No Right Answer: Best Western Film Ever

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

"3:10 to Yuma" for sure. The remake that is. Great film, and I loved every minute of it.

On a side note, LAAAZY EYE! Laughed my ass off at that! Classic!

The Proposition?

Ok, set in the Australian west, but still.

WaaghPowa:

Primus1985:
A few dollars more (A western remake of the classic Yojimbo, story was remade again in Last Man Standing)

Pretty sure it was Sanjuro, Fistful of Dollars was Yojimbo.

Sorry my bad, get those mixed up .

Seven Samurai was the best western clearly. In fact, all of Kurosawa's films were the best westerns. Or at least were made into the better ones.

WaaghPowa:

Hero in a half shell:

Has to be a Fisful Of Dollars.

I should mention that Fistful of Dollars is actually originally a Japanese Samurai film, though it was a good movie, I don't think I could consider it as the best western knowing that.

It was, but that Samurai film was inspired by the style of John Ford's westerns, so the plaigerism I mean inspiration comes full circle.

A lot better than the last one, but the product placement is getting to me, in this and in the drinking game.
Anyway, pretty hit and miss for me, it all depends on the subjects at hand I guess.

Do these guys do anything else? if so, I want to watch it.

I like this show. It's both fun and educational. Fival just feels more like a real western to me. BTTF3 is more of an improv western.

FAIL these are not to western movies. both these movie are spoofs of the western movie. though i like both movies this is not a serous conversion or just a massively miss-informed conversion.

Out of the two debated Back To the Future 3.

Personally The Magnificent Seven.

Either Unforgiven or the searchers for best western IMO

Not bad, this was quite entertaining.

It's not one of the better shows on the site but I was entertained throughout. Keep them coming. :)

lunncal:
Definitely Serenity.

Actually wait, I'm only saying that because it's the only western movie I've seen...

...and it only counts if you accept "sci-fi western" as western...

So... anyone got any good examples of a western for someone who hasn't seen one before?

Silverado is a great starter Western. The remakes of 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit are also fantastic.

TOMBSTONE.

The End.

Once Upon A Time In The West for me.

Yojimbo. It's a western, but then with samurai. It's pretty good. By the same guy that did seven samurai, Akira Kurosawa.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yojimbo_(film)

Out of all the ones I've seen I'm gonna say Butch Cassady and the Sundance kid. Though my knowledge of Westerns is limited.

Krunkcity3000:
TOMBSTONE.

The End.

You need to watch some better westerns my friend. But I'll be your huckleberry, it is a damn fun film.

Unforgiven is (in my opinion) the best film in the Western genre, but it's more of an anti-western than a true one.

Now, the Dollars Trilogy, they're some good films:

'I don't think it's nice, you laughin'. See, my mule don't like people laughin'. Gets the crazy idea you're laughin' at him. Now, if you apologise, like I know you're going to, I might convince him that you really didn't mean it...'

And of course the original True Grit is a classic:

He tilted his head, turned to the camera, asked what the best western ever was.

I turned it off.

Who are these people and why have they been given two shows?

The Great Train Robbery (1903) defined the genre, High Noon perfected the formula and Seven Samaria reinvented the idea of the Western. Top Three Westerns.

Tarantino now has to show up at your house and punch you in the mouth.

Also, you guys better be swimming on free soda next time.

Whilst you where chugging Jones Soda I was chugging cheap Dutch immitation vodka.
Whatever helps you sleep at night, right?

In your case there was indeed no right answer, but seriously.
Probably The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Not that I know many westerns...

Too bad we don't have "cream soda" in the Netherlands.
I would try it, a drink that is "buttery": very, very mysterious and thus interesting! :D

Calbeck:
Best Western film ever?

Star Wars. Natch.

Ninja'd. Star Wars even has the hat and duster as of the new TOR trailer :)

Once upon a time in the west.

Best Western?

Django.

I would say The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford BUT I am reluctant to label it a western - its more a character-piece that happens to be set in that period.

Flying Dagger:
He tilted his head, turned to the camera, asked what the best western ever was.

I turned it off.

Who are these people and why have they been given two shows?

Well, you can't really complain seeing as you didn't actually watch the show, now did you? Go back, watch the show, then we will see if you still hate it. Otherwise, stop complaining about things you know nothing about.

Shane....
what? it's a classic!

But from the debate, Back to the Future: Part 3

Thank god I am not alone in thinking Tarantino has gone down a deep, dark path and should probably just retire before it gets any worse. First few movies = really good, everything else that came after = total tosh. His Kill Bill trilogy missed the mark by a mile in trying to emulate kung-fu movies, mostly from some pretty basic mistakes any Chinese director simply wouldn't have made. His grindhouse movies might have limped by if Rodriguez didn't also make the same genre in partnership with him and BLOW HIS MOVIES OUT OF THE WATER by comparison. Well said sir, and cruelty indeed to cut you short mid rant!

Flutterguy:
Blazing Saddles

yes, this

You guys are... loveable. That's the term for it.

Firefilm:
The Jones Soda is real product placement. They send us free soda to review the flavors!

They gave you guys a good one this week. I was a big fan of the cream soda myself. I'll bet if I asked them real nice, they'd probably send me some free too, but not because I'd be plugging it.

I personally don't even think a western could be in the running without John Wayne or Clint Eastwood in it.

I actually mute the video during the Jones soda part because they lay it on so thick.

I'm also done watching this show. I don't find it entertaining.

Best Western ever? Surely it's either an animated film or a sci-fi film.

I like the way you think.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or