Jimquisition: Dead Space - The Best New IP This Generation?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Dead Space, a horror game? Hahahaha, next thing you tell me that the residentevil movies are pure horror, eh Jim?

Yeah i'm going to have to disagree here. Yes, Dead Space managed to make the transitions between story and gameplay smoother, but that only does so much. The story itself was pretty uninteresting, and the jump scares just ruined the atmosphere for me. I liked how the shooting controlled, but it got pretty boring after a while. I rented 1 and 2 but i never really got around to finishing them, which is weird. I usually finish my games.

Cry Wolf:

Ilikemilkshake:

Cry Wolf:

I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say this; you just sold a copy of at least the first Dead Space to me (and likely the second if it's a reasonable price). That is pretty impressive, I don't think I've ever bought a game because somebody on the internet has told me it was good (and more to the point, why it was good). I've certainly looked into games on recommendation - but I'm going all the way and buying it.

If you're buying it on PC be warned, it's possibly one of the worst ports i've ever encountered.
Assuming it doesn't crash on me, the FPS is terrible, it has awful mouse acceleration, it has bad screen tear and if you turn on the V-sync it basically breaks the game.

OT: This video makes me sad. I really would love to play DS but the problems I mentioned above basically mean I can't.

Well, thats a fucking downer. My place recently got a PS3, so I suppose I could grab it for that - but I've been hesitant to buy games for a shared console. Still, if it's half as good as it was made out to be I wont regret it. I wish PC ports weren't typically half-arsed. =/

Wow, that is the most exaggerated crap I have ever heard, the port isn't anywhere as bad as that guys says it is the game is perfectly playable as long as you don't turn on vsync. The screen tearing problem is as easy a solution as it always is, force vsync through the video card, case close, problem solved game works fine. Seriously this guy is trolling, the game is perfectly playable on PC and I have played through the game at least 5 times with no problems.

Jim, I accept what your saying. Narrative wise, it's brilliant.

It's all the other stuff that fails.

Playing the games, I was utterly uninterested in the story and characters. Isaac is more lifeless than the xenomorphs.

Similarly, the environments leave a lot to be desired with their endless procession of poorly lit hallways.

And finally, it isn't scary. At all. In any way. Even the jumpscares stop being startling after the first hour.
I never felt this panic you talk about because I'm loaded for fucking war.

Decent enough games. Not the best new IP by a long shot.

Oh man this thread is going to be troll central for not just Dead Space haters but EA haters as well, Jim opened a can of worms with this one. I personally list Dead Space in the top 3 best IPs this generation and agree with Jim wholeheartedly, the idea of putting the entire interface on the rig of Isaac's suit still blows me away because it helps so much with the immersion that this game has. Overall I still consider Mass Effect to be my favorite IP of the this generation.

Looks like it's true; every man has his price.

That was a great commercial, when's the next Jimquisition though?

Dead Space, to me, is an almost brilliant series, and one where the developers don't quite ever manage to focus on the best elements.

The first game is clearly a giant sloppy drooling fan remake of System Shock 2, and that's no bad thing. However, there are a number of design decision problems that stop it from being quite there. First off, the weapons. Sure, there's a wide variety of them and they're reasonably meaty and satisfying to use, and the fact that Isaac is slow and severing limbs is the new headshot makes the game tense and shapes the combat and makes it about managing threat, chopping legs to slow down horrible space wotsits and running around to avoid being hurt. But not only do you not need the weapons ever because the Plasma Cutter does everything, it's actually bad to carry more than the Plasma Cutter, because the game (almost) only gives you ammo for weapons you're actually carrying. Only carry the Plasma Cutter, only get plasma ammo, oh wait the resource management element of survival horror has just disappeared out the window. Also you can focus your power nodes on only upgrading the Plasma Cutter, so it's more useful, versatile, and efficient.

