Escape to the Movies: Monsters University

Pages PREV 1 2

Not only are they adding a sequel to Finding Nemo, they're also coming up with Toy Story 4 and another cars movie

RIP Pixar.

TakerFoxx:
Every time I see someone knocking Brave it always confuses me a little, as I thought it was fantastic, easily one of my top five favorite Pixar movies. But then, I'm a sucker for Celtic lore and music, so it's possible that I'm biased. :P

i didnt think it was bad it just...wasnt what i expected. i feel the trailer was very misleading. i thought it was going to be a movie about female independence and it kind of was, for like the first half hour. then it suddenly turned in to a mother daughter bonding movie.

also, does anyone know how to close the eve ad that surrounds the video? i could find any x or close button to click on and had to refresh the page in order to close it

hermes200:

Scarim Coral:
Danm I thought this week is World War Z which I've just came back home watching it. Good to know that Monster University isn't that bad compared to hte prvious two Pixar film so I guess I may give this a watched if I'm going to the cinema soon (I probably end up watching Pacific Rim next).

How is it?

It's OK-ish, but lacking the awesomeness of a disaster movie or the scariness of a horror movie. It's a fun time, just not excelling in any memorable way. I suspect non-fans of the book will hae a better time watching it.

ZZoMBiE13:

Super Not Cosmo:

Anyway, Bob just pretty much confirmed what I expected about this movie. I just wish if Pixar is going to insist on diving into doing sequels they pencil in a sequel for The Incredibles.

Amen brother. It's the one Pixar property that makes the most sense for a follow up.

Idea: Guy has 21 powers that interchange at near-random. To keep his powers from getting too unpredictible he wears an Edna Mode-made suit of 21 cards that draws one whenever he changes powers, showing him just what power he's using. He has a motif of gambling and luck, and he has to deal with some powers he "draws from the deck" that aren't too usable. His character growth is that he learns that EVERY power he has, has a use, and at the pinnacle of his development, masters all 21 powers and is able to use each one whenever he wants.

The musical score is in sets of threes and sevens (cause 7*3=# of powers he has). The underlying themes of the movie can be "luck is what you make it" or "innovation leads to success".

Name of the movie: BlackJack

(because he's actually Jack-Jack Parr)

00slash00:

i didnt think it was bad it just...wasnt what i expected. i feel the trailer was very misleading. i thought it was going to be a movie about female independence and it kind of was, for like the first half hour. then it suddenly turned in to a mother daughter bonding movie.

That's actually one of the main reasons I liked it so much. Tomboy princess rebelling against her conservative parents (or parent, whichever) and making a statement about female independence? Seen it dozens of times. But make the conservative mother one of the two mains, have her survive the whole movie, and make the focus on them trying to repair their relationship while reconciling their very different viewpoints? And oh yeah, the mother gets turned into a freaking bear, something that her loving husband absolutely despises? Now that was a new one.

Captcha: Great for Windows 7 (referring to Internet Explorer). Why do you make me speak lies, captcha?

There may be a very good reason for this, but why was he speaking with a mild Boston accent the whole time? Does he always? I've watched many of his reviews and I feel like he doesn't normally.

Grenge Di Origin:

ZZoMBiE13:

Super Not Cosmo:

Anyway, Bob just pretty much confirmed what I expected about this movie. I just wish if Pixar is going to insist on diving into doing sequels they pencil in a sequel for The Incredibles.

Amen brother. It's the one Pixar property that makes the most sense for a follow up.

Idea: Guy has 21 powers that interchange at near-random. To keep his powers from getting too unpredictible he wears an Edna Mode-made suit of 21 cards that draws one whenever he changes powers, showing him just what power he's using. He has a motif of gambling and luck, and he has to deal with some powers he "draws from the deck" that aren't too usable. His character growth is that he learns that EVERY power he has, has a use, and at the pinnacle of his development, masters all 21 powers and is able to use each one whenever he wants.

The musical score is in sets of threes and sevens (cause 7*3=# of powers he has). The underlying themes of the movie can be "luck is what you make it" or "innovation leads to success".

Name of the movie: BlackJack

(because he's actually Jack-Jack Parr)

It's like Ben 10... only double! Plus 1!

Kidding aside, it's not a bad idea. I'd lose the Incredibles tie-in, make friends with an artist (or if you are one, have at it) and make it a webcomic like, tomorrow.

For once i'd like to see a Pixar reveiw without a dig at 'Cars', I know this reveiw didn't really do that and that Bob has actually stood up for it in the past but my word geek culture, get the fuck over it, its not for you. Im not saying the films are perfect and Mator is bloody annoying but they're still solid structure wise and the characters are enjoyable.

