Zero Punctuation: Tomb Raider Anniversary

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Good work. Don't feel pressured by Internet crazies to only do reviews of bad games. I quite enjoyed your review of Psychonauts, which fortunately I had purchased a couple of years ago, thusly avoiding your ire. I still might download this remake, but yes, it does seem strange that the original Resident Evil was remade only six years after its initial release. And this one was ten years... you could call that impressive restraint. It's not new, of course - Sierra remade King's Quest in hi-res EGA, and then did terrible, terrible remakes of Space Quest, Hero's Quest, and Leisure Suit Larry in adventure ruining point and click. All of those were only 5-7 years after their original release. Most sequels are just remakes with slightly tweaked stories anyhow, so maybe a remake is more honest.

Gah ha ha. Sooooo funny.

Hilarious.

If I ask you to slow down I'll get killed by dozens of angry people... so I won't I've palyed every game reviewed so far (except this one) and it's all true.(Even funnier this way)

Another "I agree with you 100%". What's up with these damn remakes lately??? It's like creativity has died a loooong time ago. :(

dude i liked your other reviews more, i enjoyed the bioshock game but totally understand why the game was shallow thanks to you lol. problem i felt with this review is that the points you made aren't original and have been done better and funnier than you. you just remade old comments lol. not having a go (i think your better than angry nintendo nerd lol) its just that games like price of persia have shit camera shots and bad controlls too why not reveiw that. i love to see more but it has to be more original than the last one. BTW i love tomb raider but understand what you mean. list of games you may consider reveiwing:
-prince of persia
-resistance fall of man
- (just for a laugh) gears of war.
-red steel

so fellow assie, just hope you make more of your instent classics and i think these games are worth being reviewed by you.

p.s i also love boobs, hooters and mellons and great story ideas lol :)

Nice. I am glad someone is finally taking the piss out of lackluster games. Fuck you lady, ha ha that is classic stuff. I remember when this first came out and my friend who recommended it to me swore that is was like the original tomb raider but good. I later called to disparage his taste in games after I bought the ps2 version when he interrupted me mid-chastisement to ask if I purchased the pc version. I told him, I bought it on PS2 to which he replied, "well that's your first problem, right there."

Wow, looks like this random Brit sure got popular fast. o__O

*ahem*

I, too, am a fan who is here solely for Yahtzee. I'd never heard of the place before. Ah well, it's all good.

I don't play Tomb Raider. I have no intention of every playing Tomb Raider. I could care less if his reviews are accurate or not--they're funny, and that's all that matters.

Keep up the good work, and lay off us American's. We insult ourselves more than enough these days. ~__~

I don't understand all the people going to great lengths to disagree with the reviews. Surely they are missing the whole point of the things? It doesn't matter if you agree/disagree, the point is to have a laugh (which Yahtzee is providing in bucketfuls). Yes, he is deliberately exaggerating some things for comedy value, but that is what comedians do.

I don't know Yahtzee, but I'm convinced he doesn't intend for his reviews to be taken so seriously. Or maybe he does and it's time I jumped on his head for saying cruel things about my lovely Bioshock? ;)

Yes, I'm another one who's registered just so I can comment on how brilliant these reviews are.

Yahtzee, I pretty much agree with everything you said. I found myself screaming at the tv (especially in the lost island levels) because Lara WOULDN'T DO AS I TOLD HER TO! Argh! And this coming from me, a die hard TR fan for 11 years and counting.

I dunno, I didn't think this one was that great. That may be because the Bioshock one blew me out of the water and I had some high expectations, oh well, maybe the next one will get me.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Yes, it seems a few people have jumped to the defense of Tomb Raider. I was calling it how I saw it. It seemed like the camera was always swinging around just as I was about to run-jump off something and then I'd be run-jumping in the wrong direction. And I did experience quite a few environment collision issues, like jumping towards a ledge but Lara failing to grab onto it, or seeing her do some weird spastic jig when standing on awkward terrain. Of course, I was playing the PS2 version, if that means anything.

I never played the PS2 build, but I wouldn't be surprised if was more buggy. I tested TR: Legend, and I remember the PS2 build for that got shipped with more bugs than its PC counterpart (oh and since you're such a big Psychonauts fan... you might like to know I was the Assisstant Lead Tester on that as well). So it wouldn't surprise me at all that the PS2 version of Anniversary was more worse for the wear.

That's unfortunate too, because as I stated above the PC build plays like a dream and the graphics (and sound design) really deliver as well.

Oh well, I'm still looking forward to what you review next week regardless of my opinion of this review.

Chinster:
I don't understand all the people going to great lengths to disagree with the reviews. Surely they are missing the whole point of the things? It doesn't matter if you agree/disagree, the point is to have a laugh (which Yahtzee is providing in bucketfuls). Yes, he is deliberately exaggerating some things for comedy value, but that is what comedians do.

I don't know Yahtzee, but I'm convinced he doesn't intend for his reviews to be taken so seriously. Or maybe he does and it's time I jumped on his head for saying cruel things about my lovely Bioshock? ;)

Yes and they are hilarious, but in the past he has brought up some really great points that go beyond comedy, and into the "I'm actually serious about this you twats" mentality.