Likewise, the story, there's very little focus on Isaac's story throughout the game, even though the basis of it (he knows from the start that something bad is happening on the Ishimura, and he knows Nicole is dead but is in denial (yeah, spoilers, the game's a million years old get with the times). There's a fair bit of story potential in there, but it's not strongly realised and the game is mostly too busy with space scientologists to exploit the part that could have been good.

Dead Space could have been the new Silent Hill 2, but it wasn't.

Dead Space 2 upped the combat ante a little with some fun new enemies (though twitchers are gone and only in the DLC), but since Isaac is sprightlier now it feels mostly a little easier (and now you can justify two weapons, the Plasma Cutter and the Patrol Rifle, but you don't need any others... Also, the game became a corridor, to the great detriment of the suspense, DS1 had the old System Shock structure where you were relatively free to wander the current level and there were two or three things you could approach in any order. That's good for a survival game, it means that the player feels like they are choosing the risks to take themselves, even if they actually have to go everywhere anyway, if you go to objective A and something horrible is there, it feels like it was your fault for going there. It also makes the setting feel more like an actual place which you become gradually familiar with.

So, yeah, the first one had a lot more promise than the second delivered on, even though the second is still a good game, and it's not the best new IP of this generation because it's not called Bayonetta.

Well put, Jim. I never really got into Dead Space based on what Yahtzee said about it. It's passable and servicable, but nothing genre-changing or truly mind blowing. The things you said about Clarke being characterized must have been from the 2nd game, because he didn't talk or remove his helmet in the first.
In my opinion, the best IP of this generation is Assassin's Creed.

I don't know about the best new IP, but I do love Dead Space. It is a pretty solid action-horror series, the RIG is awesome, the combat is scary but satisfying, the world is interesting, and the designs of the Necromorphs and the technology is really cool. I'm still conflicted about getting 3 though. One one hand, I love the franchise, the developers are pretty good, and I like the weapon-building system, but on the other hand, I don't want to give any money to EA...

Oh no Jim is praising a game series by EA that can only mean he is a sell out and couldn't possibly be his actual opinion.

Yosharian:

TheRussian:

Yosharian:

Best new IP this gen is Portal

Yep. You are correct, good sir/lady. Portal 1 was a brilliant, but short game, and 2 was improved in every possible way, from the length to the story to the level design. There's nothing to criticize, which is unusual for a Valve game.

Yeah apart from Wheatley being a bit irritating...

Some aspects of Portal 2 are just amazing. It's the subtle things that get me. For example, the way the music that the environment 'gives off' so to speak works as ambient AND soundtrack.

Bunch of Ninjas around here. Yeah I do feel the same way. It is better just by the fact that it stands out the most by gameplay, story and characters. There is just nothing like it out there.

Are there any other AAA puzzle titles out there?

MaxwellMouse:
I don't agreed with that sentiment but you have a good argument and I enjoyed hearing your passion for the series. I would say that the Souls series is the best new IP this gen. I am not counting games without a sequel.

I'll second this notion, it may not be the prettiest out there but the Souls series is far and above the best I've played this generation.

MegaSuperUberMe:
Dead Space, a horror game? Hahahaha, next thing you tell me that the residentevil movies are pure horror, eh Jim?

Interesting how you added "pure" horror to the RE movies, but not Dead Space. That basically set me up to talk about how nobody say "pure" anything with regards to the former.

When you telegraph your own argumentative flaw, it becomes too easy for me.

I do wish that he would have actually taken some time to address the many, Many criticisms that have been made of the Dead Space series instead of just gushing for 6 minutes with a bunch of praise that is utterly meaningless in a vacuum.

Stuff like, how the empowering nature of the weapons run completely contrary to the horror atmosphere.

I know he's already tried to defend jump-scares, but I could use a bit more coaxing in that department too, because I can't say that I found his defense all that compelling.

I'm not a big fan of the Dead Space series, to me it's a series that does SO much right, but then makes a few choices that throws all of it in a bin and renders it meaningless.

MegaSuperUberMe:

Breaking News! Dead Space IS a horror game! In fact, it's a GREAT horror game!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOoTXwdaPY

But, beyond that, I think there's something I need to clarify.

