Zero Punctuation: Dead Space 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Yeah that's the problem when you try to be awesome at everything, you don't do anything particularly well. I hope this franchise can finally go off and die and peace now before it gets even worse.

I have played through quite a lot of Dead Space 3 now on Normal, which is the level I start everything on and it is ridiculously easy. Ok, I thought the beginning of the game, escaping from the colony and exploring the derelic ships was quite atmospheric and scary and quite hard in places, I died loads of times trying to to escape from 2 regenerators and fire from the ship at the same time.

But as soon as I got to Tau Volantis, it wasn't so bad as I was trying to keep my body temperature up. But after your suit gets fixed, all challenge goes out of the window. The game throws ammo and medium med packs at you, I've got a fucking safe full of those med packs because I keep thinking there is going to be some super hard boss to fight. But it never comes. Plus you level the armour and HP on your rig and you become almost unkillable.

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the game, but it really isn't as good as Dead Space 1 or 2. Maybe I need to play it on a harder setting. And there are side missions for the single player, its just that they give you nothing but more ammo and health kits.

Is it just me or Dead space 2 had solid ending that could have ended the series? And then suddenly EA pulled third game out of their arse?

Yup that's EA in a nutshell. Their games are written, designed, tested, and constructed by the most cynical of marketing departments.

I never cared for the franchise, but for the sake of the people that do I really hate to see yet another game get EA'd. Artistic integrity seems to mean nothing to the upper management of that corporation, and I'm glad to hear more people call them out on it.

oh hey an online pass required for co-op since co-op can only be done online lol...but of course EA

Yahtzee, once again, delivers the hilarity this week.

amiran123:
I do find it somewhat hypocritical when people keep complaining about all the generic shooters but then proceed to buy them and play them.

There's a reason they keep being made!

Except that Dead Space is marketed as a horror game. Also criticising a game is not necessarily the same thing as saying it should not be made.

Is it just me, or does the html5 version of this video display some wierd graphical artefacts?

The random "Daisy the cow gave me creutzfeldt jacob disease" when making fun of farmville had me laughing nearly breathlessly for a good 10 minutes. Well done Yahtzee, well done.

Evil Top Hat:
Thank god, I was getting sick of every reviewer giving it a great write up. Somebody needed to come along and that homogeneous mess to pieces, Yahtzee proves the perfect man for the job.

Yeah, god forbid they actually enjoy something you don't. That's just inconcievable!

OT: While definitely the weakest of the three, I actually enjoy this game. In my opinion though, Dead Space 2 was the high point because they realized that they were an action horror game and just rolled with it instead of forcing jump scares down your throat all the damn time.

In regards to this one, the even greater focus on action makes all of its scares really kind of pointless, and I was pretty irritated that they kept doing horror game stuff in enviroments suited for action. However, I found the crafting system pretty neat and I really love the world of Dead Space, so it's nice to see more of it.

Sure, this game tries to do a lot of stuff, like Resident Evil 6, but unlike RE6, Dead Space 3 is still pretty fun to play.

Well after Jim's endorsement i was prolly gonna get this game after it dropped in price, but after hearing about these coop only rooms im not so sure anymore.

trty00:

Yeah, god forbid they actually enjoy something you don't. That's just inconcievable!

No, it's just nice to see other people sharing my point of view. I didn't say anything about thinking the game was objectively bad, other people were wrong or that everybody should all have my opinion, so I've no idea why you decided to react in such an unprovoked, passive aggressive manner.

People get butthurt over the smallest of things.

Eh... part of the reason the games got progressively less scary couldn't be helped. The necromorphs are getting old. They were always grunting and groaning, and they always came on screen with classical music blaring in the background. I wasn't afraid of them anymore by the end of the first game, honestly. The second game managed to add a few new scares by ratcheting up the necromorph action to eleven, but now there's just nowhere else to go. It's just

BLASRGHGARAGH!!! *DUN DUN DUNNNN*

*stasis*

*leg shot arm shot*

*rinse* *repeat*

....Which is exactly how it got to be by the end of the first game, too.

titankore:
EA specializes in making the video game equivalent to Coors, Budwieser, and... I forget the other one. Make it bland but spend a ton of money advertising some stupid gimmick to cover up the fact it is watered down piss.

... Miller?

Anywho...

I dunno. I didn't really love or hate DS3. Granted, I got it for free thanks to a gift card I got for Christmas to Best Buy which never really stocks anything I actually want so I had to spend it on something. I probably would have been more upset with its overall quality if I'd actually put hard-earned cash toward it, though I don't think I'd be crucifying it like some people seem to want.

