Escape to the Movies: Fall Preview

Pages PREV 1 2 3

You forgot Atlas Shrugged Part 2 which comes out 10-12-12. it looks like it is going to be really good and might have a significant impact on the upcoming election.

The Gentleman:

Wreck it Ralph: I'm not as big of a Pixar fan as Bob is, so I'll just say to lower your expectations to Cars level.

It's not Pixar, it's just Walt Disney Studios.

Anyway, excited to see The Hobbit, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a great actor so count me tentatively interested in Looper.

Oh, Bob. Now you made me dissapointed. How could you not even mention Les Miserables? But I guess I shouldn't be suprised since Bob always seems to be so preoccupied with "geek culture".

You can see a movie where Santa kung-fu fights Nosferatu, which is kiiinda close to him being an avengers character?

Bob, I'm really interested to see your opinion or interest in the movie Prototype.

Interesting list, I'll have to keep a few of these in mind:

Will Probably See:
Cloud Atlas
Wreck-it Ralph
Rise of Guardians
Django Unchaiined
The Hobbit

Might See:
The Master
Looper
Frankenweenie
Argo
The Man With the Golden Fists
Lincoln
Zero Dark 30 (?)
The Life of Pi

Will Pass on:
...Everything else mentioned.

Also, RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

The only movie that gets me super excited is Wreck-It Ralph. Since when have we seen all the video game characters we came to know and love in a movie?? Like, not a video game like Capcom vs Marvel but an actual movie such as this?

My only fear is they'll make it to kid friendly, like... nothing will make us adults or those who grew up with video games like it. But, you know.. I still have my hopes up. If they pull out a lot of references and do segments that actually belong to a game we know like say Mushroom Kingdom or Link's Water Temple- that would be the best. Or just add humor that flies over kid's heads lol.

I am expecting Wreck-it Ralph to be a disappointment. It's my knee jerk reaction after so many bad and mediocre video game related movies. I am sure that the Hobbit will look real pretty and sound real good, but I think I'll just read the book again. As for the guardians movie, why is Santa Russian and the Easter Bunny Australian. >_> There is nothing on that list that interests me. Not because I thinks it is all bad. I am just bitter and jaded and just can't get into movies anymore. T_T

I would also like to see Bob do a retro-review

Looking forward to his Dredd review.

Anyway

Looper: Could be good. Always like Bruce Willis and from what I've seen the premise is interesting.

Taken 2: Liam Neeson killing people some more? Yes please.

Frankenweeie: No thank you.

Butter: Haven't heard of it before and I doubt it will get a release here.

Argo: Should be really really interesting.

Cloud Atlas: I've got nothing on this one.

Silent Hill II: Still have to see one and I;m not someone who sees sequels without the original.

Wreck it Ralph: Could be good but truth be told I'm not expecting anything great.

The Man with the Iron Fist: Got nothing on this either.

Skyfall: If I want to see it or not doesn't factor in. I will be brought to it.

Lincoln: .......pure oscar-bait but it could be good.

Twilight Breaking Dawn II: And on that day mankind will be happy. Till 50 Shades of Grey gets adapted.

Rise of the Guardians: Could be well worth my time an money.

The Life of Pi: Not particularly interested.

Zero Dark Thirty: I have nothing on this either.

Django Unchained: Never have I had such conflicting emotions on a movie.

Hobbit I: Egh.... I'm pretty iffy here. I liked Lord of The Rings and thought the Hobbit would make a good Two movie story but the trilogy division smells too much like a cash grab for me.

DragonSama:
You forgot Atlas Shrugged Part 2 which comes out 10-12-12. it looks like it is going to be really good and might have a significant impact on the upcoming election.

Just saw Branded. I have to admit I was expecting the same simpleminded 'Marxist' or at least pseudo anti-capitalist line of The Stuff or They Live. And there was certainly a lot of that.

Other thing about it? Branded's central message seems to be the following: fat people are ugly people. The only real way to be happy is to be thin, and plastic surgery is a great way to do it!

In case you're wondering, I personally think that is an awful message for any movie. But it's especially strange for a movie to be so critical of the advertising part of American-style capitalism while fully embracing the naturalization of a stereotype about beauty that includes plastic surgery. It's different from Thank You for Smoking, but there's still something similarly two-faced about Branded.

Bottom line: don't see it unless you're writing a paper about body image and the media. If you are, then go nuts.

Can't wait for Liam Neeson to kill some albanians.

YYYYEEEESSSSS!!!!!!

ANOTHER SILENT HILL MOVIE!!!!

All is right in the world, I allow it to continue.

Also, Taken 2 makes me happy.

tarnim80:
Oh, Bob. Now you made me dissapointed. How could you not even mention Les Miserables? But I guess I shouldn't be suprised since Bob always seems to be so preoccupied with "geek culture".

Does it look better than the Liam Nesson version? Cuz that movie was the bomb yo. Never liked the musical, the few versions I've seen anyways. It's my mothers favorite tho, so I was glad I could see a good movie version of it.

EDIT:

Couldn't they find better male actors?!?!?!

Might be good regardless.

There seems to be a lot of anticipation for the Hobbit here which has me a little surprised. Movies I have been to, as well as other boards I visit, the enthusiasm for that film seems really low.

I don't know, I am just not seeing this doing as well as people here hope. A lot of the Tolkien faithful seem turned off by all the additions, change of tone, and elongation into 3 films. The fair weather fantasy fans seem kind of done with the whole concept. And a lot of people just seem burned out on the years long epic movie story thing.

Has there been a Lincoln trailer? I feel like I haven't seen one yet.

