288: Crafting Oblivion

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Crafting Oblivion

When it's done, the recreation of Oblivion's Imperial City in Minecraft will consume more than a million blocks and countless hours of construction - and be a temptation that griefers will find nearly impossible to resist.

Read Full Article

Holy crap that sounds awesome!

Escapians represent :P

It looks awesome in game, those lot are legends ;D

Hello all, this is the same Blackadder51 from the article. We are currently doing this on the Escapecraft Minecraft server.

Forums are here.

http://www.escapecraft.net/phpBB3/index.php

And the IP is.

Escapecraft.com

Best of luck.

There will be no griefers...There will be Deadra. And when they come,Emperor Patrick Stewart will cry out "Close shut the jaws of Oblivion!"

And it will be AWESOME. Too bad I won't see it first hand.

An article? About our server?

What an honor.

I fired up Minecraft the other day, and sat there mining for maybe three or four hours.

Now, this may not seem as such a magnificent thing, but it is. I didn't do anything else. I mined. Found a cave, lit it up, buildt a shelter from it, and then proceeded to dig, deeper and deeper. A game that can keep me entertained while farming in such a manner is truly a great piece of design. I was happy when I was just carving out cobblestone. Imagine how I felt when I found gold, iron or diamonds?

I am, however, not one of those creatively gifted players who build immense replicas of grandeur, but I am thoroughly impressed with what the game allows one to do. The only limit with the game seems to be one's imagination, and that is something no other game I know of is capable of.

Minecraft is marvellous, and Notch deserve every little ounce of credit for his game.

Sneaky-Pie:
An article? About our server?

What an honor.

Indeed,this is a really amazing surprise.

Good luck to Black, Lathania and Lionheart. Once my exams are over tomorrow I'll join you and lend a hand like I promised a while back.

Could you offer

Blackadder51:
Hello all, this is the same Blackadder51 from the article. We are currently doing this on the Escapecraft Minecraft server.

Forums are here.

And the IP is.

Escapecraft.com

I've just logged in, but I am a bit lost. Could you offer some basic directions/orders for volunteers like myself who are new to the map?

I for one sincerely appreciate the idea of making the city in a normal PvE server as opposed to a sterile build only type. The reason is that outside the city, it will be the world as it is. It turns the city into more than just a gargantuan show-piece that people will just traipse around and leave. No this will be a part of it's own little world, where outside the walls will lurk those dastardly skeletons and creepers. It will feel complete. In summary:

[stands up and salutes the creators]

"Large as life (and twice as ugly)"

maninahat:
Could you offer

Blackadder51:

Forums are here.

And the IP is.

Escapecraft.com

I've just logged in, but I am a bit lost. Could you offer some basic directions/orders for volunteers like myself who are new to the map?

Gday!

Whats your user name and ill help :)

EDIT: Also if possible can move this discussion to the thread linked in the article, i would hate to fill this thread with off topic information.

maninahat's the name (here and in minecraft). I'm back at the spawn point ship wreck

Yeah this project was lots of fun to work on, I've been making intricate mob grinders to make TNT with. Blowing up the earth with 8+ stacks of legit TNT is very gratifying! :D.

Hopefully I'll be able to help in the future :)

-Herp

Eeh, we do similar projects on the official Escapist MC server too...

... though we certainly don't mine the materials. Geez, guys.

Can't wait to travel halfway across Escapia from my settlement to see the big city once it's done.
Good luck guys and don't let Black handle fire -.-

insanelich:
Eeh, we do similar projects on the official Escapist MC server too...

... though we certainly don't mine the materials. Geez, guys.

I hadn't realized Escapia wasn't the official server. Does that mean your server was started by a staff member?

Also, why play survival without the survival? I HATE servers where the Ops give out crap to people, It's incredibly fun to go out in to the wilderness with friends and create a settlement and build up from nothing. It's an experience like no other!

yeah, that's awesome, but seriously... a large mob trap can run up to around 400thousand blocks to mine so yeah... A ton of effort for a thing that might just damn disappear tomorrow.

I really do wanna give minecraft a go, and now that I have my own laptop I probably will. And the phrase "digital Lego" has made me sure I'm going to try it very soon.

Also, to John Funk (who probably won't read this but what the hey), outside my university library, there is a memorial thingy, loads of large upstanding slabs of stone,

I never read the words on them before but today as I was passing by I noticed the name John Funk on one of them, so I stopped and read it, I don't remember the exact works but it said something like John Funk from long Island commemorates his Irish ancestor George Funk or something, I dunno if its just a coincidence or maybe its the same John Funk.

Holy balls. That is........fucking impressive. And scarily awesome.

I hope this goes as swimmingly as it possibly can :)

Minecraft Normandy would be pretty awesome. Also, I can barely build a cave either.

ShadowKirby:
Can't wait to travel halfway across Escapia from my settlement to see the big city once it's done.
Good luck guys and don't let Black handle fire -.-

too late...

FWOOSH!

Also:

HUZZAH FOR ESCAPECRAFT!

the forums for escapecraft

I'm not so good at making stuff. No, if you want me to take a mountain down, I can do that.

heh, I just reinstalled oblivion. i wonder if they're including the sewers. either way that's really sweet. it's nice to see a "toy" for all ages that is bringing people together to built these large scale projects.

I know those people!

Fame by association methinks, and of course the untold wealth the Mountbatten Estate contains.

blast and damn-nation .... i should have acted... their already here... their defeat was only a delay... i should have started this when i was thinking about it 2 months ago =/

I like the idea, I'd like to help, but I don't think I would have the time and dedication to do something like this, just a little excuse to play multiplayer in survival mode to build something huge.

Also, looking forward to see how the Fire Temple and the Normandy goes.

To complete a project of this magnitude, the team would have to mine an area of 500x500 blocks all the way down to bedrock - or, roughly 1.25 million blocks.

That would imply that the surface is only 5 blocks above bedrock. It's more like 64 blocks in reality. What are the correct figures?

It's easily 15 million blocks to break... It's more then that, but I'm lazy so I did an easy round up.

Kudos on doing the work properly. I love survival mode, I can't play minecraft any other way. Of course I tend to build forts, mines, and shelters that can only be described as "Brutalist" Le Corbusier would be proud.

This got me google-ing for other Minecraft masterpieces. So far, every World Monument I've looked for has been created, or is in the works. The scope of this game is simply flabbergasting.

Minecrafters should be a bonus culture in the Civ games. +9001% to Wonder production.

Nice little server u got there, though the "scale" of the Imperial City isnt something i havnt seen on our own server, the Dutch "TweakCraft" server.
its also Survival Multiplayer with everything needing to be mined.

On our server we do loads of those 1:1 projects, ranging from the Towerbridge and Hogwarts to the Forbidden city in Bejing, with the Bejing project being 1500x2000 big.

this is a (work in progress) picture of Orthanc Dur from Lord of the Rings:

Feel free to look around though to build you need a friend on the server...

The server is at:
mc.grum.nl

The (dutch) website is:
www.Tweakcraft.net

'"What makes this project unique to others, is that we're building it in Survival Multiplayer," virtual architect Lionheart_1 told The Escapist. To Minecraft laypeople, this means the builders have to do everything by hand, rather than use level editors or specially designed programs as shortcuts.'

After reading this, I lost all respect for all the other people who made other remakes in minecraft.

Go team Lionheart! Good luck brave noble soul.

Congrats on getting this featured on the Escapist. I was glad that I was part of this for a short while.
Best of luck, and hopefully, this will become a famous project.

- Reaper

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or