The Big Picture: Magneto Was Right

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 17 NEXT

I know I'd be on Magneto's side. Especially if I had my dream power (being able to turn into any fictional character and use their abilities and have their memories).

He couldn't have been closer to the truth. Some of us still carry scars from those years.

I know that I would join the good guys, despite the abuse, although I would sympathize with the "evil-doers". I won't let all the normal people suffer under the revenge-fueled anger of the Magneto faction because some (or most, either way) have a prejudice against mutants.

It's just the type of person I am.

Well articulated Bob: I've felt uncomfortable with the nerd "reaction fantasy" of superiority, but never managed to give it a clear name.

Wow, there are a lot of Magneto supporters on the Escapist. The decision not to join his revenge club seems perfectly obvious to me. While I occasionally feel the urge to get back at those who have wronged me, it's not my job. (Hence the classic quote: "Vengeance is mine, saith the Lord.")

so... this brings up an important question in my mind. where are the INTERACTIVE power fantasies that will let me torment my tormentors with button-presses?

i guess what im asking is... WHY ISN'T THERE A VIDEOGAME WHERE YOU PLAY AS A SOCIAL OUTCAST WHO GETS SWEET BLOODY REVENGE ON HIS/HER TORMENTORS?!

Bully is as close as it gets to what I'm talking about, but I want visceral action and the ability to REALLY make them suffer. Playing as either the nerd who gets superpowers and saves the world or fucks his enemies up big time.... yeah. i want a game like that now.

I think it comes down to one thing, geeks and nerds are just annoying. In my class, there is this one kid who is really, a stereotypical nerd, he talks like one and acts like one. Every time he opens his mouth to make some snarky comment I just get the urge to punch him in the face.

Why is that? Well thinking about it now it could be the whole "superiority" thing, again. Nerds think they are smarter and better than the other kids, the other kids don't like that. People who are smart can be liked, geeks can be liked, its just based off of personality, and lets face it, alot of people on this site who are claiming "superiority" because they get picked on probably have a very reclusive personality, thus making them not likable.

So
f******
true....

I'd not pick a side. Just go after the individuals that'd done me wrong and make them suffer. Then repeat as people were cruel to me. Little point going over the "big picture".

MovieBob:
Magneto Was Right

This week, Bob looks at what it's like to be "different."

Watch Video

Bob, I really don't know how to say this(nor do I think you'll ever read it, let alone try to understand it), but one of your main problems is that you kind of have a big ego.
I mean listen to this, you say that you got bullied because you're special/different. Truth be told, we're all special/different in our own way. Someone is better at sports, someone is better at maths, someone is a better painter than you are, or is better read.
The fact that you may have been smarter than the kids that bullied you doesn't make you special. If it were a fight to the death aka gladiator style you would have probably been one of the most ununique fighter around.

But the main point is that you can't brand yourself as more evolved than any other creature just because you're better at something that most people aren't.

I mean a musician will always be better than a nerd if we compare them regarding better hearing and music recognition, but that doesn't mean one is more superior then the other.

+ How can you consider yourself better than the guys that made your life miserable if you keep that anger inside and unleash it on others people weaker than you? You just end up creating a vicious circle.

Also in your defence, people do tend to be bad towards others because of envy, because they lack something the other has. But look at it this way: you envy those that bullied you because they did it and got away with it, and you would like to do the same thing. That's not solving the problem, it just creates more conflict.

There is a saying form where I come: "The more smarter one always backs out of a fight."

Anyway I really doubt you'll ever bother to read this, but in case you do, I only wanted to give you a different view point(some food for thought).

I'd be an Anti-Hero like Deadpool!

Interesting video although Bullies do what they do because they feel they're superior and that they're bigger, stronger and better.

Why Magneto when...
http://www.comicvine.com/apocalypse/29-7612/

Theres my bet.

I suppose it's fortunate for the masses that Bill Gates could not control magnetic fields, because he certainly founded the latter team.

Look guys, I'm a weird nerd. I see that 'cos now I'm a cop. I hanged around nerds, I dated nerd girls. Wanna know why I was not bullied (not because I lived part in the US and other in Brazi), but simply 'cos I was not weak. Every time someone tried to bully me in school we ended in the principal's room. Bully likes to hunt weak persons. People who can not defend themselves. If you are in school level, and a bully is tormenting you, fight back. Not if a gun of course, you don't wanna be bullied in prison. Just fight back, wood and stone are not only made to build houses you know.
In short everyone fears a crazy guy if a stone in his hand. And let's face, not everyone is meant to like you, what does not mean that every single individual will not like you either.

That's a tough question. I think I'd go rogue and seek to fit my own benefits despite who has what allegiance muahaha!

A interesting aside about serial killers as mentioned in the vid. Here's the wiki page on my school.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen_Elizabeth_Grammar_School,_Wakefield
Go to 5.5 and look at the third and fourth names... Yeah... Go team...

Aynho, as much as I'd like to be able to hold the moral high ground and say I'd side with Prof X without a shadow of a doubt, I do find myself leaning towards Magneto's crusade. Blood for blood and all that...

Clarifcation: I'm a mixed race (black carribian and white scottish) girl from a family of socilist athists who is also an otaku/wota. so yeah, different...

I'll admit bob, when i read the description i thought to my self, "what the hell would *he* know about being different? I mean when the guns come out to defend 'our culture' against those who are different, people like bob chipman won't be on the exacution list."