I can successfully separate the cold, calculated business side of Dead Space from the imaginative, passionate developer side, and I ADORE Dead Space for being very forward thinking, expertly crafted, and a textbook example of stellar audio, lighting, and atmosphere.

While some bemoan the "jump scares" (either as "too scary" or "predictable), I struggle to see how that in any way, shape, or form detracts from the core game. Resident Evil has them. Silent Hill has them. Nearly every great horror movie ever made has them. But when you strip away the jump scares, is there still a great game there? Considering how much I loved the combat, loved the zero-G portions, loved the puzzles, loved the lore and stories, loved the setting, loved the monster designs, loved the audio and voice acting, loved the epic boss battles, loved the psychological player manipulations, loved the weapons, loved the HUD-less and immersive presentation, loved the RIG suits, loved the characters, and loved the games overall, I say "absolutely".

Every game has its faults. Every game does. Many on the business side. But Batman: Arkham City can be a great game despite cutting the Catwoman content out as DLC. Elder Scrolls will never live down its "horse armor", yet it's still a great game. Mortal Kombat has that bloody online pass and retailer-exclusive DLC, but it's my favorite fighting game this generation. Metroid Prime Trilogy has a multiplayer mode I'll never touch, yet the game collection is without peer. Dragon Age: Origins literally had a salesman yelling about DLC quests you could buy with real money, yet DA:O remains one of the best RPGs this generation.

Dead Space isn't immune to some bad decisions, but overwhelmingly exceeds where it matters. It has overcome its problems to remain excellent, and no amount of cheat DLC in DS1, multiplayer in DS2, microtransactions in DS iOS, or co-op in DS: Extraction has deterred me. The games remain great. I have no idea why people can't accept that you can love and adore a game yet still hate single aspects of it without determining that the entire game is garbage. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

Cry Wolf:

Ilikemilkshake:

Cry Wolf:

I'm not exaggerating in the slightest when I say this; you just sold a copy of at least the first Dead Space to me (and likely the second if it's a reasonable price). That is pretty impressive, I don't think I've ever bought a game because somebody on the internet has told me it was good (and more to the point, why it was good). I've certainly looked into games on recommendation - but I'm going all the way and buying it.

If you're buying it on PC be warned, it's possibly one of the worst ports i've ever encountered.
Assuming it doesn't crash on me, the FPS is terrible, it has awful mouse acceleration, it has bad screen tear and if you turn on the V-sync it basically breaks the game.

OT: This video makes me sad. I really would love to play DS but the problems I mentioned above basically mean I can't.

Well, thats a fucking downer. My place recently got a PS3, so I suppose I could grab it for that - but I've been hesitant to buy games for a shared console. Still, if it's half as good as it was made out to be I wont regret it. I wish PC ports weren't typically half-arsed. =/

This is one reason I cannot have the least bit of respect for Visceral

They have out-right STATED that they don't give a shit about the PC ports and that they ACTIVELY neuter them because they don't want any one platform (The PC) to have a "superior experience"

It's a load of fucking crap

Casual Shinji:
I suppose this is in the end just personal taste video, because every point in which Dead Space apparenly succeeds I've seen done just as good or better in dozens of other games.

I say this with no sarcasm or malice: what are some of those games? I ask because I love Dead Space and if there is a game that is similar but better I would love to play it. More games need to marry the RE4 style combat with actual decent controls.

OT: Gald to see there is someone else on this site who loves DS as much as I do. I must have beaten DS2 around 7 times across different combinations of NG+ and difficulty. As for DS3 I will support the game by buying it and and show my lack of support for the microtrasactions by simply not using them. Also gotta love all the whiners calling Jim a sellout now, its like some people have their ability to think logically go out the window as soon as you mention EA.

Trishbot:
Resident Evil has them. Silent Hill has them. Nearly every great horror movie ever made has them.

Okay, ignoring the rest of your post, I take issue with this part.