I agree with critising 'Brave' though, that film was nice but abit of a mess and didn't deserve those awards.

Merida was still badass though.

Draconalis:
Did I misunderstand him, or did Bob just say he didn't like Brave?

I'm confused.

He called it a "noble misfire", I believe?

Basically he was saying that it was a noble effort, but not especially good.

Which is the general consensus on Brave, it seems. Although I've personally never seen it.

Feel free to be looser with the accent, Bob. You don't have to hide it from us.

Wait, so there's a sequence comparable in greatness to the incredible "Jesse's Back-story" scene in Toy Story 2, but the movie's still a let-down?

Kahani:
So, basically the same as Shrek 2. A completely unnecessary sequel that sounds like it's going to be a crap attempt to desperately cash in on a popular film, but that actually turns out to be pretty good despite missing out on the originality of the... original. I think I can live with that.

Lilani:
a more neutral accent he puts on to be more understandable

More understandable? Speaking as a non-American, Bob has just about the most generic American accent ever, and I can't hear any difference at all in any of his videos. Preumably it's more noticeable to people familiar with the local accents over there, but I don't see how anyone could ever consider him difficult to understand.

Watch his first video and then watch this one, you can't miss the difference. I mean, I cant explain what the difference between a posh and northern english accent are because I'm not from there but I can hear a difference for certain. Its not so much difficult to understand, his Boston accent is not too hard to understand just different (some people from Boston though... it can get really tough), its more that in North America you are told that using a neutral accent is better for getting jobs particularly for broadcasting so people with noticeable regional accents try to mask it.

Wait, Moviebob didn't like Brave? That movie was fantastic!

Sooo is the Abominable Snowman in it? Because when I hear "New Pixar Movie" I just start wondering what Ratzenberger will be voicing.

Okay... just a note about the Mega Man snippit after the Review...

I'd Love to be able to see the Whole Battle Network Version of Mega Man in Smash Brothers... I didn't get to play a Mega Man Game in its Glory days, so the version of MegaMan I grew up envisioning was the one from the Anime...

...And for Clarity the Anime was based off of Battle Network, as I discovered one day.

At such, my vision of Megaman, as skewed from the original concept as it is, kind of expects him to be a little taller... And Skinner... And well... Look Kinda like Me I guess.

Not that I actually have a problem with having Classic Mega Man... It's just a personal Preference.

...Then again... My personal Preference also Dictates that I'd like a little gag from the Anime where Mega Man starts turning into a Cat to be a thing...

...Which we all know isn't going to happen...

...What's more sad Is I was actually rooting for the unlikely possibility that MegaMan would be stuck a Cat.

(=^_^=) <Nyan)

I'm starting to feel weirded out by how much MovieBob hates Dreamworks. Even something like "How To Train Your Dragon" only gets a "passable to alright" response from MovieBob, while the laziest Pixar works are given entire orbits of slack. He may hark on Cars 2 as a "misfire" now, but I remember pretty well that MovieBob's original response to it was that it was better than the (mediocre at best) original and it was very smart to place the CHARACTER EVERYONE HATED THE MOST in the center of the story.

And now Monster University's only problem is that we already know the business is a scam? Frat-house movies are bad. Always have been. Plastering a Pixar IP on top of it isn't making the genre any more watchable.

Meanwhile, Dreamworks movies aren't even worth his precious time reviewing, much less any "lesser" animation studios.

Bob's snobbish attitude that Nintendo and Pixar can never do wrong and that their mistakes are still leagues above anything in the competition is more than just fanboyish...

There is the cat suit, I knew you'd talk about it bob.

A prequel to Monsters Inc. Now I love me some pixar, but I'm getting kind of upset that they keep making spinoffs and sequels to movies that don't need or deserve them (I'm looking at you Cars) while the one franchise that begs for a sequel the most is ignored. Seriously where is the Incredibles 2?! Superhero movies are the most popular genre right now, and the incredibles have been sustaining a comic book series AND make appearances in games like Disney Infinity, even if it was a BAD one an Incredibles movie could be a huge success in the box office right now. Instead I have to look at a 15 foot wide display for Planes in my local theater >_<

To be fair, Brave was an absolutely fantastic movie, and I felt it was Pixar going back on the right track.

But man did those trailers really kill it. It was never a "princess" movie that so many people dismissed it as.

It revolved around LISTENING to your opposition, understanding their point of view, and acknowledging that not everything revolves around you and you have to make the hard choices- even if it doesn't benefit you, to keep a balance.

Most of all though is that you cannot fundamentally change someone to fit your views. Otherwise you'll regret it, and you will the one that becomes the bad guy.
This probably would've been executed better if they didn't fire the original director of the movie.

