Zero Punctuation: Killzone 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Ekonk:
...You do know this game was made by the Dutch, not by Americans, yeah?

Yahtzee would never pass up a chance to make fun of Americans, even if he has to lie to us for it.

I liked it, but can see why others wouldn't. Review was strange though, focusing more on the aesthetics than the core gameplay. Multiplayer is a big part of the game too, but Yahtzee never mentions or plays that segment so I can't give him any shit for not mentioning it, but if you were curious about it, it has been reworked quite a bit.

Hating on the US is a ZP theme that's getting a little old now. But he's got a clear point about the Bad guys always being British, haha.

BlueInkAlchemist:

Ekonk:

So the Dutch are taking the piss out of the US of A?

I can get behind that.

must be deep burrowed hate finally being vented somewhere (Dunno why maybe cause the former dutch prime minister was so far up bush's ass that his toupet turned brown)

secretsantaone:
[
Well done for not reading my post at all.

Firstly, most of the things you listed aren't supportive of facist regimes, quite the opposite in fact.

Secondly, the Helghast are specifically portrayed to be similar to Nazis, from the uniforms to the German sounding name. It's all fine and dandy talking about the British empire, I'm no apologist, I know the empire was brutal, but it was not in anyway Nazi Germany, nor was it particularly facist, and the point is that the British are portraying the side they fought so hard against. It's like making a game based around the American revolution where the French fight for independance from the Americans.

Finally, are you seriously saying that because 'V for Vendetta' and 'Warhammer 40K' Britain is now asssociated with facism to the general audience? Really?

I read your post very carefully, I just think your wrong, and being needlessly defensive instead of rational about it.

Among other things you seem to think that there is really anything wrong with the Nazis as a military force or order or battle. It was very efficient, very effective, and took it's inspiration for a lot of sources. In fact there is a lot of good that can be said about Nazi germany in all respects. Hitler was an international man of the year before the war, and he was right about 99% of the things that he said, it was that 1% that was the problem. The thing that made him scary is that he was charismatic and well loved, despite how movies like to present him nowadays. He did not succeed because he and a handfull of maniacs, ruthlessly seized power and somehow managed to institute and maintain a reign of terror. The problem with that version (common to most cinema) is he never would have had the manpower to be a threat. What's more the propaganda in the US over World War II was so intense because he had TONS of people who supported him over here, the goverment seized as much control over the media as it did both to quash that, as well as the constant isolationist sentiment. The reality wasn't as simple as "Hitler was Evil, we realized this after pearl harbour and went off to save Europe by firing light out of our anuses". Even after Pearl Harbour a lot of people in the US still didn't want to go to war, or actually thought we should side with the Nazis (and the latter point was signifigant at the time, but forgotten to a lot of history, but there was some mention of it in the propaganda section of The Smithsonian when I visited in order to explain what some of the things on display were actually about, or made in response to). A lot of our espianage concerns in the US were not from Germans sneaking into the country or Japanese loyalists, though those were both factors, but largely due to Hitler supporters who were there to begin with seeking to undermine the US for what they actually perceived as the best interests of the US. Of course this is getting well off the subject. The point I'm making here is to say "wow, these guys seem Nazi-like in their trappings" seems kind of silly, when you consider a LOT of militaries did, and still do. Heck the "Imperial Guard" in Warhammer 40k uses a lot of nazi-like and stalinist inspired designs for uniforms and such. Also military forces generally don't go around calling themselves "the fluffy kittens" (unless it's some kind of joke), a term like "Helghest" or whatever sounds pretty intimidating, and that's generally the point no matter what side your on.

Pretty much all the examples I gave are VERY aggressive and facist in their outlook, it's just that they are typically presented as being justified. Heck, I'm sure if you were to look at things strictly from the perspective of the bad guys in Killzone (as opposed to your omniscient perspective as the game player) you can probably see how from their perspective they happen to be the good guys as well.

As far as a few works of fiction associating the UK entirely with facism goes, that's hardly the case. However, it's not like your presented as the straight out bad guys either. In fiction though Britan *DOES* tend to be associated with a lot of very dark, very gray material, where even the good guys are ambigious in a modern sense and tend to largely be "good" only when you look at things in an extreme "big picture" kind of way. The typical British hero nowadays, and this includes characters created by Brits, is a coated, eternally cynical wanker, with an extreme sadistic streak, who always winds up doing the right thing though oftentimes in the most obnoxious way possible. The general attitude for a British-themed hero, or one created by a brit, being that the world is so screwed up that the only way to deal with all the bastards in it is to be an even bigger bastard themself... and you know the messed up thing... despite what you might think from THIS post, I generally tend to agree with that point of view. It summarizes how I've seen the world for a long time now. Like most of those characters I myself am a miserable bastard, who hopes against the odds that in the end they will leave the world a slightly better place (even if unnoticable) by the time they are gone. It's sad, but I feel a lot of kinship with a lot of these characters, which is why I'm familiar with them.