Resident Evil is a MUCH more of a action series than a horror series, it's hardly all that scary, and the early games only coast by on the low, LOW standards of the PS1 generation of consoles which was the first generation where horror was even possible.

The Silent Hills that are worth a crap have between none and VERY few jump-scares, and when you go several hours without a single jump scare it will make that one jumpscare all the more satisfying. Only the newer, shittier Silent Hills really embraced jump-scares, and they were worse for it.

And nearly every great horror movie ever made? That's just false.

If the demo for DS3 is anything to go by then Dead Space no longer knows it's a game and now thinks it's a movie. The amount of times control was taken away from the character so the camera could focus on a big necromorph that goes "ooh look at me I'm scary" instead of attacking the character was annoying and shallow.

I always loved the dead space universe. I personally never found the games scary, but i still love the series and admire the developers in creating a atmosphere that oozes "this place will try and kill you at every turn."

I'm still out on whether or not I should get dead space 3, you talk about it makes me inclined to get it to see if it is still up to snuff. But if i do, there is no way i would ever even consider doing any of that micro-transaction BS EA is trying to get away with.

Sseth:

Exactly what I was wondering. How much did EA pay for this plug? Did you collaborate with their marketing department to write the script, or did they just send it to you and you recorded it?

I understand that all things are subjective, but seriously; this monologue is so removed from what the game actually gives us that it's hard to imagine that there wasn't a price tag attached to it. There's reviews, and then there's advertisements. This is almost certainly the second.

itsthesheppy:

Sseth:

Exactly what I was wondering. How much did EA pay for this plug? Did you collaborate with their marketing department to write the script, or did they just send it to you and you recorded it?

I understand that all things are subjective, but seriously; this monologue is so removed from what the game actually gives us that it's hard to imagine that there wasn't a price tag attached to it. There's reviews, and then there's advertisements. This is almost certainly the second.

Fandom can turn even the most rational man into a drooling mongoloid without any attachment to reality.

I honestly don't think that Jim is being paid, I think he's just being really, really defensive for a series that he really likes.

To the point where it may be affecting his perception of reality

It isn't survival horror, or even remotely horror. It's "OH LOOK, A SCARY THING IN A CUPBOARD! HERE IT IS JUMPING OUT AT YOU!"

Dishonored is the best new IP of this generation XD

Eh, no. Sorry Dead Space is good but its not the best in new IP.

I too love the Dead Space games but I can't play the third because of Origin. I simply will not inflict malware on my computer like that. =\

I'm not really a fan of the horror genre in any medium, so I'm probably not the best person to judge, but here's my two cents:

I've been sort-of watching the Dead Space franchise with a sense of passive disinterest for a while now, a feeling that can be summarised as "That's an interesting little game that does a few unique things and has a cult following, but it's not really my kind of thing" and I've also watched with mild displeasure as the sequels seemed to drift away from horror towards straight-up action.

For me, without a shadow of a doubt the best new IP of this generation has to go to Mass Effect. First thought on anyone's mind as soon as Mass Effect is brought up is the ending controversy, which the Extended Cut DLC nicely solved IMHO, but just the sheer fact that that the endings caused such massive, universal fan outcry across the entire gaming community shows how universally loved the franchise is, think about it, just how many moments and choices are ingrained into our collective gaming psyches, Ashley or Kaiden, who did you leave behind? Who died on your first run of The Collector Base? The death of Mordin Solus, these are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. The Mass Effect franchise contains one of the most well-crafted Sci-Fi universes in gaming, populated with some of gaming's most well-loved characters.
While this may sound like another over-blown love-letter to an EA franchise, I'm don't think the games are without criticism, ME1 falls signifcantly short of its successsors in terms of gameplay and graphics, And I still think the shift to Thermal Clips in ME2&3 was a dumb move.

