Review: Modern Warfare 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Some obvious errors in the review, but I'm not in the mood for nitpicking right now. Mostly about the guns and stuff. The gun selection was miserable, made no sense and the variations were laughable. And 6-12 hours? Did he try to crawl throughout the entire game and insist on killing every enemy with a kinfe? Otherwise the single palyer will be over in just about 5 hours, on hardened.

MW2 wasn't as good as the first one, which had a story that was even somehow reasonable, smooth and balanced gameplay and at least some traces of realism.

In all, a very predictable review.

squid5580:
When did instruction manuals become the work of the devil?

you are a PC gamer right??

only PC games are so complex that they do need a manual

I must agree. When i was playing the game i got "OH SHIIIITT" over and over again. Even peopel watching me were screaming awesome swear words while watching.

Yeah, I do believe this was in the Escapist News story. Seems our reviewer has been replaced with a robot.

Turns out this review was quite... compelling.

I dont see why people hate the multiplayer. Its exactly the same but with a big bunch of extras!

I got over 9 hours playing through it the first time... I know cause that's what the timer said after i finished the last level.

This is actually the first positive review about MW2 I have read. I think the game decerves some credit, I loved MW, and I loved MW2. Unfortunately for some people, FPSs are to them just another shooter. If you do with this like you did with fallout 3 and do into it with an open mind, ready for the plot of things, you would also see how awesome it really is!

The multiplayer is so-so, I still go to Battlefield for my online experience (liked the unlocks tho!)

PC gamers - get over yourselves
OT: yes, americans are portrayed as assholes, but half the timethe english are gay, ugly and/or wet, the french are cowardly and the mexicans are backstabbers, so id call this one roughly even
good review, couple spoilers in the video though

AndyCobra:

Doug:

Catchy Slogan:
Damn. Sucks to be that astronaut...

Love this game. Love the plot. Love the settings. Vehicle section was a bit , so-so.

True, that bit was awesome. Just not for the astronaut ;)

can someone tell me what is up with the space thing cause i played and finished the Campaign and i never saw that scene

Erm, HOW?

You missed out the fact its a great CONSOLE game, but MP wise it sucks for the PC, the original MW is far better...and mark my words now, will live longer MP wise than MW 2.

Its a glaring ommission for a reviewer to miss out on.

The PC version is a direct and hardly touched port of the consoles, the only nod at the PC was mouse support. Theres even reports that the error messages in the PC game tell you to restart your XBox Live... seems to suggest IW couldnt even be bothered to change the error message text. (the report is unconfirmed, could be a photoshop ..but I read about this error in a few different sites under different contexts).

I suggest you either confirm this is a CONSOLE ONLY review, or at least make PC gamers aware of the lack of MP dedicated server, and that the PC version uses the same console style MP system as the consoles.

MW 2 is by all reports a good game, just dont expect to be joining the MW 2 servers... there are none.

Ok i just played that mision again and it feature that scene.
Still dont know why i missed it the first time
Thank you anyway for the information

Doug:

AndyCobra:

Doug:

True, that bit was awesome. Just not for the astronaut ;)

can someone tell me what is up with the space thing cause i played and finished the Campaign and i never saw that scene

Erm, HOW?

Ok i just played that mision again and it feature that scene.
Still dont know why i missed it the first time
Thank you anyway for the information

ASnogarD:
You missed out the fact its a great CONSOLE game, but MP wise it sucks for the PC, the original MW is far better...and mark my words now, will live longer MP wise than MW 2.

Its a glaring ommission for a reviewer to miss out on.

The PC version is a direct and hardly touched port of the consoles, the only nod at the PC was mouse support. Theres even reports that the error messages in the PC game tell you to restart your XBox Live... seems to suggest IW couldnt even be bothered to change the error message text. (the report is unconfirmed, could be a photoshop ..but I read about this error in a few different sites under different contexts).

I suggest you either confirm this is a CONSOLE ONLY review, or at least make PC gamers aware of the lack of MP dedicated server, and that the PC version uses the same console style MP system as the consoles.

MW 2 is by all reports a good game, just dont expect to be joining the MW 2 servers... there are none.

Forgive the beating of a dead horse, but that is what I've been saying from day one!

The story and gameplay is dumbed down for the console players. The same thing happened to both System Shock (Bioshock), and Deus Ex (Invisible War - a dumbed down appeal to the Halo fans if I ever saw one.)

I definately agree with a good portion of you here, Mewtwo did not have a very long campaign; BUT if you read what IW had to say about it - they didnt want to make it any longer of a campain then CoD4 had. They wanted to stick with the "short and sweet" aspect of playing it, so after the fact your done you could move on to MP or S.O so that your not left in the dust.

Spec Ops missions were VERY short (gimme a bone here people) but were some what worth the challenging hours it took to play the stealth missions on only hardened difficulty.

Overall, I see this game as "We'll focus on multiplayer, then just throw in some random story where people are left confused and pissed off". Though fun, it was a jumbled mess.

EquinoxETO:
PC gamers - get over yourselves

Honestly shut the hell up. If you like it, fine, good for you. I'm fucking happy for you. But don't sit there on your high horse sneering at people who have a goddamned legitimate reason to pissed. M'kay?

Someone has stolen my exact thoughts!

Great review of a great game.

llew:
campaign= 7/10, spec-ops= 8/10, multiplayer= 4/10. COD4 had a much better multiplayer but COD6 has got a great campaign

*Twitches*
X_X
There fixed.
*Sighs relief*
:)
*edit*

HentMas:

squid5580:

AS opposed to oversimplified garbage that is Console games to make it more "accessible" to all.
Demon Souls had it right from the making of console games perspective. :D

Complexity makes it more interesting in a way but should not be overdone for obvious reasons.

Also consider what you're reading on the bus ride, lift home. The Manual :) It fills in some story between the games, or helps layout the story/setting for the new game.

HUBILUB:
Easy, you where trying to get close to Makarov so that you could get intel on him without pissing of the Russian government...

What intel are you talking about? I don't recall that ever being mentioned.

In fact, the objective was never clearly defined in the cutscene.

There was an objective in the level that said "Follow Makarov's Lead"

And considering the prior cutscene talking about how "It will cost you a piece of yourself", it sounds to me like this wasn't a last minute thing Makarov rushed you into...rather the CIA knew and was complicit.

Of course, I'm just guessing as much as you are to fill in the blanks...

rees263:
Maybe you didn't understand the story - if anything that level had more plot significance than any other.

Shepard: "You don't wanna know what it's cost already to put you next to him. It will cost you a piece of yourself. It will cost nothing compared to everything you will save."

I'm not talking about significance, I'm talking about sense. That level made no sense.

Makarov's importance is outlined in the cutscene. He is a drug runner, human trafficker, and has the blood of many on his hands. He is worse than Zachaev.

And yet your objective isn't to get close enough to Makarov to kill him, its to be one of his lackeys.

Why? We never get a reason and are left to guess why the CIA participated in that killing.

"It will cost nothing compared to everything you will save." Sounds to me like its one of those "sacrifice a few to save many" type of scenario. But how does that apply here? How does killing thousands in an airport end up saving millions later on? It is never explained.

Killing Makarov to save those thousands though...well that would make sense with this analogy.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gathering intel...pfft...the government already had enough intel to know the guy was a monster...why not end his life?

Zachaev had his arm ripped off for less...

dududf:
Also consider what you're reading on the bus ride, lift home. The Manual :) It fills in some story between the games, or helps layout the story/setting for the new game.

Does anybody remember the WarcraftII manual? Loved the lore and stories in it, especially the Chris Metzen art.

HentMas:

squid5580:

Me? No I am a 360 gamer through and through. There is subtle things that can be missed in a console game if you don't read the manual. Like sprinting in Eat Lead. Would have saved myself alot of frustration during the final boss fight if I had known that there was a sprint button (it took a couple hours and alot of luck but I was able to do it).

Just noticed one of the characters is Sgt. Foley.

I'm 95% sure he was a soldier in the first game.

I actually thought this was a good game (I did buy the 360 version though, COD 2 was the last COD on the PC that felt like it belonged there IMO). There were glaring problems in part, particularly the 'No Russian' level. The justification given confirmed for me that it was just a marketing ploy (which worked); this article sums up my feelings: http://resolution-magazine.co.uk/content/the-prison-of-choice/. Though I didn't really feel the campaign was any shorter than COD4 (though it was MUCH more stupid).