She even stated that Brave was her idea in the first place. While it stayed close to her original plan, she probably would've marketed it better. However it is now a sub par movie
And honestly I'm getting tired of Lassiter pulling that shit.

This is the same bullshit he pulled with the movie Bolt.
It was supposed to be a Chris Sanders movie. Of course, knowing that Chris Sanders created movies like the likes of Lilo and Stich, one should know he's into quirky, weird, and childlike humor with a touch of underlaying adult themes. What happned? Lassiter said it was too "quirky", fired the guy, put another director in charge of the story, and released a sub par movie.
Lassiter. stop that. Seriously. It's bullshit.

OT: Moviebob is right on this. I didn't think MU was going to be a BAD movie, but it would be silly to think that it would be on the emotional scale of the first movie. (Or any Pixar movie to be precise.) Of course I would have to see it for myself to make any more in depth judgements.
However based on what was said in the review, I think they could indeed of gone a little further with the lies revealed and later debunked in the original Monsters movie.
Like we all KNOW that the Monsters were lied to about children being poisonous, but let's be real here, I'm pretty sure there were a fair amount of monsters who wouldn't believe that garbage unless they had first hand proof.
So this was the perfect way to show JUST HOW they manipulated the general public into getting these ideas. Did they kidnap kids? Did they actually kill those monsters and made it look like children did it? Quite a few things could've been explored here.

Alas like what many people stated in this thread, had the first movie never come out this would've worked much better.

Never noticed Bob had a thick Boston accent until he said "Powah Sauce"

I'm on holiday in Florida and aren't sure what movies we wanna see, its between Star Trek: Into Darkness (is that the name?) Monsters University and World War Z.

TizzytheTormentor:
Never noticed Bob had a thick Boston accent until he said "Powah Sauce"

I'm on holiday in Florida and aren't sure what movies we wanna see, its between Star Trek: Into Darkness (is that the name?) Monsters University and World War Z.

Go for Star Trek, it's a fun movie.

Gonna go see MU next week, until then I don't want to say anything about it, maybe it works, maybe it's broken, I'll see.

Movie Bob:

"I'll take [Monsters University] over... another Cars installment"

hiei82:

Movie Bob:

Note that Planes is not branded as Pixar at all, just Disney.

Merklyn236:

Lastly, did I miss something in Monsters Inc? They show that Waternoose (sp?) and Randall know that touching a child isn't dangerous - but does anyone in the Monster world know that laughter is more powerful than screaming? I got the whole "children are poisonous" part of the conspiracy, but where was the acknowledgement from the villains - or anyone else - that a better power source was available (i.e. laughter)? I thought the problem was that no one had ever tried to use laughter before (aka looking for alternative fuels), not that there was a conspiracy to not use it.

True, it doesn't take long to understand that once Boo's rather infectious laughter starts shorting out equipment, but I thought that was a case of "sometimes the best solution is the one right in front of you."

That did not occur to me when I saw Monsters, Inc. Sometimes Bob applies his own views to a movie, even when there isn't a message.

I blame disney for the recent demise of pixar.

Peter200lx:

hiei82:

Movie Bob:

Note that Planes is not branded as Pixar at all, just Disney.

True; but that doesn't make it not another Cars installment since it takes place in the same world.

Besides; Disney has done some good animation as well (See Wreck It Ralph)

hiei82:

True; but that doesn't make it not another Cars installment since it takes place in the same world.

Besides; Disney has done some good animation as well (See Wreck It Ralph)

Disney can do good original animation, totally agree Wreck It Ralph was a great movie. Good sequels? not so much.

Pixar did do a really good job on Toy Story 2&3, but that's Pixar.

Just got back from seeing Monsters University and I enjoyed it a great deal. Pretty much what Bob said, not the best Pixar movie ever, but still funny as hell in it's own right. I didn't find the fact that the original kind of renders the whole premise of this one moot to be that big of a deal-breaker; the scare business is really just the framing for some funny college movie gags and building on Mike and Sully's relationship.

Am I the only one who remembers Mike saying in the original that he and Sully have known each other since they were kids?
'You've been jealous of my good looks since 4th grade, pal.' -Mike

I'm surprised no one else seems to have picked up on that.

Scarim Coral:
Is Bob voice off again or something wrong with the voice editing he may had used?

I think Bob was proving to someone that he really was from Boston.

Hey, Bob, listen, I think you blabbed a misnomer here, The scaring industry doesn't "turn out to be a scam" it turns into a scam during the movie. Buu was the first potential victim of the backroom kidnappings that started only recently. Scaring was perfectly legit up until that point.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here