Trailers: Portal 2: Panels

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I'm excited to see what the multi player is like and how it affects the game. The single player looks interesting too, especially as it is based on the single player. The story should be quite fun to understand. Hope they have just as much of a catchy tune as the first one.

Wow, watching the new Gamespot ad just makes it look even worse in comparison to this.

Fantastic little ad though, can't wait to see the rest.

"Trailer approved for all audiences"

*robot carnage ensues*

... I know they're robots, but I'm mildly traumatized...

Oh my. That's just much too cute...

Adverts have no effect on me - I'm not just some consumerist sheep.

*Pre-orders Portal 2*

What? That, sirs, was a work of art. 39 seconds of beautiful genius. A cunningly designed clip that can draw in any audience with a sense of humour - and lets be honest, what other audiences out there are worth drawing in?

Valve has been the game industry leader for years. Why is it they haven't been copied more than they have is incomprehensible to me.

That video is what happens when you have fun doing what you do!

The sad part is, there's still 26 days until release! :(

thenumberthirteen:
I thought Cave Johnson was dead. Perhaps that's the twist!

A truly great man. Inventor of the "Counter-Heimlich Manuver", and founder of the "Take A Wish Foundation".

No twist, it's been outright stated by Valve, during the Portal ARG, that Cave is alive and well, his brain's been downloaded into a computer. Which is great, because this raises the 'GLaDOS was human' theory to serious possibility.

If that is just the first I'd love to see the rest! I am so GLaD I have my preorder down!

Okay, that made me laugh out loud. No really, I laughed like hell.
xD

Absolutely hilarious. Then again, it's Valve.

Valve is probably one of the few companies able to do good in house ads. And now i want Portal 2 even more.

Ha ha ha ha.

"That is not a panel." Game's not even out yet and we're getting great lines already. Can't wait.

Okay, so the other Portal ads were funny, but not hilarious.

THIS. Made me shoot milk out my nose. Though maybe because Cave Johnson reminds me of a slightly less Australian Saxton Hale, but by GOD. The combination of crushy-death-violence and completely-serious voiceover is the pitch-blackness Portal is all about, and I'm glad to see it's back in full form.

Long story short, that was the funniest thing so far tagged to Portal 2 and if the game is even half as funny as that it's worth every cent.

This is how all marketing should be, humorous, great voice overs and gives you an urge to purchase the product.

That was an awesome ending, yet it fit in perfectly with the rest of the ad.
BRAVO, Valve.
Also, I agree with the above.

Raiyan 1.0:
Don't forget rap music and SAVE AMERICA!

Yeah, because quirky funny ads would work for EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER.

When i saw the link at the home page i thought it was some pax east thing with valve running a panel.

Great trailer. But that "documentary video game Portal 2" has me intrigued.

EA <-- Learn from this

I love those two robots, I'm convinced there's some Unresolved robosexual tension between them. Never the less I'll be more motivated to keep them alive they're so cute :D

I am not sure that this ad does what an ad is supposed to do.
There are basically three groups of people out there:

Persons who liked portal and it's humor and therefore will consider buying portal 2

Persons who didn't like portal and it's humor and will propably not buy it soon.

Then the third group which is the one you are advertising to: Persons who don't know anything about portal. These folks won't get the the ad. All they will ask is "What's the difference between science and apperture science?" or "Why would I buy such a thing?" or "What tests?"

I might be wrong here, but as far as I understand advertisement it's supposed to bring your product to new customers, which you propably won't achieve by this kind of insider-advertising.

I am glad they didn't go with marketing people this stuff is amazing. I really cant think of any other commercial I would want to watch more than twice.

Frostbite3789:

Raiyan 1.0:
Don't forget rap music and SAVE AMERICA!

Yeah, because quirky funny ads would work for EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER.

Er, what? When did I say quirky funny ads work for everything?

Exterminas:

Then the third group which is the one you are advertising to: Persons who don't know anything about portal. These folks won't get the the ad. All they will ask is "What's the difference between science and apperture science?" or "Why would I buy such a thing?" or "What tests?"

I might be wrong here, but as far as I understand advertisement it's supposed to bring your product to new customers, which you propably won't achieve by this kind of insider-advertising.

Actually, the previous trailer shows off the core gameplay mechanism of the game quite effectively. That one was probably aimed at the demography not familiar with the franchise. This one, on the other hand, is definitely for us old fans.

killamanhunter:
Valve has the best sense of humor in the industry. Something all the other publishers forgot about.

Na I think their is a certain sense of humor is EA ad campaigns in that they are soo laughable bad we need to believe their not realy serious and are just giving us the image

joebear15:

killamanhunter:
Valve has the best sense of humor in the industry. Something all the other publishers forgot about.

Na I think their is a certain sense of humor is EA ad campaigns in that they are soo laughable bad we need to believe their not realy serious and are just giving us the snip

Dear god I hope you're right. Regardless, Valve know that people who play their games have their own little memes, and play on that to make them seem like "one of the guys" and more relatable.

pliusmannn:
Oh damn I somehow get the feeling that we will be able to construct our own maps. Knowing Valve they would not forbid it but still will not implement it like Bethesda does in their games

A reading from the Prophet Valve

Portal 2 Store Page:

Editing Tools: Portal 2 editing tools will be included. Note: To be made available after launch.

wammnebu:

A reading from the Prophet Valve

Portal 2 Store Page:

Editing Tools: Portal 2 editing tools will be included. Note: To be made available after launch.

I think I just excited myself! I'd love to make my own portal maps, just to mess with the physics.

I have a feeling we'll be seeing more portal sequels with different mechanics ripped from relatively unknown indie games (portal1: narbarcular drop, portal2: TAG).

I wonder what they'll implement for portal3?

I laughed so hard, i watched it twice, maybe more later :D

"That's not a panel, that's a crusher... we sell those too."

Excellent.

"Safe". Tell that to the robot being smacked around by a panel..

All and all, very nice. If this is what valve can come up with to sell their product, they should have tried this years ago.

Exterminas:
I am not sure that this ad does what an ad is supposed to do.
There are basically three groups of people out there:

Persons who liked portal and it's humor and therefore will consider buying portal 2

Persons who didn't like portal and it's humor and will propably not buy it soon.

It's because this particular clip is for mainly for the insiders and to generate hype in gaming circles. The TV short that was just released is targeted at your third group.

I just love how calm and pleasant his voice is. This game is going to be absolutely brilliant. Losing the marketing dudes was the best idea they've had!

kurupt87:
That was bloody brilliant. Apparently getting rid of marketing people to rely on their own sense of humour was an awesome thing to do, go Valve.

i agree these are the best adds i have seen in ages

Need portal 2 now

So much win! Cave Johnson's voice is fantastic!

One question: Why isn't this trailer available on Steam?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here