Bill O'Reilly loses what little credibility had remained over Gangnam Style! Some Psychiatrist, too.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Time for something light-hearted with extremely low serious political value.

It's not like O'Reilly had much credibility to begin with in my eyes. Then it took a massively major hit over "tide goes in, tide goes out"; I couldn't look at him without sniggering from that point onwards. But at least that was about a natural phenomenon that has fascinated humanity for thousands of years before we discovered the reasons for it. We even prayed to gods over ebb and flood, after all.
This is worse:

Yup. Apparently, there's no such thing as non-English lyrics in music. Unintelligible words? Or no words? No meaning? What's his view on "Ode an die Freude"?

Nothing but gibberish, I say!

Now, I'm not going to make Gangnam Style out to be this great song or anything (the second video is there purely for comedic effect, not for actual comparison; just in case, you never know), with its social commentary on wanna-be rich lifestyle zombies, but these two clowns couldn't even be bothered to look up a translation on google? A summary of its content? Or at least the simple fact that it's sung in Korean?
Is it dangerous? Are you kidding me? And the guy says "yes, it's like a drug, a miniature version"?
Well, PsyyyyyYYYYYYYYYY [sic O'Reilly] is the much more credible commentator, clearly.
Whaddaya folks think?

Captcha: all singing
Everybody now! OPPAN GANGNAM STYLE!
...or something.

Holy shit, even Captcha is into Psy. O_O

Anyway, to add to the fire, The Young Turks on Bill O Reilly on Gangnam Style.

Ot: question, why would Fox News Bother?
No really, Why?
Heheh, Son of Facebook...

Diablo1099:
Heheh, Son of Facebook...

He'd probably like that. Hell, he's probably making a new music video about just that right now.

That shrink should lose his license. Comparing gangnam style with drugs?!
And if that shrink had done a bit more of research he would have known many like gangnam style because it is ridiculous and funny, it's not popular because it's just "empty" and "meaningless".

You know, if Bill here knew what the lyrics meant, he might just love it.

PSY sings about the overpopularity of Starbucks-esque coffee shops in Gangnam.

Generally, people like Bill hate Starbucks and the like.

So, hypothetically, if Bill knew that part of this song ridiculed modern coffee chains in Korea, he might be pleased.

Last I checked, that was a form of dramatic irony.

I don't see the news here. Bill O'Reily lost any shred of credibility a looooooooong time ago. Criticizing a pop-song won't make me think any less of him. He just can't go lower.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Kieth Ablow MD. This is nothing new for the good Fox doctor. This is what he does. You should see some of his reports on issues concerning homosexuality and religious institutions, not to mention child rearing.

This is just something they tried to do to fill airtime and royally screwed it it. Not only was there no research but frankly its just insulting to describe non-english lyrics as giberish, especially given that they know he is Korean and lives in Korea. Why they couldn't put two and two together and say oh the lyrics must be in Korean is just baffling to the point where it almost seems like it must be intentional.

Oh Fox....oh Fox oh Fox oh Fox.

And here I thought you couldn't outdo "Mass Effect has explicit sex scenes", "Why can't we kill all feminists" and "Lesbian street gangs are taking over the cities of America".

I'm no fan of K-Pop. It just isn't my thing. All I've learned about it has been from a friend who's become a pretty big fan of it recently (and thankfully not of the "shove it down your throat" variety). But even from what little residual knowledge I have of the genre, it points to the fact that neither Billy boy or Ablow can be troubled to research the topics they want to declare themselves authorities on. Which is a pretty good summation of Fox News op/eds in and of it'self.

Bill o'Reilly is a freaking nutjob and a sensationalist right-wing ignorant twat. He never had any credibility. If anything, he's entered the negative scale of credibility, which is an achievement in itself. Congratulations Bill-o.

Meaningless? That's outrageous. 'Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey sexy laaady' is a message that touches the hearts of all humankind.

this guy. so.. does he think english is the only language or something? i don't think i need to tear this guy apart. there's enough intelligent people in the world that'll do that for me.

So much laughter from me. But also, so much crying.

I cry in laughter. I laugh with my tears.