Yahtzee seems to think Guerilla Games is based in America. It's in the Netherlands. Amsterdam to be more precise.

My brother got Killzone 2 for free with his PS3. I played a bit of it before I got too frustrated with it. A lot of what you mentioned for this review was some of the same stuff that annoyed me for number 2. I wonder if they kept the completely idiotic vehicle designs and awful gray color scheme.

And here I thought using a move controller might make the shooting easier. I find it amusing that my first impression of the game was 'Nazi's with spaceflight', although apparently it was everyone elses too.

The nod to 'Just Lather, That's All' at the end there was a good touch.

Silly Yahtzee, feeling down on account of stereotypes are we? Well get in line!
Ever saw any brazilians in videogame that were not highly deformed monsters, criminals, or just plain retarded?
I mean, in Modern Warfare 2 some US army dudes rip my state appart as if it was they backyard. And when that happened most of the world already knew, or at least heard of the movie "Troop of elite" that depicted the hard ass elite police squad we have (5th in the world). Talk about stomping on your nation's calusses... Well, nonetheless, I feel your pain.
I recognize that as far as the great tradition of "feeling britain", and the importance of such understanding of self to the development of labor moviments eons ago, the brazilian identity may mean squat to you. But it certainly does to me. And in some way I like to think I shared your thoughts.
Well, my best regards sir

Im English and I love that were the bad guys, their always the best characters anyway. Who would you rather be Bruce Willis or Alan Rickman? Mufasa or Scar? I could proberly find more but my crumpets are ready, I bid you good day.

Could be wurst.

YES! Now THAT was an old time Yahtzee post.

100% FUCKING FUCK YOU WRONG of course, except the parts about 3D (of course), which means 95% wrong, however let's not forget, FUCK YOU! Man, such a great piss taking!

Keep it coming, love, er, I mean, Mr. Crowshaw. There is no shark.

P.S.
Your audio setup is pretty much perfection on this one.

I hate 3D, it always gives me a whopping headache and makes me feel like dinner is revolting. Also, I've always liked the Killzone games, I've played thru almost a whole level per game (excluding this last one). That's probably why I like them. In my gaming career though I've only finished a few games : Zelda Orcana of Time, Okami (on Wii and PS2), Red Dead Redemption, Cabela's African Safari, Halo 2, Ratchet and Clank (all of them), Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Lion King on Sega, Call of Duty Black Ops. Take that how you see it, I guess I'm not really THAT dedicated of a gamer and I really tend to stick to 1st Person shooter types. I like Little Big Planet because I haven't gotten tired of elecrifiying and charcoaling my character.

Lol Yahtzee I think you got a LITTLE bit too upset over the point about the enemies being "British".

1.) The game was developed by a Dutch development studio.
2.) The US was actually helping Britain, not vice versa. Us commonwealth countries went to war with Germany years before the Americans.

The bashing of any other countries is getting old and it'd be nice to hear some other pissing ;P Come on we know you got it in you!

Hmm too much USA hate for me here now. I don't think I'll be watching Zero Punctuation anymore.

mptothedc:
Hmm too much USA hate for me here now. I don't think I'll be watching Zero Punctuation anymore.

Yeah me neither. Him not knowing this was made by a Dutch company hurts too much.

PunkRex:
Im English and I love that were the bad guys, their always the best characters anyway. Who would you rather be Bruce Willis or Alan Rickman? Mufasa or Scar? I could proberly find more but my crumpets are ready, I bid you good day.

Hwuh...? Who in their right mind wouldn't want to be John McClane? Scar I can understand but... Huh.

On topic, Killzone never really interested me, I always got the "LOOK AT HOW GRIM AND DARK WE ARE" kind of vibe, and there is only so many grey and brown color pallettes I can take. It gets kind of depressing.

twaddle:
why yes i would like to see your bugbear collection

As would I.

Personally though I'm surprised that after 170+ comments, this is only the second to mention bugbears.

Haderos:
3D today is shit, they should get back on trying holographics. When i feel like i'm in the scene i'll be awed.. not if some shitty dustclouds look they're flowing in my direction for a second. :|

This.

I swear they're trying and failing miserably on purpose at the "pop-out 3D" (you know, what 3D IS SUPPOSED TO BE!) and all it ends up doing is fucking up the colors and MAYBE adding some perceivable "depth" into the background (go watch Avatar in 3D, I guarantee you will hate it).