EDIT: List invalid with no Les Mis. I hope it wins all the awards so people stfu about musicals sucking.

This will be one glorious end of the year won't it??

Holy shit! They're making a movie out of Cloud Atlas. That book was awesome in so many ways.

Please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck please don't suck please don't su...

how the heck did "rise of the gurdians" slip under my radar?
its the tooth fairy, the easter bunny and santa teaming up! how could i miss that?!

I was in the shower this morning and I thought to myself 'Dam Bob is sexy'-AH I MEAN, 'What is Bob gonna reveiw today?' what with nothing being out at the mo. Still, its looking good, except for Mr.Duncan being dead of course... and now Terry Nutkins, WHATS HAPPENING!!!
Anyway, that 'The last guardians' looks pretty banging and what you said about James Bond reminded me why I love-BAH think your awesome Bob... even if what you said about Silent Hill almost killed the buzz...
So it begins... *BUR-BUBUBUR-BUBUR-BUBUBUUUUR*

Wait the RZA makes movies now? How the fuck did I not know that I've kind of proclaimed him as my new god.

MovieBob... I love you like a brother, man... But complaining multiple times that "there is nothing coming out for you to review" while letting Moonrise Kingdom whiz in and back out of theatres was DEEPLY UNCOOL.

When i saw the trailer for Looper when i went to see The Expendables 2 my only thought was: This has to be some kind of joke! :p

Looks like a movie written by a board of directors where one guy jokengly said: "hey, what if we...", they laughed for a while and then decided that they didnt have any better ideas and made a movie. The premise is just ridiculous and seems to be one of the usual "sci-fi" movies in the vein of Total Recall, Surrogates and Minority Report. Just a bit sillier.

Not agreeing on Silent Hill, while it had decent visual effects, the script and acting was rubbish imo. Personally i think the only good video game movie is Mortal Kombat, it captured the spirit of the games and it is pretty watchable. Incidentally it is also the best work of Thomas W. Anderson! :p

Pat Hulse:
You forgot to mention Les MisÚrables, the film adaptation of the stage musical.

I noticed this too, and it surprised me. Especially considering this is the first time the musical has been adapted to film so completely; short of things like filmed concert editions and such, this is the first time a film has adapted the musical instead of taking its story straight from the book. That's kind of a big deal, and to be entirely honest, you can expect me to be one of those guys sitting in line for this midnight showing while everyone else is waiting for The Hobbit.

Sober Thal:

tarnim80:

Does it look better than the Liam Nesson version? Cuz that movie was the bomb yo. Never liked the musical, the few versions I've seen anyways. It's my mothers favorite tho, so I was glad I could see a good movie version of it.

EDIT:

Better male actors? Hugh Jackman as Valjean is a freakin' dream, especially for the musical. I'm insanely happy with the casting.

Thing about the Liam Neeson movie is that, while the first half was pretty much perfect, the second half raped the story so badly the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. So outside of the fact that I think Les Miserables is one of the greatest stories ever written, and even outside of my deep love for the musical, I think this is shaping up to be a damn good film.

Thaius:

Sober Thal:

tarnim80:

EDIT:

Better male actors? Hugh Jackman as Valjean is a freakin' dream, especially for the musical. I'm insanely happy with the casting.

Thing about the Liam Neeson movie is that, while the first half was pretty much perfect, the second half raped the story so badly the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth. So outside of the fact that I think Les Miserables is one of the greatest stories ever written, and even outside of my deep love for the musical, I think this is shaping up to be a damn good film.

Hugh doesn't have much grit in my eyes. Again, I only was able to watch the Liam movie, and Hugh doesn't fit in my minds eye for the first bit. Hugh is just too Broadway (or wolverine) me thinks.

Then 'Gladiator' being the snarky investigator?

I don't know, I hope I'm wrong. It's definitely a movie I'll keep an eye on tho.

Kinda disappointed that the hobbit is going to be a trilogy. It's one of my favorite books because it's pretty basic (maybe that's also because it was kinda entitled to kids): A hobbit gets dragged into an adventure, and he comes back with many riches, literally. The end. You can make a decent movie out of that in just 90 minutes. The movie business just smells hard cash again if you ask me...

Am I the only one who cares that that star studded movie version of Les Mis, aka the most beautiful musical of all time is coming out this December as well? No? Just me? Fine.

Harry Mason:
MovieBob... I love you like a brother, man... But complaining multiple times that "there is nothing coming out for you to review" while letting Moonrise Kingdom whiz in and back out of theatres was DEEPLY UNCOOL.

Uh he did review it. Like a while ago. Here you go bro

So glad M. Night Shyamalan didn't get to direct the Life of Pie like he wanted to. He's destroyed enough properties that I liked.

I hate Q4 of every year... That's when we're hit with with wave after wave of amazing movies and games...

The only one I disagree on is Man with the Iron Fists... but then again I'm always a little apprehensive about a movie written by, directed by, and starring the same person. Just seems like bad fanfic, in which the writer/director/leading-man will, of course, be the strongest, smartest, fastest, most dedicated and amazing character this fantasy world has ever seen.

I'm always down for some old school Kung Fu butt whooping, but ... well, apprehensive like I originally said.

Safaia:

Harry Mason:

Uh he did review it. Like a while ago. Here you go bro

Oh... Thanks! Is usually don't miss Intermissions, but I guess this one slipped under my radar.

I'd love to whine and complain about how it got a wide enough release and Wes Anderson is well known enough that considering Moonrise kingdom to have "flown under the radar" is completely absurd, and how as a piece of film making it deserved a full episode...

But hey. That's just my fanboyism poking out. I'm just glad it got mentioned and maybe some people went out and watched it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here