Review: inFamous

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Oh, Susan, you almost had me confused there for a moment!

ALMOST!

I'm still standing by that in most morality systems they still TREAT you like a Hero and no matter how evil you are you still gotta do the Hero work.

WITH VERY LITTLE CHANGE I MIGHT ADD

This is a Hero game. You are not some up and coming Fantasy guy, you are not a jedi who was a sith but not really.

You are a guy who the entire CITY has turned on and you have lightning powers.

So you say "The City said fuck me well FUCK YOU!" and take it over?
Or do you say "Yes they said fuck me but I still can't let these things happen."

Hands up if you read comic books. If not you probably don't get that Cole's Villain path is exactly the type of motivation most Batman villains have. They were normal people caught up in shit beyond their control and they snapped.

Cole is not 'Evil Hero' or 'Good Hero' he is a Hero or a Villain. RARELY does this path cross in Super Hero Comic books.

That's my view on Morality, YES it's either Villain or Hero, but honestly thats the fucking point! If you were a normal guy I would say "Yeah this is bullshit" but this is a SUPER HERO game.

On the Gameplay all I have to say Sly Cooper Meets Assasins Creed with detailed buildings. The Static Shock hover abillities and the Sly Cooper Parkour movement is just... FUN.

No no stop for a second but it is a big fucking world, there is a LOT to explore here. Think of it in Spiderman Webslinging, you are moving around at a kickass pace in a kickass way.

I like how people say "Well combat looks repetitive" but we've just replaced a gun with electricity, as the game goes on you get more powers (Something conveniantly not MENTIONED in the review) some of which are really REALLY fun to use.

Also going back to morality for a second how are you JESUS in doing the good path? your a SUPER HERO if you don't read comics then don't bother commenting the good path makes you about as Jesus as Spider-Man.

Likewise with the Villain Path making you as bad as The Joker but not the Devil (though people could argue which is worse)

Right back to gameplay. Combat starts of basic and gets varied and you will need every new power you collect. There are different powers for different paths such as Arc Lightning for Evil which... well take a guess...

I find it funny, that the game isn't out yet and somehow the user reviews on Metacritic is 6.6

now it's overall score so far is 87 and I think thats fair. 3 either way doesn't change much I would say maximum maybe a 94. It definitly needs some work and was hyped a little high, but coming into this game usually not hypoing myself up I was pleased.

Again this is all my view there are things people will disagree with and that are subjective (My View on Morality for example)

Tikicobra:
Disappointing.

Not the game, the review. You hardly mentioned anything other than the morality system, and frankly, I don't understand your complaints, nor do I understand how a flawed morality system could hurt the game to a point where it's not even worth buying. I'm not a fanboy, either. In fact, I'm not that hyped for this game, but this review seemed rather lame and off-putting.

Did you watch the video suppliment because the morality system was mentioned at length and I think the complaints were very valid. I can't think of a game that has been able to reward "shades of grey" players yet.

Great, unbiased review by the way.

Programmed_For_Damage:

Tikicobra:
Disappointing.

Not the game, the review. You hardly mentioned anything other than the morality system, and frankly, I don't understand your complaints, nor do I understand how a flawed morality system could hurt the game to a point where it's not even worth buying. I'm not a fanboy, either. In fact, I'm not that hyped for this game, but this review seemed rather lame and off-putting.

Did you watch the video suppliment because the morality system was mentioned at length and I think the complaints were very valid. I can't think of a game that has been able to reward "shades of grey" players yet.

No the problem with the review is it is only the morality system, ok it is a fairly 1 dimensional affair I get it, really trust me I get it. Though really I was expecting a review of the game not a short essay about the problems of tying a 2 choice morality system to the advancement. That and if you can't think of a game that is pro-neutrality why does that make it is specific fault to this game? Or even why should this game be trying to give you that choice? Maybe it would have made the game better, maybe not but really this review boils down to a paragraph and a half that is not about the morality system.

Programmed_For_Damage:

Tikicobra:
Disappointing.

I agree, I hate the way the Karma system was implemented, but some others (like Omni's post and Virgil's post bring up some good points) do make good points to the system.