Which is excellent and great, but he has to expect people to call him on shit if he is making statements that they wholeheartedly disagree with right? It's not like these are reviews that no one is looking at (on the contrary... it seems as if his videos are getting popular incredibly fast, and for good reason). Also I haven't seen one post on here from someone acting like a fanboy. We are all bringing up perfectly valid points without being dicks about it.

by the way, the Litany Against Fear reference was priceless.

Why does everyone see the need to repeat what ten million people said before them? WE GET IT ALREADY! These are awesome though and Croshaw is the the man, I just wish theyd put that original fable video up... that was the funniest ever. (yes, i only registered to comment on this video- they better be paying him big money)

Yahtzee Croshaw:
It seemed like the camera was always swinging around just as I was about to run-jump off something and then I'd be run-jumping in the wrong direction. And I did experience quite a few environment collision issues, like jumping towards a ledge but Lara failing to grab onto it, or seeing her do some weird spastic jig when standing on awkward terrain.

Agreed. Also Stonking huge Tits.

Chinster:

I don't look at Yahtzee's reviews to get an ultra-serious, objective scripture. That's pretty much clear from the onset. However, if you *are* going to make fun of a game and exaggerate some elements for comedy value, those elements should be actually present in the game so that the comedy takes place in the right context. Otherwise there's no point in calling the animation a "review of Game X" - it's still cool to watch, don't get me wrong there.

Personally, I played the PC version and experienced some extremely simplified, hand-holding jump mechanics - probably because the game touts a time trial mode after all and jumping a la Tomb Raider Original would make such trial a veritable nightmare. Usually, because it's so obvious where to go next, I would already do a jump before the camera had a chance to turn - as a result, I didn't experience a lot of camera issues. (then again, I have many, many years of experience with Resident Evil so I can pretty much navigate through any leap of faith/invisible enemies/difficult camera system without blinking an eye so my view on all this might be slightly biased)

The PlayStation 2 version might be quite different from the PC version, so if that's what causing the confusion, then okay.

Oh, and Johnnyfirebird reminded me: sometimes, remakes *can* be quite good. Resident Evil Remake on Gamecube was well done, really, with all-new puzzles and areas next to the graphical update. Anniversary is pretty as a picture, too, some puzzles have been reinvented and executed very well, but overall, it just feels too easy, too abusable, and the creature combat is worse than ever. It still was a very nice trip down memory lane, though.

Wow another wonderful review! I can't believe how defensive some of these posters are. I guess they kind of miss the whole point of the series. Either way, I am glad that I stumbled across this site because this is some of the funniest stuff I have seen in a long time.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Yes, it seems a few people have jumped to the defense of Tomb Raider. I was calling it how I saw it. It seemed like the camera was always swinging around just as I was about to run-jump off something and then I'd be run-jumping in the wrong direction. And I did experience quite a few environment collision issues, like jumping towards a ledge but Lara failing to grab onto it, or seeing her do some weird spastic jig when standing on awkward terrain. Of course, I was playing the PS2 version, if that means anything.

Well, the "spastic jig" usually happens when close to an edge or standing on a very small surface like a pole or similar. Normally, you'd then get that almost everlasting flashing button I talked about to rebalance ms. Croft. If it happened in mid terrain or without the flashing button, that'd be a bug indeed. Cheers.

I have one word to say and one word only, brilliant

and tisk tisk u went back on your word

damn! that was 1...2....3...alot of words.....

brillant just brillant.

as always you have come through with a great review that made me laugh till the end, im also a big fan of YTOTW it was (and still is) fantastic!

TombRaider died after Episode 3
Rest is just garbage

Ofc funny review again
<3 Yahtzee

Easykill:
Why does everyone see the need to repeat what ten million people said before them? WE GET IT ALREADY! These are awesome though and Croshaw is the the man, I just wish theyd put that original fable video up... that was the funniest ever. (yes, i only registered to comment on this video- they better be paying him big money)

I agree.

I hate to bring this up, but I can't seem to find a solution anywhere else.. I seem to be having problems viewing the Zero Punctuation vids. In fact, everytime I go to the links, I see the text, but there isn't a vid in sight. The only way I've managed to even see most of them are on YouTube. Which, by the way isn't something I really want to be forced to do. Is there some kind of particular player I require for this webbie or something?

You guys need to fix the video system(replace it with something that runs better) or mirror it on youtube.

Yahtzee Croshaw
Its called the but cam, its not new to 3rd person games >>

As for the game itself polish is something all pubs need to understand you do not release a wonky game if you do you are giving pirates all the reason they need not to buy the POS.

I got bioshock last week took me 4 days and 3 reinstalls (least the install tokens don't start to count unless I flush XP and reinstall it...which I plan to do in a month since tis acting funny, I so hope the damn thing is cracked by then so I don't have to worry about bricking my game) to get it running now that I have it running its a horrible port of a 360 game(mouse lag anyone?) theres lil options for trouble shooting theres lil options in the menu...my god what is this hollywood?