It's definitely much more action-oriented than the other two main games and lacking in a lot of the horror elements, but I dunno... the series as a whole has never struck me as particularly horrifying. It was mostly an action series from the get-go with the occasional bit of disturbing imagery. I feel like the environments and sound design were both for the most part quite strong, though. The cash shop stuff is 100% completely, and very easily, avoidable even when playing on the hardest difficulties. And the bits where you fight other humans are usually pretty short and uncommon within the scope of the game.

At the end of the day, I don't think I can call it a bad game. I certainly wouldn't put it on one of my "top games" lists here on the forums... it's not even my favorite within the series. But I don't think it really did anything exceedingly terrible either to deserve as much hate as it's seemingly getting (especially when a certain other recent action/horror/FPS deserves it sooo much more). To be clear, I love survival/horror games... and I'm not upset with the action-focus of the Dead Space series since, frankly, it was never survival/horror. The majority of the people I see really accusing it of being a survival/horror game gone wrong are hardcore survival/horror fans who just can't seem to accept that the heyday of their favorite genre has come and gone, and now it's mostly just a niche genre or a modifier attached to other genres to make them slightly more interesting or different (like in the case of this series).

Never played a Dead Space game in my life, and probably won't, but Yahtzee's summary of the micro-transactions philosophy was spot on. You can certainly buy things from this game, if you want to, yet your reasons for doing it should be questioned and your wallet, yes, taken away from you.

And I've done it with EA before too, so I've learned my lesson. Playing hours upon hours of ME3 MP, and getting very little from the stupid micro-transactions that they offer you, has put a sour taste in my mouth. Not worth it and I'm pretty sure anyone can figure it out pretty quickly.

This review is yet another example of Yahtzee bringing in all his preconceptions about what he expects a game to be like, in this case a horror game, rather than what the game actually is, which I think its fair to say is an action game with horror elements (though to what degree these 'horror elements' go is more up for debate).

On further reflection, it's that sort of approach to reviewing of Yahtzee's, which ends up being as much a 'review' of the game as a critique on the wider video game industry and specific game publishers/studios a lot of the time, that actually grates with me. I'd prefer it if these aforementioned elements remained in Yahtzee's weekly columns though I suppose Yahtzee clearly has his own style and he's going to do it his own way, and he may have good valid reasons for including said elements.

I suppose though that's not what I have real issue with here; my main problem is his apparent lack of a fair and unbiased opinion (as much as reasonably possible) on a game as a single product in itself. I won't deny, I'm genuinely interested in hearing what Yahztee's opinions are on a game that I have some interest in, as many of his criticisms and praises (though the latter are fewer and far between) are often valid and highly salient, but at the same time, many of his points are sadly lacking in at least some form of objectivity. I'm not saying go all out in the objectivity as it is the subjective opinions of a particular reviewer which is the reason many read/watch certain reviews in the first place, but nonetheless, this subjective opinion should be based on some form of objective framework, and Yahtzee, as I said, seems to me to rely on preconceived notions (quite outside of his own tastes and preferences which are fine to include), which really doesn't give the game a chance to stand on its own feet but rather judge it as based on what he expects from it.

He's still entertaining, and he still makes many very good valid points, but I tire of his essentially groaning and moaning when a game doesn't match what he personally envisioned for it or wanted out of it more. There's a place for that sort of critique but I don't believe it belongs in even-handed reviews; I just want to know what you thought of the game in itself, not what personal wishes you expected the game to fulfil. So what if you wanted it to be more horror orientated and less of a typical action game? I don't care about that in a review; if its an action game just tell me what's it like as an action game and a game full stop in your opinion and I can use that informed analysis to help me either decide whether it's a game that might possibly suit me or whether your criticisms and positive points correlate with my own (if I've played it already) or are ones I hadn't made myself and thus provide a different perspective.

That's how I'd review games anyway.......

I for one never really considerd Deadspace a horror series its action with horror elements but ive always liked it but im starting to get annoyed with Ea's "every game must have multiplayer" Come on EA you're not idiots beef up the SP a bit

Evil Top Hat:
Thank god, I was getting sick of every reviewer giving it a great write up. Somebody needed to come along and that homogeneous mess to pieces, Yahtzee proves the perfect man for the job.

He hated the other two that people like you love to point as the paragon of why this game sucks too. I fail to see how this works in your favor in any way. I'd argue he hated the first two even more in his critiques.

Oh look!, Yahtzee doesn't like Dead Space 3 what a shock. I personally thought it was pretty bad ass and definitely gave me what I was looking forward to for a third game in the franchise. The opening levels where you get to explore the Roanoke area was awesome and definitely the closest I felt a game has come to really making you feel like an astronaut.