I still hate it....and how Sucker Punch were hyping up the morality system.

I find this review very interesting, because 1UP gave this an A- in their review: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3174301

It's always interesting to read these reviews from different sources and find out which one has their head on straight on what a good game is, and find out whose opinion you prefer. It's too late now for me to compare the two reviews, but above is the link to the 1UP review. Enjoy.

xxhazyshadowsxx:

PedroSteckecilo:
I was thinking of getting this as soon as it came out... but now I'm a little skeptical. Still, I haven't gotten used to Jordan's game tastes as of yet... so I think I'll give it a rental as per recommendation rather than being sure of the hit or miss of it.

Gametrailers, who are notoriously 360 Biased, gave inFAMOUS a 9.0/10, So It's got to be good.

Well, yeah that and it comes with a Drakes Uncharted 2 beta. So I was gonna get it regardless, like how my roomie got Crackdown for the Halo 3 beta. Guess I'm just a sucker.

I just played the demo and I thought it was amazing.

I tl;dr'ed the last 5 posts but all i have to add is this, did they really have to penalize the player for sticking on the neutral path, i mean let him be randomly flavored a hint of good a pinch of evil, and the lightning grenade brings it all together. I think thats what the crux of their problem was that it was only good or evil when there are so many delicious shades of grey.

xxhazyshadowsxx:

PedroSteckecilo:
I was thinking of getting this as soon as it came out... but now I'm a little skeptical. Still, I haven't gotten used to Jordan's game tastes as of yet... so I think I'll give it a rental as per recommendation rather than being sure of the hit or miss of it.

Gametrailers, who are notoriously 360 Biased, gave inFAMOUS a 9.0/10, So It's got to be good.

Um, except they AREN'T 360 biased. If you need any more proof of that, then you need to be listening to Invisible Walls. They are mature adults with jobs, relationships, and a life who have better things to do with their lives then to fuck with their visitors and worship one particular console over another, unlike most of the immature little kids who troll the forums over there, who think being stupid fanboys will somehow make them feel better about themselves.

As for the review, that's something I've noticed since the developers first talked about this "good and evil" concept. That's very unfortunate, since after reading some of the reviews, I was kinda excited about this. I'll stick with Red Faction and Prototype, and MAYBE give this a rent.

Damn it! I was wanting this to be a super-exclusive! I wanted it to be the PS3s saviour!

Worsle:

No the problem with the review is it is only the morality system, ok it is a fairly 1 dimensional affair I get it, really trust me I get it. Though really I was expecting a review of the game not a short essay about the problems of tying a 2 choice morality system to the advancement. That and if you can't think of a game that is pro-neutrality why does that make it is specific fault to this game? Or even why should this game be trying to give you that choice? Maybe it would have made the game better, maybe not but really this review boils down to a paragraph and a half that is not about the morality system.

Maybe it's because no review is totally unbiased. If Jordan really found this morality system to hinder him constantly while playing the game, isn't it logical it is mention a lot?

meatloaf231:
This is exactly why games need to stop attaching numbers to morality. You can't quantify it. All theses system do is make you think "I want to do X Good or Evil deed so I can advance on the Good or Evil slider so I get the reward/power for being all the way to the Good or Evil side." Fallout 3 also suffered greatly from the Karma system.

Morals aren't numbers.

Yes, but numbers are currently the best way to measure and reward your choices. It'll be kind of strange if everyone was asking me to help them and calling me a hero even though I seem to kill every innocent that I see, wouldn't it? And it'll also be kind of strange if a good character could use massive area damage spells. Until something better comes out, I say morality meters stay.

Alleged_Alec:
Maybe it's because no review is totally unbiased. If Jordan really found this morality system to hinder him constantly while playing the game, isn't it logical it is mention a lot?

Yes but that does not stop it from feeling more like a short essay on why this reviews dislikes a certain game mechanic rather than a review of the game. While I dislike the numerical system of reviewing if you are going to do always with it I need more than a paragraph and a half on the game to understand the view point. I mean this is not to much to ask? If a review is to inform potential buyers I find my self rather uninformed, what about the gameplay was so repetitive? Am I the only one feeling a little out of the loop? While numbers seem to be an arbitrary thing slapped on at the end to get away from properly explaining your view this review is lacking both the explanation and the numbers.

Though I would note I did not call the review biased or unbiased so why you bring that up is beyond me. Having not played the game its not like I can even state my opinion on it but the reviews lack of information is there to see.

After playing the demo... well... I sort of disagree with Mr. Deam, I'm definately going to be buying this, good and evil system be damned!

I love being Electric Spiderman.

You know, the review says you'l tire of the city quickly, the demo players say they loved it... maybe it's just a game that doesn't stay fun for very long past the demo length?

what i dont get is why he uses electrical based power to float in the air its wired whens the last time you saw a super hero use electricity to fly give him fire based powers or let the players pick which kind-o power they want to use

Susan Arendt, I love your voice (sorry Jordan, kick a man when he's down)
can we bottle up your voice to bring peace and unity to the world.

Sorry I went listening intently to Susan's voice during that video supplement, so inFamous has kittens?, will there be a horse armour style DLC for my kitten when i finally get the game?.

Slycne:

So while the karma moments are laughably only two sided, I think they were designed that way. The game is promoting you to the polar ends of the spectrum. Villains are psychotic douche bags and heroes are Jesus with a cooler skill set. It certainly fails to deliver mirroring a real moral decisions, but that's not its intent, from what I saw at least. The marketing hype did seem to latch on to that though. I think this might be a victim of a PR unit being out of touch with the game design.

Finally someone says it. It's designed to be a comic book, ofcourse your powers get stronger the ore you progress towards either side. I think it should work well within the game, can't wait to gice this a try.

Gunndam64:
what i dont get is why he uses electrical based power to float in the air its wired whens the last time you saw a super hero use electricity to fly give him fire based powers or let the players pick which kind-o power they want to use

Hmmmm... Yahtzee avatar... poor grammer... worse logic... but sure, I'll humor you...

Why not fire?

One reason I can think of is The Human Torch, that's why, for one Marvel is lawsuit happy and secondly... Fire is just so "done," electricity is new and exciting... sort of.

Also, picking your powers will show up eventually, but right now I imagine it would be a programming/game design impossibility. We're only JUST getting open world Super Hero games worth playing based off of VERY specific power sets.

Lastly, he doesn't fly, he glides...

Read "The Physics of Super Heroes" there are VERY FEW super heroes whose powers are REMOTELY possible.

carsonnik:

xxhazyshadowsxx:

PedroSteckecilo:

Um, except they AREN'T 360 biased. If you need any more proof of that, then you need to be listening to Invisible Walls. They are mature adults with jobs, relationships, and a life who have better things to do with their lives then to fuck with their visitors and worship one particular console over another, unlike most of the immature little kids who troll the forums over there, who think being stupid fanboys will somehow make them feel better about themselves.

As for the review, that's something I've noticed since the developers first talked about this "good and evil" concept. That's very unfortunate, since after reading some of the reviews, I was kinda excited about this. I'll stick with Red Faction and Prototype, and MAYBE give this a rent.

We resolved this issue yesterday..
You have a valid point, and I agree that there is no proof against them being biased, hell, I'm not sure even what I said was correct. But let it go, really.

ender214:

meatloaf231:
This is exactly why games need to stop attaching numbers to morality. You can't quantify it. All theses system do is make you think "I want to do X Good or Evil deed so I can advance on the Good or Evil slider so I get the reward/power for being all the way to the Good or Evil side." Fallout 3 also suffered greatly from the Karma system.

Morals aren't numbers.

Yes, but numbers are currently the best way to measure and reward your choices. It'll be kind of strange if everyone was asking me to help them and calling me a hero even though I seem to kill every innocent that I see, wouldn't it? And it'll also be kind of strange if a good character could use massive area damage spells. Until something better comes out, I say morality meters stay.

That's not my point. I'm saying that there shouldn't be rewards for your choices. No special abilities or items only available because you are evil or good, because this will influence people's decisions based on what reward they get rather than what their morals dictate.

There should a change in the way people react to/treat you, yes, but it shouldn't be actively measurable by the player. It should just be visible in the game worls.

considering all I saw from it it looked like a sandbox third person shooter most of the time, Very disappointing.

In all honesty, I think i'll hold out for Prototype...

Why was one section of the game given more time than the actual gameplay? Isn't that what people are always saying is important? I'm getting this based on other reviews, but I would have appreciated a more indepth look from the Escapist... the freedom and climbing mechanics, the combat, even the story, all seemed to get ignored. I really think these reviews need to be longer as I never feel like I'm getting enough information about the game.

Archemetis:
considering all I saw from it it looked like a sandbox third person shooter most of the time, Very disappointing.

In all honesty, I think i'll hold out for Prototype...

Most people have another opinion man, check out other sites as well: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps3/infamous?q=infamous

meatloaf231:
That's not my point. I'm saying that there shouldn't be rewards for your choices. No special abilities or items only available because you are evil or good, because this will influence people's decisions based on what reward they get rather than what their morals dictate.

There should a change in the way people react to/treat you, yes, but it shouldn't be actively measurable by the player. It should just be visible in the game worls.

Well, couldn't it, purely hypothetically, be a difference in how your powers work depending on if you're evil or good?
If your good, you'll do massive damage to a single target, and if you're evil, you'll do moderate damage to several targets?

But then again, then you might not choose allegiance depending on your choice, but instead depending on your playing style, just as you said.
Hhm, looks like you're right after all...

So Eurogamer and The Escapist give yet another PS3 exclusive a negative review. Ho hum...

As your wounds heal, you discover that you have the power to control electricity. Whether it's red lightning or blue depends entirely on the way you treat your fellow citizens. Not exactly a choice on par with "killing a defenseless little girl or saving her life," is it?

Killing a defenceless citizen isn't on par with killing a defenseless little girl...? It's pretty obvious that the game is inspired by comic books, anyway, so expecting it to grapple with complex philosophical dilemmas at every turn is unrealistic to say the least.

Instead of choosing between moral actions and immoral ones, you'll likely be making a simpler choice: Do I want my character to improve or not?

This seems like another comparison to Bioshock which is odd given that Bioshock's morality system was completely broken and didn't factor into the storyline at all. Playing through as a "good" player gives you all the best tonics and almost as much ADAM as an "evil" player: there is no incentive to be "evil" in Bioshock, none whatsoever. The best way to improve your character is to be "good" for the entire duration.

Not only will a good action not contribute to your character advancement when you're trending evil, but it will actually move you a notch closer to "neutral," the game's weakest state.

Like, no kidding. This is how the game works.

It's not that it's significantly harder to be good in the world of inFamous. It's just more annoying. As an example, you could spend an hour or two on the "good" side missions, which enhance your reputation and rid the streets of crime block by block, but if one of your electro grenades slips past an enemy and hits a pedestrian, a little red flash next to your "villain" will still let you know that you just became a bit more evil. Granted, you have to accidentally kill more than a handful of pedestrians to actually move down a rank on your karma meter, but these constant slaps on the wrist ultimately degrade the experience by needling all but the most cautious players.

Absurdly harsh criticism. Not only do you refute your own point by admitting that it takes several accidental slip-ups to have any noticeable effect, you also seem to be suggesting that killing bystanders with grenades should have no effect on karma whatsoever. If you don't want to be "slapped on the wrist" for killing pedestrians, don't play a game with an in-built morality system! If the game didn't adjust your karma after killing pedestrians you'd no doubt be all over it, saying how unrealistic it is.

On the way toward a game with true moral ambiguity, I suspect inFamous will end up mostly as a cautionary tale: If you're going to let players choose their own path, you need to offer them more than simply "red or blue."

Yes. Video games should also be expected to cure cancer and secure world peace. No game has ever done morality convincingly so I don't know why you've dedicated almost the entire review to slamming a light-hearted sandbox game for failing to be the gaming equivalent of Rights of Man. If you ask me, inFAMOUS deserves credit for at least forcing players to make some kind of decision either way. It's not like Fallout 3 where you can murder five hundred people then give a homeless guy some water and reset everything. The angle of the review is basically "this game is not a perfect simulation of morality, therefore it is a bad game" which, again, seems harsh in the extreme.