I dont' think that hating on Americans can get old. There's alot to hate about us, and yes I am American, born and bred. The majority of my life has been spent here on US soil, but the few outings (ok, so it's only one outing but I look on us as a country in a very different light because of it). For Harry's sake don't scream Anti-US bullshit, I consider my self very patriotic. It's just that I can only take so much bullshit from people who have thier head's shoved so far up their bums thats the only way they can deficate, out their mouths.
First of all we are ranked pretty high in giving aid to other countries and all that jazz, but our own poo isnt vaccumed up at home. We have our military forces cut down and spread so thin that the homefront(not the game) civilian soldiers have to get activated to come save the day. Then we start two more wars, Iraq and Afganistan. . .what the hell? And granted some soldiers have bad cases of PTSD, but who put a label on that jem? My husband got told by a VA doctor that "he looked like a faker" and didn't get help for his back. I'm sorry but excuse me? Then another soldier (who will remain nameless*the dirty dirty bleep bleep* gets a 10% disability rating for acne. . .WTF!!! and supposedly gets 90% for PTSD when the worst thing she had to deal with was acutally helping get the vehicles ready for missions. God help her if she acutally had to do anything, worthless human being.)
Then, we are soo soft. God help the average person if they can't get thier morning shower because the city pumped too much water at one time and blew our main water pipe( i work at a hotel too). You would have thought the world was coming to an end the way people whined and moaned and complained and bitched about it. Holy Mother of God!!! Last time I checked you can't die or even get slightly sick from lack of a daily shower. . would have to be quite a few showerless days really. I am still thankful*after my all expenses paid trip to Sadr City, Bagdahd, Iraq* that I don't have to worry about being mortered while on the John, booby-traps, RPGs or anyother nasties coming to join me while dropping the kids off at the pool. Hell, I'm thankful if there's a proper toilet, toilet paper, privacy for fuc*ks sake, other than nothing but a vehicle door and a poncho liner. We valued MRE boxes and ass*& tickets like they were gold. The worst toilet I've seen here in the US had a little bit of golden shower on the seat, as opposed to handfuls of shite becuase they dont have TP and use thier freakin meat beaters as a substitute.
I said alot of things, and didn't really give alot of actual evidence for my points (except personal experiences) but it is what it is. If you think Americans suck, then I say you are justified in not liking us and I totally understand. Thanks for being honest.

FoOd77:

PunkRex:

Hwuh...? Who in their right mind wouldn't want to be John McClane? Scar I can understand but... Huh.

I prefer Sarah Kerrigan personally.

She's my idol. :D

(Note that I haven't played Starcraft II yet, but I hear she got lame in that one.)

R1 has almost always been the "shoot" button for the PS2/3, at least as much as I can remember.

silv:
It's not working for me, anyone else have that problem?

Works for me!

This was a great video, the 'thanks internet' bit cracked me up :D best video of the last 5 or 6 definitely.

Great review Yahtzee, always fun to hear what you have to say about games.

Zhukov:
The part regarding the cover system had me laughing out loud.

It's true too. I lost count of how many times I scrambled for cover only to get my face shot off anyway. And I only played the game for about an hour.

You finished it then? Seriously the campaign is way too short, my girlfriend and I were just getting into the game on our third sitting then the credits rolled.

I thought I was original when I connected the Helghast to the Nazis. :(

I quite enjoy the US bashing, but then i'm Australian, so I can't exactly throw any stones...

Also, Yahtzee acknowledged the Ducth development thing on his Twitter. He says it doesn't matter since the game was still made with an American audience in mind.

Ekonk:

In the game, American accents are given to all ISA troops; so I think thats where he gets it.

I like the game, expected this from the review, and laughed at it. I hope Yahtzee never changes. I just wish that for once he would at least mention multi-player, I know he isn't a competitive gamer, but Killzone was clearly designed for competitive gaming, not to tell some Oscar winning drama narrative.

jesus, i wish it was only sony doing the gimmick thing.
-xbox has kinnect
-3ds has the 3d, though it would be hard in conversation otherwise

about the only console that doesnt is the wii, it does what the console was designed for, horrible motion control for the family (different to the 3ds as the 3ds is just a latter gen ds, no different than the huge shift from ds to ds lite).

this all makes me sad, and that kinnect lion thing still gives me nightmares and ive never even tried the kinnect.

bit_crusherrr:
Yahtzee gets it wrong again. Most PS3 shooters, infact all I've played (COD:W@W, Black Ops, Killzone 2, MAG, Uncharted 2 and so on) use R1/L1 for shooting and aiming, you can also change the controls so R3 isn't aim in the options. Doe's he even bother paying any attention to the games he plays now? In the DCUO review he complained that the targeting system switches targets randomly as he moves the mouse, he clearly didn't pay attention to the part of the tutorial that tells you how to lock targets. It just looks like he's finding any excuse to rag on a game without checking if it's a valid complaint.