Ha! Speaking of digging up old ideas, thanks for pre-recording your review of Dead Space 3 from July 2012. I imagine you had to scramble to remove the "Gears of Dead Space" comparison when you realized the game doesn't force you behind chest-high walls for more than 1/25th of the entire game (and even then you aren't glued to the wall), but that freed up some space to get in that dead-horse-beating bit about brain slugs and EA. On the subject of parasites you might want to start dashing your head with salt or getting your hands on some specialty shampoo because a lot of the comments on this thread reek of the anti-fan, those people who have decided to hate something and just won't shut up about how much they hate it. And lay down some traps because if this keeps up you'll be hanging from a giant exclamation point as they martyr you into their own little cult.

That said I look forward to your Aliens: Colonial Marines review, a game which I have never played but will take smug proxy-sadistic glee as you rip into it, validating my uninformed disgust.

It looks to me that the makers of Dead Space 3 learned all the wrong things from Resident Evil 5, what with co-op just NOT BEING SCARY IN A SURVIVAL-HORROR GAME! I remember Yahtzee's E3 special last year, when he 1st thought this was another Lost Planet sequel.

Tuesday Night Fever:
I don't think it really did anything exceedingly terrible either to deserve as much hate as it's seemingly getting (especially when a certain other recent action/horror/FPS deserves it sooo much more). To be clear, I love survival/horror games... and I'm not upset with the action-focus of the Dead Space series since, frankly, it was never survival/horror. The majority of the people I see really accusing it of being a survival/horror game gone wrong are hardcore survival/horror fans who just can't seem to accept that the heyday of their favorite genre has come and gone, and now it's mostly just a niche genre or a modifier attached to other genres to make them slightly more interesting or different (like in the case of this series).

And that is pretty much it, people want the game to be something it never was, it was never intended to be a hardcore survival horror game. It was first and foremost a scifi action/horror game and DS3 is as true to its intent as it can possibly be. If this game wasn't an EA game we wouldn't even be having these discussions tbut since it has their label on it, its automatically a "betrayal" to the genre or a sh** game with no soul. Its amazing how many hate band wagon jumpers there are in these forums who can't think for themselves and yet without having played the games at all, damn it to death without even giving it a chance...pretty sad.

I have to agree, co-op did ruin any "Horror" elements the game could possibly give.

Having two people repeatedly yelling "DO YOU EVEN LIFT", at the undead really ruins the "Scary" vibe, but is quite enjoyable in its own way.

Frostbite3789:

Evil Top Hat:

He hated the other two that people like you love to point as the paragon of why this game sucks too. I fail to see how this works in your favor in any way. I'd argue he hated the first two even more in his critiques.

... he hated the other two, and they are the paragon of why this one sucks? I'm confused. That's like saying the Return of the King sucks because the Fellowship of the Ring was shit. I don't understand what you mean. Personally, I thought the first two were okay, with the original being the best.

I also like how you throw around terms like "people like you", immediately making assumptions of my character based on a single dislike of a single game. If I were to do the same, I could look at your comment and see a random guy posting aggressive responses because I have a different opinion to him, and conclude that you're the kind of tosser that tries to start arguments in youtube comment sections. I imagine that's not the kind of person you are though, so if it's unjust of me to make assumptions about you, why is it fair of you to do the same to me?

If I enjoy seeing that I'm not alone in my opinion on a game, then it doesn't matter if it "works in my favour", I just like knowing that my feelings are shared by somebody else. I don't need my opinions justified by some random guy on the internet.

franksands:
So does this means that Dead Space is now Spunk-Gargle-Wee-Wee?

No, but it is a shooter that will let you make a gun that shoots shrukens saw blades and lightning.

OuendanCyrus:
The Dead Space games has never been horror but I still enjoy the series, to me, the "scares" in the Dead Space games is just the signal of the start of a battle, I also can't find myself be scared at all, the loud noises resembles that of an exploding building in a modern military shooter.

I like Dead Space 3's crafting system and the attempt of being a bit more open, but I don't like how considerably easy this game is, the game just seems to love throwing medpacks at you, at one point, I had around 20 medium medpacks in my safe that I don't think I ever used.

That's nothing, at one point I had something like 2000 magazines in my bank, on top of around 90 medium medpacks. Coming out of the previous games it's really hard not to be an obsessive hoarder, but, there isn't much reason to be.

I suppose I should go back in and try it on classic mode, though.

This game is in the prestige company of those chosen few that were granted one of my most rarest awards. The 'not worth finishing' award. I got bored at what I guess is 3/4 through and haven't played it since.

Eh, I liked it.

I got to the point of replaying Dead Space 2 the umpteenth time that I could predict when the scares would happen so I really wasn't expecting DS3 to do much for me but some bits are actually quite creepy and unsettling. Not horror by any stretch but unsettling and thats ok for me.