I... I don't know what to make of this. I must ascend to the highest temples of the Himalayas to seek my soul. Seriously, what the funken waggler Fox? What the funken waggler...

GunsmithKitten:

Thank you for that mental image.

Regarding Bill O'Reilly, I'm amazed he's still going. I would have thought he'd have died of a self-induced heart-attack by now. Surely he belongs in some carpeted ward somewhere, gently mumbling things like "'Murrica", "Turrism" and "Murgnits" to himself.

Pebble:

GunsmithKitten:

Regarding Bill O'Reilly, I'm amazed he's still going. I would have thought he'd have died of a self-induced heart-attack by now. Surely he belongs in some carpeted ward somewhere, gently mumbling things like "'Murrica", "Turrism" and "Murgnits" to himself.

Right wing cabals are loathe to ever let their Squealers go.

For goodness sake, Pastor Bob Enyart had to subject listeners to years worth of talk where he openly called for the US Government to be overthrown and replaced with a Christian monarchy, where all crimes (including homosexuality and sex before marriage) were punished either with flogging or death before he got thrown off the air.

The fact that Micheal Savage, a man who's openly called for public execution of several political figures, has called catholic schoolgirls who wanted to feed the homeless "girls who are actively seeking to get raped, it's a thrill for them." and that you can cure autism by "smack him and tell him to quit acting like a little idiot!", a guy even O'Rielly himself says is "nothing but a merchant of hate." is still on the air too should tell you that.

ClockworkPenguin:
Meaningless? That's outrageous. 'Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey sexy laaady' is a message that touches the hearts of all humankind.

I read you giving permission to touch sexy ladies... ALRIGHTY!

OT: Crazy, old madman being old and crazy. Send him to a home, I have it on good authority that that is where you send people once you stop caring about them and their opinions.

GunsmithKitten:

Pebble:

GunsmithKitten:

Right wing cabals are loathe to ever let their Squealers go.

For goodness sake, Pastor Bob Enyart had to subject listeners to years worth of talk where he openly called for the US Government to be overthrown and replaced with a Christian monarchy, where all crimes (including homosexuality and sex before marriage) were punished either with flogging or death before he got thrown off the air.

The fact that Micheal Savage, a man even O'Rielly himself says is "nothing but a merchant of hate." is still on the air too should tell you that.

Oh my. I just looked that man up. He sounds like a real piece of work. I would love to find out one day why it is that so many of these people seem to be rich and successful in the United States, rather than being laughed off television and radio like they would be in the UK and (most of) Europe. For years the answer has been completely beyond me.

I learned that Savage fellow was barred from entry to the UK for his little speeches, so I suppose the US is really his only option. I am saddened to add two more names to the list of people who frankly frighten the heck out of me.

This just in *Slowpoke jpg.* Faux News looses credibility over song. Jimmies rustle softly across the pop music world. Looting in L.A.

I'm not surprised really. It's sad that this barely even bleeps on the Outrage Meter™.

As a fun exercise read what's going on underneath.

"Fourth person in CA dies from eating poisonous mushrooms"

Bill O'Reilly had credibility?

I thought he lost it all after the "Tides, you can't explain that."

This just seams par for the course to me.

Sometimes you have to wonder if people actively go out of their way to be a fucking idiot.

Otherwise I dunno, it's unfortunate that it keeps happening.

The jury is still out on how much of his own kool-aid Rush Limbaugh has drank, but nothing will ever convince me that Bill O'Reilly is anything but a massive troll.

I'm not outraged at this at all . In fact, I'm burying my head on my two palms just trying to comprehend the pretentious bull coming out of the psychiatrist's mouth.

The fault here lies more with Bill O' Reilly's guest, but I guess we can pin O'Reilly for bringing a moronic psychiatrist onto the show, and actually agreeing with what he said. Sad really, how people from a past generation tries to theorize a modern cultural trend in the most garbled way possible.
And this is the highest rated news network on Cable.

It's not like this is a big deal. It's just his opinion on an opinion show.

If this had happened on one of their more news-oriented shows like Special Report or something, THEN it would be shocking. But since that didn't happen, this is just ordinary opinion show BS.

as someone who has listened predominately to electronic dance music (with very few lyrics) for a period of time that must accumulatively amount to literally years...