I keep thinking that a Hunter X Hunter game could work really well put into this mold. I mean, you could choose your character path, upgrade your specific talents, explore massive cities with myriad objectives lifted straight from the series or just mess around. The HXH series sort of falls on the edge of "superhero" without actually giving the characters spandex and ludicrous backstories, so I feel like it'd be a bit more tense than an average free-roaming superhero game. Your character would be very strong, but also very fragile.

I actually worked a fair bit on this idea before I even heard of Infamous and its ilk, but I'm no game designer so obviously somebody else would have to pick it up.

But hey, maybe anime games in general would be well-suited to this type of gameplay? I can think of at least a dozen titles that might be pretty awesome. Oh, and good review.

i think the game looks fantastic and all other reviews apart from this one were positive.
i get that a karma system isnt the most original or best ideas in the world but is it really game breaking. i have seen gameplay vids and a lot more than your powers change depending on your choices. THE WHOLE BLOODY CITY CHANGES! this was when i saw a video of some comparing being good with bad. in good the city was nice and intact with cole looking nice and pleasent. but when he is bad, his face is pearly white and the sky is red, all the buildings are broken and was a stunning contrast. but it looks like a well thought out game and looks to be a lot of fun

Wow, this is the first negative review of inFamous i've seen... Not sure what that says...'specally since other sources have completly disagreed with you on most of your points, lauding the games attention to detail, the free running, and the NPC acting. Usually I'm 100% behind the Escapists reviews. I'd play this game and give my own 2cp but I got a 360... Still, i'm a bit confused by this review.

harhol:
Condense

I agree with alot of what Harhol said. While I don't mind a negative review once in a while, sometimes the criticism doesn't make the best of sense.

I finaly got around to playing the demo a couple of times, and I really enjoy it and look forward to getting it on release day (preordered).

One things for certain, riding the powerlines never gets old :D

I truly hope Prototype will be what its promised to be and not fail

How many nuances of morality do you see in your typical comic book? That seems like a misplaced criticism, particularly to base the recommendability upon it.

The greyness of the world looks to me like an artistic style to highlight the color of the lightning and effects. Maybe there could be more polys or better textures, you can't really tell from internet videos, but the look and feel seem fine to me.

InFamous seems to be getting the 360 fanboys excited which I take as a plus. I hadn't heard a thing about the game as of a week ago, but I'm edging toward a buy from what reviews I've seen.

...in other words, ditto Harhol.

harhol:
So Eurogamer and The Escapist give yet another PS3 exclusive a negative review. Ho hum...

Flower, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Noby Noby Boy, Valkria Chronicles, Savage Moon and Metal Gear Solid 4 were all recommended as Buy it. So unless I am missing a bunch more PS3 exclusives we haven't given "another" PS3 exclusive a negative review.

*Edit sorry missed Resistance 2, so one other PS3 exclusive we gave a bad review.

Slycne:
Flower, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Noby Noby Boy, Valkria Chronicles, Savage Moon and Metal Gear Solid 4 were all recommended as Buy it. So unless I am missing a bunch more PS3 exclusives we haven't given "another" PS3 exclusive a negative review.*Edit sorry missed Resistance 2, so one other PS3 exclusive we gave a bad review.

You are seriously suggesting that there are only five boxed exclusives available for PS3?

harhol:

Slycne:
Flower, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Noby Noby Boy, Valkria Chronicles, Savage Moon and Metal Gear Solid 4 were all recommended as Buy it. So unless I am missing a bunch more PS3 exclusives we haven't given "another" PS3 exclusive a negative review.*Edit sorry missed Resistance 2, so one other PS3 exclusive we gave a bad review.

You are seriously suggesting that there are only five boxed exclusives available for PS3?

Not in the least, but those are the only PS3 exclusives that we have reviewed. Your quote seemed to suggest that we have some kind of bias against the PS3 and I was simply stating that our reviews of PS3 exclusives show quite the opposite.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here