Escape to the Movies: The Raid

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Awesome, I'm sure in a few weeks it'll be on Netflix but "The Raid" might be a movie I need to see in the theater, like, Right now!

On the topic of AP: During that first minute in the AP Rant I kinda fell like that guy that is being yelled at about a topic and I'm wided eyed going 0.0 "Ok damn, I get it, you don't like it... jeez"

I mean tbh, I liked the AP movies when they came out because they were aimed at my demographic back then since I was still in high school and I remember a few friends I going to see it and thinking it was AWESOME. Now I am older I have no desire to see the new movies or re-watch them, better things I rather watch.

*shrugs* I guess I needed to have the whole "High School Sucks" 4 years to understand the rant and rage but IDK, I'm just sayin'

Yes, we get it Bob! High school must have sucked for you for one reason or another. I'm glad that the Escapist pays you to pad out a review so you can say how much you hate American Pie just because it involves high school. Why is this guy still around?

tdylan:

Kaulen Fuhs:
Sounds like Bob ruffled some feathers with his American Pie comments. Little close to home for some of you?

If you truly believe that, you either failed to read and/or understand the arguments against Bob's comments, or you're terribly obtuse.

Or, I believe most of them to be disingenuous.

Kaulen Fuhs:

tdylan:

Kaulen Fuhs:
Sounds like Bob ruffled some feathers with his American Pie comments. Little close to home for some of you?

If you truly believe that, you either failed to read and/or understand the arguments against Bob's comments, or you're terribly obtuse.

Explain why if you want to be throwing accusations around. Considering the detailed length that some people have gone into, I would like to see what flaws you point out.

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

tdylan:

Explain why if you want to be throwing accusations around. Considering the detailed length that some people have gone into, I would like to see what flaws you point out.

Disingenuous. As in, not sincere. Not necessarily flawed, but I wonder how many people are just offended because he stepped on some toes, and don't want to be called out for liking a shitty series of movies, so they invent a list of grievances to express their anger.

Fox242:
Yes, we get it Bob! High school must have sucked for you for one reason or another. I'm glad that the Escapist pays you to pad out a review so you can say how much you hate American Pie just because it involves high school. Why is this guy still around?

Because people like you continue to watch his videos, even whilst bitching incessantly about it?

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

Disingenuous. As in, not sincere. Not necessarily flawed, but I wonder how many people are just offended because he stepped on some toes, and don't want to be called out for liking a shitty series of movies, so they invent a list of grievances to express their anger.

But to be insincere would insinuate flaw due to the accusations not being held by the poster as true aka a fancy way of calling someone a troll.
By saying the posters are insincere, you have to state how they are wrong in what they have stated. You further follow the notion of the posters being wrong by saying they enjoy "a shitty series of movies" and therefore they have "invented" the accusations.

If they have invented the accusations, point out where they are wrong, or how the logic of the posters are wrong, otherwise it is merely you who is stepping on toes by throwing around baseless claims.

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

But to be insincere would insinuate flaw due to the accusations not being held by the poster as true aka a fancy way of calling someone a troll.
By saying the posters are insincere, you have to state how they are wrong in what they have stated. You further follow the notion of the posters being wrong by saying they enjoy "a shitty series of movies" and therefore they have "invented" the accusations.

If they have invented the accusations, point out where they are wrong, or how the logic of the posters are wrong, otherwise it is merely you who is stepping on toes by throwing around baseless claims.

Not sure what part of this you're struggling with...

For the record, most of these people are factually correct. Also for the record, I have no proof of their motives.

I just think many of them are reacting out of some misplaced sense of indignation, and not because they really think Bob should stop doing this in their show. If he took time to complain about, say, Fox News in each of his segments, how many people would complain then? My guess is not many.

tdylan:

OZITOMAI:
i agree with you moviebob, i actually quite hated american pie, its just crap to me and i am quite interested in the raid, thanks for a good review

How many times has Bob reviewed other movies without feeling compelled to explain why he reviewed it, and not a different movie that released the same weekend? Several. Yes, AP is a mainstream movie that many would expect him to review, but on a site such as the escapist, I don't think that Bob's regular audience would have held it against him that he chose to review Raid instead of AP. I think many of us would have inferred "The Raid seems much more Bob's bag."