But you handled it very well, so well that i would 100% agree with you and i now realise my previous thought makes me feel like a jackass.... :(

(Edit)But yeah to answer your question, i would really think hard about joining the brotherhood, there has been alot of injustice in the world but... i just have to keep thinking of people like MLK and knowing how hard it was for them to turn the other cheek...

Yeah i know i changed my answer from before but i was to hasty, you have to keep trying to be the person you want to be or this place will never be good... sure i've had a shit life so far (but but who hasn't) but life is what you make of it. And i think we can all agree there are people much much worst off than us. The way i see it if even one palestinian and one Israel can find it in themselves to want to work together for somthing like peace i know i can.

Team Xmen ftw, i guess.

Edit: but i wanna clarify that people arn't bullied because they are better than others (ie bill gates section of your vid) But it is because they don't act like others. I know alot of the smartest and nerdy people in my class were also the most popular because they had good social skills unlike me (this is somthing i can admit now. I don't really wan't 'revenge' on the people who isolated me).

But yeah i'm glad bob that you can admit that your lingering strong anger agaist those who bullied you in highschool is unhealthy. I was kinda worryed.

The Lost Big Boss:
I think it comes down to one thing, geeks and nerds are just annoying. In my class, there is this one kid who is really, a stereotypical nerd, he talks like one and acts like one. Every time he opens his mouth to make some snarky comment I just get the urge to punch him in the face.

Why is that? Well thinking about it now it could be the whole "superiority" thing, again. Nerds think they are smarter and better than the other kids, the other kids don't like that. People who are smart can be liked, geeks can be liked, its just based off of personality, and lets face it, alot of people on this site who are claiming "superiority" because they get picked on probably have a very reclusive personality, thus making them not likable.

Yep, couldn't agree more.
It's all about keeping you're head low and not letting your pride get the best of you.
I know that because my golly, I made so many enemies and broken so many good friendships just because I was full of pride and considered myself a godlike creature among my class mates.
Just now, one year after my graduation did I fully understand why I was always isolated and left out of the cool groups...

I still hope I can change and become a better person than I was back in high school.

I think there's more to "Because you're different" than people think. While bullying comes in different shapes and forms depending on where and who you are (I personally don't like the word, it overly simplifies a very complicated matter), I have seen a lot of cases where someone gets shit just for being different. I think if you stand out as "weird" or "odd", that can have an alienating effect on the larger crowd, unless you make yourself understood (which isn't always possible) people are just going to label you as a freak.

Honestly, I'm not even sure I believe in what I write. Like I said, bullying is so much more complex than "kids being mean to each others", there's really no way of simplifying it.

I'd join Magneto's side just to be able to go up to a certain someone to ask their name,only to have as an answer:"I'm the Juggernaut,bitch!"

HankMan:
As much as I'd like to turn the world upside down Movie Bob, I'm afraid I'd have to to stick with whatever side Wolverine is on :P

I thought Wolverine was just a guy that wanted to find out about his past?

Damn it, I thought he was cool! X(

hem dazon 90:
BAWW I WAS BULLIED

Get over yourself. Everyone gets shit in life the best thing to do is deal with it.

Did you just listen to the first sentence? I think you did...

Reported.

I will not become the kind of person i hate. But i don't know if i want to live with them either. Unfortunately i don't really have a choice though so i can either disown the world or work with what I have. I will work, holding on to the faint hope that i can make a difference.

Sorry, this question holds a lot of meaning for me as well.

Oh, wow, this show really gives food for thought like no other one.

Ok got it. Bob you can be Magneto, and I'll be Omega Red. YAY

But truly and intriguing arguement to say the least.

I'd join the X-Men. After I find a couple of persons from my school years and get that sweet revenge I've been dreaming of.

there'd be like, 2, maybe 3 guys i'd brutally torture while on magneto's side the first few months, then run back to Proff. X...that bald bastard is awsome, logen rocks and hey, they got a sweet mansion and the worlds best virtual reality CHAMBER for cryin out loud, i'd be gaming aaaaaal day

In this thread: People who were bullied wish they were bullies.

Mutants are a poor metaphor for racism and bullying. Bullying is what you call it when someone in a position of power abuses it. In the locker room, this comes from jocks picking on nerds, because force is eventually the ultimate debate technique. Punishing the bullies for personal justice is one thing. Punishing all jocks would be a very different thing. Sometimes Magneto kills some rednecks who murdered a defenseless mutant. Fine. Sometimes he tries to destroy humanity. BAD.

Aiddon:
hmm, choosing if Ian McKellan or Patrick Stewart is cooler, THAT'S hard. Speaking of which, Marvel vs CAPCOM 3 is out in 2 weeks (too bad there's no story mode though).

Y'know what, screw it, I'll be on the side of DEADPOOL

Good answer. Honestly, as much as I'd like to think I'd be a good guy, the fact is that I'd probably be evil... or chaotic neutral, like Deadpool. I just have a few too many psychotic supervillain tendencies.

I'd probably be with the 'bad guys' too :D

Woh Bob, I'm sure I didn't just hear you make fun of Michael Jordan. That man went through so much hardship to get where he is today.

Aiddon:
hmm, choosing if Ian McKellan or Patrick Stewart is cooler, THAT'S hard. Speaking of which, Marvel vs CAPCOM 3 is out in 2 weeks (too bad there's no story mode though).

Y'know what, screw it, I'll be on the side of DEADPOOL

My avatar and myself agrees with you good sir.

Aiddon:
I'll be on the side of DEADPOOL

I would say i would be on the side of Dante but....considering he recently passed away after making MVC 3...yeah, i'll go on with deadpool.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here