On another note some of the weapon combos are completely overpowered. You can craft a minigun/chaingun near the middle of the game that wrecks everything.
One of the things I liked about DS2 and DS1 is that most of the weapons were improvised tools, this time you can make shotguns, assault rifles, chain guns and bloody full on rocket launchers, which arent as useful as they sound.

I'd be interested in seeing a discussion between Yahtzee and Jim about this series, considering Yahtzee has repeatedly panned it in all 3 reviews while Jim recently put out a video hailing it as the best new IP of this generation.

WaitWHAT:

DVS BSTrD:

Look Buddy, I'm an engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What's a horror game?" because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems

For instance: how am I gonna stop some big, mean mother-hubbard from giving me a profit-damaging horror atmosphere? The answer? Lose the fun.

Also: LOL

Dude, you win forever.

Darks63:
Well after Jim's endorsement i was prolly gonna get this game after it dropped in price, but after hearing about these coop only rooms im not so sure anymore.

Bro, there are three coop rooms each about the length of an optional mission. Each one is a great way to figure out Carver's backstory. Get the game. It's fantastic.

Best punchline I've heard in a while.

crimson sickle2:
You have to feel sad for the fans of this franchise. They got two decent games and then EA completely assumes control, forces it into this shell of a game, and places a quota as ransom to guilt fans into buying it.

Is that what they're doing now? Pretty clever,sick & evil but clever; that should move a few more units. It's like they have the MCP running things at EA.

Abomination:
snip

Well if you enjoyed the first two games combat, you will still enjoy this one's combat. The things that are different gameplay-wise from the first two games are the fact it's way too easy to find supplies and there's a serious lack of memorable moments and areas (like the hemorrhoid in the tumble dryer or the day-care center).

Gameplay is still Dead Spacey fun but get it when the price drops considerably, because it's just flat out not as good as the other ones.

Anyway, the analogy for the micro-transactions and the cast of characters were perfect.

crimson sickle2:
You have to feel sad for the fans of this franchise. They got two decent games and then EA completely assumes control, forces it into this shell of a game, and places a quota as ransom to guilt fans into buying it.

You have no idea.

I loved the first two games to death, but this...

Yahtzee pretty much hit all the points I expected him to, though I thought he'd harp on the weapon crafting system some more, rather than the lack of scares. The only really scary bits were the parts with the regenerating ubermorphs.

I never ran out of healing items or ammo when I was playing Silent Hill 2 on hard action mode. So what's the difference between never running out in Silent Hill 2 and never running out in Dead Space 3? I'll answer my own question. The difference is that I had to work hard (sometimes shamefully turtleing) to keep my stuff in Silen Hill 2 oftentimes having to run away from monsters since that was a much smarter alternative.

Now that's the litmus test for whether a horror game is actually a horror game, namely: is it wise for the player to often avoid the monsters?

Anyway, while the Dead Space series was never really scary (all three games failing the test above) I did get some perverse joy out of the Dead Space 2 demo for the fact that I was absolutely dominating these monstrosities when I should be panicking in fear of them. It's like when you unlock the Infinite Ammo Machine Gun in Silent Hill 3. I tried the Dead Space 3 demo and I couldn't even get that irreverent feeling from Dead Space 2. The enemies were just too pathetic and as such could not even give me the modicum of tension that I could laugh at in Dead Space 2. Dead Space 3 commits the worst possible artistic sin by being boring in its mediocrity. I'd rather the game be terrible than mediocre, at least then it would be interesting.

To the few people who say that Dead Space was never really a horror series and thus it can be enjoyed as an action game I say, fine, you can still enjoy it but it is still a failure of a series. It's a failure because it was clearly trying to be scary and it failed in that so much that's it's utterly given up on trying. Enjoying Dead Space for the action is like enjoying a linear, heavily story-focused JRPG for its combat.

themilo504:
I was expecting a alien colonial marine review since every critic and their dog are currently tearing this game apart.

Two weeks are usually required - one to play, one to write. Aliens came out last week. So, more likely going to be next week a review.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Luckily the series ended just as I was running out of sci-fi authors

Oh please, you think they're going to stop making Dead Space games, if the third one sells even remotely well?

That's too bad; I loved Dead Space 1. Haven't played through DS2 myself but it seems to keep to the mechanics I loved about the first game. Anyway, it's on my list of games to tackle this summer, and I was excited to try 3 after it..

Sadly, the general consensus coming from reviewers (including the ones who gave the game a high score) is that DS3 loses a lot of tension found in the first 2 games, and isn't helped by its over-abundance of health packs and ammo. Sad news for this guy, but I'll probably end up playing it eventually.

And what was with all the Christmas references, Yahtzee? Is someone in the holly, jolly spirit this February?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here