I enjoyed the original AP. The only character that was a douche was Stiffler. Everyone else either reminded me of myself (Jim, Finch, and Kevin, each on their own way), or guys I knew (Chris Klein) that were the jock/athlete, yet managed to not be an abrasive douche. I envied Chris Klein's character because he had a great physique, and in my mind must have been "getting all kinds of action." I didn't hate the guy. My nerdy self wanted to BE Chris Klein. I wanted to look like Chris Klein, and be good at sports like Chris Klein. But you know what I didn't do? I didn't let me envy drive me to hate/loathe/despise Chris Klein's character.

Everything that I know about Bob, I know from his videos and here's what I've gathered:

- In the Sherlock Holmes review Bobs said that Holmes is a man that loves proving how much smarter he is than everyone, so as you might have guess, Bob "loves him some Sherlock Holmes"

- In the Scream 4 review Bob, quite bitterly, states that he used to be the guy that was "cool and interesting" because he knew all of the movie tropes: "he knew movies crazy good. Name a movie, he'd seen it. Have a trivia question, he'd answer it. He was "the movie guy." Sure, it wasn't much a talent. It was something. It was his. But then one day there came a horrible decade called "the 90s." And in the 6th year of the horrible decade, something happened that would change this boy's life forever. Thanks to scream, every jackass with a VCR learned how to talk about cliche, genre formula, and other stuff only movie geeks used to care about. And that little boy from earlier, he could no longer use, or even admit to possessing what used to be "his special skill" without having to hear the cringe inducing response: "kid! you sound just like that guy what was in scream, yo!" But hey, it's not like I've got an ax to grind or anything."

In the 90s, Scream was released, and Bob's single, unique talent was **** on by it. People began associating him and his intellect with Jamie kennedy's character from the movie. After that, Bob's talents were no longer deemed "unique" in his mind. He became less of a "mystic sorcerer," and more of "party trick."

- In "Jennifer's Body" he admits that film geeks only like to crap all over marginally talented, hot actresses like Megan Fox because they're using them as proxy punching bags for all the girls that wouldn't sleep with them in high school, but so???

- In Chronicle he says "Part of me wants to give it some grief for going the "bullied kid goes nutzoid" route...but was I rooting for the "villain" when it came down to it? Do you have to ask?"

From this I gather that Bob not only thinks he's smarter than most, but he enjoys showing (off?) his intelligence (Sherlock Holmes). He had found his niche, enjoyed showing it (off?) by telling people about the nuances of movies, answering their trivia questions etc (Scream). Then Scream was released and ruined his special ability. Now he hates everything about the decade (1990s) that gave us the movie that made people fail to realize how much smarter than them he is. He continues to hold a grudge against the pretty girls that wouldn't give him the time of day (Jennifer's body).

With his intellect I would think that Bob would put reason, logic, equality, fairness, and justice above anger, angst, jealously, hatred and petty revenge, but I really don't think that given the opportunity, he would (Chronicle). I believe that he wanted to give the movie Chronicle grief for going the "bullied kid goes nuts" route but he didn't, because he himself dreams of being able to go nuts on the audience that he feels films like AP are aimed toward.

When I watched the original AP I thought "man! I wish I had a bunch of friends that I could share such an adventure with." I tried to have that kind of relationship with my friends and they called me out on "watching too much American Pie." I was awkward like Jim, hopelessly romantic like Kevin, and tried to act aristocratic like Finch. AP was one of the funniest movies that I saw at the time. But I was in my late teens.

Bob, I read a quote that I try to reflect on whenever possible:

"We are products of our past. But we don't have to be prisoners of it."