Dead Space is an amazing IP, one which I have come to love very dearly, and it makes me sad that EA isn't willing to continue to support it unless this game sells 5 million. I mean... Jesus, that's setting the bar a little high considering this game has less than half the marketing of the second one. *sigh*

My experience with deadspace -
-Buys game
-Plays 6 hours
-Goes back the next day and finds that my save game has suddenly dissapeared
-Rages
-Starts new game
-Plays back up to the point that I quit the first time
-Goes back a week later to find my save has dissapeared on my again
-Trades game in.

Infamous is by far my favorite new IP of this generation.

Very well laid out case, but strictly in terms of IP and the game universe, I'd say that Mass Effect is the best of this generation, I'm kind of inclined to say in all of gaming but that's quite ambitious and I'm sure there's something out there that I can't think of right now that would give it a run for its money.

Edl01:
-Buys game
-Plays 6 hours
-Rages
-Starts new game
-Trades game in.

"I had a bad experience with this game, therefore it sucks" - You, Just then

Success of the core game will serve as a justification of the shady practices.

Superbun:

Edl01:
-Buys game
-Plays 6 hours
-Rages
-Starts new game
-Trades game in.

"I had a bad experience with this game, therefore it sucks" - You, Just then

I would like you to please point out where I said it sucks. I simply pointed out that I had a bad experience with the game and as such did not play it.
In fact the claim that I was willing to play it a second time after my first save file was deleted suggests that I quite liked the game.

Monster closets and jump scares...

Actually, I like DS. It's a great IP. It's just not as great as...

Uncharted
Mass Effect
Dragon Age
Bioshock
Assassin's Creed
Batman: Arkham series
Resistance
Demon/Dark Souls
Portal
Little Big Planet
Rockband

All of those come to mind before Dead Space. Now, some of those franchises might have had a shitty game sandwiched between better games in the franchise but we're talking about the IP and not the franchise, so DAO is better than DS. Dead Space 3 would have to have a tiny head giving midget hop out of the case and take care of things for me to ignore Mass Effect or Uncharted.

Lastly, the gen isn't done. If the rest of The Last of Us looks is as outstanding as the first 30 mins, then it might end up king of this gen...or at the very least, make Dead Space obsolete.

bringer of illumination:

This is one reason I cannot have the least bit of respect for Visceral

They have out-right STATED that they don't give a shit about the PC ports and that they ACTIVELY neuter them because they don't want any one platform (The PC) to have a "superior experience"

It's a load of fucking crap

Or they can't be arsed to cater to PC fatties who will just pirate the game anyway?

ResonanceSD:
It isn't survival horror, or even remotely horror. It's "OH LOOK, A SCARY THING IN A CUPBOARD! HERE IT IS JUMPING OUT AT YOU!"

Dishonored is the best new IP of this generation XD

Survival "Horror" is an odd thing. The thing is, it's not really about "horror", it's about tension, the player needs to be in a mental state where they actively dread meeting enemies because no matter what happens in a fight they haven't really won, because they've had to spend a limited resource to do it. In the best survival horror games you're actively thinking "do I spend bullets or risk health to run past this monster". Dead Space doesn't do that unless you play really suboptimally carrying all the crap weapons that never pay for themselves in ammo, so unless you're bad at the game the tension only persists when you're heavily outnumbered. There may also be too much combat, and too much mandatory combat (in RE/SH you can frequently avoid most of the enemies, again sheparding your limited pools of ammo and health), it becomes routine and you become a practised rekiller of the shambling dead (until the invincible one, then it's tense again). In the very best survival horror game of all (still Project Zero/Fatal Frame) the tension and tradeoff between ammo and safety is even embodied by the combat itself, because to do the most damage you have to hit just before the enemy hits you, meaning that even in combat the tension isn't broken, you're always safeguarding a limited resource.

Ironically, the closest to traditional horror in a game, Silent Hill 2, which draws horror from its themes and the dark places inside its characters, isn't tense most of the time because the combat is easy once you get the pipe and can poke enemies from beyond their attack range, risking no health and spending no bullets.

So did EA send Jim hookers and blow, or a dagger on the door?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here