LoadingReadyRun: Wizard Chat

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

nuba km:

DVS BSTrD:
snip

Now I respect merlin as much as the next magic user, but lets face it he was very old fashioned he wasn't that respectful when it came to witches and he hardly had the most open minded opinion when it came to female wizards, just because they can't grow facial hair doesn't mean they can't cast good spells. I do say higher enchantment buffs is fine for the wizard who provides ranged support, but a helmet is second to non when it comes to the old problem of axe to the face which is a big problem for those mages who fight in the front. Thrull should be paid like any other employee you don't ask dwarfs to fight for equal payment.

Dwarves are a key ally in the war on goblin terror. Their kingdoms occupy a tenuous and strategically invaluable position in the Middle Mountain Range. They deserve all the aid we can give them and should never be criticized for anything. Did I ever tell you I spent my practical application semester at the Academy working in a mythril mine?

How can you have a whole section on wands vs. staves but never mention orbs?!? It's just shoddy journalism is what it is; in my millennia, you kids would have been set to scrubbing cauldrons for a week for such insolence.

Just wanted to let you know that the Photoshop Wizard poster was not lost on everyone. Great video.

Thunderous Cacophony:
How can you have a whole section on wands vs. staves but never mention orbs?!? It's just shoddy journalism is what it is; in my millennia, you kids would have been set to scrubbing cauldrons for a week for such insolence.

I think many find it difficult to handle orbs but they have the advantage of multipal types being in sue at a single time for much greater spell variety.

DVS BSTrD:

nuba km:

DVS BSTrD:
snip

Now I respect merlin as much as the next magic user, but lets face it he was very old fashioned he wasn't that respectful when it came to witches and he hardly had the most open minded opinion when it came to female wizards, just because they can't grow facial hair doesn't mean they can't cast good spells. I do say higher enchantment buffs is fine for the wizard who provides ranged support, but a helmet is second to non when it comes to the old problem of axe to the face which is a big problem for those mages who fight in the front. Thrull should be paid like any other employee you don't ask dwarfs to fight for equal payment.

Dwarves are a key ally in the war on goblin terror. Their kingdoms occupy a tenuous and strategically invaluable position in the Middle Mountain Range. They deserve all the aid we can give them and should never be criticized for anything. Did I ever tell you I spent my practical application semester at the Academy working in a mythril mine?

what were you studying? Also I have fought along many good dwarfs, I wasn't criticising them I was merely pointing out thrull should be treated like other races.

Paul, you look like a Scottish Jesus.

Also, I'm on the staff camp myself. It can double as a walking stick on those muddy forest hikes, and if need be it can make a great improvised blunt melee weapon. Can you imagine getting hit in the ol' crystal balls with an oak staff?

Walk softly, and carry a big stick.

I can't believe I never realized that Aubrey de Grey must be immortal already, on account of being a wizard.

nuba km:

DVS BSTrD:

nuba km:

what were you studying? Also I have fought along many good dwarfs, I wasn't criticising them I was merely pointing out thrull should be treated like other races.

I got my Nether degree in Blood Arithmancy, then I went to work for the IRS before settling down and becoming a fulltime minion breeder and binder.

Wands, staves, it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it! Unless you can transform one to the other, then something else, then anything goes.

Darth_Payn:
Wands, staves, it's not the size that counts, it's how you use it! Unless you can transform one to the other, then something else, then anything goes.

I actually hide both a ritual dagger and a wand within my staff. That way I have access to all of my tools on the go.

Utili-stick is the most ingenious tool every devised for traveling wizardry.

Meh, both wands and staffs have their uses.

A good staff is much more expensive, but it can handle way more force. Wand is cheaper, easier and more suited for finely detailed work.

Me, I'm specializing in necromancy, so I'm just going to stick with my staff. I use the shrunken heads and other enchanted objects to control the magical current, the staff is just there to direct that to right direction.
I understand that if you use your staff/wand to directly gather the mana and to give the power form right there, it matters much more...

My biggest problem with fashion is getting the smell out!

nuba km:
or even bare hand for the particularly skilled.

It's fine for spells that don't use much mana, but anything above level 5 on the Veles-scale, you really don't want your skin to be the surface for the plane-transition of energy.
That being said, the weavers of illusions do some crazy stuff with just a tiny amount of mana and bare hands...

vxicepickxv:

Darth_Payn:

I actually hide both a ritual dagger and a wand within my staff. That way I have access to all of my tools on the go.

Isn't there a risk of the mana-charges interfering with each other, then?
I guess it's fine if they're synchronious, but if they are, why carry more than one anyway?