Pretty much this. Let's not forget the man's mean spirited tirades against people while questioning theit intelligence over matters of taste (Transformers, The Expendables) and claiming that they are threats to society. Then there's the tirades against people who didn't like Other M and and the Mass Effect endings and how they are holding the industry back ten years.

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

For the record, most of these people are factually correct. Also for the record, I have no proof of their motives.

I just think many of them are reacting out of some misplaced sense of indignation, and not because they really think Bob should stop doing this in their show. If he took time to complain about, say, Fox News in each of his segments, how many people would complain then? My guess is not many.

If they are not wrong, then that is what matters, and you can't go around spouting childish shit like "ALL DER AMERICUN PIE FIUMS ARE BAD!".
You fail to see the point. American Pie is not intrinsically bad. Fox News is because News should be professional and unbiased; Fox News is neither.

Fox242:

tdylan:

OZITOMAI:
i agree with you moviebob, i actually quite hated american pie, its just crap to me and i am quite interested in the raid, thanks for a good review

How many times has Bob reviewed other movies without feeling compelled to explain why he reviewed it, and not a different movie that released the same weekend? Several. Yes, AP is a mainstream movie that many would expect him to review, but on a site such as the escapist, I don't think that Bob's regular audience would have held it against him that he chose to review Raid instead of AP. I think many of us would have inferred "The Raid seems much more Bob's bag."

I enjoyed the original AP. The only character that was a douche was Stiffler. Everyone else either reminded me of myself (Jim, Finch, and Kevin, each on their own way), or guys I knew (Chris Klein) that were the jock/athlete, yet managed to not be an abrasive douche. I envied Chris Klein's character because he had a great physique, and in my mind must have been "getting all kinds of action." I didn't hate the guy. My nerdy self wanted to BE Chris Klein. I wanted to look like Chris Klein, and be good at sports like Chris Klein. But you know what I didn't do? I didn't let me envy drive me to hate/loathe/despise Chris Klein's character.

Everything that I know about Bob, I know from his videos and here's what I've gathered:

- In the Sherlock Holmes review Bobs said that Holmes is a man that loves proving how much smarter he is than everyone, so as you might have guess, Bob "loves him some Sherlock Holmes"

- In the Scream 4 review Bob, quite bitterly, states that he used to be the guy that was "cool and interesting" because he knew all of the movie tropes: "he knew movies crazy good. Name a movie, he'd seen it. Have a trivia question, he'd answer it. He was "the movie guy." Sure, it wasn't much a talent. It was something. It was his. But then one day there came a horrible decade called "the 90s." And in the 6th year of the horrible decade, something happened that would change this boy's life forever. Thanks to scream, every jackass with a VCR learned how to talk about cliche, genre formula, and other stuff only movie geeks used to care about. And that little boy from earlier, he could no longer use, or even admit to possessing what used to be "his special skill" without having to hear the cringe inducing response: "kid! you sound just like that guy what was in scream, yo!" But hey, it's not like I've got an ax to grind or anything."

In the 90s, Scream was released, and Bob's single, unique talent was **** on by it. People began associating him and his intellect with Jamie kennedy's character from the movie. After that, Bob's talents were no longer deemed "unique" in his mind. He became less of a "mystic sorcerer," and more of "party trick."

- In "Jennifer's Body" he admits that film geeks only like to crap all over marginally talented, hot actresses like Megan Fox because they're using them as proxy punching bags for all the girls that wouldn't sleep with them in high school, but so???

- In Chronicle he says "Part of me wants to give it some grief for going the "bullied kid goes nutzoid" route...but was I rooting for the "villain" when it came down to it? Do you have to ask?"

From this I gather that Bob not only thinks he's smarter than most, but he enjoys showing (off?) his intelligence (Sherlock Holmes). He had found his niche, enjoyed showing it (off?) by telling people about the nuances of movies, answering their trivia questions etc (Scream). Then Scream was released and ruined his special ability. Now he hates everything about the decade (1990s) that gave us the movie that made people fail to realize how much smarter than them he is. He continues to hold a grudge against the pretty girls that wouldn't give him the time of day (Jennifer's body).

With his intellect I would think that Bob would put reason, logic, equality, fairness, and justice above anger, angst, jealously, hatred and petty revenge, but I really don't think that given the opportunity, he would (Chronicle). I believe that he wanted to give the movie Chronicle grief for going the "bullied kid goes nuts" route but he didn't, because he himself dreams of being able to go nuts on the audience that he feels films like AP are aimed toward.

When I watched the original AP I thought "man! I wish I had a bunch of friends that I could share such an adventure with." I tried to have that kind of relationship with my friends and they called me out on "watching too much American Pie." I was awkward like Jim, hopelessly romantic like Kevin, and tried to act aristocratic like Finch. AP was one of the funniest movies that I saw at the time. But I was in my late teens.

Pretty much this. Let's not forget the man's mean spirited tirades against people while questioning theit intelligence over matters of taste (Transformers, The Expendables) and claiming that they are threats to society. Then there's the tirades against people who didn't like Other M and and the Mass Effect endings and how they are holding the industry back ten years.

I forgot about his dislike for The Expendables, claiming anyone who likes it is a bad human-being. The Expendables is nothing but a testosterone fuelled hark back to the 80's at the expense of a few old men, and yet ironically Bob likes Sucker Punch, which is nothing more then a completely sexist nerd wet-dream. A critic free from bias? Sadly not always.

tdylan:

OZITOMAI:

So damn true.
If any guy hates American Pie then I do question where they were placed socially during high school and what bitter results have come of this.
Also, I do question anyones critique ability if they praise Sucker Punch yet obsessively hate AP.

The Cool Kid:

Fox242:

tdylan:

I forgot about his dislike for The Expendables, claiming anyone who likes it is a bad human-being. The Expendables is nothing but a testosterone fuelled hark back to the 80's at the expense of a few old men, and yet ironically Bob likes Sucker Punch, which is nothing more then a completely sexist nerd wet-dream. A critic free from bias? Sadly not always.

Let's not forget the time that he claimed that people who like movies like The Expendables or Transformers are full on threats to society and shouldn't be trusted with voting or driving cars.

The Raid does look pretty awesome. I'm a huge fan of martial arts and I've heard nothing but good things about this. Going to check it out soon with friends. Also, I quite like the American Pie movies...I only started seeing them two-three years ago and I enjoyed them. Still...apprehensive about the new one. Thank god we haven't had ANY advertisement in my tv-less uni accommodation hell-hole.

people calm down about Bob hating on the American pie movies in his review...i mean it HIS review.

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

Then perhaps you should have said that in the first place. And whether or not people would complain about Bob complaining about something else on a regular basis is irrelevant. The point that most people made when commenting had very little to do with his vitriol for a particular set of movies. The primary focus was the pathetic nature of his angst ridden comments about high school and the implication that, if high school didn't suck for you, then you clearly are one of "them" and thus can't possibly appreciate why I hate all things that aren't up to my nerd standards.

People watch because when he actually does what he is supposed to be doing, he is a fairly competent reviewer of movies, giving the gist of what you will see without spoiling it for them. They watch because this is the site they have chosen to come to for some of their game/movie information.

Bob can and does say whatever he wants, and people don't have to watch, however, this works both ways and both Bob and the "people" running the Escapist benefit from the traffic. THEY put up comments section, so if they don't like the criticism, THEIR solution is quite simple. Stop showing the videos or remove the comments section altogether.

launchpadmcqwak:
people calm down about Bob hating on the American pie movies in his review...i mean it HIS review.

