Jimquisition: Ubisoft

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Eomega123:
Thank Jim for Jim. And yes, would everybody kindly stop bitching on forums and then buying the game anyway? I haven't bought a single EA, Ubisoft, or THQ game since I found out what they were doing, and I've still managed to have a great time with some great games from companies that don't screw over their customers.

THIS.

We let companies get away with this crap. That's why they do it. A good number of people know that EA is the devil. Do you think it's impacted their sales at all? Hell no. So why would they change the way they do business? As long as people refuse to take responsibility for where their money is going they are going to continue to get treated like crap by corporations.

Scumbag Ubisoft:

Needs funds from Rayman: Origins to make Beyond Good & Evil 2, releases Rayman: Origins on the same day as much more higher profile games.

Jimothy Sterling:

Waffle_Man:

Jimothy Sterling:

Jim Sterling loves you. He is your light.

Then why does he always wear a dark coat?

Black naturally traps light. Ergo, I he literally walks around carrying light with him at all times, like a fat Jesus.

after that last post...i laughed my arse off... bravo to you good sir

We need to spread this video, because so long as there's a stupid moron willing to get screwed by Ubisoft, whether it be ignorance or indifference, Ubisoft will continue to get away with this shit.

I can't believe people still buy anything from Ubisoft considering the incredibly steep decline in quality their games have suffered over the years.

Also yes, I think the whole Assassins creed series is shit.

Thats how companies make money. lol It sucks but we have a choice whether to buy it or not. Still sucks though.

Also Beyond Good & Evil 1 didnt sell well so why would they make a 2nd one? If your dumb enough to buy all these other games then your an idiot.

I agree with 98% of what you said Jim. But I will not worship you, and Assassin's Creed 2 was awesome...once I cracked it.

Swifteye:
How do I play a game without supporting the people who made it?

You do what those corps are always bitching about--you buy it used. *evil grin*

EDIT: oh, right, low content.

Ummm...

Jim is the new god? I for one welcome our new trenchcoated overlords.

I knew from the start where that ending monologue was going... and yet I still kinda enjoyed it.

Good work, Jim.

I don't think anyone worships Ubisoft. The people who keep buying their games do so, I believe, because at some point in the past of their major franchises, a game came out that was really good, and the consumers keep hoping beyond hope that that will happen again and somehow Ubisoft will fail to screw them over with the DRM this time. Not gonna happen, but hope is a powerful thing.

Ubisoft is just one of many reasons why so many people hate France.

I didn't even know Rayman Origins was released the same day as AssCreedRev... Rayman was poorly marketed then they complain about how not a lot of people buy it? for shame...

Waffle_Man:
Worship Jim? When is the last time he interacted with me?

When was the last time god spoke to you? You can't expect that kind of interaction. I'm just glad he's finally solved his identity crisis and realized that he is in fact God.

Eomega123:
Thank Jim for Jim. And yes, would everybody kindly stop bitching on forums and then buying the game anyway? I haven't bought a single EA, Ubisoft, or THQ game since I found out what they were doing, and I've still managed to have a great time with some great games from companies that don't screw over their customers.

Pretty much this. I don't know how anyone can be excited for a Ubisoft or EA game anymore, every time I've bought a game from them in the past it's always been a miserable experience due to their obsessive, controlling, and derisive behavior. The sheer audacity of their actions and contempt for their actual paying customers is unbelievable.

I've long since stopped buying from any corporation that tries to screw me over and I've been much happier for it. Sure, I miss out on the big titles, but at least I don't have feelings of self contempt for giving money to idiots. They deserve nothing.

Good episode. Nothing I didn't already know but having a proffessional say it is pretty strong validation for my own personal boycott

Say no to DRM or online activation. And say no to anything published by a public company. Executives, board members, and stockholders are all parasites, they don't deserve your money.

Yay, Assassin's Creed 2 DID suck oh so much. Finally, a professional opinion that agrees with my own on that one. Also, let us not forget the debacle of Beyond Good and Evil HD. I don't know why no one online has pointed it out in news stories or reviews, but that port was utterly riddled with game breaking bugs and camera problems. When Ubi Soft never patched it, it was revealed that the game was made under contract, the team was disbanded, and they would never fix the many basic problems with it because they didn't feel like it.

Rayman Origins was awesome though.

I liked AC2 and stuff :/

I liked his breakdown at the end.

tippy2k2:
Holy smokes Jim, after that ending, you're about an industrial accident from becoming a super villain...(Preemptive Strike Edit: Archonic Energy told me it's from Big Bang Theory, Thanks AE!).