I might be wrong, obviously. Seeing how I'm a necromancer and so constantly use heavily opposing forces. Some of my crystals used to capture souls get interference really easily, so I need to keep them shielded from all of my other equipment.

Ooh, I like this one.
I'd love to see...
Well, hear, more Wizard chat.

This was awesome! It should happen again sometime

Pft... fuck both staves AND wands... for the hip young wizard, it's clearly a light, but durable rune engraved sword.

Oh for the love of- Now gentlemagi, it is clear that the guest's pro-wand argument was only given to incite fiery discourse such as this, we are meant to talk of fashion. Now, I have recently purchased a new cloak that I've needed hemmed and my question is: For the mantled hood that accompanies the cloak do I have it hemmed to maintain the original proportion of fabric length or do I leave it as is? The mantle isn't to the length of being uncomfortable but when seen in the reflecting pool it just seems so long. Also, what's the deal with the organic alchemy movement?

Punch You:

In addition to what you said, I'm always angered whenever they say that every wizard needs a beard. You try becoming an 11th evolution biomancer and see if you can avoid the occasional pyromantic crab cancer or two. Plus, I'm 26% reptile! You have any idea how ridiculous I'd look with mammalian hair? I was looking for real fashion tips to make up for my current out-of-place dolphin fin, but this radio show just proved to be as unhelpful as ever.

I really have to agree with this... If one were to examine my profile, they would note that I don't even HAVE a face for which a beard to grow...

I mean... come on!

and to build upon my previous post as one might build upon a standard working enchantment (one layer at a time), I was a diligent staff user for years. It's great for walking around... but eventually your hand just gets tired of grasping all day long. That's why I switched to the sword. It hangs from your hip, you can intimidate the lay with it, AND it holds almost as much power as my old staff.

Blackout62:
Oh for the love of- Now gentlemagi, it is clear that the guest's pro-wand argument was only given to incite fiery discourse such as this, we are meant to talk of fashion. Now, I have recently purchased a new cloak that I've needed hemmed and my question is: For the mantled hood that accompanies the cloak do I have it hemmed to maintain the original proportion of fabric length or do I leave it as is? The mantle isn't to the length of being uncomfortable but when seen in the reflecting pool it just seems so long. Also, what's the deal with the organic alchemy movement?

I think both are acceptable. The hood, while part of the cloak, need not adhere to any hemming you need elsewhere. If it seems long to you, hemming is acceptable, but take care not to get it too short, because then it looks rather silly.

As for organic alchemy... Ugh. Don't get me started on that nonsense.

Bah! Youth today with their wands and staves. Back in the day, we used our hands and nothing more! We also wore animal pelts and no hats at all. All we had to accessorise with were wood and bone trinkets!

Captcha: leave britney alone. Who is this britney you speak of, oh aetherguard homunculus?

Wands/Staves, bah. Wasn't there a time when wizards simply held a spellbook in one had and cast out the other? (totally didn't see the comment above me before I posted)

Also, love Paul's costume but his eyebrows are a tad noticeably brown.

I think it worth mentioning that all the Magi of Escapology should scholor it up within our guild:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/Aethernet-Wizards-Warlock-and-Witches-guild

Graham_LRR:
Snip

STARTING WITH YOU!

I'm a wand user myself but that's because I do mainly fine detail work rather than any ideological commitment to the wand camp.

However, leaving the wand vs stave argument to one side for a moment I'd like to know about magic rings: How many is too many? and should I be looking for large single cabochon showy items or would that be too gaudy?

I really enjoyed this. And that beard really fit paul. Also if you do this again dive into the creepier kinds of wizards, with questions/topics like how many skulls is too many? Entrails, pools of blood or scream powered magic mirror which is the right choice for scrying?

I'm so glad this ended up coming to fruition.

So would one say that a wizard with a very big hat is compensating for something?

vxicepickxv:

Darth_Payn:

Utili-stick is the most ingenious tool every devised for traveling wizardry.

Yeah, what they don't realise is that you need to make the size work for you rather than you working against it.

The video was good.

This thread, meanwhile, is amazing. I feel like my faith in everything has been restored.

(Although we probably shouldn't give much mind to faith. We're wizards, not clerics, after all.)

Thunderous Cacophony:

Oh sure if you want to be the kind of pansy who doesn't carry around a phallic symbol.

I like how the screen in the background said the callers' name and question before they did. Clairvoyance!

Paul may have left his beard, but his beard never left him.

James Bowe:
I'm a wand user myself but that's because I do mainly fine detail work rather than any ideological commitment to the wand camp.

However, leaving the wand vs stave argument to one side for a moment I'd like to know about magic rings: How many is too many? and should I be looking for large single cabochon showy items or would that be too gaudy?

As a staff user, I can still see the appeal of a wand, i just personally need the raw power and channeling that a staff can provide rather than the delicacy of a wand. On the topic of rings however, in my opinion a good rule of thumb is one ring per hand. Any more than that and you run the risk of some of the magic interfering with itself, or, by the Aether, some kind of catastrophic failure. And as for the size, that's all up to preference. Enchanting is more dependent on the quality of the stone rather than the size. If you can see the appeal of a larger amulet and ring set, by all means, have at it. For wizards in parties and on the go however, i would recomend against it. It makes you too much of a target for thieves and the like. I personally like to remain as anonymous as possible when traveling with my group, so my enchantments are rather understated. Most can barely even tell I am a wizard by looking at me, a fact I am quite proud of. Bandits have a tendency to dive on you once they know that you can set them all on fire with a thought, no?

Say what you want, but if you can find a good lengh of ash and carve it yourself, I see no reason why a stave cannot be just as effective.

Ah yes, the age-old wand vs staff debate... As an accomplished mesmer, I prefer to split the difference with a lovely infused rapier. All the motility and dexterity of a wand, but with the combat ability and power of the staff. Additionally, you can infuse a simple pole scabbard and use it as a secondary casting implement or "short-staff". Overall, though, I'll have to agree that a wand is simply more versatile than a staff. Unless you absolutely, positively need something blinked out of existence and banished to terror realms unknown to mortal and wizard alike right now, or can't conjure a simple shield spell quickly enough that you need a big stick to defend yourself, a wand is simply the better tool. Look at it this way: for day-to-day tasks, which is the more useful? a pocketknife or a greatsword? (just imagine opening a package with a greatsword...)

I don't know, As an enchantress myself, I often find a low-cut robe to be all the *ahem* enhancement i need. These poor wizard-boys are so starved for the sight of a *ahem* good *ahem* woman, that they turn to putty in my hands...

DVS BSTrD:

nuba km:

DVS BSTrD:
snip

Agh! Again with the war on Goblin terror!

What about the Necromancers of North Kra va um??! We know they're using the neverending war with the southern kingdom to collect souls so they can complete the staff of a thousand terrors to summon highborn demons which they can then send to our enemies!

We need to seriously consider were our fine young battlemages are deployed and move them out of the Middle Mountain Range and into the Dragon Kingdoms of the east to show our might so that we may deter these blasted Necromages!

Wands and staves? please!

Check it; have someone use unicorn blood to engrave your flesh with magic symbols. You get all the portability and ease of use of a wand (Plus, you'll never lose a tattoo), but your hands will be free, so if you need a way to defend yourself at close range, you can carry a weapon (Spellsowrds FTW).

kajinking:

DVS BSTrD:

nuba km:

Agh! Again with the war on Goblin terror!

What about the Necromancers of North Kra va um??! We know they're using the neverending war with the southern kingdom to collect souls so they can complete the staff of a thousand terrors to summon highborn demons which they can then send to our enemies!

We need to seriously consider were our fine young battlemages are deployed and move them out of the Middle Mountain Range and into the Dragon Kingdoms of the east to show our might so that we may deter these blasted Necromages!

I would like to kill a dragon as much as the next battlemage, I mean dragon based weapons and armour are pretty awesome, I fear if we unnecessarily assault the dragon home land we may anger an elder dragon, some of these guys know how to cast meteor spells as if they were magic missiles. We need as many of our forces to fight the goblins in order to make sure they don't pull any flanking manoeuvres our simply try and go around us and attack villages. Also we have as many spirit catchers in use on the battle field as possible to try and minimise the souls the necromancers of north kra va um are getting.

Thunderous Cacophony:
How can you have a whole section on wands vs. staves but never mention orbs?!?

Oy, don't get me started.

Obviously, the volume-to-surface area ratio can't be beat, but that's about it. And what happens when the oaf of a fighter in front of you bumps into you and makes you drop your Orb on to the stone dungeon floor? It gets scratched, that's what. You ever try casting a Purify Evil spell through a scratched Orb? Not pretty.

Even if you only drop it on dirt, you'll still ruin the AR coating (yes, I'm in the AR coating camp; sue me!). Unless it's kept in very fine cloth, you're going to get scratches and blemishes. And if you've got a sentient Orb with an attitude, heaven help you if you try to keep it in anything less than dragon silk.

And that volume-to-surface area ratio advantage is also its disadvantage. Those things are effing heavy -- you'll be too encumbered to carry any loot. (Yes, you can mount an Orb on the end of a staff, but all that does is free up a pouch.)

So, yeah, Orbs are more of a lab tool, IMHO.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here