BTW photo bucket runs a free video service last I checked you have more control over it than youtube its something to look at at this point and time anythign is better than the current single vid only setup.

prehaps a download the video option since streaming protection is cracked weekly and rather pointless to use to start with.

Befor I forget, remakes can be good if they treat the old IP with some respect Wild arms Alter F whatever is not so bad altho its been dcked with, I hate needless changes in remakes either make a updated port and offer user options where you can adjust it to your liking to whatever crack smoked version the director is making or simply don't remake it...

FF3 is a nice remake ,I'd love to see 4 and 6 done in FF10/FF12 style tho not the uber chibi DS style....

All time worst remake that had a chance of greatness for me are the Lunar remakes they gutted and spat on the gameplay, weapons and spells to dumb it down to a FF game fcking sad....Lunar is still a 11 for me and the remakes barely make 7 each.....

I know some of you are still experiencing issues with the video player. We're working on it and so is our video system provider.

If you're having trouble, drop us a line and let us know what the issue is. I would ask, however, that you please not try to solve the problem for yourself and others by posting these videos to YouTube. That's a violation of our copyright. We offer the videos for free. If you enjoy them please enjoy them here, where we can generate ad money which will allow us to keep making more of them.

Most of the people reading this message probably already know all of this. I'm speaking to the rare few who don't and think they aren't hurting anyone by stealing our stuff. Guess what? You're wrong. We're not a big, faceless corporation here, guys. We're a small company made up of gamers and freaks just like you, and if you steal our stuff, it makes it harder for us to keep making it. I'm not sure I can put it any more simply than that.

In any case, YouTube is respectful of our rights even if some folks aren't. Every video posted there will be taken down. Our pages will not. Draw your own conclusions.

For issues with the video system, please send me an email and let me know what operating system you're using, what browser you're using and what your problem is. We're working with the provider to iron out the bugs and the extra info really helps.

editor@escapistmag.com

Those of you experiencing the "blank page" error might want to try installing the latest version of Flash here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

I really can't see the video. I feel really stupid and it's probably something really obvious but I can't seem to figure it out. Csn one of you youngsters tell me how this works. lol?

Have been following since the first one, but decided I had to finally find my voice... or rather... my fingers. And a keyboard... and words to form rather simplistic sentences. I will always look forward to Wednesdays to see the new review.

Brilliant.

Er, how do you see the video? I can't seem to get it.

And yet, I laughed the hardest at 'Balleesteeks!' Well played Yahtzee.

Heh, the T.A.R.D.I.S makes a brief cameo there.
I only played the 1st game, but I saw the rest played on friends' computers. Just like you said, it all pretty much seemed the same to me. Camera angle-based games can be quite the pain sometimes. One has only to look at Star Wars Episode One. Going back further, Bioforge made for some tedious game play due to the camera, albeit a static camera.

I had a small stint at it, and I was thinking pretty much what you said, although there's something magical to a british accent ranting it off at a high tempo that makes me border on giggling. Uncontrollably at that.

I didn't enjoy the game at all. It felt like a simple redo of previous games, just dumbed down and simplified ( not to the degree Oblivion was, but I won't start on that here ). Whether they be Prince of Persia or Tomb Raider, and for some reason that made me feel cheated to the point where I put the game away and hid in a corner to sulk, it made me feel like I had done all of it before.

I'm glad others share some of the same views as me, though perhaps not as disappointed as me.

I love how you end everyone of these review. Nice job!

Russ Pitts:
I know some of you are still experiencing issues with the video player. We're working on it and so is our video system provider.

If you're having trouble, drop us a line and let us know what the issue is. I would ask, however, that you please not try to solve the problem for yourself and others by posting these videos to YouTube. That's a violation of our copyright. We offer the videos for free. If you enjoy them please enjoy them here, where we can generate ad money which will allow us to keep making more of them.

Most of the people reading this message probably already know all of this. I'm speaking to the rare few who don't and think they aren't hurting anyone by stealing our stuff. Guess what? You're wrong. We're not a big, faceless corporation here, guys. We're a small company made up of gamers and freaks just like you, and if you steal our stuff, it makes it harder for us to keep making it. I'm not sure I can put it any more simply than that.

In any case, YouTube is respectful of our rights even if some folks aren't. Every video posted there will be taken down. Our pages will not. Draw your own conclusions.

For issues with the video system, please send me an email and let me know what operating system you're using, what browser you're using and what your problem is. We're working with the provider to iron out the bugs and the extra info really helps.

editor@escapistmag.com

Those of you experiencing the "blank page" error might want to try installing the latest version of Flash here: http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

Keep nawing away at it hopeful they can get it running better this year but until then is it really so hard to use youtube as a alternative, they have shown they will smite any unlawful posts of them altho the trouble still stands of pipeing ad rev to the pages and thats always a pain to balance out.

Have you looked at places like photobukect,if your album is set to private only links to the picture will work thus making it perfect as a backup because only the link from the video page will show it its not like youtube where you can search for a video and watch it.

Oh well if there is no alternative one can only wait I guess.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here