In other, more useful commentaries: I almost fully agree with you on Ubisoft being the horrible horrible horrible game company that they are but I don't think it's their fault.

It's your fault! Not "you" specifically, but "YOU" gamer who continues to support the company. "YOU" person who bitches about these things in forums and then swings out and picks up Assassins Creed Revelations the next day.

Now, if you're fine with Ubisoft's practice, then I have no problem with you purchasing their games. I'm not going to judge the person who doesn't mind the DRM and chooses to support the games; that's well within your rights to do. But "YOU" who complains about it and then tells Ubisoft that you're OK with it by purchasing their products (the only true voice). "YOU" need to wake up and realize that "YOU're" the problem.

This is a nice ideal to have, and normally I would agree with you. However, with Ubisoft, Activision, THQ, EA, and basically every publisher who isn't Valve (that said even they take the fucking piss sometimes) all pulling similar amounts of objectionable bullshit, refusing to buy games from companies that piss you off is like saying that you never want to play anything other than indie games made on a tight budget ever again. Not that there's anything wrong with indie games, but I don't want to restrict my gaming horizons so far just so I can be safe from being called a hypocrite on internet forums.

Maybe that makes me weak, and the sort of person who probably deserves to get ripped off and strung along by greedy corporations, but, there you go.

OT: Great episode Jim, but the fact that you called my favorite game of all time shit means I have now had to put a price on your head. Just a heads up. ^.^

The last new game I bought from Ubisoft was Assassin's Creed.

The last game I bought from Ubisoft was Assassin's Creed 2.

Waffle_Man:

Jimothy Sterling:

Waffle_Man:
Worship Jim? When is the last time he interacted with me?

Jim Sterling loves you. He is your light.

Then why does he always wear a dark coat?

It's to keep his all powerful brightness of his godly albino body from causing you to become combustive from sheer awesomeness.

...I really need to get to sleep. XD

I worshipped Jim before it was cool.

I think my only Ubisoft title at this time is Far Cry. I understand some people, generally from the sandbox lovers posse, liked Far Cry 2, but I found it more akin to a spittoon, and I'm just wistfully thinking of how nice it would be if the TBA Far Cry 3 were more like the original.

Swifteye:
Ubisoft seems like a pretty bad company. But Rayman seems to be a pretty good game. What a bind. How do I play a game without supporting the people who made it?

Between this. EA and capcom it's feeling like we should stop buying games for moral reasons.

You should just buy the game. The thing is, buying a game that does everything right sends them the message that "hey, I like games like this... and I'm willing to buy good games you don't infest with DRM and rip-off DLC."

At the same time, don't buy the games that do things badly (most Ubisoft games).

For example, I hate Capcom. They rip people off with DLC (charging for cheat codes and difficulty modes? Really?!), and they whore out their franchises and piss off their fans.

But I'll buy Resident Evil: Revelations, because it does everything right, has no online passes, no on-disc DLC, no "superior version" coming in a few months, and it returns the series to its roots instead of watering it down to appeal to the mindless masses.

That doesn't mean I'll buy Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City or RE6, though. I love RE games, but I buy the ones that do it RIGHT to support the titles that Capcom handles WELL.

Ubisoft should be the same way. Rayman Origins is innocent enough; it is the sweet child with the terrible parent. You are allowed to buy that game and support THEM, and maybe that'll make the parent company wake up and go "oh, maybe our games and our customers deserve more respect after all."

I don't give a monkey's shit about UbiSoft (post 2005), Jim has already said all the nasty things I think about Ubi, aside from their shitty DRM, they have only released one single game I'm interested into and that's Rayman Origins and no, I'm not counting their stupid re-releases or their shitty ports, I'm talking about new games.

Now, I've already rented Rayman Origins for the Wii (I'm not paying $77 for that game, God bless my country) and I freaking loved it, imagine my love/hate surprise that the game would be released for the PC. On one hand, I no longer needed to salivate at the thought that I needed a super computer to emulate the Wii just to play this game in my computer with a proper controller (aka, the 360 controller) and in HD resolution, but on the other hand, their shitty DRM.

Granted, they already said that the disc release would not include a single bit of nasty DRM, while the digital release would only require a 1 time activation, what does that mean is anyone's guess, they got away with it with From Dust and Driver San Francisco.

I just hope this doesn't turn like another Crysis Warhead, where I buy the game, and later I find myself hunting it's "better" version in questionable torrent sites due to it's shitty DRM.

I get annoyed whenever I heard someone say that rayman origins wasn't worth 60$. It's a gorgeous game with fantastic music, and it has great gameplay and is very long and challenging. Just because it's 2D it isn't worth 60$? Yes, the release timing was abysmal, but it was still worth the money.
Also, I hear Ubisoft changed the DRM in Driver SF so you only had to be online upon log-in, so maybe they're learning?

Too bad Ubi gets all the shit thrown at them and Blizzard gets to walk away clean because they thought about making up some sob anti-cheating story.

Oh and Jim, sorry, but your new intro is ... lacking in the personality department. :(

RobfromtheGulag:
I worshipped Jim before it was cool.

I think my only Ubisoft title at this time is Far Cry. I understand some people, generally from the sandbox lovers posse, liked Far Cry 2, but I found it more akin to a spittoon, and I'm just wistfully thinking of how nice it would be if the TBA Far Cry 3 were more like the original.

Why did the hipster burn his tongue? He drank his coffee before it was cool.
I thought Far Cry 2 was pretty much universally thought to be bad. I mean, I didn't hear anything good about it, and I certainly found it boring and repetitive and slow and tedious and cyclical and dragged out and monotonous and.... never mind.

Also, why are THQ evil? I must have missed something. And I don't care if they are evil, I'm still getting DoW3.

Lol, Jim I thought the ending would be tasteless there for a while (atheist here BTW), but then it moved right back up to hilarious xD

I accidentally clicked "report" on this thread. I'm horrified, because I agree with Jim most heartily this week! I have a boxed retail copy of Assassins Creed 2 and have never even bloody installed it because I've got a crappy Virgin Media cable broadband connection that likes to drop out on you, so why even bother? Sod you, Ubisoft!

Hey, Rayman Origins is good and it didn't have DRM to speak of. It was perhaps a little too expensive on launch, but everything is too expensive on launch. I'd put it's price at the same as any Mario game, and he always gets top billing on the Wii or DS.

What I'm saying is that it was worth the same as what any real good game should be worth. Whatever that is.

As for your argument that it was supposedly holding back some other game I've never heard of I can't exactly care. Or that it came out at the same time as a bunch of other games that I couldn't afford. I could get one game, like most consumers, and I picked the one I wanted the most. That's all you can really do.

And now I know that you can do that to the Pixie's skirts. Huh. Now I gotta show that to my husband later.

You're british and I'm french... Yet I'm going to approve your message (not to the point of worship). Ubisoft has just been screwing gamers around these last years, it's really annoying. It's sad that they realeased Rayman Origin during this period, it's a good game !
Also to refer an earlier episode since the first time they decided implementing DRMs in their games I haven't bought a single game from Ubisoft (Stopped at Assassin's creed 1) ! Good boycott for good reasons !

Ok, that last bit was funny.

Well, if anyone from Ubisoft ever reads forums like these, I'd like them to know that there is at least one gamer who doesn't own any Ubisoft games and won't buy any, even the well reviewed games like the Assassin's Creed series and Rayman Origins simply because of Ubisoft's terrible DRM practices.

I actually would like to play the AC series, but I won't, plain and simple. From all I hear they are great games (mostly) and I would probably enjoy them. Unfortunately I won't, simply because Ubisoft has about the worst DRM practices in my opinion.

Sorry Ubi, but here's one person you'll never see one red cent from.

Ubi is really selling a 99 cent game for 40 dollars...?
Are you sure its not 99 cents for some special deal promotion thing and will soon bump back up to something higher?
I'm sorry to question you, it just seems....beyond evil to do something like that to their fanbase.

There are no gods. Only Jim. (Bioshock reference)

LOL, but as for today's topic: I'm surprised Jim didn't mention the cherry on the bullshit sundae, which is the "SIGN IN TO PLAY" thing with Ubisoft games. With no other games have I had to make an account to play than the Ubisoft games Assassin's Creed II (I agree that it is "shit," because I certainly don't care enough to play more than 2 hours of it.) and Rayman Origins.

Seriously, WHAT IS THE POINT, UBISOFT?! (other than to bug me to the point where you have to make a damn good game in order to persuade me to buy from you, of course)

Well that logical jump took longer than I thought it would. So are you two separate entities or is this like a uh Holy Binary where you are the same person but not?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here