Fox is bullshit? Really?

Though I like how the guy claims it's approaching a billion views. Technically not wrong, but fuck off.

w9496:

If this had happened on one of their more news-oriented shows like Special Report or something, THEN it would be shocking. But since that didn't happen, this is just ordinary opinion show BS.

It speaks ill of his intelligence.

Dijkstra:

w9496:

So? There are a lot of stupid talk show hosts.

Opinion show hosts display their opinions and that is fine. If you disagree with one, then don't watch.

w9496:

Dijkstra:

w9496:

Opinion show hosts display their opinions and that is fine. If you disagree with one, then don't watch.

What do you mean 'don't watch'? You make it sound like I was trying to take him off the air or someone else was. It's a comment on it. It may be hard for you to realize it, but no action need be suggested or taken just because I note it makes him an idiot

w9496:

Dijkstra:

w9496:

He didn't just state his opinion, he said some things that were factually wrong like how the song has no words or meaning. Apparently the only language in the world is english and everything else is gibberish.

Xan Krieger:

w9496:

Dijkstra:

He didn't just state his opinion, he said some things that were factually wrong like how the song has no words or meaning. Apparently the only language in the world is english and everything else is gibberish.

He was very wrong on that, and to be honest I forgot about that part until you brought it up.

Xan Krieger:

w9496:

Dijkstra:

In a spirit of fairness, these lyrics don't strike me as particularly meaningful. And I'd imagine the 800 million views didn't come mostly from people who understood the lyrics or who felt moved by the words. Same is true for a lot of music, of course.

Seanchaidh:
In a spirit of fairness, these lyrics don't strike me as particularly meaningful. And I'd imagine the 800 million views didn't come mostly from people who understood the lyrics or who felt moved by the words. Same is true for a lot of music, of course.

To counterpoint. If all people are looking for is vacuous Korean lyrics, then why this song? There are thousands of asian pop songs which are basically variations on the same insipid bollocks (sorry Asian pop fans, but it's true). If people just wanted something with a beat and some incomprehensible lyrics, it would have happened a long time ago.

It's not really the song which is the hit, it's the video, and the point of the video is very clear even without considering the lyrics or the context of what Gangnam is.

You can watch the video and see that it's a pisstake of aspirational music videos. We've all seen enough manufactured pop videos depicting over-styled people in extravagant situations to know the universal language of how they work and it's pretty obvious when that's being sent up. Yeah, it's not a deep and meaningful song about deep inner feelings, but it's a series of visual jokes which clearly have charm and appeal, not just "it has a beat and nonsense lyrics".

The real unforgivable thing for me though is not knowing where Pyongyang is (or for that matter getting its name right). I mean, this guy is supposed to be a political commentator, how the fuck does he not know the capital of one of the most politically significant countries of the present day? Yeah sure, you can say "there are stupid talk show hosts", we have them here too, but they're generally hosting entertainment shows rather than anything masquerading as serious political or social commentary.

i wasn going to be like "anyone still interviews o'reilly? seriuosly?" then i saw fox news..... all is clear.

To counterpoint. If all people are looking for is vacuous Korean lyrics, then why this song? There are thousands of asian pop songs which are basically variations on the same insipid bollocks (sorry Asian pop fans, but it's true). If people just wanted something with a beat and some incomprehensible lyrics, it would have happened a long time ago.

it did. we call ir "Rap culture".

It appears im the only person in the world that HATED this song the first time i saw it, or so everyone tells me. the north korea version is the only watchable.

Yeah sure, you can say "there are stupid talk show hosts", we have them here too, but they're generally hosting entertainment shows rather than anything masquerading as serious political or social commentary.

this is Fox, stupid entertainment shows is all they CAN do.

evilthecat:

Um...they do. Have you not listened to popular music in...well, ever? :-P

Not a Bill O'Reilly fan by any stretch of the imagination.

But O'Reilly called it harmless, mindless, fun. Which considering I'm usually drunk as hell when I want to watch it is probably rather accurate for a lot of viewers.

It was the stupid "psychiatrist" that was trying to claim it was harmful and dangerous.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked