Journey of the Accursed: A Dark Souls RP (closed, PM if interested)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

"Already here friend..."

Marcus turned his head from the window and noticed the door to his cell opened, and on the other side a small, at least compared to him everything was small, robed young lady judging by the voice. He smiled underneath his helm and chuckled. Just as she was about warn him about the floor being old and decayed, Marcus had boasted in triumph.

"AH! Fantastic! You opened the door! Now I can get back to my duty."

He leaned out the window and called out. "DERRICK! Come! We are free at long last!"

The bird Derrick tweeted and flew out of the slender women's hand through the window. Meanwhile Marcus walked over to other side of the room to grab his gear, a tower knights shield that he placed over his back, a large great axe that he held on his right shoulder, and an rather old pick axe that he placed in a holster around his belt. He turned to to greet his savior proper.

"Thank you kindly! Now I must be off! Come Derrick!"

He rushes forward with great posterity, walking through the door and onto the old wooden floor. After one step he started to hear the floor crack and stopped.

"Uh oh... that wasn't like that before."

He took a deep breath and turned his head to the young lady.

"Wait here... " He said in a slow deep voice.

As soon as he took the next step the floor started to crack more underneath his feet. He probably should have taken much more lighter gear to be honest. After the third step he heard the chirps of his pet bird Derrick. The bird flew around his head, indicating that it wanted to have a seat in his nest. Marcus' eyes widened.

"No! Noooooo!... Bad Derrick Bad!"

Sadly it was too late, the bird landed on top of his head and the weight of the two gave through causing Marcus to break through the floor boards. Derrick managed to keep flight just before falling. Marcus at first managed to stay partially stuck through the floor at first, but fell right through the floor boards after a few seconds and right onto his back, giving off a low pitched scream as he fell. Luckily it was only a few feet but it still hurt a good bit. Although the pain was extraordinary, his armour managed to take most of the damage... except for the pain that is.

"...uggghhhhh....bloody...hell.", he said dazed and confused as he looked up towards the hole he fell through from.

With a crash and a scream, a heavily armored figured fell from the ceiling and landed but a few feet away from Caelius. Startled, he leaped backwards, though he still did not feel any need to draw his weapon. It occurred to him that this must be the man who had been shouting, and he didn't seem like much of a threat at all. From his comical onion helmet (complete with a birds nest atop it!) to his clumsy entrance, the fallen knight seemed remarkably harmless, and the cleric felt perfectly safe in approaching him.

"...uggghhhhh....bloody...hell."

It hadn't been a terribly lengthy fall, but the weight of such preposterous armor must have only added to the damage. Caelius walked over to the man and extended his hand, in order to help him rise once he had regained his strength.

"Are you alright, friend? That was quite an entrance you made there," he said, chuckling. "I am Caelius of Thorolund, a cleric of the Way of White, and protector of the faith. I see by your armor that you are a knight of Catarina, but might I ask your name?"

"...uggghhhhh....bloody...hell."Avina put her head in her hand as the onion knight fell through the floor. She shook her head and tried, but failed, not to laugh. She peered through the whole the knight had created. "I tried to warn you!" She called after him. She slowly moved across the rotting floorboards once more, safely making it to the ladder.

She slid down and made her way to where the group was now gathering around the knight.

"Are you alright, friend? That was quite an entrance you made there. I am Caelius of Thorolund, a cleric of the Way of White, and protector of the faith. I see by your armor that you are a knight of Catarina, but might I ask your name?" She extended her hand towards the knight, offering help. "And I am Avina of The Great Swamp. And I really hope this isn't a habit of yours."

Dazed and confused Marcus saw the Cleric lean over and speak to him, followed by the Swamp Girl.

"Are you alright, friend? That was quite an entrance you made there. I am Caelius of Thorolund, a cleric of the Way of White, and protector of the faith. I see by your armor that you are a knight of Catarina, but might I ask your name?"

"And I am Avina of The Great Swamp. And I really hope this isn't a habit of yours."

The two of them extended their hands in aide, but Marcus declined by waving his hand and grunting.

"Aye thank ya, but I think I got it.", he said as he wobbled and struggled to get back up, though mostly it was due to the bruising on his back... and mostly his cumbersome armour.

It was not out of rudeness mind you, but simply because he didn't want to accidentally pull too hard on them and bring them crashing to the floor. Simply put, he didn't exactly know how strong he was. He began to pick himself up, as per usual in his line of work, sitting up and shaking his head. He turned to the cleric and spoke in a slow but deep voice.

"My name is Marcus, and uh... I suppose you can say that I'm an adventurer!

He then turned his head towards the young lady Avina.

"And yes ma'm, it is kinda difficult for me not to... especially with all of them monsters about... poor sods.", he said with a sigh.

After a few moments of struggle, he picked himself up, standing fairly tall, brushed off his armour, and turned to the cleric and pyromancer, looking down to them.

"But in all due respect, I thank you kindly... It is hard to admit... but even I get stuck sometimes.", He boasts chuckling.

As he laughed, Derrick the bird sat on the edge of the hole that Marcus made and began to tweet a bit here and there. Almost there after, just he flew off out of sight from the rest of the party. Marcus had not noticed this however as he continued to speak.

"You said you was a member of the way of the white correct? Well I am humbled! I knew of one of yours as well, as I traveled with a group of them to this place... well until we got separated that is..."

Caelius quizzically tilted his head to one side as the small bird climbed inside Marcus' helmet, and the man seemed to take no notice whatsoever. However, he was further puzzled by the knight's next statement.

"You said you was a member of the way of the white correct? Well I am humbled! I knew of one of yours as well, as I traveled with a group of them to this place... well, until we got separated that is..."

"Hm, curious," he said. "I was not informed of any other expeditions of the faith coming this way. Do you, by any chance, know for what purpose they were here?"

Travis was once again struck speechless as a pair of legs crashed through the ceiling, shortly followed by the rest of the body of a man clad fully in armor customary of country of Catarina. The onion shaped armor was oft ridiculed by the knights of Astora who quite fancied their elegant, form fitting platemail. At least they did until they had to face a Catarinian in battle. Though not particularly harder to penetrate than other plates, the design of Catarina made it so that a weapon had to be plunged several inches deep before it could so much as cause the wearer a scratch, the large pockets of empty space used as a sort of armor all their own. This came at a cost of restricted and awkward movement, but veterans who knew how to cope with those weaknesses were tough and dangerous opponents, or staunch allies.

Pleasantries were exchanged as the self proclaimed adventurer got to his feet, and the group began to probe the newcomer with questions.

"Hm, curious. I was not informed of any other expeditions of the faith coming this way. Do you, by any chance, know for what purpose they were here?"

"It is unlikely of them to keep you, an undead, informed of sensitive church business. Cleric or not, the accursed are not trusted in the world we used to call home. I do know that expeditions are sent here with some regularity and all are sent for the same purpose we were. Most countries are quite eager to be rid of their undead, and for Astora, these expeditions represent an opportunity to retake what was lost. Though, we have since given up on anything ever coming of these expeditions. However I am surprised that two expeditions were begun so close together that we would already catch up with some of it's party. How long were you stuck in there Marcus?"

"Hm, curious, I was not informed of any other expeditions of the faith coming this way. Do you, by any chance, know for what purpose they were here?"

Marcus looked towards Caelius, is head and helm moving as one. He then shrugged and responded,

"Can't say I do... they told me that they needed help and I offered my axe to them."

He rubbed the side of his head, trying to recall something important.

"My memory has always been off... t'was always like this, ever since I was young." He said with a chuckle.

The knight Travis then walked forward and spoke informatively, explaining more elaborately on the situation at hand. Until he asked...

"How long were you stuck in there Marcus?"

Marcus laughed a bit, hoping that his next answer wouldn't by any means worry them.

"Oh! About three days at least... give or take. But it wasn't stuck in there by accident if thats what ya mean! Our party were attacked by something... something wicked. And well... I heard the door slam behind me just as everyone else got attacked! And I can be darn sure that it wasn't the wind that did it either!"

He looked around the church until he noticed in the distance a dead body of a robed man of some kind, dead and lying off to the side of the church. He pointed towards the body to show the others.

"That was Callos me thinks... he was always weak in the knees... I hope the others are alright."

-Isis-

As Avina continued to try and assist their new arrival, Marcus, Isis couldn't help but simply watch the spectacle, first of the large, Catarina man stepped out from where he had been trapped. He stepped out onto the rotting floorboards of the ruined churches second level, only to hear the cracking of the wood beneath him. Then the bird, who she was convinced was the Derrick he had been speaking of, decided to fly over.

The assassin took a single step forward and opened her mouth to say something, but she paused and closed her mouth again. What happened next was nothing short of comical. The bird, deciding it was past time to go back to what was invariably his nest atop Marcus' helmet, was the little bit of weight that was needed to cause Marcus to crash down through the floor, and onto the ground level.

Shaking her head, she stepped forward as soon as the dust settled. Caelius was the first to lean over the Knights fallen form and introduced himself, followed by Avina, and both offered their hands to help him up.

Marcus politely declined before helping himself up, before properly introducing himself as well.

"My name is Marcus, and uh... I suppose you can say that I'm an adventurer! And yes ma'm, it is kinda difficult for me not to... especially with all of them monsters about... poor sods. But in all due respect, I thank you kindly... It is hard to admit... but even I get stuck sometimes. You said you was a member of the way of the white correct? Well I am humbled! I knew of one of yours as well, as I traveled with a group of them to this place... well until we got separated that is...".

Isis tilted her head at that. He had been on another expedition, apparently one that had started not long before theirs had, considering he had only gotten this far. Given the reputation of Catarina Knights, surely he had to have gotten farther if the expedition had gone out longer before their own. And it seemed that Caelius found it odd as well.

"Hm, curious. I was not informed of any other expeditions of the faith coming this way. Do you, by any chance, know for what purpose they were here?".

At that, Travis seemed to shake his head, and explained that undead, even Clerics, were hardly trusted by the properly living, and said that he was likely uninformed of Church intentions. Isis found it sad, yet true, especially given the accounts her mother told her when she was younger.

"How long were you stuck in there Marcus?".

At Travis' question, Marcus turned to the knight and answered promptly, before pointing at a nearby robed corpse.

"Oh! About three days at least... give or take. But it wasn't stuck in there by accident if thats what ya mean! Our party were attacked by something... something wicked. And well... I heard the door slam behind me just as everyone else got attacked! And I can be darn sure that it wasn't the wind that did it either! That was Callos me thinks... he was always weak in the knees... I hope the others are alright.".

With a small sigh, Isis nodded and reached to her side for the Ivory Talisman. "We can pray to Gwyn for them. In the meantime however, we should rest, regroup, and make a plan of action to get to the Archives. If the things that managed to trap you in there are still around the township, and I would be willing to bet they are, we need to be cautious, and keep on our guard.", she said, before stepping forward and holding out a hand to him.

"I am Isis, of Carim. It's a pleasure, since I've yet to meet someone from Catarina. Very distinctive armor.", she pointed out, smiling a little wider beneath her porcelain headpiece.

Even though Avina had gone to help the man, it seemed his bad luck wasn't over quite yet. With a wrong step, and perhaps, although unlikely, the extra weight of the bird, the man fell through the floor, and hit the ground. Rang looked towards the fallen man, worried.

"...uggghhhhh....bloody...hell."

"A-are you... fine?" he asked, but it was barely a whisper. The others started speaking before Rang could summon the courage to speak louder.

"Are you alright, friend? That was quite an entrance you made there. I am Caelius of Thorolund, a cleric of the Way of White, and protector of the faith. I see by your armor that you are a knight of Catarina, but might I ask your name?"

"And I am Avina of The Great Swamp. And I really hope this isn't a habit of yours."

The strange man seemed to be fine, as he started speaking as well. His armor was... peculiar.
"My name is Marcus, and uh... I suppose you can say that I'm an adventurer!

Adventurer? Here?

Rang didn't doubt what the man had to say, they had to trust people, after all.

Although, what sort of adventurer?

"You said you was a member of the way of the white correct? Well I am humbled! I knew of one of yours as well, as I traveled with a group of them to this place... well until we got separated that is..."

"Hm, curious. I was not informed of any other expeditions of the faith coming this way. Do you, by any chance, know for what purpose they were here?"

"It is unlikely of them to keep you, an undead, informed of sensitive church business. Cleric or not, the accursed are not trusted in the world we used to call home. I do know that expeditions are sent here with some regularity and all are sent for the same purpose we were. Most countries are quite eager to be rid of their undead, and for Astora, these expeditions represent an opportunity to retake what was lost. Though, we have since given up on anything ever coming of these expeditions. However I am surprised that two expeditions were begun so close together that we would already catch up with some of it's party. How long were you stuck in there Marcus?"

Rang looked between the people speaking, being careful with not making eye-contact, despite that he wanted to say something. Perhaps he would be able to, soon?

"Can't say I do... they told me that they needed help and I offered my axe to them."

"I am Isis, of Carim. It's a pleasure, since I've yet to meet someone from Catarina. Very distinctive armor."

Everyone's introducing themselves to him...

Rang decided that he had to do the same, and walked over to the man named Marcus, eyes kept on the ground.

"H-hello, I'm Rang," he muttered. "Are you okay?"

Turning around Marcus noticed two other members of the party, one being a rather slender looking women, the other being a rather jittery looking wizard. He turned to them both as the tall women began to speak.

"We can pray to Gwyn for them. In the meantime however, we should rest, regroup, and make a plan of action to get to the Archives. If the things that managed to trap you in there are still around the township, and I would be willing to bet they are, we need to be cautious, and keep on our guard."

Marcus nodded, he couldn't agree more. Though he may have realized that he had imposed on their time, perhaps he could offer his help in some way. He thought for a minute about asking until the tall women walked toward him. She held out her hand towards Marcus, just as the wizard seemed to inch closer and closer nervously.

"I am Isis, of Carim. It's a pleasure, since I've yet to meet someone from Catarina. Very distinctive armor."

Marcus looked at her hand and gave it a firm handshake.

"Hohooo! Not many do Miss...er Isis was it? Normally outside folk just considered us as oddities...Me? I like to consider our kind...hmmm..."

He paused for a minute, still shaking her hand.

"..mmmm... AH! Yes! Brave warriors of sorts, if you can find that easy to believe."

He laughed for a bit and let go of his grip, until he took notice to the small wizard.

"H-hello, I'm Rang, Are you okay?"

"Hmm? Why yes I feel fine as ever, thank you!", He said with confidence.

He began to look over the wizard up and down. Truth be told, he found magic rather intriguing, though he never fancied himself ever doing something so out there. He was however concerned about the wizard Rang, as he thought he was giving off a bad impression.

"Yet you seem quite the opposite? Are you ill? Maybe I have something to help you!"

He began to search the back pouch of his armour, specifically for a mushroom of sorts that was said to have healing properties... and some off side effects. But his search was fruitless, as the pouch was empty... the last of his food was gone, and with good timing considering he too was also hungry.

"Bugger! I ran out of the mushrooms... oh well, say you all seem rather kind in helping me thus far, would it be possible if I join you for the short while. If you are part of a similar group my company was before, then perhaps we share a similar goal in mind! Why, you could almost say it was fate really.

Marcus bursted out a rather loud laugh, he couldn't help but find this situation rather amusing. Meanwhile however, the bird Derrick, was fluttering around the other end of the church, out of sight and out of mind.

"Hohooo! Not many do Miss...er Isis was it? Normally outside folk just considered us as oddities...Me? I like to consider our kind...hmmm....mmmm... AH! Yes! Brave warriors of sorts, if you can find that easy to believe."

Ah Catarina! I should have realized. Avina mentally kicked herself. Out of all the peoples who wandered through The Swamp, Catarinas were some of the most kind to her peoples. If only that meant they were merely distant rather than openly hostile. Perhaps he will be more like these outsiders at least. She mulled as Marcus introduced himself to the rest of the group and she wondered back to the bonfire.

"Bugger! I ran out of the mushrooms... oh well, say you all seem rather kind in helping me thus far, would it be possible if I join you for the short while. If you are part of a similar group my company was before, then perhaps we share a similar goal in mind! Why, you could almost say it was fate really."

Avina's head looked back to Marcus. "I'm alright with that. I've always been interested in traveling with one of the onion knights of Catarina." She said with a smile.

A strange piercing noise filled the air and the sense of an unearthly presence filled the air, an invader from another time had entered the world. The bonfire became strangely dim almost distant, it would not work for the group until the invader departed. In the distance the clamor from the keep continued, though the noise seemed to diminish somewhat as though whatever was causing it was aware of the invader as well.

While Knight Travis and the rest greeted the cumbersome, clumsy onion knight of Catarina. Ulrich remained upon the mossy stone and mortar of the churches ruined wall, uninterested in the newcomer, his eyes began scanning the eerie cobble stoned roads and decaying houses.

There was a sense in the air, different from the one emitting from the distant tower, an altogether different evil. Ulrich raised his mace upon his shoulder once more as a sharp high pitched noise cut through the clamor coming from the tower. It was a sound the knight of Dragonet was intimately familiar with.

"Travis" He barked through his helm "Attend, we have company, prepare yourselves".

As the others accustomed themselves with the newcomer Ulrich called Travis over.

Travis. Attend, we have company, prepare yourselves.

Travis trotted back to Ulrich's side and peered out into the ruins of the town. "What is it? Hollows? More beasts?"

"Nay young knight, can you not sense the unease in the air? It is not unknown to me. A soul-devouring wraith has begun to stalk our plain of existence, a creature of pure dark. Mark the challenges I mentioned about your responsibility as leader, the challenge that faces us this day may prove insurmountable"

Ulrich stepped from the church rubble and out onto the deserted cobble stone road

"I fear the others may not be ready for this contest young knight, guide them well"

Marcus' head lifted up as he heard the strange noise in the distance, a rather familiar tone by the look of concern from the elder looking knights posture. But what the elder knight said next made his concerns very real. A soul-devouring wraith... now he remembered why he was trapped inside that room. The onion-shaped knight straightens up promptly and marches towards the outside of the church, following Ulrich.

"Ha! So the scum returns for a re-match! Very well, he won't get the better of me this time!

Marcus lifts off his shield, equipping it on his left arm and slams it firmly in-front of him, like a wall made of steel. He balances his great axe onto his shoulder and marches forward in a battle stance. He turns to Travis.

"If what your friend says is true, then I have an idea. I will be able to handle anything this fool dishes out, but I can only do so much. If you wish I can buy you all some time, its the least I can do."

He gives out a loud whistle from his helmet, calling for his bird. However, Derrick does not return to him but instead the bird flies out from the church, and towards the direction of the noise...

A clear, high laugh cut through the air and a figure seemingly formed of shadows, red and black, approached down the street from within the town. A black phantom, his clothing and arms were somewhat difficult to distinguish from his form but he wore a long tattered cloak and a face concealing hood, beneath the cloak could be seen a somewhat patchwork armor that looked to be of Astoran design. On his back sat one of the distinctive sniper crossbows of Carim, his left hand appeared to be empty but his right held a long thin straight sword resembling those once used by the knights of Balder.

The figure stopped some distance away from them "A soul devouring wraith?" he shook his head and made a chiding noise "Tssk tssk. How harsh, your words they wound me so," he said mockingly, though his face was hidden one got the distinct impression he was grinning. He placed a hand over his chest and leaned back as though he had been shot, then stopped and gave a short bow.

"Truly I am merely a survivor such as yourselves," he said standing up from the bow "But now your words have aggrieved me and I must exact a payment for them from you now, surely one of you has honor enough to engage me in a fair duel so I may be avenged of this insult."

His head turned slowly as his eyes wandered over the group, stopping as he spotted Marcus "Ah the knight of Catarina, as I recall I already exacted a similar toll from your companions, perhaps you would care to avenge them? Or will you follow your birds example and flee as you did before?"

-Isis-

Marcus' reply was easily enthusiastic, particularly with the firm handshake.

"Hohooo! Not many do Miss...er Isis was it? Normally outside folk just considered us as oddities...Me? I like to consider our kind... hmmm... mmmm... AH! Yes! Brave warriors of sorts, if you can find that easy to believe.".

She smiled a little wider behind her headpiece. "Well, one can hope that you face battle with the same enthusiasm behind your handshake.", she said with a soft laugh.

As he turned his attention to the others that introduced themselves, her own attention was drawn away. An unearthly sound, something she would have described as some kind of unholy scream, filled the air around them, and she felt an uncomfortable tingle at the back of her neck. Ulrich was the first to comment on it.

"Attend, we have company, prepare yourselves.".

She quickly drew both Estoc and Dagger, turning to scan their surroundings for the intruder as Travis called back.

"What is it? Hollows? More beasts?".

Ulrich took the time to explain that it was neither: Instead they felt the presence of a dark wraith, a spirit that would devour their souls and try to slay them, so far as you can slay Undead at the very least. Her smile only dimmed, however, as she started to step out into the street, her weapons at the ready.

As Marcus said something about staying behind to hold the wraith off, Isis managed to spot the wraith himself. His armor, and weapons, looked like they had been taken from fallen knights and warriors, and she was intrigued by the sight of a Carim sniper crossbow on the mans back, while the rest of him looked unfamiliar. The wraiths face was hidden beneath his hooded cloak, but from the proportions, and the voice that emanated, it was clearly a man. Or had been, at some point.

"A soul devouring wraith? Tssk tssk. How harsh, your words they wound me so. Truly I am merely a survivor such as yourselves. But now your words have aggrieved me and I must exact a payment for them from you now, surely one of you has honor enough to engage me in a fair duel so I may be avenged of this insult.".

He bowed as he spoke, and as he straightened, he turned to look at Marcus.

"Ah the knight of Catarina, as I recall I already exacted a similar toll from your companions, perhaps you would care to avenge them? Or will you follow your birds example and flee as you did before?".

As he spoke, Isis strode in his way, standing between the 'survivor' and the Catarina Knight. "If you wish to have a duel, then try me. I should be a suitable opponent.", she said, before bowing herself.

"My name is Isis, of Carim. You should recognize where I'm from, seeing as you have a crossbow from my homeland on your back as we speak.", she told him, her tone pleasant as ever.

Caelius had been mulling over what Travis had told him, about the church no longer trusting him. It seemed silly, to think that they would simply abandon such a loyal follower, nevermind one who was carrying out a crucial mission for them! After all, they had trusted him with this, had they not? No, he concluded, there must simply have been a miscommunication involving the onion knight's party. Once he returned with the rite of kindling, everything would be neatly cleared up, and he would rejoin his brothers in white.

A piercing sound dragged him from his thoughts, and back into the situation at hand. The noise was not one that he was incredibly familiar with, but when he saw the bonfire grow dim, he knew exactly what was happening. Hefting his mace and shield, he searched for the invading presence. He spotted the phantom on the street just beyond the crumbled wall of the church, and began to advance toward him, raising his shield.

"A soul devouring wraith? Tssk tssk. How harsh, your words they wound me so. Truly I am merely a survivor such as yourselves. But now your words have aggrieved me and I must exact a payment for them from you now, surely one of you has honor enough to engage me in a fair duel so I may be avenged of this insult."

The fool seemed to believe they would heed his treacherous challenge, and allow themselves to become easy prey. He almost laughed. As if anyone on this most holy of quests would be so--

"If you wish to have a duel, then try me. I should be a suitable opponent. My name is Isis, of Carim. You should recognize where I'm from, seeing as you have a crossbow from my homeland on your back as we speak."

For a moment, Caelius was stunned; utterly baffled by why Isis would wish to throw away her tactical advantage.

"Isis, stop!" he cried out, regaining his senses. "This thing has no honor, and there is no sense in respecting its deceitful wished." He climbed over the remains of the wall and stepped into the street. From there, he began circling around the wraith, giving him a wide berth while slowly edging further behind him. "The church, no... the gods themselves are counting on us to complete this mission, and we cannot waste our lives on traitors such as this!"

Avina sat and waited as the piercing sound echoed across the ruins. Don't move, stay alert, be ready to move. She thought to herself as the moments passed. She was ready for some sort of demon to come crashing through the wall. A serpent to crash up from beneath them. What she was not ready for was a man to step around the corner to 'challenge' them. She nearly jumped when he did.

She looked him over, try to distinguish any kind of weakness. Then she noticed his curiously bare left hand. She stood slowly and moved to where Travis was standing.

"Be wary of his left hand." She whispered. "Even a novice pyromancer can hide their ember." She warned. She didn't know weather or not this......thing knew the sacred art, but she didn't want to take the chance.

"If you wish to have a duel, then try me. I should be a suitable opponent."

Avina had to fight the urge to not cover her eyes. Had their assassin just accepted a one on one fight with this thing. Another for the list of actions that hurt her head. Not above the Onion Knights head birds though.

Nay young knight, can you not sense the unease in the air? It is not unknown to me. A soul-devouring wraith has begun to stalk our plain of existence, a creature of pure dark. Mark the challenges I mentioned about your responsibility as leader, the challenge that faces us this day may prove insurmountable. I fear the others may not be ready for this contest young knight, guide them well.

A wraith? Such things are merely the foes of legend aren't they? Travis thought to himself. But the very air seemed offended by this new presence, whatever it was. Then it revealed itself as it came down the street towards them.

A soul devouring wraith? Tssk tssk. How harsh, your words they wound me so. Truly I am merely a survivor such as yourselves. But now your words have aggrieved me and I must exact a payment for them from you now, surely one of you has honor enough to engage me in a fair duel so I may be avenged of this insult. Ah the knight of Catarina, as I recall I already exacted a similar toll from your companions, perhaps you would care to avenge them? Or will you follow your birds example and flee as you did before?

So he intends to bait us into giving up our advantage? If this wraith is what defeated Marcus' party single handedly it clearly must be an extremely dangerous opponent. He has the look of a rake or rogue about him, under handed fellows who care little for honor.

Be wary of his left hand. Even a novice pyromancer can hide their ember. Avina cautioned him and he nodded his acknowledgement.

Even if not a flame, he could have bombs, daggers or some other trickery up his sleeve. Perhaps we could make him think we accepted his duel and use that to our advantage? Isis seems like a slippery one, I'm sure she could sneak off and use her bow to... Travis' thoughts were interrupted as Isis stepped up to confront the wraith.

If you wish to have a duel, then try me. I should be a suitable opponent. My name is Isis, of Carim. You should recognize where I'm from, seeing as you have a crossbow from my homeland on your back as we speak.

"Damn it!" Travis cursed under his breathe. It seems that she's eager to prove herself. Maybe we can still make this work. They both seem suited to fighting one on one so hopefully she could be a sufficient distraction... Ah, but for who and for what purpose? As Travis searched for the answer he found his eyes passed over Rang several times without so much as a second thought. And then it clicked. Rang's underwhelming presence was so unnoticeable it was likely the wraith wouldn't notice his absence in the middle of a heated duel, and Rang had surprised him already, what's to say it wouldn't happen again? As Caelius called Isis to turn down the challenge Travis edged his way over to Rang and whispered, "Rang, I need to count of you for something. I need you to slip away from the group when you get a chance and find your way behind this wraith unseen and unleash your sorceries upon it when the time is right. I have faith in you."

Without waiting for Rang's response Travis stepped forward as Caelius finished speaking, "Worry not Caelius. Though this man may have lost his honor that is no excuse for it to be absent in ourselves. For if we stoop to his level then he has already won, and we will have shown the Gods that we lack faith in their protection and guidance and our mission will lose their blessing. Isis has faith in the Gods as you or I. They will bring her victory in this duel. I am certain."

"Hmm? Why yes I feel fine as ever, thank you! Yet you seem quite the opposite? Are you ill? Maybe I have something to help you!"

Rang shook his head, but the man had already started looking for something. At least this meant Marcus was a nice person, if he was that eager to help.

I'm not that happy when people think I'm sick...

He told himself that it was just how it had to be, there was nothing he could do about what he looked like. It was certainly not their fault, at least.

"Bugger! I ran out of the mushrooms... oh well, say you all seem rather kind in helping me thus far, would it be possible if I join you for the short while. If you are part of a similar group my company was before, then perhaps we share a similar goal in mind! Why, you could almost say it was fate really."

Fate. Rang didn't really believe in fate, but perhaps the man was correct. He was about to say something else, when a suspicious man in a hood arrived.

"Truly I am merely a survivor such as yourselves. But now your words have aggrieved me and I must exact a payment for them from you now, surely one of you has honor enough to engage me in a fair duel so I may be avenged of this insult."

I wonder if I should try to do that.

But there were others who spoke first, and who were a lot more adept than him. Rang didn't want to have one of them act all alone, so he would try to help them if he could. How, though? Before he found an answer, Travis went over to him, and whispered something.

"Rang, I need to count of you for something. I need you to slip away from the group when you get a chance and find your way behind this wraith unseen and unleash your sorceries upon it when the time is right. I have faith in you."

Oh. Sneaking, he could do that. He had a spell for it, even.

"O-okay," he whispered back, so that the enemy didn't hear it. He tried to act as if he hadn't heard anything, and kept his eyes to the ground, not wanting to alert anyone. He'd have to keep on eye on the situation, and sneak away when it worked the best. Right. He had to help the one who would fight, from the looks of it, Isis.

"Ah the knight of Catarina, as I recall I already exacted a similar toll from your companions, perhaps you would care to avenge them? Or will you follow your birds example and flee as you did before?"

How rude, Marcus thought. But then again he had little reason to question the motives of a being that's only real reason for being here was to steal humanity and souls. Marcus faced the dark spirit with a glare in his eyes. He did not concern himself with Derrick, after all waht good was a bluebird in a fight against a man? Or at least what he assume was human at least.

"If you think I will simply run like a coward then you are a fool sir! I will see to it that-"

He was cut off, Isis had stepped in between the dark spirit and himself.

"If you wish to have a duel, then try me. I should be a suitable opponent. My name is Isis, of Carim. You should recognize where I'm from, seeing as you have a crossbow from my homeland on your back as we speak."

This annoyed Marcus, it was his chance to prove himself not a coward and the Carim assassin Isis took that chance away from him. Well he wouldn't have any of that. Even his newfound allies agreed too, though not for the same reasons.

"Step aside! This puny being is my problem, not yours! I will make sure he pays for the death of my comrades!", he says slamming his tower shield in-front of him and marching towards his foe. If there was one thing he hated more than anything, it was feeling weak. He prepared for a defensive stance, if this fool was going to use a crossbow, then his shield will act as a wall against any long ranged foe.

"Worry not Caelius. Though this man may have lost his honor that is no excuse for it to be absent in ourselves. For if we stoop to his level then he has already won, and we will have shown the Gods that we lack faith in their protection and guidance and our mission will lose their blessing. Isis has faith in the Gods as you or I. They will bring her victory in this duel. I am certain."

Caelius, who was still cautiously circling the wraith, hesitated for a moment. His gut told him not to heed Travis' words, to dispatch this invader by any means necessary, but the knight had a point. Honor and blessings aside, disobeying an order from the group's impromptu commander would be foolish. He halted, still a good distance away from both the phantom and his allies.

"Very well," he called out. "I'll not interfere with your duel, wraith. So long as you fight with honor, I shall do the same."

"If you think I will simply run like a coward then you are a fool sir! I will see to it that-"

"Step aside! This puny being is my problem, not yours! I will make sure he pays for the death of my comrades!"

"This thing has no honor, and there is no sense in respecting its deceitful wish."

The black phantom remained silent as the members of the group spoke, though he kept his eyes on Caelius as he began circling him, his head turning slightly to follow the clerics movements while keeping the others in view. He snorted at Caelius's remark though.

"If I was as honorless as you show yourself to be then I would have simply ambushed you with this toy here," he said, shifting his weight to nudge the crossbow on his back, he turned briefly towards Isis "A gift from a companion of mine, I have sadly never set foot in Carim."

"Worry not Caelius. Though this man may have lost his honor that is no excuse for it to be absent in ourselves. For if we stoop to his level then he has already won, and we will have shown the Gods that we lack faith in their protection and guidance and our mission will lose their blessing. Isis has faith in the Gods as you or I. They will bring her victory in this duel. I am certain."

"I'll not interfere with your duel, wraith. So long as you fight with honor, I shall do the same."

"Excellent, now then you'll have to decide which of you will accept my challenge, the onion knight or the daughter of Carim, either is acceptable to me," the phantom said with a shrug, "Of course if you wish to leave without bloodshed I might be persuaded to depart in exchange for a couple shards of humanity."

-Isis-

The immediate outcry against her own challenge wasn't entirely unexpected.

"Isis, stop! This thing has no honor, and there is no sense in respecting its deceitful wished. The church, no... the gods themselves are counting on us to complete this mission, and we cannot waste our lives on traitors such as this!".

"Have faith, Caelius. You forget where I come from, and that Lord Gywn will see us through.", she said, sparing the Cleric a glance.

Then, she quickly locked her gaze back on the Wraith, awaiting some kind of first move. She didn't pay attention as she heard Travis call out, possibly to reassure Caelius, but she did notice as Marcus stepped between both her and the Wraith.

"Step aside! This puny being is my problem, not yours! I will make sure he pays for the death of my comrades!".

Isis paused, before looking back to the Wraith himself.

"Excellent, now then you'll have to decide which of you will accept my challenge, the onion knight or the daughter of Carim, either is acceptable to me. Of course if you wish to leave without bloodshed I might be persuaded to depart in exchange for a couple shards of humanity.".

At that, she made her decision. Sheathing her weapons, she stepped forward and patted the Catarina Knight's shoulder.

"I wish you luck then, Marcus. Don't show mercy.", she said, her tone hardening for the last.

Then she strode over to Travis and turned to watch. And she knew that if something happened, something she felt would be dishonorable between the Wraith and Marcus, she would simply loose a poison arrow into the bastards forehead.

The phantom nodded and took a step forward, flourishing his sword as he settled into a practiced fighting stance. He began to circle his opponent, his footsteps light and his movements quick. His left hand remained clenched loosely into a fist, and it was impossible to tell if he held anything in it. His attention remained focused on Marcus as he moved, gauging his foe.

"So then Onion Knight, you seek to avenge your companions?" he said as he circled "How... pointless, all causes fail, and those who champion them inevitably fall," he spoke somewhat mockingly, and continued to circle.

In the distance the noise from the keep seemed to diminish, the wind was still and the air felt heavy with traces of smoke. There was no movement or noise from the ruined buildings around the street, the only noises that were heard came from the group and the two combatants.

Marcus grinned, thankful to at least get a chance to shine as Isis stood down.

"I wish you luck then, Marcus. Don't show mercy."

Marcus nodded, although he would give his opponent a fighting chance, and by that he meant giving him the first strike. The Dark Spirit circled him, eyeing Marcus while keeping himself at a distance.

"So then Onion Knight, you seek to avenge your companions? How... pointless, all causes fail, and those who champion them inevitably fall."

Marcus chuckled turning and following opposite the spirit with his shield held high.

"Hmph, you must say that to all the foes you defeat, though I suppose it would be pointless if you were nothing more than an honor-less sod."

At this point, words were all he got attack with at the moment. Derrick was missing and Marcus had to think of something. He may have not have been bright be he wasn't new to combat, he knew his opponent was faster and wouldn't waste a second to back stab him. He also knew that attacking first would only works when the opponents were stupid enough to charge at him, which wasn't the case here. For now Marcus took a defensive stance making sure he wouldn't give his opponent a chance to attack him from behind by moving just out of reach from...whatever he had in his hand. He looked at his opponents weapons, a closed fist? What for? Was he planning to fight him bare handed? It seemed odd but then again he could be hiding something. He once again tried to whistle for Derrick, same as before, though he masked it by trying to mock his opponent.

"This is becoming rather.... pointless... hmm?... are we simply going to dance around in circles or are you actually going to hit me!", he says trying to bait the spirit. If he did attack, he would have a painful introduction with his shield. If anything it will catch him off guard and open him up to a strike with his axe.

"Hmph, you must say that to all the foes you defeat, though I suppose it would be pointless if you were nothing more than an honor-less sod."

"Ha, you consider me without honor? I never ran to leave my companions to die," the phantom replied, "You haven't been undead long have you," he gave a sinister chuckle.

"This is becoming rather.... pointless... hmm?... are we simply going to dance around in circles or are you actually going to hit me!"

The phantom made no reply, a stiff breeze blew across the street blowing up dust and causing his cloak to flutter in the wind. He stopped his circling for a moment, steadying himself, then darted forward and to the right. He moved quickly sword drawn back as though about to strike.

Marcus kept a solid eye on his opponent, watching how he moved. He hated tricky characters, they would constantly go for a cheap attack on him. Jokes on them, he thought, I'm too tough for the likes of them!

Within an instant the phantom stopped and darted towards his right side. Gotcha now.

"Hmph!"

In a fluid motion Marcus stepped back with his right foot to swing his body around. With his axe raised high for a strike, and he swung for the location his opponent was about to strike. His strike would hopefully slam the ground around him, pushing back the phantom or flat out kill him.

"Heh, fell for it," The phantom spoke as he quickly changed direction to avoid the attack, his apparent attack had been a feint and Marcus had walked right into it. He rolled past the blow, landing along side Marcus and striking with a quick slash aimed for Marcus's leg, where the armor was weakest. The sturdy armor still deflected much of the force of the blow, but as the wraith jumped back red could be seen on his blade.

The cut he had inflicted on Marcus was thankfully not terribly serious, if only because of the armor, but even so it was a clear sign of the wraith's skill. The wraith gave a short barking laugh as his jump following the strike placed him a step back from Marcus, and he began to return to his defensive posture.

"Bah!", shouted Marcus as the blade slashed his leg.

Marcus fell back a bit, leaving his shield in front of him to protect himself, he fell for clever trap. He should have known as much, though frankly he wouldn't fall for that again, hopefully anyway. He could hear him laugh and take a huge step backwards. His anger was boiling, it was hard to keep calm with his opponent mucking up his tactics and making him feel weak. His thoughts began to cloud his judgement, the thoughts of his failures and his weaknesses started to lose himself. As insane as it may have been normally, it was time for a change of plans. ATTACK!

"You want to play? Very well..."

He boosts himself up, blood dripping from his leg. He drops his tower shield, griping his great axe with two hands. His head lifts, filled with rage.

"Let's play you two faced bastard!!!"

Stomping and rushing with all his speed and adrenaline, he jumps forward and goes for a jumping slam attack on the dark spirit.

"I break you in two!"

"I break you in two!"

The wraith dove and rolled to the side, narrowly avoiding the attack though its suddenness caught him off guard enough that he did not manage a counterattack. He moved quickly to his feet and stepped cautiously back, though his laughter continued, more subdued but still low and mocking. He raised his sword and pointed it straight at Marcus, his posture settling into an En Garde stance.

"Eheheheh," he laughed quietly at first, though gaining in volume somewhat "Is that it?"

"Is that it?"

To be honest, it felt like it was. Marcus was out of breath and his rush had started to ware off. There was no way that he would be safe from another foolish attack like that. He felt very inexperienced against this kind of opponent, he felt like he was being led. Worst yet that annoying laugh was getting to him too. Marcus gathered himself and turned, his opponents stature was familiar to him, like a fencer almost. Marcus brushed himself of and prepared himself. For now he was shieldless, but he wasn't out, not by a long shot. He whistled again for his pet bird, hoping to maybe catch his attention. In the distance he saw a small blue spec fly around in the distance, It was Derrick! Now he had a plan... almost at least.

"Hahahahaaaa... I'll admit, you are indeed a worthy opponent, in fact you are quite skilled, it is a shame you would let your own greed for souls delude you. But I digress, I have misjudged you, from this point forward you will have a worthy fight."

Marcus took a deep breath and began to focus himself. In a fluid stance he stood, axe over his shoulder, legs spread front and back, and his left hand in front of him, taking careful measure to keep it in front of him, almost as if he is planning to defend with just his arm.

"Now, lets try this again..."

Rang was watching the fight, subtly casting the spell that allowed him to move soundlessly. He then positioned himself better, went to a place where he could see the details of the fight. Marcus seemed to be getting more and more tired. The wraith was clever, he used feints and read the situation well, clearly having somewhat of an upper hand. Rang knew he couldn't act just yet, he had to wait for the right time, but it was hard to do. He didn't want Marcus to get more hurt, but he had to wait until he was sure the other wouldn't get hit as well.

I hope I'm doing this right.

It was against Marcus' honor and all that, but it was more important to get rid of the opponent.

"Now, lets try this again..."

Marcus whistled, very suddenly. Rang didn't realize why at first, but then he saw the bird react, and realized what Marcus was trying to do. As the sound would probably distract the wraith more than the bird would, Rang quickly moved, unseen, and got into the position to attack the hooded man from behind, from a distance, of course. He then used the same spell he had used earlier, the strongest one, and hoped it would work. Worst case scenario, it would fail, but it would still allow Marcus to act while the enemy was distracted.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked