Zero Punctuation: Dragon Age: Origins

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Mirroga:

What are the differences between the consoles and the PC version?

In the PC version you can zoom out, move the camera freely while giving orders to your companions.
In the console versions you are locked into a "over the shoulder" perspective and can only switch characters. That makes it hard to keep the overview over the battlefield, place area effect spells/weapons and do flanking moves.

RyoScar:
STOP SAYING FIRST! YOU DON'T NEED TO SAY IT! WE CAN SEE YOU ARE!

but saying "second" is perfectly fine is it?

i cant believe he didn't review MW2 =o

The most original standard fantasy game I played was Myth whose standard affair was only humans and dwarves with the latter NOT being axe users but rather medieval pyrotechnics, not combat.

As for the contest I got bored with the winner since like all internet based games they can't hold their own beyond a minute or two... meh, at least someone actually did something.

Good stuff :)
I can deal with a Mass Effect game thats with swords instead of guns

I played the shout into headphone game. I just blasted my music, did the trick.. but i was unsure how iw as suppos eto win..

OT: Great review, i think il be getting DA:O at xmas =]

Great review, i'm surprised, i thought you would feel the same about it as you did mass effect. The first runner up (the imp one) was far better

i think im doing it wrong

i got 15 hours in on this game, im half way through the book

and i still have a girlfriend

>.>

Jannycats:
I can't believe that he complained that the game is too long. Wtf, I thought that playing a short game was bad and a reasonably-sized one was too boring. You can't really win with Yahtzee can you?

He didn't say that it was too long, he just said that he hadn't reached the ending.

Good review

Don't care for the game, though

And hell, what is with these "FURST DURR HURR!!!1!" retards? Seriously, are you THAT inescapably lonely and unhappy?

I'm glad that the cosmos was aligned properly so the space radiation allowed Yahtzee to review Dragon Age. He hit a variety of points about the game for better or worse and I have to say I don't disagree with him on any particular one. It's pretty interchangeable with other BioWare games but that said, BioWare's a highly decent developer and I, too, am still enjoying the story despite being 20+ hours into the game.

Ixal:

Mirroga:

In the PC version you can zoom out, move the camera freely while giving orders to your companions.
In the console versions you are locked into a "over the shoulder" perspective and can only switch characters. That makes it hard to keep the overview over the battlefield, place area effect spells/weapons and do flanking moves.

The ability to get the overhead view coupled with the indomitable keyboard/mouse interface makes me very, very glad I shelled out the extra cash for the PC version.

Oh, wait, the PC version is actually $10 cheaper in the US.

Suckers.

Fantasy/Adventure games are my area of enjoyment so when I can afford an XBOX 360, I will give Dragon Age Origins a try. Kudos sir for another excellent review. Any game that can make you prefer it to sleep means your either a perfectionist or the game is preferable to five more minutes of sleep.

I look forward to more work from you.

good review. I've also played 25 hours and GOTTEN NOWHERE

PC version is better btw

Even having played for 25 hours, he still managed one of his best reviews yet, where he makes a lot of fun of the game and a little of himself for liking it so much. Agree with everything, from the Bible-like adherence to Tolkien's version of fantasy to Bioware's crazy idea that players are going to read their in-game fantasy phone books.

Even so, I haven't started ACII yet because I keep wanting to do another 5 minutes to resolve just one more DA:O plot line.

With all the criticism, I thought he might somehow not like the game, but it turns out even Yahtzee can't completely dismiss this game on standard RPG cliche alone.

And now to go create the custom class "Shadow Humper" for my next play through of Oblivion...

Unphakin believable, I liked the game due to the dialog choices cause you could most likely either kill stuff or make them give you all their stuff and then kill it. Also making deals with all kinds of demons even tho they tell you not to. AND no stupid 'moral' choices, or a moral system at all, be either bad or good no one cares. Weeeeeeee!

Dissapointing! I wish for a Borderlands review :<

...is there a way for us to play these games?

This ZP was actually much better than most of the recent ones.

Blackadder51:

hamster mk 4:
In my defense, the tower defense genera is less saturated than the platform jumper genera, and mine was the only tower defense style game entered in the contest. I briefly considered doing a platform jumper as well, but I figured every one else would make platform jumpers and I was right.

If your the guy that made the defense game can i ask a question?

(well i am anyway)

What decided to do the weird resource thing, and to make your guys fade out after a while and was the boss level the last one?

BTW i liked you game better then the guy that got 1st

I have responded to your questions here:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.155870#3839919

Thank you for your kind words.

> Insert comment about how he should've played it on the PC here <

I agree with just about everything in this video. I really hate dwarves, dragons, and elves because they're always the same damn thing over and over.

Great game. Glad he liked it. And i rented it and finished it in a week on human. Loved it. But dont have the energy to play through again.

BlueInkAlchemist:
I'm glad that the cosmos was aligned properly so the space radiation allowed Yahtzee to review Dragon Age. He hit a variety of points about the game for better or worse and I have to say I don't disagree with him on any particular one. It's pretty interchangeable with other BioWare games but that said, BioWare's a highly decent developer and I, too, am still enjoying the story despite being 20+ hours into the game.