As far as the multiplayer goes (again NOT PC) I think it's just as strong, if not stronger. The air power is a bit off putting at first but once you get the stinger only the AC-130 and Pave Low (which stays far too long) present much threat. My main problem is the maps. They are all fairly claustrophobic (except Wasteland, though that tends to degenerate into a clusterf**k in the trenches) and there is little room for the great sniper battles that made maps like Overgrown, Creek, Crossfire, Crash and Pipeline such fun. I hope they release the originals to download, but knowing Activision, we'll just get 3 new maps at an absurd price.

squid5580:

HentMas:

squid5580:

Me? No I am a 360 gamer through and through. There is subtle things that can be missed in a console game if you don't read the manual. Like sprinting in Eat Lead. Would have saved myself alot of frustration during the final boss fight if I had known that there was a sprint button (it took a couple hours and alot of luck but I was able to do it).

The manual wasn't exactly worth much for MW2 though was it? It only had 4 game related pages.

The improvements to multiplayer look nice, but I'm not convinced. How is this worth paying another $60? CoD4 is still a lot of fun; I can't see the justification for upgrading. And since I play on the PC, it's actually a downgrade, because I've now lost dedicated servers, modding, and everything else that they have stripped out.

A couple new features is great, but this is MW v1.1, not MW2.

Honestly, I think this game is very tame. The single player was dumb and short, and the multiplayer is mostly comprised of maps that encourage constant camping.

Now Personally i haven't played the game, but i have heard everything from horror to shinning goddess of a game, in a reviews by people who have bought both the PC and the console versions.

While I haven't played the game myself I'm not really ready to shell out 60 bucks for it. It seems odd, and while the game might be a shinning example of what a game might be I'm gonna play Yahtzee here and be a pessimist. Personally if i was going to buy the game it would be on the PC, being that I don't own a console and I prefer my mouse for quick erratic movements. I gotta say the reviews of the PC version of this game kinda make me say "What the nelly?". I know consoles are big and they are easier to make games for and they are more profitable because there are so many of them but, it's like IW didn't even try on the PC version. It might be easier to update everything but, was ease worth sacrificing a happy consumer base? I say nah.

In no means do i think game devs should sway to every whim of the consume base, but seeing many well thought out reviews bring up the same things really does say that there is a big problem. Almost every PC review i have read has sighted the MP as a big concern in that their experiences was sub par to what they had been expecting and what they had become used to. Most people have said that the their are hackers and cheaters in the game and i gotta say i believe them. The lack of servers has lead to lag issues and even people being unable to complete a game because host keep getting dropped. It also seems a lot of people are angry that the game runs on STEAM, I personally like steam but I understand how it can be annoying to use.

As for the single player almost everyone has said its great, its scenic and exciting and over all very pretty, and when a big complaint is that the game is to short well i gotta say that awesome and you did something right. Personally I would buy the game for its SP but not at the price of 60 bucks. I feel like I'm reviewing the game and I have seen the title screen. I would have to say this might be the game everyone points to and says they are happy but disappointed with, its smart, innovative and very good, hard pounding, these are all from reviews I have read. and normally in the same review I'd would see words like disappointing, not worth it and to expensive. I even say one saying the game wasn't worthy of the "Call of Duty" name, that might me a little extreme.

Well there you have it a personal review from someone who hasn't played the game, in conclusion I can't say I hate this games or that I would never buy it, but i can say that there are some really big problems that need addressed quickly.

HentMas:

squid5580:

Like console games don't need a manual. Ever play a sports game on your console? Those have more buttons than most RTSs or MMOs, and what the buttons do depends on whether you are on offense or defense, in the middle of a pass or shot, checking or tackling, and a hundred other modes. Console games can be just as complex as PC games.

Both PC and console games have been moving away from manuals and towards in-game tutorials. I don't blame them; everybody knows that most people won't read the manual. Still, it's nice to have a manual, especially since many in-game tutorials only cover half of what you can do in the game, and it can be annoying to trudge through the boring tutorials when you could have skimmed through the manual. Whether the manual is a piece of paper or an in-game menu system, reference material is always necessary. It's not console vs. PC, it's about helping users learn a new system; it's HCI and user-interface design.

Kandon Arc:

squid5580:

HentMas:

squid5580:

The manual wasn't exactly worth much for MW2 though was it? It only had 4 game related pages.

I dunno. I haven't played it (just because I prefer unrealistic shooters like Borderlands over games like COD, I can go shoot people anytime but when do you get a chance to mow down some aliens?? :D). I just found it a bit odd that having to read the manual to figure out something related to the game would be considered a negative. Although it being 4 whole pages long really doesn't help his case.

too bad i cant just buy the single player, for like 30 bucks without mp. oh well, i guess ill wait till the price drops

Well I still will never get it, I unlike other PC gamers do not enjoy wasting money on shitty ports.

ReverseEngineered:

HentMas:

squid5580:

Like console games don't need a manual. Ever play a sports game on your console? Those have more buttons than most RTSs or MMOs, and what the buttons do depends on whether you are on offense or defense, in the middle of a pass or shot, checking or tackling, and a hundred other modes. Console games can be just as complex as PC games.

Both PC and console games have been moving away from manuals and towards in-game tutorials. I don't blame them; everybody knows that most people won't read the manual. Still, it's nice to have a manual, especially since many in-game tutorials only cover half of what you can do in the game, and it can be annoying to trudge through the boring tutorials when you could have skimmed through the manual. Whether the manual is a piece of paper or an in-game menu system, reference material is always necessary. It's not console vs. PC, it's about helping users learn a new system; it's HCI and user-interface design.

i never said anything about PC vs Console nor was i trying to flame, its just that I find PC games more complex, in regard that i have always needed to read the manual to find out wich keys are for what, and what i can and cannot do

and even in sports games you can learn fairly fast to do anything by just playing the game.

thats what i meant to say, i mean i was really weirded out by MW controllers (having played only Halo before) but i got the hang of them fairly quickly.

I didn't really like the story, seems like IW knew their story but they didn't know how to TELL their story but Spec Ops is surprisingly awesome but multiplayer w/o friends is a camp-fest, people sitting the entire match with a heartbeat sensor hoping some schmuck comes around. At least in CoD4 you can at best get 2-3 kills before somebody was gonna come by and shoot your ass, here there's so much hiding places that most of your killcams are just people lying prone going ADS at the doorway

Catchy Slogan:
Damn. Sucks to be that astronaut...

Love this game. Love the plot. Love the settings. Vehicle section was a bit , so-so.

Nothing should have happend to the astronaut, no explosion, let alone an emp, would reach that far into space, especially since space is a vaccuem, also there were many other elements to the story that made no sense at all, I won't go into detail for spoilers sake.

sooperman:

Teh_Doomage:
It's all praise with little to no downsides. This game is no where near perfect.

I feel the review should have focused more on the game's shortcomings rather than just what it does. There is room for lots of improvement in Mewtwo.

/steps off his high horse.

Does anyone else smell Mewtwo being reviewed in ZP?

I thought it was made abundently clear that it would be Dragon Age: Origins, a significantly better game too in my opinion.

Though, because it's about 10 hours long(4 campaign, 4 spec ops, 2 getting mp to work before realizing it sucks compared to cod4), he could fit it in his schedule anyway.

I felt this game was nothing more then a expensive,cheaply made expansion to CoD4

TheRealCJ:
Jesus, way to be a game critic.

I'm a massive Infinity Ward/Call of Duty fanboy, and even I had a plethora of issues with the game's story, playability, multiplayer, and price.

Sorry, but this makes me question what motives you had to give this a near-perfect review.

Agree

Looks like someone's hoping for IW to pay for their christmas vacations. While I'll agree that the singleplayer campaign is a glittering diamond nestled in the bellybutton of a fabulous bellydancer who just whispered "My room, half an hour" in your ear.... Well, the multiplayer was horrid. Oh, this is for PC version, not consoles.

Sure, consoles got a Multiplayer upgrade, but it's not like they had anything worth mentioning to begin with. For PC gamers, the multiplayer is the single worst game release I've seen in years. I'm serious, there's free mods available for almost every game-engine out there, that makes this multiplayer look like it was cobbled together by a monkey on drugs.

If you're reviewing the console versions, make a mention of it. And if you don't realize what a horrifying pile of rancid sewer waste the PC owners got, you've got no business working for a gaming magazine.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here