One more thing, I'm pretty sure Killzone is made by the Dutch.

You know, this is the feeling I have got from ZP lately. sure, I know that ZP is first and foremost entertainment, but I like his rants ebtter when there is some truth to it. This, and many of the latest review, rag on pedantic trivialities that are either not nearly as commonas he makes them out to be, or takes about 3 seconds to get rid of.
There was once I would watch a Yahtzee video, be thoroughly entertained, and actually agree wholehartedly, though he of course exagerate. I could watch a review, and based on what Yahtzee was ranting about, identify flaws in a game that would irritate me too, and thus include that in my decission about whether I'd buy it. That was what was so great about ZP. It was entertainment, but it was also sort of... right. You couldn't dispute what he said, because truly, those problems and annoyances did exist in the game. But now, it feels like he is grasping at straws, and while he still makes great jokes, the fact that they seemed based on extreme pedantics and him not bothering to properly learn the game, they all feel flat.

Common Yahtzee. I used to laugh out loud when I watched your reviews, but lately they've hardly made me smile. I know you're a clever man with great insight, and wit and intellect befitting that of a God. You can do this better.

How come everyone feels the need to point out the exact same things in every comment here?
We get it, they're from the netherlands, not the US.

Your funniest review in a while, Yahtzee.

Bit of a fail at the begining there Yahtzee. Ranting about the US of A while the game was made by dutch people from a dutch company located in Holland.
Apart from that I couldn't agree with you more about this one.

Killzone 3 is actually much better than killzone 2 is the gameplay department. The controls and weight of the characters are much more refined and multi-player is quite balance and single player has a better storyline(one of the best FPS storylines) and campaign lenght as well.

Therumancer:

secretsantaone:
[
Well done for not reading my post at all.

Firstly, most of the things you listed aren't supportive of facist regimes, quite the opposite in fact.

Secondly, the Helghast are specifically portrayed to be similar to Nazis, from the uniforms to the German sounding name. It's all fine and dandy talking about the British empire, I'm no apologist, I know the empire was brutal, but it was not in anyway Nazi Germany, nor was it particularly facist, and the point is that the British are portraying the side they fought so hard against. It's like making a game based around the American revolution where the French fight for independance from the Americans.

Finally, are you seriously saying that because 'V for Vendetta' and 'Warhammer 40K' Britain is now asssociated with facism to the general audience? Really?

Jesus christ snip for wall of text

Now to tell the truth, I'm not that offended by all this. I mean they have to have some sort of voice don't they? I just don't understand why they would think British accents would be a good idea for villains they're attempting to build up as Space Nazis.

You're also arguing batshit insane things.

Firstly I never said the Nazis weren't effective, I said that they were facist and completely different to colonial Britain. It's bizarre you're even arguing about this. You then go off with a paragraph patronising me about the history of the Nazis then saying that Hitler was 99% right. Jesus Christ, I know he's been built up to be the devil by propaganda but if you think 99% of his actions and speeches were acceptable by even contemparary standards you're either delusional or an extreme right-winger. You then end with a completely unrelated conclusion where you attempt to argue that the 40k marines look just as much like Nazis as the Helghast. It's alright saying that they have elements of Nazi Germany. The thing is, the Helghast are actually fully designed around the Nazis. Have you seen their flag? Jesus, if you read the history of them it directly parallels the story of Nazi Germany.

You then follow it by saying that V for Vendetta and Judge Dredd justified a facist regime when the real point of them was to say it's so easy to sit back and let yourself become facist when confronted with a disaster/war/depression. I can understand how you might have got confused with Judge Dredd, but with V for Vendetta it's the ENTIRE FUCKING POINT.

You then go on to argue that typical British hero is a jaded cynical dickhead. With no evidence to back it up. There's no such thing as a 'typical British hero' probably because BRITAIN LIKE EVERY COUNTRY PUTS OUT A TON OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF FICTION. Seriously, if you really HAD to define a typical British hero, it would be an average guy caught up in extraodinary circumstances, which pretty much sums up 50% of all heroes. If you're really going to go down to it, 40K was way more popular in the U.S than in the UK which obviously means the U.S must be obsessed with facism by your logic. Britain puts out just as much grimdark cynical facist media as it does media about comedy gangsters in London, light-hearted sitcoms, historical dramas or Hugh Grant trying to get his leg over some girl.

I highly doubt if you asked the average non-Brit for some British stereotypes they'd respond with facist immoral Nazis.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here