetus doesn't get a say in it", and yet they think that indoctrinating children to be homophobes is ok.

BOOM headshot65:

I love how the westboro guy is just looking at him like "WTF??"

That's brilliant - I think the caption should be "Why are you atheists so damn disrespectful?"

This happens a lot within a lot of different groups.

I eyeroll whenever I see kids that small at protests, no matter what the issue.

I hope that when I have kids I'll refrain from getting them personally involved in my politics. It's manipulative and rather sick, IMO.

LMAO.

This is a friend of mines catch phrase that he starts shouting when gay rights campaigners get on the news.
(usually followed by "I know i'm going to hell for that, but it's true").

Now I'm sure a load of you uptight types are all going to be screaming homophobe.
But er.. this chappie has reputation for trying it on with the boys himself.

I'm always glad to see that there are still people with balls enough to stand up against political corrects. As opposed to the little shrimpy dick types with their mock outrage.

Angelblaze:
Christian or Atheist, woman or man, democrat or republician....I don't think my faith in humanity can last much longer after seeing this picture.

Are people HONESTLY putting their children in these shirts? And then putting it on the internet like it's something to brag about? I personally think this is a terrible thing to do, especially to your child because now your enforcing YOUR hatred on them (God never says in the bible that he hates homosexuals) I mean really, who is raising these kids? Scott Lively? AFTAH? Please tell me it's not One Million Moms.....

At least the girl on the left looks like shes not enjoying herself....

I guess it's better than not clothing them.
Indoctrinating your children is a right parents and guardians have, just because I don't agree with the message or ideology or religious view doesn't make this criminal or immoral.
Neither girl looks very pleased to be caught up in their parents world view.
This is just an extreme of what children everywhere have to endure, very few children get to make up their own mind when it comes to religion.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked