Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Review

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Any word on how well the iPad version works?

I picked this up myself desiring some nice Old School RPG Action and I must agree... 2nd Edition Rules are the worst thing about the game. At times you cannot strategize, cannot plan, cannot even manage resources and thus the entire outcome of a battle depends on a few randomly generated numbers, this never stops being frustrating. But at least the setting and general gameplay are still awesome.

cynicalsaint1:
Any word on how well the iPad version works?

Yeah, it doesn't. Not out yet. Just PC.

It seems like the biggest complaint I've been hearing about this game is that they changed the enemy spawning algorithms so less than half of the enemies that normally spawn in BG spawn in BGEE. No mention of that in the review? As far as I know Beamdog hasn't actually commented on it as of last night.

Is it only BG1 or is it BG1 and 2 mashed together?

blackrave:

It's just Baldurs Gate 1, apparently they ARE working on a BG2 Enhanced Edition though.

No thanks.

I hated 2nd edition when I played it on a table.
I hated it when I played it on my computer.

I LOVED Baulder's Gate as a setting and its characters.
I hated its mechanics.

Especially when my entire party got wiped by bandits suddenly popping up and shooting me to death.
No chance just my level 1 party dying in a few rounds.

Quoting a facebook comment here. but Welcome Back BG.

looking forward to playing this again

There is only one thing I can say, Butt kicking for goodness!

I approve of the Amaunator reference in the article. Though to be fair, "Dead as Amaunator" isn't quite dead, as BG2 showed us...

andy i hate you. really really hate you. how dare you force me to spend money like this !

blackrave:

I think they added a lot of subclasses to the regular ones. You can, for example, be a regular fighter, or you can choose a more specialized fighter like a berserker (who gets angry a lot) or a kensai (who doesn't wear any armour, but has a very good chance to hit stuff). From what I've gathered, they were originally introduced in BG2, so that's new!

I pulled Baldur's Gate from GoG.com earlier this year and gave it a good old replay. It's an awesome game, but brutal and something that takes time to learn. BG1 in my opinion is a harder game than BG2 is, largely because you start out at level 1, and so you can end up dying crazy-fast to even the most basic of enemies at the start. It gets easier as you level up, but not too easy. But hopefully a player would be able to play through BG1 and succeed at it, prepared to head right into BG2 with everything they have learned and an appetite to get into one of the best games of all time: Shadows of Amn.

Not sure if i'll get this since I technically already have BG1/BG2 (and in fact I still have my CD's for BG2 and its expansion), but this review tells me what I need to know: It's yums and I ought to haggle people to play this. XD

"It's Baldur's Gate." Any review that begins with those three words is starting from a position of serious strength.

not since painkillers hd remake turned out to be a turd compared to the ancient black edition.

no one is safe.

albino boo:
There is only one thing I can say, Butt kicking for goodness!

Always remember to go for the eyes.

OT: Pretty much sums up my feeling for the original game as well. Great writing, great world, great characters. And all of it hamstrung because the D&D rules don't translate well to video games. I've always said the game would have been 10x better if they had developed new mechanics based on the D&D rules rather then transfer them wholesale (the Manual for BG2 actually doesn't have it's own appendix, you can tell it just transferred the actual D&D rules because there is a table in there about climbing checks -which the game does not include).

When I heard about the EE, I had hoped they were remaking the game with new systems. Sadly no.

What was the omitted line of dialogue, out of curiosity?

Also, there's a mod going on to port BG2 to Icewind Dale II's engine, which uses 3.0 rules.

I never could beat this game. Perhaps now is the time for me to give it another go.

Baldurs gate was really really hard-- theres a bandit camp a couple hours in that completely annhilated me way back in the day. I quaffed everything in my inventory and came up with a strategy to down their megabuffed magic wielding armoured tank, but if I recall correctly that was the end of my BG experience. The higher level BG2 was much more enjoyable from a gameplay perspective, but, i like nostalgia, and intend to buy the ipad version.

Reminds me of college.

my Question is why is Andy doing this review? is Skyler being punished for maybe saying that 'a PC gamer has a MasterRace card' on the podcast?

OT: yes this does sound a lot like the original BG. now the question is do I really want the ulcer from the aggravation of playing it, and dying often.

God I wish this was released on its original release date in September. I had plenty of time then, now I am so freakishly busy that I simply cant find the time to play it at all. I want to play Baldurs Gate noooooooow!! =(((

I did manage to squeeze in a few hours at launch though, man its good!

gardian06:
my Question is why is Andy doing this review? is Skyler being punished for maybe saying that 'a PC gamer has a MasterRace card' on the podcast?

OT: yes this does sound a lot like the original BG. now the question is do I really want the ulcer from the aggravation of playing it, and dying often.

Andy is a heavy PC gamer if I recall.

OT: Damn, not on steam or GoG. And hey, better than Dragon Age! :P

Pontifex:

I think they meant the famous Nietzsche-quote "when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you" that they used to open the game with. I was expecting it to pop-up when pushing new game and was surprised at its exclusion.

Gameplay has not been left "virtually untouched". Enemy spawns have been significantly reduced, making for easier wilderness encounters and, because of the worse EXP gains, harder bosses. The game also has seriously bugged-out scripting (audio cues looping endlessly, characters refusing to talk ever, and the multiplayer is busted for any group of three or more. As far as the fit of the new content goes, one of the new companions is a monk who is pretty much the worst character around due to his poor stats the low-level nature of the campaign (monks are terrible until about level nine, and only become good around thirteen or so, which is Baldur's Gate 2 territory).

It's no so much that BGEE is bad, and they are putting patches out at a rapid pace it's that it's $20, and you can buy both Baldur's Gate and its sequel for that price on GOG, and with a bit of pretty painless modding, get an experience that is equal at worst and superior at best.

Kekkonen1:

Pontifex:

I think they meant the famous Nietzsche-quote "when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you" that they used to open the game with. I was expecting it to pop-up when pushing new game and was surprised at its exclusion.

There's also the "There are others!" line from the opening cinematic that the doomed knight says before getting thrown off the balcony. I hardly cared that it was omitted.

Regarding the review itself, as much as I'm enjoying BGEE, I have to say they really dropped the ball in making the game more accessible to a modern audience. I mean, it looks better than the original, but with the length of development and delays in the release, I was expecting something that doesn't feel fourteen years old. By far the main selling point to me is the supposedly improved multiplayer support, but I'm hearing even that is spotty.

Pontifex:

Also, there's a mod going on to port BG2 to Icewind Dale II's engine, which uses 3.0 rules.

It's the line about being able to lead Sarevok to the others.

antidonkey:
I never could beat this game. Perhaps now is the time for me to give it another go.

That's okay, I played it for half an hour before it compelled me to pitch it out the window. Minority opinion I know, but I really did not like it.

Yojoo:

Kekkonen1:

Pontifex:

There's also the "There are others!" line from the opening cinematic that the doomed knight says before getting thrown off the balcony. I hardly cared that it was omitted.

Regarding the review itself, as much as I'm enjoying BGEE, I have to say they really dropped the ball in making the game more accessible to a modern audience. I mean, it looks better than the original, but with the length of development and delays in the release, I was expecting something that doesn't feel fourteen years old. By far the main selling point to me is the supposedly improved multiplayer support, but I'm hearing even that is spotty.

Yeah thats true, had completely forgotten that line =)

You think they dropped the ball? Just curious, not trying to be confrontational, but what would you have liked them to do? I myself was just happy to get Baldurs Gate in all its glory with some tweaks for playability and HD-resolution without having to mess with mods and stuff. Otherwise I'm quite happy with the way the game is, I'm having MUCH more fun with this (in the little time I have to play) than I ever had with "accessible" games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and I can't wait for BG2:EE.

Formica Archonis:

antidonkey:

That's okay, I played it for half an hour before it compelled me to pitch it out the window. Minority opinion I know, but I really did not like it.

I'm not sure it will be a minority opinion though, maybe on these kinds of forums, but the game is HARD and somewhat clunky. I was kind of shocked at first, being used to the easier games of the last 10 years, but since I grew up with these kinds of games I just had to reset my expectations and start playing in a different, more careful and strategic way. It's really NOT a just-select-whole-party-and-click-enemy kind of game. But hey, to each his own, atleast you gave it a try =)

BG:EE is a disgrace. It's more buggy and unbalanced than the original unpatched release.
If you really can't stand archaic BG1 engine:

1. Buy BG1 & BG2 on GoG (20$)
2. Spend 20 minutes installing mods. Modding tips are also on GoG.
2. Get a far superior version of the game.
No crashes, better compatibility, no useless monks with magical boots worth gamebreaking 17k gold. Oh, and it has ending cinematic (duh!).

Slycne:

Ding. I was really surprised that they cut this line, as I always thought it was a very important piece of foreshadowing. Things were admittedly a lot different the first time I heard it, but even so, I don't get the rationale for cutting it.

Andy Chalk:

Slycne:

Ding. I was really surprised that they cut this line, as I always thought it was a very important piece of foreshadowing. Things were admittedly a lot different the first time I heard it, but even so, I don't get the rationale for cutting it.

Well it's not like the game doesn't wallop you over the head with it every where else, like that group in Candlekeep. I guess they wanted to try and make it more subtle.

My computer is having trouble playing the cinematics, they just seem to stop and start every few seconds. Anyone have any tips on fixing it? (PC gaming newb here)

Minsc and Boo

stand ready once more.

Kekkonen1:

You think they dropped the ball? Just curious, not trying to be confrontational, but what would you have liked them to do? I myself was just happy to get Baldurs Gate in all its glory with some tweaks for playability and HD-resolution without having to mess with mods and stuff. Otherwise I'm quite happy with the way the game is, I'm having MUCH more fun with this (in the little time I have to play) than I ever had with "accessible" games such as Dragon Age and Mass Effect, and I can't wait for BG2:EE.

Can't speak for the other dude, but a more intuitive, hotkey-friendly interface would have been cool. And multiplayer that doesn't shit itself with groups of three or more.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here