Pro-Gamer Gauntlet: Pro-Gamer Gauntlet: Pilot

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Good concept, poorly executed, just not funny.

I like the horror games master, and the rpg games master, their acting and line was priceless. Oh, and I can't tell weather this is a legitimate business or just a show. I mean are they actually the best of the best, or just decent gamers that are acting like masters.

What the hell was this?

When I saw the premise, I was excited. The perspective of 11 gamers from 11 different genres? Sign me up. Instead, awkward unfunny skits with one-bit characters.

Between this and Jimquisition, it really seems like The Escapist is having a rough time finding new content. Surely there can be food for thought in videogames beyond making them (Extra Credits) and reviewing them (Zero Punctuation). Why not get a pro gamer to actually talk about playing games, rather than making unsubtle pop-culture references?

Hey, I remember this. Great concept... less than great execution. Still I'm eager to see what they'll bring to the table, and what sort of adventures will befall Girl in Short Shorts.

Retro Master pulls the 'innappriately excited' thing perfectly.

...Hey, this doesn't mean 'Show About Games Show' is done for, is it? I shall display my sorrow through a large emoticon, do notice that more underlines mean more sorrow: T______________________T

Penguinplayer:
The guy getting "patched".

That made my day.

Same here... Never knew they sold aimbots and hacks in the back alleys...
Only in America I guess...

Um.. Does the logo remind anyone else of the Pure Pwnage logo at all..? Seems awfully familiar..

Not confident in the writing. Might tune in again at episode 30 or so to see how things have changed and improved. Acting and pacing could use a lot of work, too. I'm unmoved.

The concept is great - the RPG Master chewing the scenery is wonderful, but the rest of the jokes would be substantially improved by tighter editing. For example, the ending "Rough neighborhood" line is about a three-second joke that goes on for over ten seconds.

I didn't really know what to think, its a bit over the top, the concept is questionable. Although, like many people have said, it has potential and it'll be interesting to see where it goes next. Good luck I guess.

On a different note, I believe that more shows should be scouted for there considerable previous success (e.g. LRR, Yahtze and the like). The film festivals produce about one in three good shows. Doomsday Arcade is the only great one I can think of at the moment, though there might be others.

I have to be honest, that was painful to watch. I think there's an interesting premise in there somewhere, but it just felt like gamer-culture reference or stereotype after another with out really much of a point or punchline. Oh look a Zelda reference! Oooh an achievement unlocked! That character is dressed like Lara Croft (which isn't an FPS by the way)! But why?

Well, that was fun o.o

Although I have to admit I'm not quite sure if the girl was actually signed on in the end or not >.>

Thanks for all the awesome feedback! We are glad to be here on the Escapist.

This is a very plot-driven series which you all will have the opportunity to dive into next week! It wasn't quite clear in the pilot, but we do have 12 main characters each of which is very unique. So for those of you who like plot and character development (as well as comedy) you're in for a treat!

Equip your helmet!

I'm looking forward to seeing more of platform master "...you've just been patched." XD

I loved the RPG master at the end "It's like letting FF13 be published, it should have never happened" I don't hate the game or the FF series it was just the way he said it.

Butah P:
Other than Retro Guy, it looks to have a lot of promise. His acting is way too over the top.

But this show isn't meant to be that serious (it ain't Lord of The Rings). On that note- I think everyone else is under-acting, and he seems to be the only one enthusiastic about being in the show.

Seems like a good show.

Can't wait for the future videos. For some reason the video took FOREVER to load, and I've never had the same problem with any other videos :/. Kinda slow at the beginning but definitely shows tons of potential.

this looks fun.

Hrrrrmmmmmmmm...I dunno. I think I chuckled once..maybe twice. :(

I've gotten to see some of PgG's upcoming episodes, and so I can honestly say the Escapist is in for a treat. The charm stays intact, but the comedy gets tighter - and he's got big plans for the story arc. So really, this is no lightweight new series entry - it's gonna be boffo with extra drizzles of boffo sauce.

HAPPY AND EXCITED

This actually looks like it might end up being funny. I love the Internet.

I remember this one from the Video contest, and I enjoyed it then and enjoyed it again now. I am definitely looking forward to seeing more of this series.

Captcha: first tioretie

I guess "tioretie" means "Episode" or "Webisode" in Captcha-land.

SIXVI06-M:

But this show isn't meant to be that serious (it ain't Lord of The Rings). On that note- I think everyone else is under-acting, and he seems to be the only one enthusiastic about being in the show.

It's a bit out of place is the point. He's not really acting like a retro gamer, who I imagine would be more like Comic Book Guy from the simpsons. It'd be like having Patrick Stweard in a Transformers movie, in full Picard mode, complete with a Picard Speech among the idiots, douchebags, and the two ni... ebonics-bots.

Paul Hearding:
We have always been open with our viewers. The viewers are the reason that shows exist in the first place and we make a point to emphasize the importance of your feedback to our project. There doesn't have to be a huge divide between content creators and the viewers.

Haven't you guys already made the first 4 (5 including the pilot) episodes? as well as the mini "ask a master" segments over at http://www.progamergauntlet.com? How are you going to incorporate feed back if you have already made the show? or are you starting new just for the escapist?

Greenansatsu:
This series looks like it has a lot of potential, I really enjoyed what I saw except for a bit of overacting in places. I am going to have to wait to see where the plot goes, my only hope is that this series has a planned ending, instead of being infinitely episodic.

Cheers on the new series and best of luck. (great casting decisions btw)

Seconded. Instead of writing my own thoughts I'll just quote this person. It's roughly how I feel.

The Random One:

...Hey, this doesn't mean 'Show About Games Show' is done for, is it? I shall display my sorrow through a large emoticon, do notice that more underlines mean more sorrow: T______________________T

If I had to guess, sense it's not on the new vid scroller, that more likely this is a replacement for Creature Caster Master,

This COULD be awesome. But I agree with the random poster #4, retro guy was a bit overacting.

In a dictionary, the definition of nerdasm is this video.
I love the reference mixing. Its hard to pic favorite parts when all are so good. I personally favored the "sandstorm" and "Youve been Patched" parts.

OniaPL:
This COULD be awesome. But I agree with the random poster #4, retro guy was a bit overacting.

I think it is part of the character. That he is kinda fakish. Consider the part when he is freaking out about the first FPS person then on the phone instantly goes back to overly cheery.

Saelune:
I think it is part of the character. That he is kinda fakish. Consider the part when he is freaking out about the first FPS person then on the phone instantly goes back to overly cheery.

I understand that. But I felt like the show failed a bit in bringing the "real" retro guy alive. No problem with the overly cheery marketing/business mode.

THis looks AWESOME

maybe

Well not as awesome as Pure Pwnage
but still awesome

This is... not funny to me in the slightest. I'm sorry, it seems that you guys worked really hard on this, but this just isn't working out. Maybe I'm being overly harsh, after all pilot episodes are usually saddled with having to explain the concept in question. Maybe when we get into some actual scenarios next week the show will be funnier. However, I'm not holding my breath on that.

Good concept and definitely a lot of potential even if some parts felt a bit off. Made me laugh though so I'll definitely keep watching

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here