And the comments section is OUR review of his review, do you honestly think the only reason for having them is to pat this guy on his back? I am pretty sure there is enough of that going on at the Escapist, no need for us to do it as well.

launchpadmcqwak:

If he actually dedicated the episode to reviewing American Pie it would be a different matter. You're right, it is HIS review, but it was supposed to be "HIS review" of "The Raid." So for him to take such satisfaction in disappointing those that he thinks wanted him to review AP is as unprofessional as him calling Michael Bay a douche bag. Which he eventually apologized for doing as he does not know Mr Bay personally. The opening boiled down to:

"Oh? You were hoping for me to review AP. Well HA! HA! I'm not going to! U MAD, BRO?"

Do you remember when Bob reviewed "Machine Gun Preacher," without feeling it necessary to explain why he was reviewing it, and not some other movie that came out that week? It should have been the same here. He could have simply reviewed "The Raid" and made no mention whatsoever of AP. I'm sure there would have been comments asking "why no AP review?", but he could have explained that in an episode of the Big Picture, or Intermission. Instead, he cheats the people that watched his review of The Raid hoping for an in depth review of THE RAID, in order to grind his ax for AP, its audience, and all that he feels they represent. It's unprofessional.

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

If they are not wrong, then that is what matters, and you can't go around spouting childish shit like "ALL DER AMERICUN PIE FIUMS ARE BAD!".
You fail to see the point. American Pie is not intrinsically bad. Fox News is because News should be professional and unbiased; Fox News is neither.

It matters to me. If it doesn't to you, then why are you still arguing with me?

theApoc:

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Then perhaps you should have said that in the first place. And whether or not people would complain about Bob complaining about something else on a regular basis is irrelevant. The point that most people made when commenting had very little to do with his vitriol for a particular set of movies. The primary focus was the pathetic nature of his angst ridden comments about high school and the implication that, if high school didn't suck for you, then you clearly are one of "them" and thus can't possibly appreciate why I hate all things that aren't up to my nerd standards.

People watch because when he actually does what he is supposed to be doing, he is a fairly competent reviewer of movies, giving the gist of what you will see without spoiling it for them. They watch because this is the site they have chosen to come to for some of their game/movie information.

Bob can and does say whatever he wants, and people don't have to watch, however, this works both ways and both Bob and the "people" running the Escapist benefit from the traffic. THEY put up comments section, so if they don't like the criticism, THEIR solution is quite simple. Stop showing the videos or remove the comments section altogether.

I did say that at the beginning. Or were you referring to my admission that they are correct? Because that is beside the point.

Just doesn't make sense to me to complain about something that will not change. Will not.

EDIT: You know what, I stand by what I said. Going back through the comments, most of the ones I see go something like this, "Wahh, Moviebob insulted my particular movie going demographic in a review of his! I am offended!", not, "Moviebob, your show should only be used to review the movie, and not to slur the audience". Don't get me wrong, that's in there too, but only incidentally to the whining for the most part. Maybe people should practice what they preach, because it's really insincere to want Bob to do something solely because your hurt feelings are vested in him doing so, especially when you can just stop watching the minute he goes on his spiels.

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

Then you are pressing a pointless and illogical path of thought meaning your entire argument is devoid of reason, sense and isn't worth anything in the slightest.
Therefore saying it matters to you is no better then the crazy old man who spouts that beans will conquer the world just before he shoots up.

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Then you are pressing a pointless and illogical path of thought meaning your entire argument is devoid of reason, sense and isn't worth anything in the slightest.
Therefore saying it matters to you is no better then the crazy old man who spouts that beans will conquer the world just before he shoots up.

What about my argument is meaningless? I've argued my point well, I think, and it doesn't not matter just because you say it doesn't.

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

What about my argument is meaningless? I've argued my point well, I think, and it doesn't not matter just because you say it doesn't.

People have pointed out that Bobs reason for hating American Pie is both childish and unprofessional. Sincerity should not, and does not enter that argument, as sincerity has nothing to do with the truth of the criticism made against the reviewer.

Mentioning sincerity just seems an attempt to muster in a strawman in order to illogically devalue the criticisms made.
Please explain why anyone should give a damn about sincerity when evaluating a criticism, as sincerity has nothing to do with whether a statement is true or not.

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

People have pointed out that Bobs reason for hating American Pie is both childish and unprofessional. Sincerity should not, and does not enter that argument, as sincerity has nothing to do with the truth of the criticism made against the reviewer.

Mentioning sincerity just seems an attempt to muster in a strawman in order to illogically devalue the criticisms made.
Please explain why anyone should give a damn about sincerity when evaluating a criticism, as sincerity has nothing to do with whether a statement is true or not.

No one should give a damn about anything. I do, and so I brought it up.

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

So in short you can't defend your point and have now started to blurt out childish retorts. Okay then. If that's how you wish to be perceived, then so be it.

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

So in short you can't defend your point and have now started to blurt out childish retorts. Okay then. If that's how you wish to be perceived, then so be it.

Which part of my "retorts" is childish?

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

"No one should give a damn about anything."

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Ah, I see. Miscommunication, then. I didn't mean to imply that no one ought to care about anything in some sort of faux-nihilistic attempt at angst. I merely meant that there is nothing which inherently deserves people's attention, and so whatever someone chooses to care about, they are justified in doing so.

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

Ah, I see. Miscommunication, then. I didn't mean to imply that no one ought to care about anything in some sort of faux-nihilistic attempt at angst. I merely meant that there is nothing which inherently deserves people's attention, and so whatever someone chooses to care about, they are justified in doing so.

The price of food.
The price of water.
Healthcare.
Taxes.
Oil prices.
Gas prices.
War.
Disease.
Etc.

And as for the latter part of your statement, if I was to care about the aliens that have taken over the White House, I hope you would declare me insane.

Raid sounds it would be a very great movie to watch.

Pretty much agree with a lot of people on the forum though that MovieBob shouldn't have wasted 1/4th of the review bashing American Pie and going on again about how much highschool sucks. When it comes to the subject of highschool, I only somewhat disagree with Bob. Highschool is very "Your milage may vary." People have some good memories of it, some bad memories. Sometimes one is stronger than the others, and obviously Bob had a bad time in highschool. Me, I considered my highschool experience a "meh." Didn't really had any close knit friends to hang out with, and I had my fair share of being bullied, but I had good memories too of that time period. Unlike Bob, I'll probably go to my reunion, just to see one or two faces I do consider good friends. But if I don't, I don't consider it to be a big loss for me.

What I do agree with is that Bob once said in a "American Bob" video is that highschool, once you compare it to the other stuff in your life after it, is very much insignificant. If someone does indeed have a bad experience in it, they should remember that this is only a rough patch in life that you'll just have to bare for moment, cause it does get better once it's over and move on toward whatever future you're wanting to make for yourself.

So in closing, I pretty much say to MovieBob to try and not dwell too much about highschool. If you were bullied during that time period, I can sympathize, but it's just not healthy to be upset at it forever. Only other critcism I can say is that while bullying happened in the 90's Bob, it didn't just start in that decade. It's been with us since forever. Including the 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, and your favorite decades the 80's and the 00's. If the 90's sucked just because bullying occured in that decade, all the decades sucked because bullying happened in them too. May of not of happened to you, but they happend to somebody.

Overall, taking out the complaining about American Pie at the beginning, the his video review of the Raid was ok.

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

The price of food.
The price of water.
Healthcare.
Taxes.
Oil prices.
Gas prices.
War.
Disease.
Etc.

And as for the latter part of your statement, if I was to care about the aliens that have taken over the White House, I hope you would declare me insane.

Likely. However, no one would disallow to think such a thing, or to talk about it.

Regardless, none of the things you mentioned are inherently worth caring about. The value systems of human beings gravitate towards self-protection (allegedly), so naturally, those are things we say are worth caring about. That doesn't make them so. What about to a person who had no sense of self-preservation? They might mean little to such a person.

Kaulen Fuhs:

Dude, I've never in my life seen an American Pie movie, and I made like five posts in this thread holding my position against Bob's tirade in this video.

People's feathers were ruffled because this is the thousandth time Bob's put a hold on everything just so he can remind everyone how much he hated his high school years.

If you actually read peoples' posts, most don't even mention American Reunion, mine included, as the grievance lies with the facts that 1) he put the video on hold and 2) started complaining about high school again. If that's honestly not enough, go ahead and believe everyone's just conspiring against Bob only because of some deep concealed love for a mediocre 90s comedy.

TheDrunkNinja:

Kaulen Fuhs:

Dude, I've never in my life seen an American Pie movie, and I made like five posts in this thread holding my position against Bob's tirade in this video.

People's feathers were ruffled because this is the thousandth time Bob's put a hold on everything just so he can remind everyone how much he hated his high school years.

If you actually read peoples' posts, most don't even mention American Reunion, mine included, as the grievance lies with the facts that 1) he put the video on hold and 2) started complaining about high school again. If that's honestly not enough, go ahead and believe everyone's just conspiring against Bob only because of some deep concealed love for a mediocre 90s comedy.

It's the package. Bob isn't going to stop doing it, so there's no real point in complaining about it. And it isn't American Pie per se, though my wording thus far would definitely give that impression; my belief is that it is Bob's general disrespect for the things people value (or, in short, his opinion being different from yours) that causes people to get in a huff every time he releases a video. The reason I think this is that I don't really see people saying, "You know, Bob, you're completely right, but I came here to see a video reviewing The Raid". Most just accuse him of whining.

But the thing that really bothers me is people talking about how it violates some "professional credibility" for him to act this way. Put simply, if The Escapist doesn't really care, then he is not in breach of professionalism, as they are actively paying him to do this. Full stop.

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

The price of food.
The price of water.
Healthcare.
Taxes.
Oil prices.
Gas prices.
War.
Disease.
Etc.

Likely. However, no one would disallow to think such a thing, or to talk about it.

Regardless, none of the things you mentioned are inherently worth caring about. The value systems of human beings gravitate towards self-protection (allegedly), so naturally, those are things we say are worth caring about. That doesn't make them so. What about to a person who had no sense of self-preservation? They might mean little to such a person.

But there is no point in thinking such a thing, or mentioning it, and it certainly isn't a valid reply to criticism as you claim your notion of sincerity is. It's not. It was a complete waste of time to mention and doesn't dismiss any of the criticisms made.

Every sane creature has an urge of self preservation. To claim that the notion of self preservation is not inherently worthwhile is just bullshit as evolution would see off any creature that does not have self preservation. Any creature that does not have a notion of self preservation is an anomaly who will quickly be seen off, therefore using such a person as an example is an absurd notion. Come back to reality & stop digressing. This is about the childish attempt at insulting people who like AP because someone got a hard time at school. It's time for this critic to deal with his past and become a better critic for it. End of.

The Cool Kid:

Kaulen Fuhs:

The Cool Kid:

The price of food.
The price of water.
Healthcare.
Taxes.
Oil prices.
Gas prices.
War.
Disease.
Etc.

But there is no point in thinking such a thing, or mentioning it, and it certainly isn't a valid reply to criticism as you claim your notion of sincerity is. It's not. It was a complete waste of time to mention and doesn't dismiss any of the criticisms made.

Every sane creature has an urge of self preservation. To claim that the notion of self preservation is not inherently worthwhile is just bullshit as evolution would see off any creature that does not have self preservation. Any creature that does not have a notion of self preservation is an anomaly who will quickly be seen off, therefore using such a person as an example is an absurd notion. Come back to reality & stop digressing. This is about the childish attempt at insulting people who like AP because someone got a hard time at school. It's time for this critic to deal with his past and become a better critic for it. End of.

Oh. My. God.

Prove to me that being alive is inherently, by the nature of the universe, better than being dead. If you can't, I'll assume you just accept that without actually thinking about it, just like everyone else.

Value is 100% subjective. Until you can prove otherwise, burden of proof is on you.

EDIT: Never mind. You win. I've no interest in carrying on this conversation.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here