Ixal:

Mirroga:

The ability to get the overhead view coupled with the indomitable keyboard/mouse interface makes me very, very glad I shelled out the extra cash for the PC version.

Oh, wait, the PC version is actually $10 cheaper in the US.

Suckers.

Damn. That's a huge disadvantage. These are the times wherein it sucks to have a laptop as the only PC source. I'll have to check youtube again if I can enjoy the game with only over-the-shoulder view.

I'd probably be farther in the game if I stopped making new characters, I have one for each storyline. And an extra female dwarf for some reason.

I like the game a lot, even though it's the(apparantly) horrible xbox version.The big difference, my Xbox wont catch on fire trying to play it, my computer would.

I dunno, any game that gets me to stop playing fallout3* for any amount of time is pretty damn good.

*because I got drunk and saved over the character I beat the game with(DAMN YOU YUENGLING!)

This one's a renter.

"Hello, you are an Elf!!" hilarious. A lot of MY human friends have recomended this game, but they all play WOW. As for my other friends, well... they just like eating and fucking... and burning down the occasional house.

Rock 'n' Soul:
This one's a renter.

Good luck with that. Takes about 40 hours to play through (if you are fast but don't skip all conversations)

Ixal:

Rock 'n' Soul:
This one's a renter.

Good luck with that. Takes about 40 hours to play through (if you are fast but don't skip all conversations)

I guess so... replay value? Games are so expensive these days I'm not willing to jump on "classic fantasy rpg" right out of the gate no matter how addicting it might be.

fun review, congrats to the winners! the game's story looks interesting, but gameplay wise it looks point and click, not too interested in that

Hallow'sEve:
YAAAY! I was really wondering about this game, my friends all liked it.
I have to say, I share the same disenchantment and dislike with Yahtzee over the issue of the same "elf, human, dwarf, Tolkien" bullshit. That actually is what made me not want to buy the game, because it looked like the definition of traditional fantasy, of which I'm bored out of my mind from. But I'm guessing, from Yahtzee and my friends, that they do it so well that it's still engrossing and enjoyable as if it was something brand new.
(I'm still gonna rent it first though)

i know what your talking about wuth the whole tradtional fanstasy and how it can get bland after awhile i mean they could of put in drows as a playable race if they were going for dark fanstasy

DeathWyrmNexus:

TheAmazingTGIF:
If Mass Effect hated you for not spending several hours in the Codex, then Dragon Age will kill your family and desecrate their corpses if you don't.

Sadly enough, they actually use the codex more in Dragon Age since you have to learn some of your quest info in there. I rather liked it. *hides before shunned*

THOUGH IN MY DEFENSE I DID NOT READ ALL OF THEM!!! *flees*

Game is awesome, on my second playthrough and have about four more planned out. And I still manage to have sex in real life. XD

It is just really hard to find something specific in that codex. It is used a lot more, but there is just a fuckton of stuff.

Rock 'n' Soul:

Ixal:

Rock 'n' Soul:
This one's a renter.

I guess so... replay value? Games are so expensive these days I'm not willing to jump on "classic fantasy rpg" right out of the gate no matter how addicting it might be.

Well, several different origin stories and each of the main quests has at least 2 different outcomes (sometimes up to 4) which influence the endgame and which ending you get. Also you are limited to 3 NPCs in the party and the interaction between them is great which makes trying out different parties interesting.

By the way, here the character videos (all companions which can join your party except the secret one).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9i2KkWJLLco&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJLSdZLdhLo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtpLJNtMxQ0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sibKH5ViVyw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEDeMSg_phY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjeJf5hpj5w&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_kEGtZxnQ&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVztVbwFfa0
(DLC Character from Stone Prisoner)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgo5rNfr9YE&feature=related

I may pick it up if its as halfway decent as he makes it sound. I haven't played an RPG in ages (by ages i mean 3 months).

P.S - Effing Scunthorpe problem. We can't tell anyone where we are from, because of secret yet blatant offensive language.

Sbobbahorpe... yeah.

Great review, though I'm sure, had he played longer he would have complained that his character didnt enjoy sex at all.. haven't seen a more unsatisfied stoneface since Keanu Reeves as 'Neo' in 'the matrix'

And whats with the girls wearing collars? not necklaces, but collars.. though I'm not complainin but a little turned on instead. ... And if you strip you team down to their undies they are complete clones from the neck down? ... Wynne! close you eyes and you got a 18yearold.

Whats refreshing is the choice system.. yes you got the gooddy gooddy stuff, and your usual evil replies. BUT theres no evil characters.. even Morrigan I find likeable. She's got issues, no doubt, but she isn't evil just on account of being evil.

That gay/bi/dendrophile assasin-elf. Great! finally an american blockbuster game with balls to do that. And he shuts the f*ck up about it if your not interested.. Even better.

What I didnt like in Mass Effect, was their characters was so cliché.. I think Bioware has developed LOTS since ME with Dragon Age. There's new depths. You have to be sharper to understand you team, if you want them to like you.

And your choices isnt easy.. like the dwarf-thingie where you have to choose between a "nice guy, but Bad King" and a "lying backstabbin' bastard, but Good King".

twas good
like trying to read the manual while your first customer has it down your throut xD

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here